Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Vintage York Dumbbells

Im looking at trying to get some vintage york roundhead dumbbells and hoping someone hear can give me some information to help me in determining differences within those dumbbells that York has produced over the years.

This is what I've been ale to piece together so far:

1) The oldest versions do not have a USA stamp on them
    2) At some point York started stamping Usa on the dumbell, but i dont know where and what the stamp looked like.
    3) More recently, York started re-making the roundheaded dumbbells and calling them "Legacy"

Can any of you gents shed some light on this topic?

Thanks.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

York DBs and Roundheads

York Roundheads from the 70's to early 90's are beautiful dumbbells and add character to a home gym. My sense of the "USA" marked Yorks is that they were made in the early to mid-90's when York started making weights outside of the US. The "USA" markings were to indicate their higher quality, US-made stuff.

Roundheads are so named because the heads of the dumbbells are round and pill-shaped. Older Yorks are referred to as buns or globes, again, because of their shape.

I recently made the switch from foreign-made hex dumbbells to vintage roundheads and I'm glad that I did. They are awesome.

If I have time later, I'll take a pic of one of my roundheads with the "USA" marking.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Arrow Find them and buy them!

Originally Posted by Hifihunter View Post
    Im looking at trying to get some vintage york roundhead dumbbells and hoping someone hear can give me some information to help me in determining differences within those dumbbells that York has produced over the years.
    You won't find any vintage York roundheads and if you do, they'll be snapped up quickly by those who want them for reasons other than convential lifting; they are usually cut up for "blobs" and lifted individually for pinch grip movements. This probably explains why York is now making them again. You might not want to hear this, but I'll go ahead and tell you anyway: about 7 years ago, I bought roughly 900 pounds worth of old York DB's and cut them up for blobs because the demand of blobs was so great - I made a killing doing that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks View Post
    You won't find any vintage York roundheads and if you do, they'll be snapped up quickly by those who want them for reasons other than convential lifting; they are usually cut up for "blobs" and lifted individually for pinch grip movements. This probably explains why York is now making them again. You might not want to hear this, but I'll go ahead and tell you anyway: about 7 years ago, I bought roughly 900 pounds worth of old York DB's and cut them up for blobs because the demand of blobs was so great - I made a killing doing that.
    Probably what the guy did with these too!!!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=4275669

Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hifihunter is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I found these...

See attached pictures. I've already located a 20lbs-70lbs set that includes pairs every 5lbs. Just trying to get as much information on what these really are before I show up to purchase.

I think that they are the older ones, but I'm not sure. I've always liked the look of these dumbbells, but I've never handled any of them personally. Any concerns with them? Were there real problems with the heads of these coming off, or was that just in extreme abuse cases where they were dropped repeatedly? I'd hate to have one of those "blobs" hit me in the face. Thanks.
    Attached Images

Registered User mensagitatmolem's Avatar
    mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mensagitatmolem is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had a decent sized set of York roundheads, which were the older version. Ended up selling the set a while ago, which I should have kept, but such is life. Only had one end that was not completely tight. And, that was with dropping them on a regular basis on rubber mats, as well as them being fairly old.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See attached pictures. I've already located a 20lbs-70lbs set that includes pairs every 5lbs. Just trying to get as much information on what these really are before I show up to purchase.

I think that they are the older ones, but I'm not sure. I've always liked the look of these dumbbells, but I've never handled any of them personally. Any concerns with them? Were there real problems with the heads of these coming off, or was that just in extreme abuse cases where they were dropped repeatedly? I'd hate to have one of those "blobs" hit me in the face. Thanks.
    Those are awesome. Buy them, assuming that they are under $1.00 a pound. I'm putting together my set now. I've got almost all between 5 and 50, with only the 15s missing. I'll pick up the 15s and 55s and 60s at the end of the month from a source.
    Last edited by AttyGuy; 04-20-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Not necessarily true. A lot of guys use them for working out and many collect them. Blobs can be controversial for the reason mentioned. People cut perfectly good dumbbells to make grip weights. Cutting a db with a bent bar is one thing, destrying a perfectly good db is another. . .

The "Legacy" roundhead dumbbells that York makes are made in China, same as their Legacy milled Olympic plates. If you have the time and patience, go for American iron and pass on the new stuff. Nothing wrong with the new stuff. The US-made iron is cooler.

Getting them

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    Those are awesome. Buy them, assuming that they are under $1.00 a pound. I'm putting together my set now. I've got almost all between 5 and 50, with only the 15s missing. I'll pick up the 15s and 55s and 60s at the end of the month from a source.
    I hope to get them later this week. If things go well, Ill need a few of the lighter ones for the wife to use, so let me know if you know where i can get some of those pairs under 20lbs. Thanks for the help.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    The old school, strongman York iron can go for a lot of money. . .

I hope to get them later this week. If things go well, Ill need a few of the lighter ones for the wife to use, so let me know if you know where i can get some of those pairs under 20lbs. Thanks for the help.
    Search Tempest and other engines are your friend. eBay is another source and I will have an extra pair of 5s I could sell you later this week. Interestingly, York made roundhead dbs in one-pound increments from 1- to 10-lbs., then 12-lbs., followed by five pound increments from 15 to 100-lbs. It's pretty stupid to cut up a good condition 100-lb. York roundhead given how rare they are.

When you get them make sure that the handles are tight (roundheads are not one-piece dbs. The heads were poured around the handle ends. If you decide to repaint, Rustoleum Painter's Choice semi-gloss black looks really good on them.

rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000) rthawker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    It's a misleading ad. You would think for that price they are selling all that is pictured but if you read the description they are only selling one set of 100's.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rthawker View Post
    It's a misleading ad. You would think for that price they are selling all that is pictured but if you read the description they are only selling one set of 100's.
    ya I think they changed it when they thought someone would just but the 100's for 1500
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

Registered Ginger Muscle Mania Matt's Avatar
    Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    someone on craigslist had pairs of 130's, 150's, and 180's of york legacy dumbbells, and simple wanted to train for a compound bow....I was too slow
    -[[[[------]]]]-

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew

getting them.

Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post
    someone on craigslist had pairs of 130's, 150's, and 180's of york legacy dumbbells, and simple wanted to train for a compound bow....I was too slow
    I'm going to pick these up from the guy selling them tomorrow; I'll send pics once they are in hand....

Got 'em!

I'm going to pick these up from the guy selling them tomorrow; I'll send pics once they are in hand....
    I picked these up on Friday. The deal included a 3-Tier older BodySolid Rack, Old York Roundhead Dumbbells (20lbs-70lbs in 5 lb. increments), a pair of hex 85lb'ers, a pair of hex 95lb'ers, and some cheap plate weights with a plate tree, a curl bar and a cheap Oly. bar.

- Pics Attached...

(990lbs of Yorks)
    (360lbs of Hex)

All for $450.

I'll try and sell the Plate weights, bars, and tree and re-coup maybe a $100. I'd like to eventually replace those Hex's with some heavier matching Yorks, but I'm pretty happy that they were included in the deal.

This puts the York dumbbells at $0.45/lb. with the rack and everything else just free. If I include the hex's, I paid less than $0.35/lb for the dumbbells; gotta love the C-List!
    Attached Images

Hot

That's so f-in' hot, seeing all of those beautiful roundheads.

Congratulations.

Registered User Cpl.Girthington's Avatar
    Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000)
    When I think of dumbbell, that is the shape and design that first pops in to my head. I bought new dumbbells about four years ago, prior to the re-release of the York roundhead "legacy" line. I still think about selling my 12 sided db's and getting the round heads, they're that cool to me.

Congratulations, my friend those are awesome.
    Last edited by Cpl.Girthington; 04-25-2011 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added words

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with the look of the round heads, I have a set from 15-35 lbs that I bought back in the early 80's and since have collected the hex style dumbells because they are available. Even though I have had enough hex's to have a complete matched set, my 15-35's are still the old Yorks. Hopefully my set will be all round heads one day, if the prices are right, because I like the looks of them over the hexes and pro-style dumbells.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    I agree with the look of the round heads, I have a set from 15-35 lbs that I bought back in the early 80's and since have collected the hex style dumbells because they are available. Even though I have had enough hex's to have a complete matched set, my 15-35's are still the old Yorks. Hopefully my set will be all round heads one day, if the prices are right, because I like the looks of them over the hexes and pro-style dumbells.
    Craigslist. You can find what you are looking for there, with patience. I've gone to all roundheads from 10-50, including the 12-lb. dbs. I'll go up to 70-lbs as resources and opportunities allow.

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Craigslist. You can find what you are looking for there, with patience. I've gone to all roundheads from 10-50, including the 12-lb. dbs. I'll go up to 70-lbs as resources and opportunities allow.
    I've been following CL and it's a cr*pshoot, patience is the key.

I'm just getting back into the game after about 15 years and have already found some great deals on cheaper CAP type oly sets and hex DB's along with a couple of benches and a power rack. The best deals seem to be packages and then flipping what you don't need need.

I've got what I absolutely need for know, and will keep my eyes open for better stuff.

Thanks.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    The best deals seem to be packages and then flipping what you don't need need.
    Yeah. I bought a mixed collection of dumbbells (10-50) and a rack yesterday just to get the 12-lb and 15-lb roundheads. Seriously. I'm flipping with the intent of getting back what I paid for the collection. To have the full set from 10 to 50 pounds is a wonderful feeling.

Now to add 55 to 70 pound roundheads. . . .

Impressions

Ok, ive had a couple of workouts with the roundheads now under my belt. I really like the feel of these dumbbells. It takes a little time getting used to the slick grip design (no knurlng). Chalk makes this a non-issue and im usually using my Tyler Grips anyway. I lucked out and none of my dumbbells have any bent or loose grips; they are tight and easily balanced overhead when pressing. Overall, im very happy. Id like to pick up some 10's and 15's at some point amd maybe eventually a set or 2 above 70.

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Love my Yorks

Hifihunter... know that the straight handles start at 15 lbs.. below that (12 and under) they are all cast as one piece.

I've got the vintage roundheads 15-40 lbs. in the straight handles, and the smaller single casting ones in pairs of 3, 5,7,8,19,12, and only one 2.

I repainted them all and love 'em!! Maybe someday I'll get a few more (45-60, for a 10 saddle rack) but I'm not sure. Got them mostly thru ebay & craigslist. I managed to pick up the 25s for $20 (.40/lb). I rushed over to get those.

Sure I wish they had knurling, but they just feel well balanced and great in my hands.
    I'm only ecto on the outside

Originally Posted by Bryan88MA View Post
    I've got the vintage roundheads 15-40 lbs. in the straight handles, and the smaller single casting ones in pairs of 3, 5,7,8,19,12, and only one 2.
    I've got an extra 2. Shipping is what's expensive.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've got an extra 2. Shipping is what's expensive.
    Really? I wonder what shipping would be? There was a local guy that had an extra 2 but I lost touch with him.
    I'm only ecto on the outside

Originally Posted by Bryan88MA View Post
    Really? I wonder what shipping would be? There was a local guy that had an extra 2 but I lost touch with him.
    Check shipping via USPS from 22302 to your zip code for 2.5 pounds (covering packaging). Inflation is hitting everything, including the postal service.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So Im assuming $.45/lb would be a very good deal for a large set of old-school yorks? Whats the difference between the real roundheads and ones with the flat spot?
    "Stimulate, don't Annihilate."

- Lee Haney

"God has smiled on me and he's been good to me;
    God has smiled on me and he has set me free."

- Afroman

Originally Posted by retro_roots View Post
    So Im assuming $.45/lb would be a very good deal for a large set of old-school yorks? Whats the difference between the real roundheads and ones with the flat spot?
    "Real" roundheads have the flat spot. You are thinking of globes. Yes, 45 cents a pound is a great price.