Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1691
    TylerBCTY is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I'll add my story to the list

Injured and gave myself a hernia at work November 25th, lower right groin. Surgery got scheduled for April 13th. So after the initial injury I took a few days off work then took it easy for another week or two. I had a hard time staying out of the gym though. I took it easy at the gym for a couple weeks building back confidence and strength. I was worried about my core so started to work a lot on my core as much as I could and got back to a pretty good place for stability and strength. And managed to get back up to 275ish for deadlifts and such. Didn't want to go higher then that. I had my surgery on the 13th and did my last workout on the 11th.

Surgery went well and I was pretty nervous going into it, anxiety got the best of me. I wasn't completely knocked out during the surgery. They used local freezing and iv anesthetic. I only remember one sharp pain and I woke up 35min later. Wasn't to much pain when I woke up. Within 20 min I walked back to the room I got unchanged in and had a seat for about an hour while the nurses talked about discharge and then an hour or two after surgery I was in the car on the way home. At this point my right leg was frozen from the freezing and theysent me out on some t3s. I was only given t3s for pain. Get something better for the first two days if you can.

When I got home it was straight to bed where I stayed 3-5 days. The first night was the most pain I've ever experienced I was shaking laying in bed not sure what to do managed with the t3s. My surgery was scalpel btw. Not sure if pain is better without a 2.5" cut. I pretty much hunched over to get around the first week. Rod and balls started to go a bit black and blue near the end of the week. Icing the area helped with the pain and I pretty much kept doing that for two weeks.

At this point I thought I'd see if the goods still work and if it was painful to amuse myself, it wasn't so that's fantastic haha. By the end of the second week I can stand up straight and move around faster. I stopped the meds a little after the first week, didn't need them.

Right now just finishing the third week getting And getting Andy to pickup some weights again. Doing light dumbell stuff in the house and that feels ok. Still nowhere ready to do body weight squats. I'll post back in another week to give an update. I plan to push a little more everyday and see how it goes.

Good luck guys

nfiniti23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

thanks! I have questions though about what exercises I can do.

My 1st Post!
    Glad I found this thread. I've had 2 laparascopic inguinal hernia surgeries.

I had my 1st one (right side) back in 2008. Not sure what caused it, but I believe it was my "successful" try at the Atkins diet, when I lost 21 lbs in 17 days (6foot1 dude weighing 175 lbs for almost 2 years, just dieting and running). Recovery was fast, basically 90% pain-free upon waking up off the anesthesia, and didn't have to take any painkillers. After the 1st surgery, doc said it looked like the left side would soon have hernia also. he was correct, because in 2010 I noticed the "bump". Around this time is when I switched from a fitness-oriented workout to a more heavy- weight lifting workout. I never felt pain, and it wasn't a "strangled" hernia, so I ignored it for 7 years, until this past February 2017 when I had a bad coughing attack, and felt like something pushed out thru the "bump".

I just had my 2nd inguinal (left side) hernia surgery 9 days ago (may 1 2017, same surgeon as 1st surgery). He said it was WAY much bigger than last time, and had to do 4 incisions instead of the standard 1 or 2 incisions. Not sure what caused it, but most likely regaining back the 21 lbs lost, and putting on an extra 35 lbs, maybe also bad form in certain exercises. I even had to take painkiller percocet a couple times in the first 3 days, but I was up and walking by day 5. By day 6, I was 90% pain free.

Now on to my situation. Doc does not want me to lift no more than 15 pounds for the 1st 6 weeks and no bending at the waist. BUT even after that, due to my whole inguinal area being one big mesh, increment my lifts by only 10-15 lbs monthly. I asked if I could do core work to strengthen that area and lower the risk of relapse, and doc said no situps, crunches, nothing that directly impacts that area, for at least 6 months maybe longer.
    So, Am I correct in assuming that probably also includes deadlifts and squats, and possibly most leg exercises?

What exercises/lifts can I do, that won't impact or tense up the front abs/inguinal area?
    Are there any core exercises that I can do at all?

Thanks, and appreciate all suggestions.

Julio

KungFuFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nfiniti23 View Post
    My 1st Post!
    Now on to my situation. Doc does not want me to lift no more than 15 pounds for the 1st 6 weeks and no bending at the waist. BUT even after that, due to my whole inguinal area being one big mesh, increment my lifts by only 10-15 lbs monthly. I asked if I could do core work to strengthen that area and lower the risk of relapse, and doc said no situps, crunches, nothing that directly impacts that area, for at least 6 months maybe longer.
    So, Am I correct in assuming that probably also includes deadlifts and squats, and possibly most leg exercises?

What exercises/lifts can I do, that won't impact or tense up the front abs/inguinal area?
    Are there any core exercises that I can do at all?

Thanks, and appreciate all suggestions.

Julio
    I've posted further back so you can see in detail what my situation was, but in terms of a short roundup/disclaimer: I had right hand side inguinal hernia repair around a year ago; It was a long standing hernia(apparently) that enlarged which is when I noticed it. I never had any pain before, or after repair and I had an open mesh repair. I am also not a medical professional.

Firstly, I would definitely listen to your surgeon's advice, he/she knows what exactly went on in with your particular repair.

I held off ab focussed exercises entirely for around 6 weeks and very slowly started introducing leg raises with varying degrees of difficulty/reps. My surgeon actually wasn't a fan of situps/crunches in general because of manner in which some people curl up, essentially compressing your internals in the direction of your repair.

Early on in the recovery I bought some of the stronger exercise/physio bands and used those whilst lying on the floor to work various leg muscles whilst leaving my core alone. Same with light weights and certain lifts.

Ideally concentrate more on healing in the first few weeks, walking a lot is great for bloodflow. Best of luck with your recovery!

nfiniti23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks! I'll look into those physio bands.

Originally Posted by KungFuFighting View Post
    I've posted further back so you can see in detail what my situation was, but in terms of a short roundup/disclaimer: I had right hand side inguinal hernia repair around a year ago; It was a long standing hernia(apparently) that enlarged which is when I noticed it. I never had any pain before, or after repair and I had an open mesh repair. I am also not a medical professional.

Firstly, I would definitely listen to your surgeon's advice, he/she knows what exactly went on in with your particular repair.

I held off ab focussed exercises entirely for around 6 weeks and very slowly started introducing leg raises with varying degrees of difficulty/reps. My surgeon actually wasn't a fan of situps/crunches in general because of manner in which some people curl up, essentially compressing your internals in the direction of your repair.

Early on in the recovery I bought some of the stronger exercise/physio bands and used those whilst lying on the floor to work various leg muscles whilst leaving my core alone. Same with light weights and certain lifts.

Ideally concentrate more on healing in the first few weeks, walking a lot is great for bloodflow. Best of luck with your recovery!

HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) HibachiBurrow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 5 weeks post op right now and had a bit of a scare. I've been doing some jogging and elliptical work the past week and at first I had no issues. The past couple of days has been not as lovely. I've had discomfort most of the time in the whole area again. Is this likely from tearing some scar tissue from working out again? Or is it growth of scar tissue just adding pressure to the area? Or should I be concerned that the repair was damaged? Did anyone else experience this when they started working out again or around the 5-6 week mark? Weeks 3 and 4 I wasn't working out but I was basically pain free. I didn't push it hard at all for jogging or elliptical and it was very basic to the point that I was barely sweating from the elliptical work.

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution FIREnICE's Avatar
    FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HibachiBurrow View Post
    I'm 5 weeks post op right now and had a bit of a scare. I've been doing some jogging and elliptical work the past week and at first I had no issues. The past couple of days has been not as lovely. I've had discomfort most of the time in the whole area again. Is this likely from tearing some scar tissue from working out again? Or is it growth of scar tissue just adding pressure to the area? Or should I be concerned that the repair was damaged? Did anyone else experience this when they started working out again or around the 5-6 week mark? Weeks 3 and 4 I wasn't working out but I was basically pain free. I didn't push it hard at all for jogging or elliptical and it was very basic to the point that I was barely sweating from the elliptical work.
    way too early for your guts to be jumping up and down. everyone and their doctor says that it's safe to run after a few weeks, but from personal experience, especially if you've got a small gut or bigger, it's best to wait. jumping is the worst btw
    We're All Gonna Make It
    *Trump Crew since June 2015 Crew*
    ***RIP ZYZZ***

linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by linksjack View Post
    So here's another update from me, relevant to what I said shortly after the surgery.

It's been a littler over 4 months now and the numbness (see quote) is mostly gone. I didn't even notice when the feeling came back, but it is. So my suspicion, that the surgeon cut the N. ilioinguinalis was wrong. Looks like the nerve was (only) damaged or irritated during the surgery and is back to normal now.

I didn't believe there would be any relevant changes after the 2 months mark, but as I can see on my own body, healing takes longer and happens even after weeks and months, just in smaller steps.
    6 month after surgery now: Feeling pretty much normal most of the time. Still have an occasional pinching feeling (maybe once or twice a week), but nothing painful. Overall very happy with the outcome (open surgery with mesh and fibrin glue).

Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by linksjack View Post
    6 month after surgery now: Feeling pretty much normal most of the time. Still have an occasional pinching feeling (maybe once or twice a week), but nothing painful. Overall very happy with the outcome (open surgery with mesh and fibrin glue).
    Slight update: I'm about 10 weeks after my right laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery. I've been having some on and off discomfort and ache which I've pretty much gotten used too, have just been patient, telling myself to give more time to relax, and be positive (in the beginning, I was very rushed to heal and ended up being very unhappy). Have starting doing some yoga to stretch my back muscles as well.

Right now at this instant, suddenly I have this weird tightness just around my hernia area, my right testicle also feel that slight tenderness. When I walk, this tightness was quite consistent, and it was something that I've never experienced before during my healing process (of course, not comparing it with the initial few days).

I have an existing lower back issue, and my right lower back has been acting up much more, I got a feeling it's linked to the nerves or something, that's why when I feel my lower back ache, my groin area will somehow feel something. Just wondering if you guys faced this before? Am quite worried that my pain has kind of become like chronic.

Thank you all for the kind advice!
    “I do it because I can,
    I can because I want to,
    I want to because you said I couldn't.” -Unknown

“I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

I live by the quote 'No Pain, No Gain'.

I'm NOT gonna let PE affect me!

Scottkmlps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Second hernia surgery complete

Just went in yesterday for my second hernia surgery. This one was done on the left side, the first was done on the right side. Both were open method with mesh. First one was done in August 2015. All I have to say is this second one is a whole lot better than the 1st one. At the hospital at 9:30am, into the O.R. by 11:30, and back home by 2:30 pm. Was up and walking for 2-3 hours after I got home, cooking dinner and doing dishes. Sleeping wasn't great cause I have to sleep on my back and I'm a stomach sleeper. Developed a slight cough today so that hasn't been pleasant. Peeing has been no problem. Still waiting for my first bowel movement, so if that doesn't happen by tonight, will start taking some milk of magnesia. Pain is minimal, was given a prescription for T3's, filled it, but haven't had to have any. Have just been using 400mg ibuprofen every 6-8 hours.
    Was told by the doctor, no lifting anything over 10lbs for 10 days, than gradually increase. Nothing strenuous for 6 weeks. At that time, it's no limitations.
    First surgery was much more painful compared to this one. The first one I would say was about a 7 on a scale of 10 for pain. This one would be a 2-3. Hoping this recovery is much quicker than the last one.

mistertee87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SoccerAgain View Post
    I looked back but couldn't find any details on your surgery, besides that it was laparoscopic, for a right-side inguinal hernia.

There are so many different types of surgery and the surgeons do the same types in different ways. With details. somersetting might become clear between the people with problems and the people without.

There is no individual personal strength involved in having successful surgery. It's not a battle between patients, it's really a contest between surgeons and techniques.

I'm still screwed up, 2 1/2 years later. Bilateral laparoscopic surgery with mesh, for a right-side direct inguinal hernia. I'm a smart guy, I did my homework, I picked an "expert" with many surgeries behind him, who was also a partner in a training school for laparoscopic surgery. Surgeons attended his school to get up to date on the latest methods.

So, just saying "I had surgery and feel good now, don't be afraid" is just self-serving. Provide the details so that people can make an informed choice. Give your surgeon's name if he's good. I'd give mine but I haven't been able to be sure if it's the materials and technique or just me, so it wouldn't be fair, in my opinion.

You can't just make your surgery and healing go well by being strong and tough. So, without details of the actual surgery, nothing is learned except that you were lucky.
    Look at the other posts in this thread and overwhelmingly the surgeries go well. That's a statistic. Of course there are many factors. My surgery was right side, laparoscopic, indirect, and larger than average.

Nearly 7 months out my concern is now the other side. It feels "off" and a little weak with certain workouts. But I know if I have to go back sometime it's not a huge deal. Just hopefully not for a few years at least.

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mistertee87 View Post
    Look at the other posts in this thread and overwhelmingly the surgeries go well. That's a statistic. Of course there are many factors. My surgery was right side, laparoscopic, indirect, and larger than average.

Nearly 7 months out my concern is now the other side. It feels "off" and a little weak with certain workouts. But I know if I have to go back sometime it's not a huge deal. Just hopefully not for a few years at least.
    That's not the point of my comments. Your post is typical. Short-term results reported as good (I survived the surgery!), but you'll disappear when long-term results aren't good. It's the long-term that matters. I'd take a year of pain if the following 20 got me back to 90% of who I was before the surgery. Even 80%. Not before the hernia, but before the surgery. I was better off, overall, with the hernia.

And I still don't see the details of your surgery. Maybe you don't know them. That's the other point. Of all of the different ways the surgeons do things, there's little reported correlation between methods and results. You're just reporting that your surgeon did something to you, details unknown, and seven months later you can workout but still have issues, and you'll just go back for more surgery if things get bad. Not really a glowing recommendation to go get the surgery (whatever it might be) done.

Still waiting for the guys who had the surgery two or three or more years ago to come in and describe what state they're in today, and what was done.

Hi all,

Just a brief followup on my surgery, 1 year + 1 month ago, nothing hugely interesting to report bar what I've previously written (page 34). My experience has been very positive, I've never really had any pain to speak of, either from the hernia itself, or from the surgery/recovery.

I had open mesh repair for a right hand side inguinal hernia, I'm UK based and went to a private hernia specialist. I noticed my hernia (which I think was a medium sized one) whilst showering, I'd never experienced pain from it, and had likely done some Kung Fu/ground fighting with it (this was not the cause). The surgeon said it was a long standing hernia which had enlarged.

1 year on I don't notice any difference in the repair area in any activities, although I'm obviously aware I've had the repair done, so am perhaps more conscious of the region before. That said, I try not to do overly strenuous core focussed excercises and am a more mindful of the region in general.

I'm very happy with my decision to undergo the repair/method used. My surgeon said the hernia would have enlarged further eventually, so in my mind there was nothing really to be gained by waiting.

I'll continue to try and check in from time to time.

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for sharing. I wish that I had stuck with my original referral to an old-school doctor who did open surgery. I thought that I was being smart by doing more research and going with laparoscopic surgery from a surgeon who uses large areas of mesh. Two 6x6 pieces. It's the material that's not even over the hernia site that's causing me problems. Some of today's surgeon are getting ahead of themselves I think and are using the "more is better" principle, instead of what's been proven to work.

Good luck.

dgarza87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey I have double growing hernias and I'm considering Desarda with Dr. Tomas... i too am obsessed with the gym and love lifting heavy. I was wondering if you could please shear with me how the surgery has affected you as far as the gym and lifting after all this time???? Please I'm really confused as to what surgery I should do...

Thanks for sharing. I wish that I had stuck with my original referral to an old-school doctor who did open surgery. I thought that I was being smart by doing more research and going with laparoscopic surgery from a surgeon who uses large areas of mesh. Two 6x6 pieces. It's the material that's not even over the hernia site that's causing me problems. Some of today's surgeon are getting ahead of themselves I think and are using the "more is better" principle, instead of what's been proven to work.

Good luck.
    Good luck as well I hope there's some way forward for you. It does seem that there's so much variation in technique/surgeon/patients that it's hard to get a clear picture of what the best move for an individual is with any confidence. I'll try and continue to post any changes/updates in this forum.

Take care.

cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

I'm pretty sure my Inguinal hernia has reoccurred, 7 months after surgery. I feel demoralised Doc appt. next Wednesday to confirm.

It's a little late now but has anyone got any advice on how to stop the hernia coming back?
    Too busy training to justify myself to idiots

Originally Posted by cr4igyj82 View Post
    I'm pretty sure my Inguinal hernia has reoccurred, 7 months after surgery. I feel demoralised Doc appt. next Wednesday to confirm.

It's a little late now but has anyone got any advice on how to stop the hernia coming back?
    What kind of surgery did you have, for what type of hernia? Direct or indirect?

What have you been doing that might have caused the recurrence? What are the signs that you're seeing now? Could be just some adjustments your body is making. Your body will keep changing slightly for years, to adjust to the effects of the hernia repair surgery.

Good luck.

cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cr4igyj82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What kind of surgery did you have, for what type of hernia? Direct or indirect?

What have you been doing that might have caused the recurrence? What are the signs that you're seeing now? Could be just some adjustments your body is making. Your body will keep changing slightly for years, to adjust to the effects of the hernia repair surgery.

Good luck.
    It's an Inguinal hernia and I had keyhole surgery in November 2016. The lump definitely has come back but the doctor says he can't sure it needs repairing until I see a specialist. Just waiting for the appt. to come through.

I waited 10 weeks after the surgery and started fierce 5, which I've been doing ever since.
    Too busy training to justify myself to idiots

mistertee87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's not the point of my comments. Your post is typical. Short-term results reported as good (I survived the surgery!), but you'll disappear when long-term results aren't good. It's the long-term that matters. I'd take a year of pain if the following 20 got me back to 90% of who I was before the surgery. Even 80%. Not before the hernia, but before the surgery. I was better off, overall, with the hernia.

And I still don't see the details of your surgery. Maybe you don't know them. That's the other point. Of all of the different ways the surgeons do things, there's little reported correlation between methods and results. You're just reporting that your surgeon did something to you, details unknown, and seven months later you can workout but still have issues, and you'll just go back for more surgery if things get bad. Not really a glowing recommendation to go get the surgery (whatever it might be) done.

Still waiting for the guys who had the surgery two or three or more years ago to come in and describe what state they're in today, and what was done.
    Details ? I said laparoscopic right side for a large indirect inguinal hernia. What else do you need?
    No, I don't have any problems from the right side or the surgery. it really is 100% as far as I can tel. I said the left side feels a bit weak and weird at times, but maybe that's my imagination. Anyway, even if the left side has problems - it has NOTHING to do with the right side where I had the surgery.
    The surgery goes very very well for most.
    Tell you what, I'll check about every couple months and for years and update on my condition> Just so anyone reading this can see a long term view.

GrkLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey all,

Going in for my surgery in a couple of days... bilateral inguinal hernia via laparoscopy.

I'm a teacher here in Aus and just had 2 weeks of holidays, and i'm booked in for the 3rd day back at work meaning i'll have to eat into my sick/annual leave Quite unlucky, but that's what you get when you rely on the public health system and don't have private health insurance! Waited 10 weeks to be booked in since I was booked in by the Specialist. Lucky to live in a country that will provide it for little to no cost, though.

Anyways i'm pretty damn scared. Never been in for surgery before. I suppose it's like many things in life where the waiting and anticipation is worse than the actual thing itself (like waiting to give an oral presentation being worse than being up there and speaking etc).

Also pretty damn cut at obsessing over gym for so long and making such slow and hard gains over the course of 5 years, and now I have to face the fact that i'm gunna lose so much size. Then again i'm bitching to the choir here.

Peace.
    Last edited by GrkLifter; 07-15-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Originally Posted by GrkLifter View Post
    Hey all,
    Anyways i'm pretty damn scared. Never been in for surgery before. I suppose it's like many things in life where the waiting and anticipation is worse than the actual thing itself (like waiting to give an oral presentation being worse than being up there and speaking etc).
    Peace.
    Im sure it's not any great consolation, but I was really anxious before my surgery. Like yourself I'd never had any surgical procedure at all, I had a really nice anaesthetist who put me at ease and I opted for sedation. After a fairly nervous walk to the table, I remember her inserting the IV, my arm being slightly cold, trying to count down from 10, and then just waking up in the recovery room.

As you're having a laparoscopic procedure, I believe you won't need to choose, they'll put you straight out; the anaesthetist will be your best friend. It slightly put me at ease when mine came to see me and pointed at my face, smiling, and said "You look really nervous! It's OK, we'll give you some great stuff, it'll make you feel very, very happy".

Best of luck.

GrkLifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KungFuFighting View Post
    Im sure it's not any great consolation, but I was really anxious before my surgery. Like yourself I'd never had any surgical procedure at all, I had a really nice anaesthetist who put me at ease and I opted for sedation. After a fairly nervous walk to the table, I remember her inserting the IV, my arm being slightly cold, trying to count down from 10, and then just waking up in the recovery room.

As you're having a laparoscopic procedure, I believe you won't need to choose, they'll put you straight out; the anaesthetist will be your best friend. It slightly put me at ease when mine came to see me and pointed at my face, smiling, and said "You look really nervous! It's OK, we'll give you some great stuff, it'll make you feel very, very happy".

Best of luck.
    Thanks so much for the reply mate. I'm sure i'll be right. Hoping they pump me with that happy stuff haha
    I'll update on Thursday when I'm home from surgery.

dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dogandbroom has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Alright guys so I've suspected I had one for years now and finally went to a doctor last week. He diagnosed me having one and sent me to a specialist yesterday (surgeon). The surgeon examined me and diagnosed me that same way, saying that I have a small inguinal hernia on the right side. We discussed laproscopic vs open. It sounded like he was leaning towards Lap because he has noticed patients experience less chronic pain vs w/ open.

The only problem is I was born with Gastroschisis (born with my intestines out of the body) and also had a hernia in the same spot as an infant. He said that if we do Lap there is a chance that he will not be able to complete the surgery because of possible internal adhesions from my previous surgeries. At that point he would just have to switch to performing Open.

Is Lap really better than Open? He wouldn't give me a def yes or no, but Open involves more internal stitches (pain) and greater risk for hitting a nerve in the area + "slightly longer" healing time.

My wife and I just bought a house and are moving within the next few weeks. This will have to wait until after that since he said it is not an emergency.

My BIGGEST concerns is which one will get me back to normal quicker and NOT affect any nerves/testicles/sex/impair my ability to have kids.
    Last edited by dogandbroom; 08-01-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Originally Posted by dogandbroom View Post
    My BIGGEST concerns is which one will get me back to normal quicker and NOT affect any nerves/testicles/sex/impair my ability to have kids.
    The results of your choice will be with you for the rest of your life. Don't assume that all of the surgery choices will get you back to "normal". And don't assume that surgeon is talking about his own patients when he talks about results of laparoscopy versus open versus open with stitching (Desarda, Shouldice, etc). I think that many of them are repeating what the mesh manufacturers have told them. Ask him if he's actually talked to patients after a year or two, and had them say that they're back to normal, or said that they're happy with their choice. Many surgeons assume that if they don't hear back that there patients must be in great shape. No news is good news.

Hate to be a downer but these are the questions I should have asked my surgeon. They are perfectly reasonable questions but you'll probably be surprised at how little he/she actually knows about the long-term results of their work.

Google "hernia mesh removal" and you'll see a trend. Many of the surgeons today are using their own "custom" techniques, as far as shaping and placing mesh. They should all be trending toward the "best" method but there's still a lot of experimenting going on, but with nobody measuring long-term results. "Recurrence" is still the metric they use, not satisfaction, or quality of life.

Find a surgeon who can actually show that they have happy patients. Good luck. Trust but verify. Put a few months in now, to ensure good results for years.

I would agree with the bulk of what SoccerAgain said about spending time doing as much research as you can, and if at all possible trying research the surgeon you'll have (clearly ability to do this varies depending on country/individual status).

The main takeaway I had from my surgeon was that the surgeon/familiarity with chosen technique was a greater factor in outcomes than the choice of a particular mesh or technique itself. It is a very common operation, and we only have our own experiences to offer, which are very relevant to us, but getting some idea of the results of the surgeon/hospital you may use will be very informative.

In my case, I had open, I didn't have stitches and I have had no pain from the surgery, even days after, but I certainly wouldn't expect that, or recommend it on that basis; I was told you can't really predict how much pain will be experienced from the actual surgery/incision site as it varies so much from person to person. I do remember reading something (I think a study, but this is from memory) that said laproscopic had a slightly improved recovery time, and slightly lower pain during that time, but I'm not a medical professional.

Again, must stress I'm not a medical professional, but in terms of testicle damage/ability to have children, I believe it's a very low risk operation.

Congrats on the house =D

chewymix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The results of your choice will be with you for the rest of your life. Don't assume that all of the surgery choices will get you back to "normal". And don't assume that surgeon is talking about his own patients when he talks about results of laparoscopy versus open versus open with stitching (Desarda, Shouldice, etc). I think that many of them are repeating what the mesh manufacturers have told them. Ask him if he's actually talked to patients after a year or two, and had them say that they're back to normal, or said that they're happy with their choice. Many surgeons assume that if they don't hear back that there patients must be in great shape. No news is good news.

Hate to be a downer but these are the questions I should have asked my surgeon. They are perfectly reasonable questions but you'll probably be surprised at how little he/she actually knows about the long-term results of their work.

Google "hernia mesh removal" and you'll see a trend. Many of the surgeons today are using their own "custom" techniques, as far as shaping and placing mesh. They should all be trending toward the "best" method but there's still a lot of experimenting going on, but with nobody measuring long-term results. "Recurrence" is still the metric they use, not satisfaction, or quality of life.

Find a surgeon who can actually show that they have happy patients. Good luck. Trust but verify. Put a few months in now, to ensure good results for years.
    I agree with everything here - i actually chose perhaps one of the best 3 hernia docs on the planet for active young patients and i have still ended up in a bad way. Nothing the surgeon did was 'wrong' but nothing prepared me for the way my body reacted to be being cut open and the abdominal wall sewn back together. I seem to have scar tissue effecting one/many nerves in the area so even if you feel 'great' straight off the bat that is no indication of how you will feel 3, 6 or 12 months down the road. My surgeon near flatly refuses to use any mesh on younger patients as she see's how 'well' we heal and with that means scarring and with that scarring means problems. It maybe that i am having a stronger reaction to the polypropylene thread they use for the single permanent suture in my non mesh surgery but 4 years on and i am still broken.

Be careful.

smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    10 MONTH UPDATE: Thought I'd throw in an update. I had bilaterals patched with mesh laparoscopically on 3-7-16. I had a rough recovery and it was rough for about 10 weeks. At around 12 weeks, though, things turned much better very quickly for me. Started lifting heavy again (heavier), doing abs etc...basically felt pretty normal. At 5 months I started a heavy bulk that I just ended. I lost a lot during my down time and went down to 148. I bulked to 180 and just now started my cut. Basically I felt 100% ready to rock at 5 months; no holds barred and things have been fine since. Sure, I have a twinge in the area now and then but I did before the surgery too. I'm 47 and expect a few twinges here and there. I'll go on record and say I'm glad I had the surgery done and happy with the whole procedure overall.
    Almost 1.5 yrs now and still feel great; glad I had it done the way I did. Obviously hind sight is 20/20 so, naturally, I'm going to say that. I think the most important thing to remember here is that I think some people expect too much. We are a very demanding society and we think we should have absolutely zero pain, ever again, in the area we just had surgery on. In 2015 I had to have my tricept re-attached after a complete unattachment. I still have some twinges now and then. I asked my surgeon about that and he basically explained to me the severity of the surgery and pointed out the holes drilled in the bone; anchors etc... and that we can try to chase a pain free elbow but that could lead to no where. I guess all I'm saying is that when you are cut open and have foreign objects installed in your body, to have a few twinges of pain every now and then should be expected. In 2014 I had to have the end of my clavicle cut off to make room at the AC joint (distal clavicle excision). I have zero pain from that surgery but I feel very fortunate that I don't. If I had, I would think it's normal. All of my surgeries have me in less pain than I was in before and they have all kept me doing what I love to do; so I'm happy!
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card

Almost 1.5 yrs now and still feel great; glad I had it done the way I did. Obviously hind sight is 20/20 so, naturally, I'm going to say that. I think the most important thing to remember here is that I think some people expect too much. We are a very demanding society and we think we should have absolutely zero pain, ever again, in the area we just had surgery on. In 2015 I had to have my tricept re-attached after a complete unattachment. I still have some twinges now and then. I asked my surgeon about that and he basically explained to me the severity of the surgery and pointed out the holes drilled in the bone; anchors etc... and that we can try to chase a pain free elbow but that could lead to no where. I guess all I'm saying is that when you are cut open and have foreign objects installed in your body, to have a few twinges of pain every now and then should be expected. In 2014 I had to have the end of my clavicle cut off to make room at the AC joint (distal clavicle excision). I have zero pain from that surgery but I feel very fortunate that I don't. If I had, I would think it's normal. All of my surgeries have me in less pain than I was in before and they have all kept me doing what I love to do; so I'm happy!
    One major problem with trying to have these conversations is supplying enough detail, and correlating the details of the surgery with the details of the results.

I also have been in good shape recently. As long as I don't run or bike or hike or play soccer or do any cyclic leg movements and exertions like mowing and/or raking the lawn. So, if I was an average person, who just went to work every day and only went to the gym for weight work, and wasn't a runner or biker or hiker, I'd probably think that I was fine (I'm not implying that you are that type smokinal, just describing what works for me now). But a major part of my life before the surgery was doing all of those things I listed. I can't do those any more without soreness and other side effects. I have to be a completely different person now.

I had bilateral laparoscopic mesh for a direct hernia, and a lipoma. I've been back several times and the surgeon always pronounces "no hernia", like it's the reason I went in. It's his main focus. So now I'm considering mesh removal, but it can cause problems that might take away what I have left.

If the surgeons would just relay the true possible effects, with probabilities, we'd all be better off. I could be running and hiking and everything else, just at a lower level. But they sold me the vision of the standard of care and I fell for it.

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution FIREnICE's Avatar
    FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FIREnICE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    only thing i can say is to WALK, WALK and WALK some more. 3-5 miles a day will keep that groin region nice and fluid. also avoid inflammatory foods. they will have you hurting BAD. unfortunately, area down there becomes a mess after.

oh and cold showers to keep inflammation down and regulate your body. even ice baths if you can. these things should help.
    We're All Gonna Make It
    *Trump Crew since June 2015 Crew*
    ***RIP ZYZZ***

Almost 1.5 yrs now and still feel great; glad I had it done the way I did....

All of my surgeries have me in less pain than I was in before and they have all kept me doing what I love to do; so I'm happy!
    To be clear, thanks for the comments about your long-term results smokinal.

At this point it seems like it might be the type of activity that might be the best indicator of what type of surgery will work for a person. It seems reasonable that activities that cause repetitive movement of the groin and lower abdomen, hundreds or thousands of cycles, like a long run or a soccer game or a hike in the hills, could cause aggravation from the mesh, whereas 10-20 reps at a time over a small range of motion in the gym don't.

Just trying to parse through the posts so far to see if there's something really useful, besides a list of people it "worked" for versus those it didn't.

So, to add to my previous post about asking your surgeon if he can actually produce people who have had good results, make sure that you define what you expect to do afterward. Running and weight-lifting are not the same.