Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1713
    leekeni02 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hi everyone, im so worry. How long can i play again football?

KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sometimes Bulge seems larger?

Sometimes my Hernia bulge on my right hand side pubic area seems larger and at other times seem almost non-existant. When I first wake up, it has gone down. Then as I move around it seems to start to bulge out. Later when I get to work where I am pretty active, well a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10 I don't notice quite so much, but sitting around the house using my laptop after waking up and having something to eat it seems worse.

Also does "Stress" and "Depression" make it worse?

Seems like when, on rare occasion that I drink alcohol, I relax and don't notice it as much either..... Wonder if that is because the alcohol "Relaxes" my stress and depression??

Thanks to all for feedback......

HPMBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by leekeni02 View Post
    hi everyone, im so worry. How long can i play again football?
    Do not be. I am 33 and had both hernia and varicocele surgery at the same time. In 6-8 weeks I was back to cardio workouts, and in 3 months to 100% in gym and sports, but I took it slowly. Sometimes I feel slight discomfort around incision area, but not much. I can do all abs workouts, no limitation at all. Just I do not like the scar, about 3 inches long, but that is all.

Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SpanishRPG View Post
    I'm afraid to say you're wrong. Didn't we bet a sixer (six dollar note)? Today hernia is confirmed. I have surgery in 3 weeks, laparoscopic one. I will be out of fittness, so to speak, a total of 6 months, when surgery will have been 2 months since first one in March, plus this time I will take at least 3 months without moving from the bed, this time I cannot risk a third surgery and i'ts more than clear that my muscle quality is ****e and cannot build up tissue. I wonder if one can recover physical fitness after 6 months of inactivity, which I doubt if you're 45, but if so, how many yeras will it take to go back to previous level? I remember last year I was on 18 MET and in leg press full machine's weight, etc.... I haven't stopped my sports routine since 20 years now... Any experience will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards...
    Sorry, our internet has been down for 2 days. Hey, man, if I find a 6 dollar note, I'll send it your way! I'm sorry to hear that it's confirmed, but glad you were able to find out. How did you find out? I'm surprised they can do a second repair via laparoscopy - I'd think they would need to open it up, but I guess that's good, although it doesn't sound like it's going to cut your healing time by much. Do I understand correctly that the doctor is saying you will need 3 months of bed rest? If so, that surprises me too - I didn't think they gave that much bedrest for anything anymore. My wife was moving around a day or two after a C-section, and they remove your guts through a completely open slit for that.

I was signing off this thread around the time you came along, but please do report back - I'll try to remember to check in at some point and catch up. I wish you the best.

Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Joffray View Post
    I want to thank everyone who has been commenting on their experiences and their research in this thread!

I 've researched enough and read enough at this point to feel like I have a grasp of what I am getting myself into and what is the best option for my particular case. I have a direct inguinal hernia that I believe I originally created in my 20's moving a heavy piece of furniture. Just a little bump where you could see my right side was a little more raised than my left. Turned 48 and was doing some heavy front squats in 2018 and pop goes the weasel. Bought a truss so I could keep lifting and have done so with great success as long as I stay away from anything heavy in the front rack position. With that said, I'm tired of the truss and not being able to lift as much as I would like. My little friend isn't going away on his own. I seek freedom.

I've researched open with mesh and mesh-free, laparoscopic, and robotic. I know many people have been successful with mesh but I have opted for mesh-free. I looked into the various mesh-free surgery techniques and have opted to go with Desarda. I will update this thread with my experience once I have the surgery. This thread has been a wealth of information!
    I think you'll be only the third or fourth on this thread to do Desarda. I have been very happy with the results, and I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bell0c View Post
    S I'm surprised they can do a second repair via laparoscopy - I'd think they would need to open it up, but I guess that's good, although it doesn't sound like it's going to cut your healing time by much. best.
    I had a Bassini (open) repair on my right side in 1991. My recent surgery in 2017 was a laparoscopic bilateral repair. On the left side it was to repair a small hernia that had never caused symptoms but on my right side it was to repair the recurrence from the Bassini surgery 26 years earlier. It is my understanding from my research that many times laparoscopic is preferred to repair recurrences of open repairs. The surgeon gets to go in from the other side so to speak and doesn't have to cut into the earlier repair where things may not be where they would be expected to be.

YorkBuilding has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by drgephys View Post
    It's hard to say but I hope all is well. Chronic pain is one of the biggest scares of mesh surgery, which happens because the mesh is hitting or eating away some tissue around a nerve. Let's hope that's not the case.

I'm at about seven months now after open left side with mesh and lifting heavy. I'm about 90% pain-free but I wonder if that will become 100% or at one point will start getting worse. Also, my groin is still not flat -- there is some ongoing swelling. One thing that worked out perfectly is the two-inch incision -- there is virtually no scar, thanks to a plastic surgeon closing the skin.

And, yes, listen to your body and don't do something that causes a lot of pain.
    Only 2 inches? the standard is 8 to 10 cm so they did a really good job not opening you up any further than they required.

Originally Posted by culican View Post
    I had a Bassini (open) repair on my right side in 1991. My recent surgery in 2017 was a laparoscopic bilateral repair. On the left side it was to repair a small hernia that had never caused symptoms but on my right side it was to repair the recurrence from the Bassini surgery 26 years earlier. It is my understanding from my research that many times laparoscopic is preferred to repair recurrences of open repairs. The surgeon gets to go in from the other side so to speak and doesn't have to cut into the earlier repair where things may not be where they would be expected to be.
    Interesting, thanks. I was thinking in terms of trying to remove old mesh and scar tissue, but it makes sense if they can go in underneath that layer for a second repair.

drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by YorkBuilding View Post
    Only 2 inches? the standard is 8 to 10 cm so they did a really good job not opening you up any further than they required.
    Yep, only 5 cm (2 inches). So, the scar (or lack of it) turned out to be the least to worry.

It's been eleven months now after the Lichtenstein open repair with mesh for a left-side primary indirect inguinal hernia, and there is still some small swelling, which seems to cause occasional mild pain, nothing much -- 0 to 2 on a pain scale of 10 -- but more like a discomfort caused by the swelling pushing on some nerve. There are no other problems. Although, when I do deadlifts, I worry that one day I will get a recurrence on the right side, where I had a childhood hernia repair (no mesh for growing children of course).

So, what is it? Is it healing in progress? Or is it some fat accumulation, as I'm currently not trying to get lean but bulk up? I may have a follow-up with my doctor in the fall.

I'm bigger and stronger than before the surgery. It looks like taking even long breaks (four months in my case) can be beneficial in the long run. My advice to those dreading down times: Don't worry.

From what I am gathering here, hernia-repair surgery is a hit-or-miss regardless of the technique/method used. It doesn't seem to help researching repair methods because they all have significant drawbacks. Also, even the best doctors seem to have failures. So, good luck to anyone who needs to have a hernia repair.
    Last edited by drgephys; 05-06-2019 at 01:27 AM.

SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry, our internet has been down for 2 days. Hey, man, if I find a 6 dollar note, I'll send it your way! I'm sorry to hear that it's confirmed, but glad you were able to find out. How did you find out? I'm surprised they can do a second repair via laparoscopy - I'd think they would need to open it up, but I guess that's good, although it doesn't sound like it's going to cut your healing time by much. Do I understand correctly that the doctor is saying you will need 3 months of bed rest? If so, that surprises me too - I didn't think they gave that much bedrest for anything anymore. My wife was moving around a day or two after a C-section, and they remove your guts through a completely open slit for that.

I was signing off this thread around the time you came along, but please do report back - I'll try to remember to check in at some point and catch up. I wish you the best.
    Thanks mate. So far I will hold the surgery back. First, will be scheduled when my wife gives birth, and second and most importantly, the surgeon who will do the laparoscopy is the expert in hernias in my hospital: a student. Not very wise to fix a recurrence via laparoscopy by a student, huh? Welcome to Holland!!!

drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting, thanks. I was thinking in terms of trying to remove old mesh and scar tissue, but it makes sense if they can go in underneath that layer for a second repair.
    Yeah, with recurrence, the preferred technique is posterior (either closed lap or open posterior) for previous anterior repairs and anterior for previous posterior repairs. This way, scar tissue is avoided. For the same reason, one disadvantage of posterior (such as lap) repairs is that they make any future abdominal surgery difficult because of the inner scar tissue.

the surgeon who will do the laparoscopy is the expert in hernias in my hospital: a student. Not very wise to fix a recurrence via laparoscopy by a student, huh? Welcome to Holland!!!
    Wth, man? You're a braver man than I...

Yeah, with recurrence, the preferred technique is posterior (either closed lap or open posterior) for previous anterior repairs and anterior for previous posterior repairs. This way, scar tissue is avoided. For the same reason, one disadvantage of posterior (such as lap) repairs is that they make any future abdominal surgery difficult because of the inner scar tissue.
    Yeah, I'll bet it's kind of a mess in there by then...

Thanks mate. So far I will hold the surgery back. First, will be scheduled when my wife gives birth, and second and most importantly, the surgeon who will do the laparoscopy is the expert in hernias in my hospital: a student. Not very wise to fix a recurrence via laparoscopy by a student, huh? Welcome to Holland!!!
    No, it is not at all. Ideally you need someone with 400+ surgeries performed. The learning curve for laparoscopy is very steep and it's a long, slow process to learn it.

Nevertheless, good luck and best!
    Last edited by drgephys; 05-08-2019 at 03:08 PM.

SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wth, man? You're a braver man than I...
    No, I'm not brave, I will not let them do surgery :-/

No, it is not at all. Ideally you need someone with 400+ surgeries performed. The learning curve for laparoscopy is very steep and it's a long, slow process to learn it.

Nevertheless, good luck and best!
    Makes sense what you say... I will try to look some other solution... I have this centre in Germany they suggested in herniatalk forum: hernia-centre.com, another centre in Taiwan (my wife is from there and people from US go there) o try to find someone good in Spain, the problem I is I cannot do anything since my wife is gonna deliver soon...

Makes sense what you say... I will try to look some other solution... I have this centre in Germany they suggested in herniatalk forum: hernia-centre.com, another centre in Taiwan (my wife is from there and people from US go there) o try to find someone good in Spain, the problem I is I cannot do anything since my wife is gonna deliver soon...
    Better sooner than later, but better well-done than botched, and unless it herniates it's not going to kill you to wait a bit. Glad you're not going with the expert amateur...

Joffray is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had my hernia surgery yesterday at the UFirst Health Clinic in Ft. Myers Florida with Dr. Tomas. This is a no-mesh repair method. The surgery was quick and frankly don't remember anything about the surgery itself. Doc told me afterwards he repaired an indirect and direct right inguinal hernia. I thought I had just a direct. I used a service they work with to look after me for the first four hours after surgery. Staying at the SpringHill Suites, with what I will refer to as my Hernia Band of Brothers -- there's five of us and we've been hanging out, had dinner together last night.

Been icing the area and taking the medication they provided as proscribed and have had minimal pain. The gabapentin seems to affect us all a little differently, two of the guys it makes a little loopy so one of them has stopped taking it. I think it gives me a bit of an energy boost with no ill effects. I took my 4 am dose and couldn't get back to sleep for a few hours. I get up and walk every hour or so and I have a little pain and tightness but nothing too major. They told me not to eat any beef due to constipation being a side effect of some of the medicine I think, but hey, I'm a carnivore so I've been eating my normal diet. I did buy some bone broth to ensure I was keeping plenty of collagen in my system for healing. I will update on progress as I go.

Better sooner than later, but better well-done than botched, and unless it herniates it's not going to kill you to wait a bit. Glad you're not going with the expert amateur...
    Thanks man. May be the wisest option is wait until my baby is born, have the Spanish passport sorted out (if you're born in Holland from both foreign parents you ain't entitled to have local one) and move to Spain couple of months with my family (my wife is on long sick leave + accumulated holidays), I would have the help of my parents and free home...

Sportwise I'm almost at the same level as before surgery with both weights and cardio (I was never a heavy wight lifter, like 87.5 kg max set on bench press), and so far no bump coming out, may be the hole is tearing off bigger?

Best Regards

so far no bump coming out, may be the hole is tearing off bigger?
    Man, I have no idea. Sounds like you're feeling ok though, so just hold steady until you can get proper care. What a mess!

I had my hernia surgery yesterday at the UFirst Health Clinic in Ft. Myers Florida with Dr. Tomas. This is a no-mesh repair method. The surgery was quick and frankly don't remember anything about the surgery itself. Doc told me afterwards he repaired an indirect and direct right inguinal hernia. I thought I had just a direct. I used a service they work with to look after me for the first four hours after surgery. Staying at the SpringHill Suites, with what I will refer to as my Hernia Band of Brothers -- there's five of us and we've been hanging out, had dinner together last night.

Been icing the area and taking the medication they provided as proscribed and have had minimal pain. The gabapentin seems to affect us all a little differently, two of the guys it makes a little loopy so one of them has stopped taking it. I think it gives me a bit of an energy boost with no ill effects. I took my 4 am dose and couldn't get back to sleep for a few hours. I get up and walk every hour or so and I have a little pain and tightness but nothing too major. They told me not to eat any beef due to constipation being a side effect of some of the medicine I think, but hey, I'm a carnivore so I've been eating my normal diet. I did buy some bone broth to ensure I was keeping plenty of collagen in my system for healing. I will update on progress as I go.
    Hey, you're the third or fourth Desarda/Tomas guy here - it'll be good to get more input from our contingent. Glad you're doing well - good that you're walking often. Cool that you found some companionship - I never noticed anyone else there shuffling around. Seems that for most people (me included), the third morning is the worst. If it is for you, hang in there - it passes quickly. Yeah, the gabapentin made me a little zoned-out feeling. Turns out it's used for all kinds of nerve-related stuff like anxiety and sleep problems, but it works well for this kind of pain and isn't addictive. Surprised it isn't used more often. Anyway, good luck - look forward to your updates.

Man, I have no idea. Sounds like you're feeling ok though, so just hold steady until you can get proper care. What a mess!
    Tanks, I would say I'm at 90-95 % with respect to before surgery in bot weight lifting and cardio, and I don't see I will get back, especially because I don't want to push too hard and jeopardize hernia stuff by increasing pressure... Now I'm on the search for surgeon, yes, I regret a lot having tried to find one as quick as possible back in March, I totally thought (and I was also told) that hernia is simple, plug and play, easy and no complication, if only I had known...

Tanks, I would say I'm at 90-95 % with respect to before surgery in bot weight lifting and cardio, and I don't see I will get back, especially because I don't want to push too hard and jeopardize hernia stuff by increasing pressure... Now I'm on the search for surgeon, yes, I regret a lot having tried to find one as quick as possible back in March, I totally thought (and I was also told) that hernia is simple, plug and play, easy and no complication, if only I had known...
    Yeah, it seems to be simple and straightforward, until you have problems...

Thanks Bell0c -- your posts were extremely helpful in educating and helping me evaluate my options.

I am into day 5 now. I would say morning of Day 3 was the worst but I haven't been in that much pain. I did walk across to Circle K and it hurt walking over and felt a lot better walking back -- I then spent quite a bit of time shuffling the hallway while holding an ice bag against the area. I think the volume of walking helped.

Took my big bandage off after 48 hours and was rubbing in some arnica cream and hit that tendon that he secures the muscle to --- holy hell! Lit me up like a strike of lightning. Luckily I put ice on it and it faded quickly. I was a little swollen with a 3 -4 inch scar but really not that bad. Not much bruising. Strangely enough -- there is a tightness and some tendernous above the incision up to about halfway to my rib cage on the right side.

Went for my post-surgical follow-up on Monday and all was well. I ordered wheel chair service for my flight home and felt goofy being wheeled around the airport and to my connecting flight for the second leg, but I'm really glad I did.

Getting around pretty good but still icing regularly, applying arnica, and taking all meds. I'm not much of a med guy so will probably stop the gabapentin and heavy duty motrin tomorrow and if necessary just take advil.

Thanks Bell0c -- your posts were extremely helpful in educating and helping me evaluate my options.

I am into day 5 now. I would say morning of Day 3 was the worst but I haven't been in that much pain. I did walk across to Circle K and it hurt walking over and felt a lot better walking back -- I then spent quite a bit of time shuffling the hallway while holding an ice bag against the area. I think the volume of walking helped.

Took my big bandage off after 48 hours and was rubbing in some arnica cream and hit that tendon that he secures the muscle to --- holy hell! Lit me up like a strike of lightning. Luckily I put ice on it and it faded quickly. I was a little swollen with a 3 -4 inch scar but really not that bad. Not much bruising. Strangely enough -- there is a tightness and some tendernous above the incision up to about halfway to my rib cage on the right side.

Went for my post-surgical follow-up on Monday and all was well. I ordered wheel chair service for my flight home and felt goofy being wheeled around the airport and to my connecting flight for the second leg, but I'm really glad I did.

Getting around pretty good but still icing regularly, applying arnica, and taking all meds. I'm not much of a med guy so will probably stop the gabapentin and heavy duty motrin tomorrow and if necessary just take advil.
    Hey, Joffrey, I'm glad my posts did you some good. I found this thread to be extremely useful before and after my surgery, and I don't think I'm the only one - only right to keep it going.

Sounds like you're over the hump. I went off the gabapentin early, then went back on till it ran out - you may have better luck. The Arnica cream never seemed to do anything for me, though I wasn't very good about using it regularly. Took the pills. I'm sure you've gotten this message reading through the thread, but walk, walk, walk, then walk some more. The weeks will pass before you know it!

Happy one-week Herniaversary to me! To recap, I used Dr. Tomas in Ft. Myers, FL for a non-mesh Desarda repair. Right side, both direct and indirect hernias on that side.

One week out and I'm getting along well. Walking a lot. I have a lot of stairs in my house so been climbing those without issues. If I'm on my feet for too long I will get a mild burning sensation that will subside as soon as I sit down for a few minutes. I'm off all meds except for the antibiotic. I have stopped icing for the most part as well. I am a big believer in arnica cream so I continue to apply that a couple of times per day. I have minimal bruising. The incision looks as well as expected. I am a straight carnivore so have continued my WOE before and after surgery without issues and think eating an anti-inflammatory diet like this may be aiding in my recovery.

Really looking forward to hitting my two weeks!

Oh, one final note -- the post-op instructions say to stay away from picking anything up that weighs over 10 lbs in the first four weeks. This is next to impossible to comply with but it does serve the purpose to make me extra cautious when lifting something.

Happy one-week Herniaversary to me! To recap, I used Dr. Tomas in Ft. Myers, FL for a non-mesh Desarda repair. Right side, both direct and indirect hernias on that side.

One week out and I'm getting along well. Walking a lot. I have a lot of stairs in my house so been climbing those without issues. If I'm on my feet for too long I will get a mild burning sensation that will subside as soon as I sit down for a few minutes. I'm off all meds except for the antibiotic. I have stopped icing for the most part as well. I am a big believer in arnica cream so I continue to apply that a couple of times per day. I have minimal bruising. The incision looks as well as expected. I am a straight carnivore so have continued my WOE before and after surgery without issues and think eating an anti-inflammatory diet like this may be aiding in my recovery.

Really looking forward to hitting my two weeks!

Oh, one final note -- the post-op instructions say to stay away from picking anything up that weighs over 10 lbs in the first four weeks. This is next to impossible to comply with but it does serve the purpose to make me extra cautious when lifting something.
    Sounding good, man.

love4852 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Felt a pop in the repair site

I had a right side lapro inguinal hernia mesh repaired 4/1/19. Recovery was going great, felt stronger than before and was back in the gym by week 6 doing light, controlled movements focused on form and mind/muscle connection.

Fast forward to this week (12 weeks post op). Everything is feeling amazing, back to my old self, but still sticking to light work. Feeling so good, I forgot that I was still recovering and was careless. I was doing a back bend stretch with my arms over head, and felt a pop in the repair site.

There was no pain, and after obsessively checking and testing, it doesn’t appear the hernia has recurred. 3 days after the pop, my right side feels off and is much weaker than it has been. I feel very slight (non existent) pain in the site, but I’m thinking this is more a mental thing than actual pain due to it only appearing when I’m focusing on it. I’m just really concerned how it feels weak again.

Also, the hernia repair site is tender to the touch. I haven’t poked around in the area until now, so it may very well have been like this the entire time.

My left side, in the same area is notorious for “popping” when I do similar stretches and has had no problems. The reason I got aggressive with the hernia surgery wasn’t so much for the pain of the hernia itself, but for my left side compensating for the right side weakness and becoming very tight, leading to a twist in my posture. So I’m not ruling out the possibility I just tweaked a muscle due to the imbalance, or this pop just made me aware that I’m not as strong as I thought I was.

I know the obvious course is to go to my surgeon, but I was laid off from work the week after my operation and lost my insurance. Seeing the doc is only something I can do if it’s an emergency.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I see cases of people popping the mesh suture and scar tissue and all it’s no big deal...

Edit/update: follow up visits should be covered within 90 days of the operation. I left a message with the office and will follow up first thing next week to get squeezed in with the surgeon. Also, after some stretching this morning, I find my hips/adductors are really tight. Some stretching and foam rolling brought life back into my abdomen. Could be related, but still moving forward with a doctor visit.
    Last edited by love4852; 05-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Originally Posted by love4852 View Post
    I had a right side lapro inguinal hernia mesh repaired 4/1/19. Recovery was going great, felt stronger than before and was back in the gym by week 6 doing light, controlled movements focused on form and mind/muscle connection.

Fast forward to this week (12 weeks post op). Everything is feeling amazing, back to my old self, but still sticking to light work. Feeling so good, I forgot that I was still recovering and was careless. I was doing a back bend stretch with my arms over head, and felt a pop in the repair site.

There was no pain, and after obsessively checking and testing, it doesn’t appear the hernia has recurred. 3 days after the pop, my right side feels off and is much weaker than it has been. I feel very slight pain in the site, but I’m thinking this is more a mental thing than actual pain due to it only appearing when I’m focusing on it. I’m just really concerned how it feels weak again.

My left side, in the same area is notorious for “popping” when I do similar stretches and has had no problems.

I know the obvious course is to go to my surgeon, but I was laid off from work the week after my operation and lost my insurance. Seeing the doc is only something I can do if it’s an emergency.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I see cases of people popping the mesh suture and scar tissue and all it’s no big deal...
    I haven't been through your situation but figured I'd offer my $.02. First thing I would say is ---- get you some of that Obamacare just in case. If you have no income at the moment I don't think it costs you.

Then I would go into the gym and act as if that pop never happened. Lift, run, do whatever you normally do and see if you experience pain or swelling in the area. If not, chalk it up to a mental thing. If you truly ripped something affecting the stability of the mesh I would think it wouldn't take 3 days for you to notice. Hopefully, someone with a similar experience will chime in.

love4852 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I haven't been through your situation but figured I'd offer my $.02. First thing I would say is ---- get you some of that Obamacare just in case. If you have no income at the moment I don't think it costs you.

Then I would go into the gym and act as if that pop never happened. Lift, run, do whatever you normally do and see if you experience pain or swelling in the area. If not, chalk it up to a mental thing. If you truly ripped something affecting the stability of the mesh I would think it wouldn't take 3 days for you to notice. Hopefully, someone with a similar experience will chime in.
    Good points all around. I looked into Obamacare, i forget the details but I ended up getting short term major medical coverage- not ideal for an office visit but I’ll double check. I’m getting closer to final stages in interviews, so hoping this is nothing or something I can put off until I get full coverage back.

I’m taking a week off from the gym, purely out of caution and should give me peace of mind I’m not aggravating a potential strain. Then back to the gym. Part of me is thinking this is DOMS to an extent, just not the symptoms I’m used to, considering I didn’t notice the weak feeling until 2 days later.

Any thoughts on that? Really appreciate the advice.

Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast