Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1691
    mistertee87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SoccerAgain View Post
    17 days is NOTHING. No offense, I know you're feeling good because you made it through. But you haven't even completely healed yet. Come back in one year before giving advice.
    Now it's been a month. I get there are complications down the line for a small minority for people. The vast majority it does go well for. There is some risk as with any surgery, but it's far better to get the hernia fixed than try to live with it.

Also, prior posts on this thread detailing progress at early stages helped me. Whether it was someone posting a couple days or a couple years after a surgery - it's all useful information.
    Last edited by mistertee87; 12-14-2016 at 11:22 AM.

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mistertee87 View Post
    Now it's been a month. I get there are complications down the line for a small minority for people. The vast majority it does go well for. There is some risk as with any surgery, but it's far better to get the hernia fixed than try to live with it.

Also, prior posts on this thread detailing progress at early stages helped me. Whether it was someone posting a couple days or a couple years after a surgery - it's all useful information.
    I wish you the best and hope you don't have any problems. But you just don't KNOW what you're saying. You don't have information from the vast majority. You're just repeating what you read on the internet or what your surgeon told you. No offense, but you only know that you feel good three weeks after the surgery. You're not even back to your old activity level.

I only logged in and posted to counter your "don't worry about it" comment. People should worry and they should do their homework. cheweymix's story is a perfect example. There is a professional out there who does not use mesh for active athletes because she's seen problems. If I had known that before I had mine done I would have went to Canada and had the Shouldice procedure, or waited until I found a surgeon who worked on athletes.

But all I could find were recommendations that laparoscopic mesh was the way to do it and that open surgery was out-dated. This is advice from a friend who is a surgeon. Even they don't know, because they don't follow-up. Also from the SAGES videos on Youtube from their professional yearly conferences. A whole group of new young surgeons promoting mesh, because it leaves a smaller scar and it's outpatient surgery No idea of what happens long-term.

The vast majority of people aren't very active. That's why people need to decide where they fit in and what method is best for them. There's no one-method-fits-all, therefore there's no blanket statement you can make about the surgery. Be careful and ask questions.

If I sound bitter, I am. You can still get screwed up by the pros, even today with all of this modern technology.

Originally Posted by SoccerAgain View Post
    I wish you the best and hope you don't have any problems. But you just don't KNOW what you're saying. You don't have information from the vast majority. You're just repeating what you read on the internet or what your surgeon told you. No offense, but you only know that you feel good three weeks after the surgery. You're not even back to your old activity level.

I only logged in and posted to counter your "don't worry about it" comment. People should worry and they should do their homework. cheweymix's story is a perfect example. There is a professional out there who does not use mesh for active athletes because she's seen problems. If I had known that before I had mine done I would have went to Canada and had the Shouldice procedure, or waited until I found a surgeon who worked on athletes.

But all I could find were recommendations that laparoscopic mesh was the way to do it and that open surgery was out-dated. This is advice from a friend who is a surgeon. Even they don't know, because they don't follow-up. Also from the SAGES videos on Youtube from their professional yearly conferences. A whole group of new young surgeons promoting mesh, because it leaves a smaller scar and it's outpatient surgery No idea of what happens long-term.

The vast majority of people aren't very active. That's why people need to decide where they fit in and what method is best for them. There's no one-method-fits-all, therefore there's no blanket statement you can make about the surgery. Be careful and ask questions.

If I sound bitter, I am. You can still get screwed up by the pros, even today with all of this modern technology.
    750,000 inguinal hernia surgeries are performed every year in the United States. It seems the vast majority of them do go well. If there was a large number that didn't, we'd hear a lot more about it. As with any surgery there are risks and complications. Look at this thread as an anecdotal example. I'd say at least 9 out of 10 stories worked out okay.

My comment "don't worry about it" was mainly to address the surgery itself. You hear so many horror stories, but MOST LIKELY it will be fine - even long term.

That being said, fine, I can agree that things can go wrong, but that's the case with ANY procedure. You always should educate yourself and be cautious.

I just found it interesting you tried to state that you can't post about this experience until a year out. Most of the posters on this thread posted from day 1 to day 50 or so, and most never came back.

Weakender is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb

I am not a "body builder" in the traditional sense of this community but face challenges similar to many who have contributed here. I was a varsity wrestler throughout high school and entered college strong and fit. As an avid mountain biker, I remained in good shape throughout college and grad school but gradually lost ground due to a demanding yet sedentary career (desk jockey and weekend warrior). Though never clinically overweight (peaking at 5'10" and 175 lbs), I struggled with gout for over a decade before a particularly acute attack in late 2015 convinced me to tackle the underlying problem rather than its symptoms. I consulted a rheumatologist who prescribed Allopurinol to limit synthesis of uric acid, but elevated ALT and AST enzyme levels indicated that my liver was unable to tolerate it. An ultrasound examination revealed that my liver was somewhat fatty, which became the key insight. I was prescribed Probenecid to enhance excretion of uric acid, but more importantly, I learned about NAFLD (I neither drink nor smoke), watched the compelling lecture at youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&t=56m35s, and all but eliminated fructose from my diet. Within three months, my serum uric acid levels plummeted from 8.3 to 4.4 MG/DL, my triglycerides from 302 to 41 MG/DL, and my weight from 175 to 145 lbs. I have maintained those levels for six months and feel great, except...

I recently noticed a small bulge on the right side of my lower abdomen that my GP diagnosed as an inguinal hernia. During my subsequent consultation with a surgeon, I mentioned the bilateral open repair I endured more than forty years ago as a toddler and expressed concern about the integrity of the other side. It was suggested that a laparoscopic mesh repair of the right side that is currently presenting would allow for inspection of the left side and its repair if necessary. I began researching the procedure, was discouraged by the complexity and potential complications, read that "watchful waiting" is commonly recommended to minimally symptomatic patients because incarceration and strangulation are rare while surgery involves a significant risk of inguinodynia / herniorraphy [chronic] pain syndrome, and tried to convince myself that wearing this truss (amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNNJNQ8) and limiting activity for the rest of my life was the best option. My position reversed after reviewing the summary of a relatively long-term randomized trial of 720 men (mdedge.com/familypracticenews/article/58445/mens-health/watchful-waiting-doesnt-pay-asymptomatic-inguinal) sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (ahrq.gov) that found "Watchful waiting doesn't pay for asymptomatic inguinal hernias" in active patients.

This thread has been enormously helpful, and I am so grateful to all who have contributed. I appreciate and endorse the healthy skepticism expressed by some here, which promotes a balanced, objective discussion. Learn all you can to make the most informed decisions possible, and please continue to post updates, good or bad, with details (open vs. lap, one side or both, mesh or other, etc.). My lap mesh surgery is scheduled for March (after plowing snow and before cutting grass), and thanks to this thread, I have a much better understanding of how to prepare and recover. I remain intimidated but am encouraged that this surgery is the best option for me. Again, thank you!

7 weeks after surgery now and at 100%. Twinges and swelling are gone too.

Looking back I feel foolish that I waited so long to have the surgery (about 8 months after my initial diagnosis). The whole process was 2-3 days of severe discomfort, followed by 2-3 weeks of taking it easy. Not a big deal in the long run. Would have been much better to get it over with than worry about the bulge for 8 months.

Yes, read up on the risks. Any medical procedure has them. But this is something you should get done unless you're elderly and wouldn't respond well to surgery.

smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    Holy sh!t #neverquit and #strongdad! Those are crazy fast recoveries. My recovery was nothing like yours. I could barely walk for 3-5 days, had pain for weeks after. I'm about 10 weeks post-op for bilateral inguinals done laparo and am just now starting to feel normal. Didn't dare lift anything till 6 weeks after.
    And I'll clarify that my surgeon has an incredible reputation for being the best internal around. And I have a very high tolerance for pain; this is my 3rd surgery in 2 years so I've been through it before (shoulder and tricep re-attachment).
    I asked my surgeon about it and he said everyone seems to take the recovery different and he sees this once in a while with not too much rhyme or reason to it.
    Amazing to hear your stories of lifting a week after.
    Take care
    10 MONTH UPDATE: Thought I'd throw in an update. I had bilaterals patched with mesh laparoscopically on 3-7-16. I had a rough recovery and it was rough for about 10 weeks. At around 12 weeks, though, things turned much better very quickly for me. Started lifting heavy again (heavier), doing abs etc...basically felt pretty normal. At 5 months I started a heavy bulk that I just ended. I lost a lot during my down time and went down to 148. I bulked to 180 and just now started my cut. Basically I felt 100% ready to rock at 5 months; no holds barred and things have been fine since. Sure, I have a twinge in the area now and then but I did before the surgery too. I'm 47 and expect a few twinges here and there. I'll go on record and say I'm glad I had the surgery done and happy with the whole procedure overall.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card

linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by linksjack View Post
    It's been 18 days since my surgery (open with mesh and fibrin glue, see above).
    It's been 9 weeks since my surgery, here's another update.

Unfortunately I caught the flu at week 7, which I didn't think too much about in relation to my surgery. Although I was sneezing and coughing a lot, I had no problems. Up until the last day that is, when I was sitting at my desk and coughing lightly. At that moment I felt a sharp pain, which was then present with each subsequent cough. F***. It was the exact same pain I had right after the surgery when laughing.

A doctor's visit didn't reveal any problems. She said I might have irritated the lower layers of tissue.

For 1 week I felt dull pain in the area, which subsided slowly over a couple of days. I'm at week 9 now and pretty much pain free (again). Since I was VERY careful the first few weeks and still had problems, I was getting a little impatient and finally started lifting again at the beginning of the week. Not too heavy but enough to get things going again. Not sure what to expect from here on out. I can live with small pain issues, but would be really pissed if there was a recurrence.

Hopefully it was just an irritation....
    Last edited by linksjack; 01-12-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Foodwasher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How do you guys train after the surgery?
    I used to do the Valsalva maneuver when doing deadlifts.
    I am not sure if i can continue with that or what i should do.

Basmiesternj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    60-year old male, had all three hernias done at the same time laparoscopically with mesh (belly button, indirect left, direct right). My surgeon and the whole team were top notch. I had zero complications or side effects after surgery. My wounds healed quickly, no swelling at all.

Surgery was on a Tuesday, home that day, hard getting in and out of bed but was up and down stairs no problem. By Saturday I was off pain meds and in my car and out shopping for a TV.

Cleared to use treadmill lightly after my 2-week follow up. Didn't touch weights until week four and then only tiny dumb bells as I eased my way in at the gym. At week 8 I am feeling much better than week 6, so progress is happening. Hopefully in another month or two I'll be back on my normal routine.

I highly recommend getting it fixed ASAP, I waited almost 2 years, which in hind sight was dumb.
    Last edited by Basmiesternj; 01-25-2017 at 06:44 PM.

intpaustin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

70 year old masters laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair recovery

This is my primer on how to successfully and painlessly have hernia surgery.

I am a 70 year old masters athlete. I recently had a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair.This is my experience, and the reasons for these results after my story. My surgery was in Cebu Philippines.

My surgery was the first surgery Monday morning at 8am. I was walking in the afternoon up and down stairs with no pain. yes, i asked the doc if that would be ok. after 2 weeks i started the 6 week Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas protocol. more on that later.

My surgeons advise was after 2 weeks all exercise and yoga ok. 1 month ok anything except abbs, after 6 weeks abs and 16 hour fasting like i do daily are ok.

Now for the reasons for my pain free quick recovery. my surgeon was the best in the country. how did i know that? doctors from all over the Philippines would come to him when they needed laparoscopic surgery.

i also took the proper supplements before and after surgery. list herein below. i trained HIIT training 3 times a week and took 112c dry sauna 6 days a week. so my body was ready for the stress of surgery and handled it with ease.

google those for the benefits...a must when you get old...no other type of protocol will work to delay aging.

Reasons for results

parenthetically. my surgeon let me sit on the operating table, listen to his music, and meditate for 20 minutes before he started….take it as you will

My surgery was the first one on the first day of the week. surgeons get tired just like anyone else. i told my surgeon my request this and he laughed and said "so you are smart".!

The supplements-you can google these to find out what they do. they all have peer review studies on their health benefits.

my surgeon let me take all these pre and post surgery

tumeric and curcumin with pepper and extra virgin oil.

quercitin

solgar brand v75 with iron. best brand period. 2 times a day.

l arginine

fish oil

special eggs we can get here. selenium enriched

magnesium and zinc.

vitamin c should be here but is covered by the solgar, you do not need more than that because not absorbed

Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas protocol

The athletes are advised to enter into a “2-week, 2-week, 2-week” recovery program. The first 2-week period involves moderate cardiovascular conditioning for at least 30 minutes each day. At first, the activity may be walking. If patients have access to an elliptical machine, treadmill, or recumbent bicycle, these are excellent means to achieve the same goal. By the second 2-week period, most of the postoperative pain has resolved. During that period, patients are asked to continue their cardiovascular program and to increase the duration and resistance if possible. They are also asked to begin mild to moderate strength conditioning, depending on their sport or preferred method of training. Finally, during the last 2-week period, the athletes are asked to continue to increase the cardiovascular training and the strength conditioning and to begin some sport-specific activity. This is frequently running, jogging, or light sprinting. Their goal by the end of the 6 weeks is to be able to begin running, cutting, and opening up in some way appropriate to their sport.

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    10 MONTH UPDATE:
    Thanks for the medium-term update. I'm still seeing a bunch of 2 week and 2 month updates, but essentially nothing over a year. It's understandable that people are excited about making it through the surgery, but I think that the whole traumatic process causes people's long-term memory to fade.

Up until just recently I felt that I had been better off living with my direct hernia than now, after the bilateral mesh repair. Comfort level and overall function were just higher before, with the hernia, when I really took a hard objective look back at the way I used to feel and perform compared to the way I feel now. The key word is "objective". It's hard to be objective when you think that you might have made a huge mistake. The tendency is to convince yourself that you're "okay" when really, you know that you're not.

Recently though, now two full years after the surgery, I feel like there's a chance I'll get back to feeling comfortable and spontaneous. In other words, I won't be planning every activity around how my lower abdomen will feel. The body keeps trying t adapt to the mesh, which is good. But, apparently, it takes a lot longer than two months. And that's one area where I think that the surgery industry is being short-sighted. They're saving money on post-surgery physical therapy and advice, and letting their patients fend for themselves. I won't be surprised if more class-action suits come up over the coming years, due to their short-term savings. The really sad part is that the opportunity to collect information and learn and improve will be gone. The surgeons aren't being proactive and I think that the industry will end up paying for it, along with their patients.

Still waiting for those guys who had the surgery one plus years ago to report back. It would be good to see results from people who are more active than just weight-lifting. Running and biking are where I have the most problem. The internal rubbing from the plate-like mesh prosthetic causes irritation and swelling. Maybe that's where the distinction should be. If you don't run or bike or play soccer or basketball, maybe you'll be fine. Ask your surgeon if they have any patients at all who got back to their old habits, if you're one of those types of athletes. I still plan to try to get back to some level of running or biking but I don't really have high hopes, based on past experience. Hope versus reality.

Just another counter-point. Good luck to all.

Lazdaddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Surprised u havnt been lifting heavier into week 6. In on week 6 of recovery and my doc told me I would lift light after 2 week. I listened to my body starting off light and increased untill I felt slight pressure in the abs. Then I knew my limits and wouldn't lift heavier. I still was benching 155-185 and doing 80 lb dumbbell shrugs with little pain. After my workouts tho my abs were extremely painful and I thought I got a recurrent hernia. Think it was just muscle soreness from working out.

Similar to me. I had bilateral lap mesh repair and am on week 6. My doc said I could lift 2 weeks post op. I started lifting that day 2 weeks post op and lifted not as much as I was before the operation but still was lifting decent weight (60 lb db incline presses, 175 bench, 70 lb db rows, even 80 lb db shrugs). I saw the doctor 3 week post op after I worked out for a week and he said everything looked good. So I continued to lift and increase weight as I listened to any warning signs from my body. I never felt much pain as I have only been doing upper body, back, and arms. I waited 4 weeks to even think about doing ab work outs and when I did, I first did the ab crunch machine at 70 lbs and did 15 red. I went to 80 lbs and on about on the 7th rep I felt a tear where the bigger hernia on the left side was. I lowered the weight and continued to lift and do lighter ab crunches on the machine (50/60 lbs). I never felt more pain doing the crunch win lighter weight, but feel significant paint now. It's the start of week 6 and I feel more pain then after week 2. I hope it's just sore from lifting and I didn't get a recurrent hernia. I really should have lifted lighter even thought my body felt I could lift more due to being stronger.

Similar to me. I had bilateral lap mesh repair and am on week 6. My doc said I could lift 2 weeks post op. I started lifting that day 2 weeks post op and lifted not as much as I was before the operation but still was lifting decent weight (60 lb db incline presses, 175 bench, 70 lb db rows, even 80 lb db shrugs). I saw the doctor 3 week post op after I worked out for a week and he said everything looked good. So I continued to lift and increase weight as I listened to any warning signs from my body. I never felt much pain as I have only been doing upper body, back, and arms. I waited 4 weeks to even think about doing ab work outs and when I did, I first did the ab crunch machine at 70 lbs and did 15 red. I went to 80 lbs and on about on the 7th rep I felt a tear where the bigger hernia on the left side was. I lowered the weight and continued to lift and do lighter ab crunches on the machine (50/60 lbs). I never felt more pain doing the crunch win lighter weight, but feel significant paint now. It's the start of week 6 and I feel more pain then after week 2. I hope it's just sore from lifting and I didn't get a recurrent hernia. I really should have lifted lighter even thought my body felt I could lift more due to Me being stronger

What kind of excercises were u doing and how much weight 3 weeks after surgery and on?

Registered User Neamhshuntasach's Avatar
    Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a 33 year old male and been in the best shape of my life for the past while after finally figuring out what my body best responds to and nailing my diet. So was depressing to find out I had an inguinal hernia after initially thinking it was perhaps a tight groin or pending groin strain which i was dealing with for a few months. After a week of squatting everyday I noticed a bulge which was reducible and about the size of a large grape. Never had any pain and was more so an unusual discomfort. So i continued to hit the gym right up to the surgery but just eliminated the deadlifts and rows and scaled back the squats. Was mainly doing weighted pull ups and overhead presses. Also sticking to machines or floor DB chest presses. I found none of these aggravated the hernia much. Strict form tricep work and bicep work was also fine. Ab/core work seemed to be ok too. But I figured the less muscle on my stomach the less things to cut through for the surgery if it would be laparoscopic.

Anyways surgeon diagnosed a left indirect inguinal hernia and opted to do open surgery with mesh. No idea of the type of mesh. I had this surgery on Monday which was 4 full days ago. I only registered here but have found a lot of helpful information in this thread which is why i came back to share my experience so far for anyone interested. I got to be honest reading some of the things here had me quite scared of the surgery and kind of added to the fear of a long road to recovery.

Day 1 (Monday)

Everything happened fairly quick from diagnosis with consultant to surgery thanks to private health insurance through my job. Was into the hospital for 12:15PM and i was on the operating table by 2PM. All nurses and everyone i dealt with were great and explained everything. I went out quickly and woke up about 4PM slightly confused. A nurse came to me as soon as i woke up and i was a bit confused and my first question was asking if it was finished. Which i realized half way through that it obviously was as i'm in a different room. Was observed there for about 20 mins and then brought into the recovery room and given a light meal and fluids.

I genuinely felt ok with no pain. More so a discomfort if i moved the wrong way. I felt very alert and no drowsiness. The left side of me felt numb however so i figured maybe the pain is being kept at bay by that. 30 mins later i had the surgeon in chatting with me and told me everything went well. I had blood pressure taken and told i could not be released until i urinated. Which i done quite shortly with no pain at all. I was also able to walk to the bathroom unassisted with no problems. I was being collected and got changed into loose clothing i brought with me. So i was ready to go. But just before i was about to leave i got this wave of nausea over me. I began sweating from my forehead and wife said i turned white. I had to sit back down for maybe 2 or 3 minutes. After that it passed and i was fine and on my way home.

I had a prescription for antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, 2 sets of pain killers (tramadol & solpadol) and a stool softener/laxative. Got this on way home but didn't bother with laxative. When home i didn't feel tired at all. I was up till about 1AM watching tv. I must have ate about 3 meals as i was starving. And i probably drank about 2 liters of water. The downside to that was going the bathroom a lot. Which still posed no problems. I only took my first pain killer before going to bed to try help me sleep just in case. Was a bit difficult getting into bed but not much pain. Just awkward trying to manoeuver myself. I slept fine and only awoke once to go the toilet about 4:30AM. When i got downstairs i felt nauseous again, no sweats this time but my breathing was heavy. Passed quicker than first experience.

Day 2 (Tuesday)

Woke up quite early and still didn't feel any pain. Bit of a struggle getting out of pain while trying to avoid bending my stomach. My bed is quite high which didn't help. Was able to dress myself no problem and walked down the stairs without much difficulty. When i got downstairs i felt slightly nauseous again. But passed quickly. I had an appetite all day and still didn't feel the need to take any pain killers. Left side was still feeling numb. I was moving about ok and sitting down and up was move so slight discomfort rather than painful. Again drinking loads of water and taking vitamins & cod liver oil. Also pretty much sticking to my regular diet. Lots of protein, carbs and healthy fats.

Later that night the numbness eased a bit and i felt my first stabbing kind of pain which was when the wound site was stretched. But was not constant pain. Was only experienced if i got up the wrong way. I also managed to take my first dump without much problems that night. Didn't force anything. Just let nature take its course. Was up late enough again and took 1 tramadol before bed since i had slept fine the night before after taking one. I awoke once about 6 for the bathroom and felt a bit stiff getting out of the bed. Getting back in is the challenge as it's hard not to engage the abs. Other than that slept no problem again. I was sleeping on my back which i found was the only comfortable way.

Day 3 (Wednesday)

Got up out of the bed a lot easier today, Not sure if it's me learning the technique better with me bypassing my abs and using my arms and letting my legs take all the pressure once they hit the floor. This is basically what i'm doing when sitting up and down. I use my hands to lift me up and then transfer weight to my legs and don't engage my abs at all. So no pain getting up and down. Appetite still there and still drinking loads of water. Still no pain pills other than 1 before bed. Been taking the anti-inflammatory and antibiotic however.

Later that night i had my first shower post-op. Showering was no problem. Washed with dressing on but didn't directly wash with soap. Used a different towel to pat the wound dry after removing dressing after the shower. Noticed the staples in which i need to get out next Thursday. Looks horrible. Put on new dressing and all good. Felt a bit more loose and fresh after the shower. Didn't bother with pain killer tonight and slept just as good. Still on my back.

Day 4 (Thursday)

Much easier to get out of bed today. Even slightly using ab muscles wasn't too bad. Walking a lot more easier now. Almost with zero discomfort. Pain similar to stretching any wound still experienced if i move or twist the wrong way. But it's a sharp pain and goes as soon as i straighten out. Not unbearable at all. Appetite still fine as is going to the bathroom pretty much as regular as i would pre surgery. No pain or discomfort at all. However today i noticed some seroma, which is the pooling of fluid near the operation site. In my case it's on the balls and bottom of shaft. No swelling or pain and no problems urinating. Haven't had sex yet but been getting frequent erections. Almost like a pre-pubescent boy again. no jerking off either. So can't say what ejaculating is like.

Day 5 (Friday)

Recovering well still and i pretty much need to move myself into a position to feel the pain or discomfort. Getting up and down and even bending at the waist is ok now. Seroma slightly darker now and slightly spread further. Was told by surgeon this is quite normal and should go itself.

So that's up to where i am now. I feel like i'm recovering quite well and i hope it continues. It was quite depressing to read about everything before the surgery and how it affects weightlifting. Almost to a point i was considering just living with it after reading some of the replies here and elsewhere. I know there are literally millions of these procedures done every year and people only usually post online when there are problems. So maybe there is a misrepresentation of overall experiences. Granted it's still very early days for me. But my week of recovery so far seems to have gone a lot better than a lot of experiences i've read online so far. Actually the most painful part of the week was removing the dressing when showering as it was caught in some shaved pubic hairs. Everything else has been more so a manageable discomfort.

Hoping to maybe get to the gym at the end of next week to do some light cycling on the bike. Then gradually add some bodyweight stuff. I won't touch a weight until 4 weeks out and at that will be very light. Even if i continue on with how things have gone so far. I won't be rushing anything. All in all i don't know why i feared the surgery. But as mentioned earlier, it's still very early in my recovery. Hopefully i avoid some of the problems others have unfortunately experienced.

Tips for recovery or making life easier (IMO)

Prepare something that you can easily heat up in advance of your surgery. I cooked both a chicken and rice dish with about 6 portions as well as a chicken pasta bake with a few portions the day before the surgery. I put loads of veg in both to help with the fiber. I bought lots of fruit such as pears, bananas, figs, berries etc. Fruit that's high in fiber. I also left out everything i use for breakfast and other meals on the counter so they would be easy to reach. Fill up loads of bottles of water and make sure you regularly drink them. I filled back up as soon I drank one. Also get some vitamins in and try stick to your diet. Don't worry about putting on weight or losing muscle. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. You'll need the nutrition for recovery.

If you don't need the pain killers, don't use them. Use the pain as your guide for limitations. In my opinion, if you can't feel the pain you might be moving in ways that won't help your recovery. But if you can feel that pain you will avoid it.

Download or sort out some movies and tv shows. And if you play console games, have a few that you can play as you'll be bored if just sitting around.

Try not to engage your abs when sitting down and getting up. Also when getting in and out of the bed. Try use your arms to support the weight and then transfer to your legs and use them. Doing that pretty much allowed me to move about with feeling any pain.

For the surgery, bring pajamas and slippers with you. Don't bother with underwear. The pajamas will be comfortable and the slippers easy to get on.

Also don't take a laxative if not needed. Especially if not taking pain killers. The anesthesia can back you up. But if you are drinking water lots and eating food high in fiber you should be ok. Maybe a stool softener is ok as they don't force you to go. Just adds moisture to it while inside you.

KungFuFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Neamhshuntasach View Post
    I'm a 33 year old male and been in the best shape of my life for the past while after finally figuring out what my body best responds to and nailing my.....
    Good to hear such a detailed outline of your recovery so far, sounds like you had a very similar experience to mine (a few pages back), right (I believe indirect) and repaired with open/mesh. I was 31, but more of martial artist than a weights guy.

I thought I'd just add, I did a lot of walking during my first couple of weeks of recovery (although on day 2 it was an incredibly slow old man shuffle of a good few hundred meters) to help blood flow/circulation at, which was advice from my surgeon. I was never in any pain though (and didn't seem to need pain killers) so mileage may vary.

I'm 10 months in and happily back to all my martial arts activities (sparring, jumping/spinning kicks, ground work, flips, etc.) my intention was to post a more detailed followup at the year mark.

Good luck with recoveries everyone.

wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wixmix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chewy,

After reading your hernia post, I am guessing you saw Dr Muschaweck? A quick bio of myself. I am a Sports Kinesioligist and work similarly to how Physical Therapists do in the injury rehab and prevention feild, with a few other tools in the box.

I too had bilateral repair from Dr. M in December of 2014, no mesh and had the Muscheweck repair, I also had my genitofemoral nerve resected. My recovery was less than optimal, and given my background I know all the things necesary for a good recovery. I flew over to Germany from the US because she is one of the best there is. I have since then referred many to her from my own practice who have had good recoveries. The mesh free approach can be the best long term, but takes longer in the recovery than mesh. Her technique is almost indestructible compared to how mesh can be an issue in the canal for various reaons.

My recovery in short. Normal healing for a few months, but then lots of tightness and an inability to stand completely upright forget bending backwards. For at least 18months. The tightness would cause pain in the canal, not sure if it's the same you are referring to, but descriptions can be subjective at times one year post op to the week, I strained too hard on a muscle test at work and felt as if I opened the surgery, it took me a few months to recover, the surgery site was not affected but due to the tissues being so tight the surrounding muscle was severely strained and eventually healed. There are pros and cons with mesh free vs mesh. Mesh has its own complications as many people already know. However, if the hernia is too large, the mesh free technique will shorten the fascia tremendously from the surgery, like a tight tshirt on the front. This can cause its own set of problems if not addressed probperly.

I struggled through work daily, lifting people on my table and muscle testing etc. Still, I am not 100% but very close, much better than before the surgery, I spent a year and 15 Dr. Not one in the US were able to diagnose me, shameful....Dr. M literally saved my life as I wa in incredible pain daily which caused deep depression.

There were many modalities of treatment I have tried since my surgery to help with a full recovery. There is one technique which helped me get my full range back. I had seen a local practitioner who practices MFR(Myofacial Release) who had specifically been trained by John Barnes. It's not cheap, but I have been going once per week for 4 months, so far we have made great improvements. I had heavy scarring which takes time to remodel on the cellular level more smoothly. It will require you to be very persistent but eventually you will see improvement. The pain you are experiencing is more than likely excessive tension on the repair it will heal if the tension decreases, the only way to do that now is to treat the fascia which has been artificially shortened do to the repair. I will reiterate that the fascia will remodel and lengthen but extremely slowly, and takes persistnance.
    "Pain is not the weakness leaving the body"

Biomechanical Consultant, Muscle Activation Master Specialist (MAT), Resistance Training Specialist (RTS), Sports Kinesiologist, Sports Nutrition Specialist www.matcharlotte.com

Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Neamhshuntasach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll throw in an update at the week mark for a few weeks. Might help with a timeline for anyone else recovering with similarities to me.

So it was pretty much this exact time last week i came around post surgery. And today is the best I have felt since the procedure. Almost little to know pain no matter how i move. And any discomfort is very minimal and even that is only when doing certain things.

My last update stopped on Friday around noon. Won't do day to day but just how things were over the weekend.

The rest of Friday was fine. No pain unless i rotated or really put a strain on the wound site. Discomfort eased up a bit. Getting into bed was easier and i slept good again. Walking a lot more closer to pre surgery too. Also had a shower and everything was a lot more fluid than last time. Drying and getting dressed felt a lot more easy and didn't have to maneuver much. Up early on the Saturday again. Even easier to get out of bed and walked down the stairs almost like i never had any surgery. Haven't been feeling any pain unless i really strain for it. My wife had been cooking all the week outside of the stuff i had prepared. Today was the first day i was here by myself without anything prepared food wise. Was able to move about and stretch and bend for things with just a slight discomfort. Very bearable and if there was no surgery you'd probably just think you slept funny or something. It was that mild. Grant if i still rotate fully or move the wrong way it can be sore. Pain or discomfort is not completely gone. But for general day to day activities such as walking, sitting down and getting up, getting dressed, showering, cooking, etc. It has been fine. I showered again on Saturday night and was even easier than the night before. Also took a walk outside for about 20 minutes around the block. Was nice to be out and felt ok. The ground obviously felt a little more firm and could feel a moderate discomfort in the area where the hernia was. That slight pulling sensation.

I'll separate Sunday a bit to break up big paragraphs. Also it was a bit of a breakthrough day in terms of doing something other than hanging around the house. Another good sleep. Up out of bed almost forgetting i was taking it easy. No restrictions to it really. Could bend and sit up and put socks on while sitting as normal. Didn't have to move a certain way to do it. Showered again and no problems at all. Went for a short walk to a local store. Carried about 10 lbls of items and no pain. Later that day i went to watch a gaelic football game (sport in Ireland). I had to drive over an hour to the place, in a manual transmission car, which involves up and down on the clutch with the left foot. Which is the side i had the hernia. No problems at all with the clutching, emergency stops, braking or accelerating. I tested all these without the car on before driving to make sure. And tested going around the neighborhood for a while before setting off on the hour long journey. Getting into the car and out of it where the only things that caused a sharp pain at incision site. That's just down to stretching the wound with the angle needed to get in and out. So to be expected. The drive was fine with no discomfort at all. I then stood for about 90 mins after a short walk to the stadium. No discomfort or pain from the standing. And the trip home was the exact same. I even stayed up late to watch the superbowl and had 2 beers. No problems at all after the most active day so since the surgery. I'm still talking the antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. Just the 3 of each a day and i will finish their course today. No pain killers since last week. So after tonight that will be it from the meds unless something unexpected happens and i need more. But so far so good. And that brings up to Monday afternoon. I'm back in work today but going to work from home for a few weeks. Perk of being an IT consultant where i can work from my laptop anywhere. No discomfort sitting at the desk or nothing. All good. Drove again today for a bit and was easier getting in and out. The sharp pain from yesterday eased up. And i walked to the store again with no problems. I've also done 10 sets of 30 second planks, same for hollow body holds and some supermans today. That was about 2 hours ago and no pain during or after so far. I hope to add to press ups and bodyweight squats later this week if i feel up to it.

Overall i'm delighted where i'm at after a week since the surgery. I really feared the worst having read diaries and accounts of people over their first week. To reiterate, i know i am very early into recovery and i know the past week does not mean i'm home free. But i'm taking it as a big positive. Everyday i've got the little bit better. How much the pain or discomfort diminishes each day is very small. But it is noticeable. I never really had pain so i didn't provide any pain ratings from day to day. But i'd say from when i did experience it due to moving the wrong way. The worst was about a 6/7. I've been in way worse pain with back injuries before. I do consider myself to have a high pain threshold though so take that on board when evaluating what i've said so far. But i tried to be reasonable with my assessment. I'll update next Monday. Hopefully with a lot more progress and still heading in the right direction.

EDIT

Just to add something. I mentioned seroma in my previous post. But i could be wrong diagnosing that after reading more about it. But I was told by the surgeon that blood/fluid could occupy where the hernia was and that was normal. And should go by itself in most situations. It's still bruised down there. Both balls and penis. But it looks like it may have reached it's peak yesterday. Today i can see some of my normal skin tone appear in spots. So hopefully this starts disappearing.
    Last edited by Neamhshuntasach; 02-06-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Left something out

Nearly 3 months after the surgery. Recovery is excellent overall. Doing everything I did before I got the hernia, and anything I want really.

But there are some reminders that the surgery happened. My right hamstring/groin (where I had the surgery) seems to be permanently tight now. Also, after vigorous workout or tight jeans, my groin area can hurt a bit.

linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's been 9 weeks since my surgery, here's another update.
    13 weeks since my surgery.

The problems I mentioned with my last update are gone. No more stabbing pain when coughing. Fortunately, that went away rather quickly.

Training is going well too. I'm now lifting heavy weights with no problems.

The only abnormality are (weak) twitches when crouching very low.

So overall: Not 100% pain free at this point, but almost there. Very small advancements are still happening. I waiting very long, because I had a few concerns, but it worked out nicely. Shouldn't have waited that long. Open surgery with mesh and fibrin glue was the right decision for me.

2 weeks since my open surgery mesh repair for a left inguinal hernia. After a week I was moving about without much pain or discomfort. And the following week i was gradually getting back to how I was pre-hernia day by day. Each day i felt like i could do more which is positive for the mental side of things. Before the surgery i felt i would be really cautious in doing things and pushing myself. But given i virtually had no constant pain none of that set in.

10 days after the op i had my staples taken out at my local GP. Dressing taken off and it was white as snow. Scar healing nicely and no infections of any kind. The staples very easily except for the bottom 2. They were in quite deep and required a bit of maneuvering by the doc to wiggle them out. That was quite painful as it felt like someone sticking a knife in and twisting it. A new dressing was put on as the bottom 2 clips caused a bit of blood. If they came out easy she was leaving it open to the air. But i took the dressing off 2 days later and all was good. The evening after getting dressing off i could feel less pressure down there. As the skin was folded over i could feel the tightness from it. So was a relief to get the staples out. I felt more free and the slight bit of pain at the wound site when bending disappeared. I had told the doctor about it and after taking out the staples she reckon they may have been the cause of it. Since the staples came out i've been very positive in trying things without fear of aggravating something. I've tried BW squats, lunges, press ups, diamond press ups, dips on a chair, planks, supermans and some core work. No crunches yet but i can tense my stomach as hard as i can without any pain or discomfort. No pain during or after them.

Even though everything is gradual. Today is the best i've felt since the op. I had penciled in the 2 week mark to try go for a run. And i was able to run for about 20 minutes without any reminder that i recently had surgery. I had also done a lot of walking and standing for over 3.5 hours watching 2 back to back games on Saturday night. No real pain but it was the first time wearing jeans since the op. And the button and the belt were rubbing against the scar as i was walking. Other than that everything was grand.

As for the bruising down below. Almost back to normal. I had started to bruise at the base, part closest to the body. And then spread upwards over the course of 2 days. So the clearing has been happening gradually in the same pattern. Just a little purple band now at the top. He looks like that ninja turtle Donatello.

Anyways, everything still going well. Going to go the gym tomorrow and use the bike and elliptical. Still no weights although at the weekend i want to try pull ups and see how they go.

13 weeks since my surgery.

The problems I mentioned with my last update are gone. No more stabbing pain when coughing. Fortunately, that went away rather quickly.

Training is going well too. I'm now lifting heavy weights with no problems.

The only abnormality are (weak) twitches when crouching very low.

So overall: Not 100% pain free at this point, but almost there. Very small advancements are still happening. I waiting very long, because I had a few concerns, but it worked out nicely. Shouldn't have waited that long. Open surgery with mesh and fibrin glue was the right decision for me.
    Hope it continues for you. Come back in a year, or two or three, and tell how you feel then. Can't emphasize enough that the process is not done at 2 and 3 months. These short-term reports are interesting but not worth as much as long-term. If you're in your 30's, there's probably 50 years to go.

Into my 3rd week of left inguinal open hernia with mesh repair. Still all going well. All bruising down below is gone completely. And the scar sensitivity is all gone now. Touching the area is fine and any friction against it causes no discomfort.

Have been to the gym where i've done stretching, and 30 mins carido split between bike, cross trainer and a jog. Also done some core work and push ups and BW squats. Still no weights although i was able to do 5 x 5 dead hang pull ups without any problems.

Felt ok after the gym sessions. No pain set in and no muscle soreness. However today when i stretch my left side i can feel this tightness. When i touch the area it feels like how a bruised area would feel tender after banging it. It kind of feels like it's in my obliques. Could be something not related to the surgery at all.

Outside of that no problems at all and i'll start back on light weights on Monday which will be the 4 week mark. Will also head back to the office which will feel like i'm kind of over the surgery psychologically.

I've talked to a few older people who would be in their 50's/60's and had open surgery with mesh repair done over 10 years ago. One was 22 years ago. And neither of them have any effects of it now. So it's good to hear people so long post surgery not being affected one bit. Hopefully i fall into their category.

ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Has anyone had to get it repaired 10 years later? 20 years later? 30 years later? Just wondering about the maintenance of the mesh and surgery. I assume the fix doesn't last forever?

Originally Posted by ShoulderBrah View Post
    Has anyone had to get it repaired 10 years later? 20 years later? 30 years later? Just wondering about the maintenance of the mesh and surgery. I assume the fix doesn't last forever?
    I got a question regarding lifting 4 weeks post op of laporscopic mesh inguinal hernia repair. I'm wondering what exercises you were doing and with how much weight?

4 week mark today after left inguinal open hernia with mesh repair. And still feeling good.

The past week i got up to the gym a few times for some cardio and core work. The slight feeling like being bruised i had on my left side, near oblique area went quickly. I think sometimes after the likes of surgery, you can start to attribute every slight twinge and pain to it. But i know prior to the surgery, i'd always pick up little strains or stupid injuries that i'd just work through. So perhaps the pain i had in my side was totally unrelated and happened only because it was the first time i exerted myself that much in a few weeks.

Today was the first day back in the office and the first day in the gym. And i was also greeted with the good news that a new really nice free gym just opened in my job. Won't replace my gym but handy to have there none the less. Anyways i'm going to spend this week and next just introducing the exercises back in. Today i done 5 sets of barbell press and 5 sets of pull ups superset. Seated one arm DB press. Reverse DB flyes, DB lat raises and some sets of tricep pushdowns and curls. Followed by some core work.

I worked up to 50% of pre surgery weight on the press and could have gone higher. But i kept things sensible since recovery has been good so far. Also kept weight about 50% for the other movements. No pain during or after. And still no pain hours later. I felt slightly more tired than usual when lifting. But i assume that's just to do with the few weeks lay off. Everything still going good.

Paul1953 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks for the post

Originally Posted by Loewen.Steven View Post
    I had a dull ache in my apple sack around thanksgiving last year (2013). So I went to the Urologist. I thought that it may have been an std. I was kind of shocked and depressed at the same time when he told me I had a hernia. Anyway, I kept lifting for a week or two after my diagnosis and noticed a bulge above my fun stick. So I started researching this surgery. I ended up getting mine done by Dr Tomas at Ufirst Health in Fort Myers Florida. He uses the no mesh Desarda technique. I have always been in great health and never had a surgery before. So I was nervous! They did my surgery Tuesday 1/28/14, and imediatley had me up out of bed walking post operation. I literally woke up, they wheeled me into the recovery room, sat up drank some water, ate some crackers, took some liquid percocet, and got out of bed and walked over to a chair. They let me go back to the hotel about 45 minutes or an hour later. I was not able to drive. Had someone with me to help get me back to my room. After my surgery I was sore but not unbareable. Next day (wed) was pretty rough. I could not get out of bed on my own. It got a little better Thursday. Also went back to dr for post examination Thursday. He was very pleased that there wasn't any bruising. I have kept ice on it since the surgery. Friday I rode in a van back home to Daphne, AL from Fort Myers (11 hours). Today is Saturday. I had a rough time trying to get up out of bed on my own without help last night. Thought that I may have broke some of the stitches b/c it started really burning. I called the nurse and was told that the muscle was stretching against the stitches. I am still on my pain meds (percocet 10s, phenegrin, and advil). But I am able to get up and move around ok on my own today with ice. Still walking kind of slow though. I took Colase for bowel movements, and made sure to eat clean. This is VERY important! You don't wanna be constipated with this...bad idea! I have also been taking my multivitamin (Optimen), animal flex, and BCAA (scivation extend). I wanted the desarda b/c I was adament to not put anything foreign in my body. I wish that there were others that have had this same repair to tell me their results. My 1 RM deadlift was 375. Not sure what squat was. I was doing 4 x 5 @305. I think the worst thing for me right now is mental. I am SO pissed off and ready to be back in the gym lifting like normal. Dr said 8 weeks of rest. Can't lift anything heavier than one gallon of milk. He did say I could start running or do eliptical after week 3. After week 8 start at 35-40 lbs with everything and slowly work my way up. After 3 months might be able to lift heavier weight, and after 6 months maybe really heavy again, but he said only with a weight belt. I will leave more feedback in the next few weeks. Also, I have pics of my 2.5 inch incision on my body space page. Please feel free to ask me anything I forgot to mention here. You can send me a msg to my inbox. I can't wait to be one of those motivational transformations of the week. B/c as soon as I'm cleared, I'm on a mission!
    Thanks for the info Steven. I need a hernia fix and am considering Dr. Tomas to avoid mesh. How's your repair doing after three years now, any problems?

Thanks, Paul

Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Germh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Let me just start off by saying, the recovering time for this surgery is not a long period of time. You guys who think this is a big deal have no idea. I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery to repair a SLAP tear, so trust me this is nothing. 6 weeks in a sling, 6 months of recovery(PT) and it's very painful. I'm about 7-8 months post op, and I still have pain and discomfort, but I'm back to lifting.

With that out of the way, I have a small hernia in my crotch. With all the research I've done I can say I'm not going to get the mesh. There's a 20-30% chance you will end up with chronic pain for the rest of your life. Once the mesh is installed it's near impossible to remove because your tissue starts to grow into it, so you're stuck with it. Also in danger of nerve entrapment in the mesh, and all sorts of not so nice things involved with mesh. Were as the reoccurence rate is only 2-3%, yeah I'll take my chances with just stitching it up... I feel sorry for all you guys who are having issues now, and I'm glad I've done the research into the surgery.

The only problem now is finding a surgeon who will do it, as the mesh has become the standard. Also forgot to mention, I've had this hernia for 8 years... I went in eight years ago to get checked out. originally complaining of testicle pain, and when they couldn't find anything wrong with my testicle, I just lived with it. I finally got re checked recently, and found out it's a hernia. Mine is inward, so there's no bulge, and there's only fat in mine. So I'm not really at any risk, only risk is making it bigger. But if that hasn't happened in the last eight years, I'm probably safe. Just have to deal with the pain, which comes and goes.

To the guy who had the conventional surgery and re tore his hernia. I don't remember your user name, but while the conventional non mesh surgery does have a higher reoccurance rate, you probably brought that on your self. You claim you were deading and squatting over 500lbs, which is kinda unbelievable considering how skinny you are. Any way, that's ridiculous, there's no reason to be lifting that kind of weight. Other than to stroke your ego and say you can do it. Or maybe if you're a professional power lifter. That's most likely why you re tore your hernia open, you're lifting a retarded amount of weight with no benefits other than injuring your self.
    Last edited by Germh; 03-01-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Came upon other posts

chewymix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wixmix View Post
    Chewy,

After reading your hernia post, I am guessing you saw Dr Muschaweck? A quick bio of myself. I am a Sports Kinesioligist and work similarly to how Physical Therapists do in the injury rehab and prevention feild, with a few other tools in the box.

I too had bilateral repair from Dr. M in December of 2014, no mesh and had the Muscheweck repair, I also had my genitofemoral nerve resected. My recovery was less than optimal, and given my background I know all the things necesary for a good recovery. I flew over to Germany from the US because she is one of the best there is. I have since then referred many to her from my own practice who have had good recoveries. The mesh free approach can be the best long term, but takes longer in the recovery than mesh. Her technique is almost indestructible compared to how mesh can be an issue in the canal for various reaons.

My recovery in short. Normal healing for a few months, but then lots of tightness and an inability to stand completely upright forget bending backwards. For at least 18months. The tightness would cause pain in the canal, not sure if it's the same you are referring to, but descriptions can be subjective at times one year post op to the week, I strained too hard on a muscle test at work and felt as if I opened the surgery, it took me a few months to recover, the surgery site was not affected but due to the tissues being so tight the surrounding muscle was severely strained and eventually healed. There are pros and cons with mesh free vs mesh. Mesh has its own complications as many people already know. However, if the hernia is too large, the mesh free technique will shorten the fascia tremendously from the surgery, like a tight tshirt on the front. This can cause its own set of problems if not addressed probperly.

I struggled through work daily, lifting people on my table and muscle testing etc. Still, I am not 100% but very close, much better than before the surgery, I spent a year and 15 Dr. Not one in the US were able to diagnose me, shameful....Dr. M literally saved my life as I wa in incredible pain daily which caused deep depression.

There were many modalities of treatment I have tried since my surgery to help with a full recovery. There is one technique which helped me get my full range back. I had seen a local practitioner who practices MFR(Myofacial Release) who had specifically been trained by John Barnes. It's not cheap, but I have been going once per week for 4 months, so far we have made great improvements. I had heavy scarring which takes time to remodel on the cellular level more smoothly. It will require you to be very persistent but eventually you will see improvement. The pain you are experiencing is more than likely excessive tension on the repair it will heal if the tension decreases, the only way to do that now is to treat the fascia which has been artificially shortened do to the repair. I will reiterate that the fascia will remodel and lengthen but extremely slowly, and takes persistnance.
    Hey - sorry for no reply sooner but no notification.

Yep Dr UM and yes she knows her stuff but for me it's still a nightmare. i am pretty much certain that my problem is scar tissue around remaining nerves or neuroma on the cut ends. I can literally pinpoint the areas of pain and it seems to be in the inguinal canal but below the scar on the skin which I am guessing is the site of the actual repair.

I have good flexibility and movement it's just that it still hurts but in ways different to pre surgery or the normal post surgical pain.

Would be good to PM you if possible?