Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slippa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Muckle_Ewe View Post
    Deal with parenthesis first.

The question is fawking stupid though. If this kinda thing ever came up in an actual equation/proof then either;

The person who wrote it like that is an idiot or, more likely,

It's obvious what to do from the context.
    Yes deal with them first, but do they need to be eliminated from 2(12)? Technically it changes to 2x12 but its still written with parentheses so shouldnt we work that first?

Missed the thread about this, dont know if this has been covered.

HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lowkeii View Post
    The answer was that the question is poorly written and no sensible professor would write a question that way and for arguments sake if he did slip up and write a poorly written question like that he would accept both answers.
    That's basically what I was thinking as well. Two answers could be ascertained depending on how you interpret it. It was a stupid way to write that in my view.

UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UjustGotTrolled has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    2 crew checkin in

TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TryHarderFish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mzzim View Post
    didn't even know about pemdas

probably just a bum off the street.
    or maybe since he's really old he hasnt been in elementary school since the 1940s. when was that pemdas **** even invented?

IRL George Costanza feardafronfz3's Avatar
    feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) feardafronfz3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lionized

DETROIT VS. EVERYBODY

kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kiwimac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MortimerC View Post
    ring theory is like the highest math there is, it's still being created if i'm not mistaken
    I did some ring theory in my maths degree, it's not that difficult (at least the basics aren't). A ring is just a set endowed with an addition and multiplication operation, and satisfying certain other properties. The easiest way to think of it is as a generalization of a set like the integers.

Originally Posted by krazykarl View Post
    nothing about math is a toss-up, which is why math is so powerful: math is absolutely absolute for ALL instances, there is never a toss-up. In equations you do addition and multiplication before any division and subtraction because multiplication and addition are commutative.
    Division is multiplication. For example, division on the reals is defined as follows: for any a,b,c in R

a/b=c iff a=bc and b is not 0

You argument makes no sense.

Originally Posted by westbigballin View Post
    You are so phucking dumb holy sh*t.

MULTIPLICATION DOES NOT TAKEN PRECEDENCE OVER DIVISION

WHY DO YOU THINK ITS PEMDAS FOR SOME, AND BEDMAS FOR OTHERS? M/D ARE DONE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, NO PRECEDENCE.

the different tiers of order of operations
    terms inside brackets
    exponents and roots
    multiplication and division
    addition and subtraction
    Actually, the left to right rule is something that seems to be taught a lot at school, but is not really a convention that is used by mathematicians. Grouping by parentheses should always be used to avoid ambiguity.
    Last edited by kiwimac; 04-16-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    "The Scots invented everything - the Thermos flask, the television set, the Venetian blind, the Irish jig, the Norwegian wood, the Dutch cap, the French letter-"
    "The Jewish New Year?"
    "And that. Also the Welsh harp, Kentucky Fried Chicken, New York, New York-"
    "It's a wonderful town."
    "The Greek Tragedy, the Roman Holiday and the Turkish Delight. Not to mention the American Pie."
    "The American Pie?"
    "I told y' not to mention that."

MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow @ people still arguing.

IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000) IllPhill is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Berkeley brah checking in. Evans hall, ugliest building on campus ftw

Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In mathematics, ring theory is the study of rings—algebraic structures in which addition and multiplication are defined and have similar properties to those familiar from the integers. Ring theory studies the structure of rings, their representations, or, in different language, modules, special classes of rings (group rings, division rings, universal enveloping algebras), as well as an array of properties that proved to be of interest both within the theory itself and for its applications, such as homological properties and polynomial identities.
    Commutative rings are much better understood than noncommutative ones. Due to its intimate connections with algebraic geometry and algebraic number theory, which provide many natural examples of commutative rings, their theory, which is considered to be part of commutative algebra and field theory rather than of general ring theory, is quite different in flavour from the theory of their noncommutative counterparts. A fairly recent trend, started in the 1980s with the development of noncommutative geometry and with the discovery of quantum groups, attempts to turn the situation around and build the theory of certain classes of noncommutative rings in a geometric fashion as if they were rings of functions on (non-existent) 'noncommutative spaces'.
    Please refer to the glossary of ring theory for the definitions of terms used throughout ring theory.
    The fuk?
    There and back again twice, a deep red's tale.

NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NYRFan68 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://math.berkeley.edu/~jawolf/vitae.html
    The guy certainly is no slouch.

my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) my.self is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NYRFan68 View Post
    http://math.berkeley.edu/~jawolf/vitae.html
    The guy certainly is no slouch.
    woah, masters 1 year after bachelors and phd 3 years after bachelors? hes either super smart or schooling did not take that long back then.
    Why the misc thinks all women are cheating whores
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133661021

If you sleep with a taken girl, you condone cheating
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170015893

SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000) SuupaBuu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not this **** again.

There's absolutely no reason you should get 2 if you do the question as is, unless you separate 48 and 2(9+3) as the numerator and denominator separately ONLY by converting the / sign as a fraction line.

Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Resonator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by krazykarl View Post
    The answer is 2, idk why this is so difficult.

a. 48/2 (9+3) (parens are ALWAYS first)
    b. 48 / 2(12) (commutative on the denominator)
    c. 48 / 24 (reduce)
    d. 2 / 1
    e. 2

There is no other possible answer. Even when you do left-to-right mult/add comes before division/sub. wtf is the big deal? (yes, CS degree. come at me algo bros)
    lol, you can't just forget about that division sign when distributing the 2.

What you're essentially saying is that you can do this:

---(9 + 3)

=

48(18 + 6)

What kind of distribution is that?

kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000) kiddink is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know why miscers argue over this stuff.

To real mathematicians this is comparable to 9 years old going up to you and saying, "THIS IDIOT THINKS 2 x 3 is 6 BUT I THINK IT'S 5"
    Last edited by kiddink; 04-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.

bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000) bobbylemke is just really nice. (+1000)
    The problem can't be solved... there's no equal sign.
    no sig right now

Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Gzus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Camera guy is annoying as hell

SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000) SICKK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IllPhill View Post
    Berkeley brah checking in. Evans hall, ugliest building on campus ftw
    I spent a lot of time there, it sucked azz.
    LA Lakers-Cal Bears-Manchester City

iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000) iliftpesos is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MortimerC View Post
    ring theory is like the highest math there is, it's still being created if i'm not mistaken
    guaranteed 'F' unless youre a wizard (srs)
    In our field, we have to be undefeated .. or else we die. The Legion of Good Samaritans ~Fitted Hat Crew~ -Misc Big Arms Crew- "Who were your role models in your early childhood?" "Role Models you say? I say Zeus, Apollo, the gods and now I too am a god!" <<<***Boston misc crew***>>>

*** Zyzz on Mt. Olympus 8.8.11 ***

etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In the UK we don't get taught the order as PEMDAS, we call it BODMAS - at least my really old-fashioned math teacher did. The idea is the same, and we were told that divide/multiply are interchangeable - just do whichever appears first.

Then again, I had to spend ages getting out of the habit of calling everything a 'bracket', so maybe my teacher just sucked.
    --
    Member of the Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Misc Guild!
    Join our forces @ http://www.swtor.com/guilds/5874/misc/

jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this guy looks like he straight up sits at home and draws up math problems all day and solves them out
    reps for life
    slowbus

rep back 400+

MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50) MortimerC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kiddink View Post
    I don't know why miscers argue over this stuff.

To real mathematicians this is comparable to 9 years old going up to you and saying, "THIS IDIOT SINCE 2 x 3 is 6 BUT I THINK IT'S 5"
    Pretty much this. People can't let go

Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ohknats is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Famin3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Google says this:

(48 / 2) * (9 + 3) = 288

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Is google ever wrong?

Edit: I know it changes the syntax, but that is how the equation is expressed using general convention