Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    Air1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Motivation and Alcoholism

I have all the motivation in the world but happen to be an alcoholic. I've done AA on and off but its hard to stick to being that I also have social anxiety (double whammy). I've been in the gym and off the bottle for 2 weeks now and feel great. I'm just afraid that without a solid recovery plan I'll slip up and fall back into my old habit, and working out will be the last thing on my mind.

If anyone else is dealing with or has delt with this problem I would love any Ideas or guidance on what you did or are doing. Thanks

Registered User rancid_theclash's Avatar
    rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hear ya on this one buddy, Just keep on working out even if you're hungover.... Make sure you stick to your workout schedule No matter what... I find the harder and longer you've been working out the more damage you'll realize it's doing then you wont want to be hungover for the next days workout or you'll realize you have a workout that night so you'll stay in to do that instead of going out with a buddy etc. ( even though we both know how fun it is lol)

blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blrhoover has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Just know that alcohol greatly, greatly decreases your body's ability to manufacture muscle.

CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000) CarlWayne88 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It is healthy to have 2 glasses of wine?
    - Bernie Sanders 2016

Quit Smoking Crew 03/01/2015
    Quit Drinking Crew 04/12/2015

Originally Posted by rancid_theclash View Post
    I hear ya on this one buddy, Just keep on working out even if you're hungover.... Make sure you stick to your workout schedule No matter what... I find the harder and longer you've been working out the more damage you'll realize it's doing then you wont want to be hungover for the next days workout or you'll realize you have a workout that night so you'll stay in to do that instead of going out with a buddy etc. ( even though we both know how fun it is lol)
    Thanks...Yeah buyt when I go out I'm the type of guy that doesnt have hangovers cause I keep drinking 2 or 3 days straight lol...So far so good tho just gonna keep pounding away.

Lol I wish I could dring 2 glasses of wine and stop..that would just piss me off.

ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ahopetoday1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Air1983 View Post
    I have all the motivation in the world but happen to be an alcoholic. I've done AA on and off but its hard to stick to being that I also have social anxiety (double whammy). I've been in the gym and off the bottle for 2 weeks now and feel great. I'm just afraid that without a solid recovery plan I'll slip up and fall back into my old habit, and working out will be the last thing on my mind.

If anyone else is dealing with or has delt with this problem I would love any Ideas or guidance on what you did or are doing. Thanks
    I've had some serious trouble with alcy in the past. I lifted hard and attained some nice size and then lost it all when I started drinking all the time. Essentially, I drank a bunch and started gaining fat, then I started overcompensating by eating less, and eventually got a serious ED which left me at 125lbs and really messed up my hormones. After over a year of recovering/lifting/eating my body is still pretty messed up. I pretty much had to hit the bottom to realize what I was doing to myself and change but at least I've learned a lot about my body in the process.

IMO you just need to stop drinking completely for awhile. From my own experience, whenever I would 'reward' myself with a few drinks it would eventually lead to a relapse/binge. You have made it two weeks already so just keep up with it. Also try and surround yourself with ppl that support a positive lifestyle. I found an awesome gf that is really supportive and slowly stopped talking to my old friends who still just keep getting wasted at bars and not really going anywhere in life. Keep us posted man

igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    we are all here for you man 2 weeks is amazing lets keep it going .
    "Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
    I rep back

Thanks everyone for the support. Hey ahopetoday1 I know exactly were your at. I'm I guess you could say at my bottom right now. I've always worked out but alcohol has kept me from getting to where I really want to be. I've just about destroyed my life and every relationship i've been in. Im recently divourced and due to my legal background am unemployed. The only thing that keeps me going is working out. I look forward to waking up when I have a big lift. It helps me structure my days and eat on schedule. Since I'm not working it would be easy to stay up all night and get plastered but it makes me actually want to go to sleep early so I can recover.

The problem is this motivation always wanes with time. I guess partly because no one can exist in a vacuum and I get lonely and thats when drinking seems the best thing to do. I picked up that but body by design by the dude from this site. and although its an obviouse ad for this site and its products it made a good point about having a social network. So thats what I'm trying to do now. I'm pretty shy and even talking online is a stretch but Im gonna give it a try cause I wanna change.

All that being said Ill continue to update you guys and look forward to getting to know as many people as I can. We cant do it alone.

MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10) MindWentBlank is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Air1983 View Post

Thanks for the post. I've been clean/sober for 14 months now and life is great. For me the gym is a big part of recovery, but I also go to NA meetings and work the steps. For me the most important part about staying away from the bad **** is to keep recovery first in my life, and help other people who are suffering. For me it takes doing something recovery related daily, staying away from the old people/places/things, and working toward my career and other goals in life. Stay busy, help others, don't pick up no matter what.

Registered User GirLInterrupted's Avatar
    GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GirLInterrupted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have struggled off and on with alcohol my whole life. I also happen to be painfully shy irl as well as online I know where you are coming from. My first few times in the free weight area I kind of hid in a corner and could not wait to get out of there. I felt very out of place and uncomfortable. My husband is away in the army so I get very loney. A lot of my friends like to party on the weekends, problem is that I will go on binges for weeks sometimes. I never seem to be able to gauge when I'll do OK with it or not.

I recently went a few months without drinking at all and lifting 5 times per week. Then had something horrible happen to me personally which sent me on quite a bender. I kept it to the weekends, but drank from Friday night straight through until Sunday early afternoon.

I find this website to be very helpful and supportive. Good luck and keep lifting! With each day you'll feel better. Just know you are not alone
    ~Beth

The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.

My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138483533

Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanb850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

accountability buddy

Sounds like you want to get clean and I encourage you to keep doing what your doing.

Have you thought about finding someone that you can help keep you accountable? maybe someone that you can lift with?

I know AA does this, but really in anything, having someone that can support you and keep you accountable can really help keep you moving in the right direction.

cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I have walked this path

Man oh man, I have walked this path. I am not going to get into all the particulars...mainly because you guys will be reading all night.

Here is the jest...

I went through the worst divorce in the history of man kind over the past 5 years. I mean horrible horrible stuff. She used the kids and every nasty option she had. To make it worse I have been fighting alcoholism my entire life. I was headed for death. I quit working out, I drank roughly 30k in booze away. Filed BR and foreclosed on my house. My life was over, or so I thought.

On July 4th 2008 it all came to a head. I started a drinking binge 4 days earlier and was in a continual blackout...I drank and drank popped pills and finally I had done what I had set out to do all along, I drank myself to a .59 BAC and death. I flat lined on my door step to my GF house. She called an ambulance, they picked me up and brought me back. I hated them for that. I wanted to be dead and those bastards, had the balls to do that to me!

I woke up in the hospital, tubes everywhere...wires and monitors all over. I was met by a social worker and a doc...she asked why I did it and I told her I wanted to die. She told me I had to go get help...I told her to **** off and die. Needless to say I was committed. I spent 15 days in a fast detox and support facility. I was released and then within 3 month back in the hospital.

But then, something happened...I awoke in the rehab facility on my 2nd morning of my 2nd stint in there and realized it was time...it was time to pull it back together. I weighed 260 lbs and was around 29% BF. I had to do it...for my kids, but more importantly ME.

SO I did it, I went to the doctor and told her I was ready...I attended every meeting, every support group all of it. I went to 3 AA meetings a day, got a sponsor and turned my life around.

I read about so manythings in these forums, people are saying how fat they are, how they can't do it, no will power! I am saying it is bull****, because I can. Stop making excuses...pick yourself up, defy those who doubt and promise yourself sucess and happyness. NOBODY else will give that to you.

I could have typed more, but I have already typed to much...I am not ashamed to share my store, for I am proud of what I have done and who I have become.

If you have read all of this, maybe I got through to you...maybe not, I just hope that at some point...you realize that for all your problems, challenges and obstacles someone else has it worse than you do!

Thanks for reading!!!

Originally Posted by cavermeulen View Post
    Man oh man, I have walked this path. I am not going to get into all the particulars...mainly because you guys will be reading all night.

Here is the jest...

I went through the worst divorce in the history of man kind over the past 5 years. I mean horrible horrible stuff. She used the kids and every nasty option she had. To make it worse I have been fighting alcoholism my entire life. I was headed for death. I quit working out, I drank roughly 30k in booze away. Filed BR and foreclosed on my house. My life was over, or so I thought.

On July 4th 2008 it all came to a head. I started a drinking binge 4 days earlier and was in a continual blackout...I drank and drank popped pills and finally I had done what I had set out to do all along, I drank myself to a .59 BAC and death. I flat lined on my door step to my GF house. She called an ambulance, they picked me up and brought me back. I hated them for that. I wanted to be dead and those bastards, had the balls to do that to me!

I woke up in the hospital, tubes everywhere...wires and monitors all over. I was met by a social worker and a doc...she asked why I did it and I told her I wanted to die. She told me I had to go get help...I told her to **** off and die. Needless to say I was committed. I spent 15 days in a fast detox and support facility. I was released and then within 3 month back in the hospital.

But then, something happened...I awoke in the rehab facility on my 2nd morning of my 2nd stint in there and realized it was time...it was time to pull it back together. I weighed 260 lbs and was around 29% BF. I had to do it...for my kids, but more importantly ME.

SO I did it, I went to the doctor and told her I was ready...I attended every meeting, every support group all of it. I went to 3 AA meetings a day, got a sponsor and turned my life around.

I read about so manythings in these forums, people are saying how fat they are, how they can't do it, no will power! I am saying it is bull****, because I can. Stop making excuses...pick yourself up, defy those who doubt and promise yourself sucess and happyness. NOBODY else will give that to you.

I could have typed more, but I have already typed to much...I am not ashamed to share my store, for I am proud of what I have done and who I have become.

If you have read all of this, maybe I got through to you...maybe not, I just hope that at some point...you realize that for all your problems, challenges and obstacles someone else has it worse than you do!

Thanks for reading!!!
    Thanks all for the replys...Man that sounds so much like my life, except I havent had the balls to go all out and kill myself intentionally with the bottle. Although I have been close more times than I can literally remember. I know its possible to be sober and that AA could be the way. I've been in and out of the rooms for years. Im only 28 but have known I was an alcoholic since 18. I never could drink like normal people. when I start I cant stop unto I black out. Recently its advanced. Where I would black out and wake up with a hangover and sober up for a few days. I now go on drinking for 3 or 4 days or until I run outta money or get arrested.

Its been about 2 1/2 weeks that I've been "dry". Ive been working out steadily and feel great. I really wanna find a AA group I can be comfortable in and actually talk to someone instead of sitting there quiet as a church mouse. Gonna check a few out. Ill let you know how it goes.

cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cavermeulen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck my brother...find those meetings ASAP. Even if you do not have one ya like, make sure if ya are gonna drink you go there first. They are everywhere and always one going on!

bryzo2014 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up hi just out of hospital

Hey there. Ive been a massive binge drinker just had my last one. My words wouldnt come out properly i have a job kids girlfriend almost lost the lot. Just nearly died dont know why we do it. Im going back to the gym today been in hospital for a week on al kinds if drips drugs . Thats where we end up. Im going to aa tonight and every night hope ya make it

K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50) K3RB3R0S will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nothing is easy looking at it from the front, but when it is behind you it looks much easier. KEEP GOING!!
    MAY THE PROGRESS BE WITH YOU!
    455-365-545 for 5

Dreamchasers Anonymous loseitall90210's Avatar
    loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) loseitall90210 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Drinking is bad business to me for a number of reasons.
    I drink maybe twice a month if that much and I used to drink every single day for a LONG time...

Ive just come the conclusion that it ain't for me anymore. It was hard at first but I feel so GREAT! it's hard to go back to feeling like crap. Plus it ages you. I'm a very vain person, so just that along made me stop because the next day I'd feel guilty and dirty. Personally I look and feel 10 years younger.
    March 1st -June 1st Weight Loss:
    3-2: 226 | 3-9:223 | 3-16: 219 | 3-23: 215.5 | 3-30: 215 | Month Total: 11 POUNDS
    4-6: 212 | 4-13: 211 | 4-20: 208 | 4-27: 203.5 | Month Total: 8.5 POUNDS
    5-4: 200.5 | 5-11: xxx | 5-18: xxx | 5-25: xxx | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 6-1: xxx

“Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.”

“Great minds have purposes; little minds have wishes. Little minds are subdued by misfortunes; great minds rise above them.”

Registered User ChewedBubblegum's Avatar
    ChewedBubblegum is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm right there with you brother. Your post is almost 7 years old; I hope you found success. I found this thread googling alcohol and bodybuilding, because I want to make the same transition.

theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100) theboy133 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Don't give up broskii

NintendoMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ChewedBubblegum View Post
    I'm right there with you brother. Your post is almost 7 years old; I hope you found success. I found this thread googling alcohol and bodybuilding, because I want to make the same transition.
    Same here

FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FAT40 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I know what your going through, i'm still battling every day and have a good few drinks about twice a week. Was off it for 3 weeks a year ago and thought i could drink 4 beer and be satisfied. Well, it didn't work out that way. The weight lifting has helped me a little and without my family around me i don't know where i'd be right now. Currently i'm getting rid of the so-called friends i have, the ones that try to tempt you back into that lifestyle and keep friends with the ones who really understand you and help you.

keep the chin up mate and try to think positively although it can be hard.