Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1691
    culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dogandbroom View Post
    Hey guys so I finally got my surgery this morning. Open right side with mesh. I woke up from surgery with a weak burn pain and they gave me a pain killer (lopra something?) and it went from a 3/10 pain to a 1 or 2. I know it will hurt more when this anesthesia wears off. They prescribed me Hydrocodon. Haven't taken any yet. I'm just glad that the surgery is over and I'm now progressing towards getting back to being normal.

Keep us posted on your recovery.

Do you know what type of mesh they used?

dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't know what kind of mesh it is. Last night was the worst so far tho, I woke up twice in the night and had a lot of pain getting out of chair to piss. I'm afraid to take the Hydrocodone because I don't want to get constipated/bloated. My wife got me stool softener just in case. I've been living off of ibuprofren and Advil PM so far

dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Day 3: slept a lot better last night. Took only a sleeping pill and two ibuprofen. Woke up and took my first crap. It didn't hurt but took about half an hour for it to all come out. I made sure not to force it. Wiping is a bit awkward, had to kind of lean on the sink which is luckily right next to my toilet in my downstairs bathroom.

Overall Day 2 (day after surgery) was the worst. Hope the worst is over.

I make a point to do a few laps around my 1st floor each time I get up to use the bathroom/kitchen.

I need to change my bandage and take a shower at some point today. It's probably gonna take me awhile (first time using stairs) and been awkward but it should help lift my spirits a bit. It's important to stay positive. Last night I sat on the deck with my wife for a little to get some fresh air. Anything you can do to help you feel a little better goes a long way.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you can get outside and walk some, that will help a lot. Gets the blood circulating in that area.

Originally Posted by culican View Post
    If you can get outside and walk some, that will help a lot. Gets the blood circulating in that area.
    Yea man I did that yesterday and plan on it again today. Did a few laps outside down my backyard pathway and around my driveway.

Update:

Today marks 1 week since my surgery and I am starting to feel close to normal. I can finally walk upright and get around pretty good. I can now bend enough to put socks/shoes on and wash below my knees in the shower and fully dry myself off after. I still am sleeping in a recliner and walking up the stairs with both feet touching each step omw up and down (short strides). It still hurts a little getting up and down from sitting (brace your area and take a deep breath) but other than that it's not bad. I've learned to put my bodyweight on the opposite side of surgery which helps a ton. I get a sharp pain once in awhile randomly but it quickly goes away. The doctor said that and the slight occasional itch is normal.

Other than that I have the annoyance of the bandage tape (not the steri strips) residue still being on my skin down there which sticks to my underwear/lint. It's too tender to scrub off so I'm just cleaning it the best I can for now (using Dial anti-bacterial body wash to help prevent infection). I don't want to try and use anything harsh like rubbing alcohol because I do not want to disturb the steri strips which I get taken off on Monday. Also I have some chaffing right where my right thigh meets my ball area because of them shaving me and whatever that goopy yellow cleanser they used during surgery. My upper back has also been a bit sore just from walking around all slouched the past week.

Diet/Supplements: I regained my appetite around Day 3 after I took my first crap. Been crapping every morning since. Sometimes it comes out right away, others takes some time. Do not force it out. I have been making sure to get my fiber in with high fiber oatmeal, Fiber One bars and lots of fruit. I also take a stool softener (just 1 dose a day). I've been pretty much eating like I'm still lifting with high protein but avoiding spicy foods. Last night was lean ground beef with taco seasoning and beans. I've been letting myself go with candy/snack food also though. I'm not too concerned with my physique (I'll get it back), my #1 priority is healing. I'm taking my normal ZMA before bed and L-arginine after I read up about it being good post-op. I've also been taking an Emergen-C immune support every morning/drinking juice because the last thing I want right now is to get sick. Also wiping everything down with clorox wipes. Sneezing/coughing and even laughing can hurt. First couple of days I couldn't even talk real loud/yell. Very frustrating.

Exercise: Like others/my surgeon have stressed it is very important to get up and move around. Every morning when I wake up I go for a short walk in the neighborhood while my oatmeal warms up. A short walk, less than ten mins but you would not believe how much better you'll feel once you get moving around. First few days I had to do with with ice on my incision. Through the day I make sure to do get up and move around, even if it's just around the yard with the dog. Each day I'm adding more and more. Even if it's just around your house do a few laps each time you get up. I feel the worst after I've been sitting too long. I think a lot of the youtube clips I've seen of guys writhing in pain are guys who just sat around taking pain killers and not moving enough.

Sex/Fapn: I'm holding off til end of wk 2/wk 3 at least til I have sex like others suggested. I made sure to have at it with my wife the day before surgery to help hold me over. I have carefully fapped a few times since surgery tho (day 5 IIRC) and it was fine, just don't be a madman about it. It prob helps get blood flowing to the area anyhow and I was relieved to see all of my equipment still works great. I guess it depends on where exactly your hernia/incision is too but fortunately for me mine was up pretty high by my belt and I did not get any of the huge/bruised balls that they warned me about, just a little tenderness first few days and dink shrinkage. Rocking half pubes since they told me not to shave myself beforehand. #TMI

Overall though I am thrilled with my progress. Day 2/3 were the absolute worst and I managed to do it all without any of the prescription pain killers. I've just been using ibuprofen, ice and unisom to sleep. Each day I wake up feeling a little better. It is a mindfck when I first wake up each morning and dread climbing out of the chair but each day I am surprised at how easier it gets.

Day 10: I have almost all of my mobility back in regards to my lower body. It is much much easier to get up and down from sitting/laying and to walk up and down stairs/get in and out of vehicles. I've been walking at least 1 mile a day (using Map My Walk app on my phone) and my only complaint is I keep getting a pulling feeling in my incision area. It's a very dull pain that comes and goes, sort of similar to how I felt sometimes before the operation. I called my surgeon's office about it and they assured me that it is totally normal and should go away. I notice the pain the most if I shift my torso side to side or walk with uneven footing/angle a foot. I am still sleeping on the recliner though since it is uncomfortable to have my legs perfectly straight for long.

Day 10: I have almost all of my mobility back in regards to my lower body. It is much much easier to get up and down from sitting/laying and to walk up and down stairs/get in and out of vehicles. I've been walking at least 1 mile a day (using Map My Walk app on my phone) and my only complaint is I keep getting a pulling feeling in my incision area. It's a very dull pain that comes and goes, sort of similar to how I felt sometimes before the operation. I called my surgeon's office about it and they assured me that it is totally normal and should go away. I notice the pain the most if I shift my torso side to side or walk with uneven footing/angle a foot. I am still sleeping on the recliner though since it is uncomfortable to have my legs perfectly straight for long.
    You seem to be recovering quickly. Has your surgeon given you a time frame to resume full activity?

ElainaSM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey dogandbroom, I think you are doing absolutely great for day 10! Keep up the great work

You seem to be recovering quickly. Has your surgeon given you a time frame to resume full activity?
    Originally Posted by ElainaSM View Post
    Hey dogandbroom, I think you are doing absolutely great for day 10! Keep up the great work
    Thanks guys. I just had my 2 week follow up appointment (technically tmrw is 2wks) this morning. They took off my steri-strips and he said everything looks good. I told him that I still feel that pulling-pain sometimes in the area when getting up from sitting/bending over and he said that's scar tissue forming and it should gradually go away. He advised me to keep with the 10lb weight limit for one more week. Then after that go by how I feel as far as lifting/straining. He told me at the 4 week mark I should be totally back to normal every day activities but not to start weight lifting again until 6 weeks. He also told me sex is fine to do, just change positions if it's uncomfortable.

I got back from my appointment and did my daily 1 mile walk and feel fine. Getting in and out of my vehicle (lifted SUV) is still a little rough and so is wearing a seatbelt but I've been driving and walking around the store just fine.

I think forcing myself to walk every day has really helped. From all the research I've done with reading this thread and other sites that seems to have been the key for quicker recovery. Guys who just laid around popping pain pills and not moving around have had the hardest time recovering. Everybody is different and I def do not advise pushing the limits, but I always feel better after a good walk. Just pop my headphones on, load up an app that tracks my distance and walk around the neighborhood for like half an hour. At first I was walking like a 90 year old but now I'm back to a normal pace.

I'm back to work tomorrow (desk job) and it'll be the first time I wore something that isn't gym shorts. Gonna find my loosest pair of pants. It's just uncomfortable because the waistband lays right on the incision. At least I do not have any swollen testicles/pain like others had. Guess I bought tighty whities for nothing lol
    Last edited by dogandbroom; 10-10-2017 at 04:40 PM.

At least I do not have any swollen testicles/pain like others had.

I had a laparoscopic procedure and thought I had avoided that but on evening of the second day it set in. Not super sore or painful but definitely bruised and swollen. You lucked out on that.

I had a laparoscopic procedure and thought I had avoided that but on evening of the second day it set in. Not super sore or painful but definitely bruised and swollen. You lucked out on that.
    From my understanding w/ Laproscopic doesn't some of the swollen balls come from the fact that they fill up your belly with gas and it works its way down there also?

Anyway today is officially 2 weeks and my first day back to work. Woke up early before work and walked 1/2 a mile. Felt alright, better than yesterday.

I have a desk job and I felt some discomfort sitting upright in an office chair for the first time in weeks. Also I wear steel toe boots to work so that adds some weight to my steps.

Since I had open surgery, my incision is right on my belt line so wearing pants instead of gym shorts was uncomfortable as well. I wore my loosest pair (American Eagle extreme flex jeans) which felt way better than my normal chinos especially since I don't need a belt with these. I think most of the discomfort I felt today was from the jeans waistband putting pressure on the actual incision.

Either way I am thrilled to be back at work. Makes me feel way more normal again and good about myself knowing that I can manage the basics of my life again.

Playing fetch with the dog is still a hassle but I'm getting better at being able to pick something up off of the ground and also getting in and out of my vehicle.

I only really feel pain, and it is a slight pain, when I bend or twist. The pulling pain I had experienced previously is still there but different. It's not as intense and it doesn't feel as deep if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by dogandbroom; 10-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Peacening has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thank you guys for this thread! So glad I searched hernia threads here and found it.

Last Saturday was benching with my feet awkwardly far apart and using more arch than normal to see if that form felt comfortable. I didn't feel the hernia happen but afterwards I noticed a sore feeling in my groin and found a pea sized bump there. It was sore for a few days and now I only know it's there if I touch it but I have not lifted or done anything physically difficult except a quick sprint during a work emergency. No pain at all so far.

Saw my doctor Monday and he wanted to go with the "wait and see" approach. I don't want to be paranoid every time I lift and I certainly don't want to make it worse. I requested a surgical consultation at my hospital (Kaiser) to see what procedure they do most frequently, how often they do hernia repairs, etc to see if I'd be comfortable with them doing it. I am researching other surgery options locally (San Francisco/bay area) to also consider.

I'm self employed so I would really like to put off surgery for a couple months until after the holidays (my busy season). So I'm planning on lifting light and carefully until then unless I have any discomfort or worsening of symptoms in which case I will just not lift. In the meantime I will comb through this thread for more information.

Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys, just want to seek your opinions on something if possible.

I've had my right laparascopic hernia surgery March 2017, and my recovery phase included my right testicle feel "full", like how blue balls feel, but slightly more pressured. All in all I'm healed now and everything seems okay.

But something I noticed though, there are times when I will feel that same feeling after sex with my girlfriend, especially when I'm quite high, and it's funny because only my right testicle hurt and my left doesn't (shows that it has something to do with my hernia). Usually it just goes away after sleeping it off for a night.

Though it doesn't happen always, but when it happens I kinda feared that a recur hernia will be back.

Anyone faced similar situations before?
    “I do it because I can,
    I can because I want to,
    I want to because you said I couldn't.” -Unknown

“I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

I live by the quote 'No Pain, No Gain'.

I'm NOT gonna let PE affect me!

ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100) ManosMyName is not very well liked. (-100)
    I am on my 3rd dayof inguinal hernia. Do you remember if you had your penis like a little bit swollen in the top with a bruise? and also if you could remember were your testicles fine? Like my hernia was at the right side and my right testicle feels like stuck and hurts.
    Last edited by ManosMyName; 11-23-2017 at 06:39 AM.

KungFuFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ManosMyName View Post
    I am on my 3rd dayof inguinal hernia. Do you remember if you had your penis like a little bit swollen in the top with a bruise? and also if you could remember were your testicles fine? Like my hernia was at the right side and my right testicle feels like stuck and hurts.
    Good luck with your recovery. Do you mean the base of the penis? Some swelling/bruising in that area is usual, especially so soon after recovery. The surgery does involve manipulating the spermatic cord, so is often bruising and swelling in the testes; that said, it is worth asking your surgeon/a healthcare professional if you have any concerns, particularly if pain persists.

linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by linksjack View Post
    This thread is gold. Read every post before my hernia repair, which was yesterday.

Open surgery with mesh (Lichtenstein) with spinal anesthesia.
    It's now over 1 year since my surgery and I'm still happy with the outcome.

At the ~10 months mark I had a problem after lifting too heavy. The pain went away 2 weeks after lifting and I havn't had any problems since. So the hernia isn't back - thank god.

Overall I'm feeling pretty much the same as when I hit the 6 months mark. After that, there weren't any noticable changes. I still have an occasional pinching feeling in the surgical area and in my testicle. It doesn't hurt, but it reminds me that I had surgery.

Would I do it again? Yes, absolutely. Quality of life is much higher than before the surgery.
    Would I choose the same technique: Probably. I might look into absorbable meshes, which sound promising. Unfortunately the absorption-rate isn't predictable, which might lead to serious complications. But since I haven't spoken to any doctors about it, I'll still leave the door open, if it becomes necessary (for the other side).
    Last edited by linksjack; 12-01-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Skag55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had my bilateral inguinal hernia (direct) done in 1st August (so 4 full months), after being diagnosed in May and was told to stop lifting anything whatsoever.
    All went well, and follow ups went well. I still feel a bit of a bump, but not the same as before by any means.
    The doctor told me to avoid lifting weights, and take it slowly, and we agreed that I will start going back to the gym after Jan/Feb and start slowly.
    I'm not a beast of lifting, and I had big gaps of going to the gym. But I think I should take it easy anyway for the first 6 months, i.e. do nothing, just lift grocery / rubbish bags etc.
    I can manage about 5kg in each hand of groceries for the last month or so.
    It's really annoying because I have a lot of time I could use to go the gym, but I am being too cautious and a bit scared too.

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Skag55 View Post
    I had my bilateral inguinal hernia (direct) done in 1st August (so 4 full months), after being diagnosed in May and was told to stop lifting anything whatsoever.
    All went well, and follow ups went well. I still feel a bit of a bump, but not the same as before by any means.
    The doctor told me to avoid lifting weights, and take it slowly, and we agreed that I will start going back to the gym after Jan/Feb and start slowly.
    I'm not a beast of lifting, and I had big gaps of going to the gym. But I think I should take it easy anyway for the first 6 months, i.e. do nothing, just lift grocery / rubbish bags etc.
    I can manage about 5kg in each hand of groceries for the last month or so.
    It's really annoying because I have a lot of time I could use to go the gym, but I am being too cautious and a bit scared too.
    Was it done via laparoscopy? Or open? Was mesh used? Do you know what kind? You haven't supplied much detail.

Your doctor's advice is very conservative, if you had laparoscopic mesh implantation. There are surgeons out there who think that waiting to be active is one of the causes of future problems. They release their patients to full activity within weeks. Some are even down to days. But almost all say that after six weeks the repair will not get much stronger. No use waiting beyond that. Your situation is unusual.

Originally Posted by SoccerAgain View Post
    Was it done via laparoscopy? Or open? Was mesh used? Do you know what kind? You haven't supplied much detail.

Your doctor's advice is very conservative, if you had laparoscopic mesh implantation. There are surgeons out there who think that waiting to be active is one of the causes of future problems. They release their patients to full activity within weeks. Some are even down to days. But almost all say that after six weeks the repair will not get much stronger. No use waiting beyond that. Your situation is unusual.
    I'll second that. I had mine done (bilateral laparoscopic) done 8/30 of this year so it's been a little over 3 months. I was back in the gym in 10 days and am back to where I was or more now. I have no pain or other abnormal sensations in the surgical areas.

As I mentioned in my posts earlier in this thread, it seems those who are frightened of returning to activity are the ones who have the most long term problems.

Skag55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So a little more detail:
    It was laparoscopic, and mesh was used, however a self absorbing mesh (not biological, rather a hybrid that absorbs in ~18 months). It was a direct (sports) hernia, not a lateral inguinal hernia.

Because I had taken out my appendix when I was 5, my system had developed adhesions which made his job a little harder (I watched the video actually, and have watched numerous other), meaning that he had to cut through those adhesions.

I rested normally for the first couple of weeks, though walked around normally. The surgeon saw me again after a couple of months (finger in the spermatic cord), I coughed and he said it is bending a little bit, give it time to strengthen. Basically this was his advice from week 1: give it time to strengthen. I think mostly because the mesh will get dissolved at the end, he wants to get as much tissue as possible developed? (just guessing here).

Anyway, he said the area will be 80% back to normal, in that I will still see a bit of a bulge, but there's no fear of hernia since the area now is strengthened with a mesh, so nothing is popping out. I still see a bit of a bulge when I flex my lower abdomen and bend back a little. I guess something is pushing from the inside but doesn't go (from the inguinal ring) as it would without the mesh.

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Skag55 View Post
    So a little more detail:
    It was laparoscopic, and mesh was used, however a self absorbing mesh (not biological, rather a hybrid that absorbs in ~18 months). It was a direct (sports) hernia, not a lateral inguinal hernia.
    You probably have one of the newer mesh products, not very well known. I don't think that you'l find many people who have had it used. Best to listen to your doctor. The absorbable part is supposed to be replaced by your own tissue I believe, as it disappears. And the dissolved material makes the surrounding tissue weaker I think, so you have to wait until it's gone. You're on your own, there will be little good advice to follow on this forum. Most people have had synthetic mesh that never dissolves. I posted a link below.

And a "direct" hernia is not the same as a "sports" hernia. A sports hernia is not really a hernia, it's a tissue tear with nerve irritation.

A direct hernia is a hernia that pushes directly through the abdominal wall, instead of in to the inguinal canal like an indirect hernia. The material from a direct hernia ends up on the front of your lower abdomen, an indirect hernia's material ends up in your scrotum.

Anyway, good luck. Don't let anybody tell you that they had your materials and procedures and were lifting personal bests a month later and to just go for it. Your mesh is special and new, although it looks promising because you'll end up with less mesh when it's done. Be careful, I'd say, and follow your surgeon's instructions.

https://www.ethicon.com/na/products/...ghtweight-mesh

McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McLaren594 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sup Brahs,

I currently got a dull ache that goes on and off somewhere along my Adonis Belt that has been going on for two weeks. I first noticed the pain about two weeks ago when I was doing 4 sets of 9 with 200 on the squat, felt a sharp tug in my lower right abdomen just as I was getting out of the hole on the very last rep of the 4th set. I also was an idiot for not stretching before squatting that day. The pain has considerably subsided as time progressed as I stretched out my hips and used Salonpas but there is no bulge and no pain when I cough, laugh, sneeze, lift, bend over etc. Currently, the pain is dull and has been on and off.

I had the area checked out by my father who is a doctor and he currently says there is no evidence of an inguinal hernia, however he said I must lay off squats and deadlifts for a while as they increase IAP.

I am currently 18 years old, 5'8" at 135lbs with ~6% BF. Ectomorph for all you broscience peeps out there. I'm just shy of the 1000lb club, best lifts are currently a 315 squat, 200 bench, and a 405lb deadlift.

If I do have a hernia, I will have to overcome my fears of surgery and possibly losing my gains. I am terrified of the sight of entering an operating room and talking to the surgeon. Worst that could happen is me getting skinny fat as I never packed on much weight and going back to bodyweight exercises.
    Last edited by McLaren594; 12-19-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Can't tell if you're looking for advice or just letting people know you're close to the 1000 club. If you do find that you have a hernia and decide to get it repaired, beware of how things work out there now. Everything is pointing toward laparoscopic repair, bilateral, with large coverage by mesh. It gives the best results for the medical industry, quick healing with no short-term complications. But some methods are not so good for the patients, with long-term life-altering problems. I just had my mesh removed, after three years of dealing with it. Bilateral laparoscopic mesh implantation with Bard Soft Mesh.

Getting my hernia repaired was the worst decision I ever made. Getting the mesh removed was the best. Good luck and do lots of homework before letting somebody "fix" your hernia, if you get one.

Can't tell if you're looking for advice or just letting people know you're close to the 1000 club. If you do find that you have a hernia and decide to get it repaired, beware of how things work out there now. Everything is pointing toward laparoscopic repair, bilateral, with large coverage by mesh. It gives the best results for the medical industry, quick healing with no short-term complications. But some methods are not so good for the patients, with long-term life-altering problems. I just had my mesh removed, after three years of dealing with it. Bilateral laparoscopic mesh implantation with Bard Soft Mesh.

Getting my hernia repaired was the worst decision I ever made. Getting the mesh removed was the best. Good luck and do lots of homework before letting somebody "fix" your hernia, if you get one.
    I'm glad to hear your decision to get the mesh removed is going well, I wish you all the best for your recovery, it sounds like you've had a quite a ride.

Keen to hear how you get on, I really hope this works out well for you.

Thanks, and thanks for replying. As I recall (plus I searched to confirm) you had an open surgery, with mesh, from a U.K. based hernia specialist.

What I see, is a wide range of methods and materials, all lumped together as "mesh". By everybody, including the doctors and surgeons. Generally, it looks like people are assuming that all mesh materials are the same once they're in the body, and that the differences are there for ease of use by the surgeons. It seems to be the training and the belief by the majority of surgeons that do hernia repair. There are many who realize that they're not all the same, but it's up to the individual to find them. The medical device makers, like Ethicon and Bard, even seem to be offering training and advice on how much to use. Ethicon's spokesperson even talks about patching up the non-symptomatic side, if anything at all is seen. So, basically, once they're in there, you're getting the full treatment.

I've seen also that most of the people that have problems bad enough for removal, like me, are removing Bard mesh. Often it's their 3D Max product. 3D Max is supposed to be the "state-of-the-art". Consider that.

I really believe that push to laparoscopic repair with mesh, is for the short-term results. The field of medicine is getting mechanized and corporatized, with a focus on short-term outcomes, and passing the buck. That's what people need to be aware of. If the doctor you're considering doesn't have any idea how his former patients are doing, that's a big red flag. Ask hard questions. Move on if they don't know.

Here's a video from a paid consultant of Ethicon. In essence, he says that you'll get a lot of extra mesh, to cover all possible future problems.

"I'll repair the contra-lateral (other) side even if it's asymptomatic" - 2:00 minutes

15 cm = 6 inches. 3:00 minutes. 5x6 = 30 inches squared. X2 = 60 inches squared of mesh, placed in your abdomen to cover a 1/2 inch hole (at most, that's a large hernia).

http://www.ethiconinstitute.com/node/885/asset

I wrote that last post more as a summary of my thoughts on the subject. Since I've been stuck right in the middle of it, I'll probably be thinking and talking about it until I die.

I'm actually doing really well since removal surgery. Dr. Peter S. Billing of Eviva in Shoreline WA removed both sides in two operations. It's tedious, difficult work, I think. Each side took 2-4 hours. He said that the right side was folded over and inflamed, and the left side had moved medially (toward the middle) and downward. And was very inflamed. The original small direct hernia on the right side was filled in by scar tissue. He has been removing mesh for eight years, in addition to his main practice focus.

So at this point I'm essentially back to where I was just before I got the hernia. But the last three years have been difficult, for more than just me. Which brings up something else I've realized - many surgeons will just see you as an abdomen with a defect when you go in to talk about your hernia. Like a tire that needs a patch. They'll install the patch and if it doesn't leak they consider their work to be done, and successful. They will listen to your words at the initial consultation but, probably, won't really hear anything about weight-lifting or running or biking or hiking or sports. Just an abdomen with a hole in it.

Some doctors will consider your activities and plans but it's surprising how many don't. Even the ones that acknowledge that there might be differences in mesh and materials will still be thinking about a large piece of mesh to cover that small hole. Because recurrence is what success is based on, not quality of life. It's in the training.

The field has changed a lot in just the three years since I got the hernia. When I was looking for a fix, I had to choose between open and laparoscopic. It was still a choice. Now, just three years later, it seems that everybody is recommending lap. Maybe because they get graded on short-term issues, like infections and suture tears. Not the 20+ years that the patient will live with the procedure.
    Last edited by SoccerAgain; 01-01-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Wow, that sounds like quite the removal procedure, glad you're checking in and letting us know how you're getting on, it's very hard to find patient outcomes, this thread is an excellent source. Obviously there will be some filtering and bias to the thread, because of the nature of the forum, and the subset of people that are posting, but I haven't found a better source of patient viewpoints.

I completely agree with your assessment of the lumping together of materials and mesh, it's understandable that all the options can't be explained to all patients by virtue of location, surgeon expertise and other factors, but it is slightly concerning how the procedure is often labelled as a very simple/routine one; obviously compared to complex heart surgery, the risk is low, but there are such varied outcomes, I see it as very hard for a patient to choose. It is very much a case of read as much as you can before making a decision.

You looked up my details correctly, I had open surgery from a specialist who had a very strong interest in long term records/statistics and patient outcomes; I have a maths background so I appreciated being able to have some good outcome discussions. I had a right side inguinal hernia, I believe mine was a small one from birth which had enlarged with strain. I think my mesh was the ProGrip, but the surgeon said he did vary his choice based on patient. I didn't mention the brand originally because it was impressed upon me that it's more about the surgeon, patient, and familiarity with technique, than a particular brand of mesh. I've had a good experience so far, but I know you can find some bad stories about almost all mesh if you search.

Exactly as you say, there are so many hernia types, body types, surgeons, mesh types that finding a "right answer" isn't really possible, it's very much down to getting all the info you can.

Again, glad to hear you're getting on OK and I hope you keep us updated with, hopefully good, progress =D I intend to keep lurking here and sharing my experiences and any useful information I can; it's great to be able to discuss this stuff with others.

temerity76 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was diagnosed with left side Inguinal hernia in first week of sept 17 and finally got open mesh surgery done yesterday. 9.1.18.

3D mesh used Freedom Profile 25mm. Doctor said it was mainly indirect + direct hernia and walls are weak.

First night was ok with pains everytime I turned or moved. Searing pain if I coughed! It feels as if stiches are tearing apart with a cough.

I was discharged same day from hospital.
    Today is second day and I feel much better. Slight pain while getting up /sitting. Coughing /sneezing /laughing is accompanied by sudden outward bulge and extreme pain, which I read is normal the first 30 days.

Will keep updating every now and then. Doc said he will open stitch next week. Regular followup with doc once a month for 3 months.