Closed Thread
    axlroseband has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Does the Ab Machine actually work?

I remember when I first started going to the gym years ago and never read on a program or anything. I made my own routine and I remember twice a week I would do the ab machine. 3 sets, 10-12 reps or so. I am pretty sure I did it on the max weight and I did it proper everytime. Never tired me and I don't remember feeling too much.

I had a bit of a gut, so maybe I thought it would help? But from what I have learned over the years... The only way to get that 6 pack is lower your body fat below 10%. Then your abs will show, regardless. If you do core exercises, they will tighten them up a bit more.

I haven't done that machine since then. I always see old people, new people to the gym, etc using it.

Does it work? Is there a point to this thing?

Registered User clydeknightwind's Avatar
    clydeknightwind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

depends

Ab work in general does very little to work you out unless you doing a ton of reps to more or less failure and even then it's only gonna tire to out because you went in the range of failure. The machine can definitely help build your abs if used correctly and with other ab work, but honestly I would do machineless abdominal exercises, and if you can't see your abs (have a layer of fat over them), ab workouts don't burn many calories. There is no such thing as targeted fat loss, unless you use lipo ha.

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i use the ab machine to strengthen my abs,not get a 6 pack.i figure its a pretty big muscle to ignore.plus i like to push and pull things in the same direction,i use the back extension so i think this machine is close enough.

joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it works your abs...

dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougie83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most trainers would tell you to avoid the ab machine

FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrancoTAU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I stick to non machine ab work because I'm inclined to cheat using my upper body on those ab machines.

usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dougie83 View Post
    Most trainers would tell you to avoid the ab machine
    trainers also have their fattest clients doing numerous crunches for no end.
    what i know is most trainers dont know ****

it will strengthen abs not necessarily help them show
    "Live and Fly Standards High Delta Chi Till I Die"

"Your not alive unless your living."

"When you want to succeed as bad you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

"The Whole ****ing Nine Yards!"

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

texan23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It will strengthen ur abs but won't give u a 6 pack with out having a low enough body fat. Really the best ab workouts r on the floor or on non machines
    But I like the ab machines every once awile for strength because with out strong abs u can't do **** with ur back
    Ever tear the hell out of ur abs then try to do back. It's not possible lol

axlroseband has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No I realize it will no show your abs. I said that in my original post.

I was just wondering if it actually did a good job strengthening them opposed to crunches or a core type of exercise.

Yes I also know there is no such thing as fat exercise. Sometimes I would like to help those people wasting time on the machine, but then again it's not my business. At least they are working out regardless.

texan23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd say normal ab work outs are better. Expecislly leg raises and side dips with weight nothing beats those. Really machines aren't good or much unless its a really hard lift and you have no spotter.
    I advise any one to not use the ab machine as a primary ab work out.

Rickohr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It works very well as part of an overall abdominal workout program but you have to be disciplined about using the right weight so you can do controlled repititions where you contract hold and extend concentrating on working the abdominals for a repitition range of 25 to 30 per set and doing a high volume of sets like 3 to 5 sets for that one abdominal exercise and in total doing 3 to 5 total abdominal exercises in the ab session

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    6 year old thread