pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

[NFSC] Pretend Bulk

My most revealing pics yet! I figured I couldn't possibly be the goofiest looking entrant, so here's hoping not everyone makes me look bad

Physical Stats

Weight: 195 lbs
    Height: 6'1"
    BF: 15%
    LBW: 166 lbs

Lifting Stats

1 rep maxes (calculated):

Back Squat: 262 lb
    Chin Up: 249 lb
    Deadlift: 333 lb
    Incline Press: 144 lb

Contest Pictures - Initial (2010.04.10)

Workout Regime

Every other day, start with 20 mins moderate cardio, followed by weights. I'm following the Growth Stimulus Training program, and am a week in to my 3rd month (the weeks/months are 8/32 days for this). I udpate my Workout Journal after each session.

Nutrition Protocol

I had actually decided to recalculate and bump up my intake 2 days before AA posted his initial thread seeking input. I was eating roughly at maintenance before, maybe a bit below. This is what I did (I'm finding it hard eating this much!):

BMR ~ 2000 kcal
    Activity Factor ~ 1.5 (sit around all day at work, and at home, but I do walk places and do cardio plus bust my ass lifting 3.5 days per week)
    Maintenance ~ 3000 kcal
    Bulking ~ +500 kcal (roughly 17%)

Protein: 1.5 x LBM (166lb) ~ 250g
    Fat: 100g
    Carbs: 400g
    Calories: 3500 kcal

I may bump up the fat and drop the carbs if I'm really having trouble stuffing my belly. I'll also try to keep an eye on weight and mirror chubbiness, and reduce the surplus if I feel it's needed. I guess the 2-month progress pics will be a good check point to solicit feedback as well.

I find it easiest and simplest to eat 4 equal-sized meals a day, which is what I have been doing, but I'm going to try splitting this higher intake up into 5 meals for the sake of my belly. They'll be roughly at:

8:00 - Breakfast
    Pretty much always consists of oatmeal with fruit + scrambled eggs, with protein powder to hit macro. Sometimes on weekends I make french toast, and blow 2 meals worth of carbs in the form of maple syrup.

11:00 - Morning Snack
    Will likely be protein shake + nuts + ??? carbs. Maybe I'll look into fitting a cinnamon bun in here... love those! This is the meal I'm adding in, but I tended to get hungry around this time anyways, so I'll add this and push back lunch.

14:00 - Lunch
    Since I'm hopelessly lazy, and cook enough as it is, I usually eat out. Lots of places to choose from downtown, but often it's double-beef sukiyaki from Edo (I'd guess it's around 800 cal, since I don't eat all the rice -- vs their posted info).

19:00 - Post-Workout Supper
    Often consists of steak/chicken/salmon + rice/quinoa/sweet potato/yam + some veggies. Admittedly, more often than not there are no veggies .

22:00 - Pre-Bed
    Generally, bowl of cereal (multi-grain Cheerios now) and a protein shake with peanut butter and banana. Sometimes oatmeal cooked with milk and eggs, with protein powder added in, and nuts on the side.

Those will each be about 1/5 my daily macros, since I find that easier than keeping track as I go and having to play catch up or have to avoid something at the end of the day. Occasionally when I know I'm over- or under-doing it in some areas, I'll try to remember to compensate later. There's also no longer a PWO protein shake... that's being moved to morning snack, and made into a full meal.

I do not foresee me keeping a regular log of my eating. I don't have much trouble following this diet (we'll see at the higher daily intake), and don't really get cravings for junk food. At worst, if I'm really unmotivated or not hungry, I'll just have a liquid meal, and rarely I'll just skip one.

I don't weigh everything each time... I work out a meal with accurate macros the first time, and subsequent times it's more approximate. I figure it'll all balance out.

Relevant Supplements

Kirkland multivitamin, 1/day ($16 for a year, I'm sure it's great quality)
    Cheap Supplements fish oil, 3/day (will be switching to NOW brand in a couple weeks when shipment arrives)
    Cheap Supplements creatine monohydrate, 3-5g/day (just (re)started a week ago and done preloading it)
    NOW whey isolate, as needed (next shipment is all whey/casein(/egg) blends, so I'll move away from WPI in a couple weeks -- yes it takes 2 weeks to get BB shipments to Canada)
    Beer, as needed (hey, it helps hit calorie totals! To keep things simple I count 1 bottle as ~20g carbs)

Also, I will be experimenting with pre-WO supplements: White Flood, Superpump Max, and Animal Rage. I'm currently half way through my stim break (don't think I really needed it), and will start using these at that time.

Sleep

I'd guess an average of 6-7 hours total per night, occasionally less, rarely more. I usually wake up at least once. I don't see this improving until I can resist staying up late, and move to a place with fewer late night drunks, sirens, 2am street plows, and car dealership flood lights pointing in my windows.

Non-Contest Pictures

So I don't forget:
    Morning post-shower, pre-meal. Do your damn hair first next time.
    Blinds closed, 2 lights by camera, flash, on dresser, sideways, no zoom.
    Shrink 40%, crop.
    Last edited by pretend; 04-10-2011 at 11:26 AM.

pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Also, if anyone does have any feedback regarding weak areas, I'd be happy to hear it. Until I have reason to believe otherwise, I'm just going with the assumption that I'm equally weak everywhere.

Just keep comments below the neck, and away from the shorts

I'm finding it hard to hit 3500 calories (supper was hardest, still full from lunch). So I brought out my secret weapon: gin.

200 cal martini (sans olive)

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good luck with your progress!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hmmm bulking on gin, though i hate it martini's in general are win ;D
    so subbed
    good luck LOL
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U mad?

[My NFSC CUT]
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133483033

Haha thanks. It won't be a regular thing... but that would make for a much more interesting log!

Gin-free Brunch:

4 slices of bread
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    vanilla
    cinnamon
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 banana
    50 mL maple syrup
    2 scoops NOW whey

P: 97g
    C: 163g
    F: 43g

1427 cal

Another lazy day, and I only managed ~2 meals before working out. That means there was 2k to go, and I was determined to not resort to straight liquor this time!

Approximate missing macros:

Protein: 123g
    Carbs: 221g
    Fat: 49g
    Calories: 1817 kcal

Here's what I came up with:

9oz steak: 74g P, 0g C, 23g F
    1 cup broccoli: 2g P, 4g C, 0g F
    16 perogies: 28g P, 172g C, 16g F
    3/4 scoop TruTein: 20g P, 4g C, 1g F
    1 Amedei chocolate bar: 4g P, 24g C, 18g F

Total: 128g P, 204g C, 58g F (1850 kcal)

A bit high on fat, which is compensated by lower carbs, to hit total calories pretty close.

Seasoning includes: Montreal Steak Spices, Sriracha hot sauce, salt, pepper.

It's 9pm, and I'm less than half way done... ohnoes!

LOL receipt visible... this was the $12 bar. Easter treat!

Uhhhh fat belly. I'm going to save the chocolate for another day when I can actually enjoy eating again. I'll have a handful of almonds and a glass of milk to roughly cover the difference.

I figured I should post an update since my nutritional protocol has changed somewhat...

As of about a month ago, I'm no longer counting protein, fat or carbs. I've spent nearly a year doing that, and have a general idea of what's in the foods I eat. I feel reasonably confident that my food choices are getting me at least close to my target macros. I'm also not strictly following the meal timing I originally wrote out, but I tend to eat around those times anyways.

What I am doing is counting total calories to hit my 3500 kcal/day target. I usually eat whole foods, and don't shy away from meat and fat sources, so at least while bulking, protein and fat minimums should be getting hit most days.

I find this much easier than trying to balance 3 numbers, both from a mathematical perspective, and in simplifying meal choices. I no longer feel obligated to get 1/5 of each macro in each of 5 meals per day.

NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NordAK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Subbed for the french toast pics.

Mid-way Progress Pics - 2011.06.14

Don't mind the sun burn. I'll be paying for it for a while...

Comments very welcome! Especially regarding caloric surplus, and any weak points I should devote some extra focus to.

Weight chart over past 2 months (with linear trend line). It seems like I should be gaining faster than this, but I've put on enough fat as it is...

Supper of champions! Good tequila, mediocre frozen pizza. This was from a few weeks ago, forgot it was on my camera (for some reason).

Pizza: 2000 kcal
    Tequila: Priceless

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^looks like breakfast for me when I was in my 20s.

Final status...

Physical Stats

Weight: 214 lbs (+19 lbs)
    Height: 6'1" (same?!?)
    BF: 21% (+6% oh my)
    LBW: 169 lbs (+3 lbs)

I'm going to go with the assumption that the calipers aren't as accurate as I'd like to think. I find it hard to believe that I gained 16lbs of fat and only 3lbs of muscle. My belly is definitely bigger, but based on appearance and strength gains, I think the ratio is a lot better than 3:16.

This translates into roughly 0.73 lbs/week of weight gain, which from what I understand is a reasonable rate to maintain.

Lifting Stats

1 rep maxes (calculated):

Back Squat: 302 lbs (+40 lbs)
    Chin Up: 290 lb (+41 lbs)
    Deadlift: 385 lb (+52 lbs)
    Incline Press: 172 lb (+28 lbs)

Workout Regime

I stuck with the basically the same as I was doing 4 months ago in my Workout Journal.

Nutrition Protocol

I gave up on the fancy stuff... 3500 kcal per day with high protein/fat food choices as much as I can. 1-3 scoops of protein powder per day as needed/wanted.

Relevant Supplements

Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Creatine monohydrate, 3-5g/day
    Variety of protein blends...
    Pre-WO supps that I rarely take anymore since they don't seem to do much.

Sleep

Still around 6-7 total, poor quality sleep hours per night. Sometimes less, rarely more.

Contest Pictures - Final (2010.08.15)

Non-Contest Pictures

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    ^looks like breakfast for me when I was in my 20s.
    It's definitely fun to do now and then

Maybe this will be easier to compare...

Front

start ----------------------------------------------------------------> end

Back

start -------------------------------------------------------------> end

zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zhall616 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    definitely a big size change in your legs!
    "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
    -Philippians 4:13

Check out my fat loss transformation...
    http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/become-a-lean-teen-machine.html

My bulking log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133838001

alanaragonblog.com
    leangains.com

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I see good size added to your delts, lats and legs for sure. Some BF, but def not a lot. Great work!
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

Thanks for the support!