Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1713
    KungFuFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DB63 View Post
    Day 6
    Pain - 7/10 - The morning was better again but for someone who's never ever had any form of back pain my back is still aching from all the sitting and lying around. Trying to vary positions and keep my posture good. Slightly less testicle pain today. Went to the Docs today and had the dressing changed and saw the wound for the first time, a nice big 10cm incision although it does look tidy. Took one ******** in the afternoon as there was pain and discomfort after visiting the docs.

Movement - Marginally better again although the more walking i do, the more the wound hurts later in the day and makes my posture pull forward. Making a conscious effort to keep posture as good as possible. Steps at 4100

Weight was an additional 2.5lbs lower. Pre Op weight was 171lbs - went as high as 174.5lbs post op with bloating but now down to 167.5lbs. I'm guessing some of that is due to a loss of retained water from not taking any creatine and some is muscle atrophy. I hope it doesn't keep coming down with lost muscle as still another few weeks out of the gym.

Day 7
    Officially one week post op by the end of Day 7.

Pain - 6/10 - Less testicular pain now, only when I move in certain ways. As I'm also able to move around a bit more the back pain from lying constantly is reducing. Most of the day spent either on my feet or at a computer chair. Sleep still a bit interrupted, especially when your body tries to stretch out in your sleep tensing your core, that wakes me up most times. Pain shot to a straight 10/10 mid evening when I sneezed for the first time - F*** me that hurt - thought I'd have burst the incision with the pain it caused.

Movement - Improving again, able to walk at a slightly quicker pace now. I'm also walking more upright rather than hunching forward. Attempted a second walk of the same distance I've been doing once a day for the last few days, hurt a bit more second time round and walked a bit slower. Steps today at 6600.

Two Anadin extra taken today for pain as waking up.
    Good luck with your recovery, great that you're doing the walking and taking it sensibly; keep that up.

DB63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. I know reading the day by day progress helped me adjust my expectations for the surgery so hopefully my detailed progress will help others!

Day 8
    Pain - 5.5/10 - Less testicular pain again but a slightly sickening feeling whilst out walking this morning. Still certain positions i can't be in, difficult to put on left sock/shoe but can manage it. Still wearing loose fitting PJ shorts as difficult to put anything tighter fitting on the waist due to the incision being there.

Movement - Improving gradually, went for a longer walk this morning to push myself but it did hurt a bit more doing so towards the end, afternoon walk was shorter but less painful. Just trying to slowly build up resistance. Steps at 8800

Day 9
    Pain - 5/10 - Still some testicle pain. Wore boxers and joggers today as needed to go out. Had to pull my boxers away from waist as the incision goes through the waistline which hurts. Aslong as nothing is touching the wound like my trousers - walking is fine. Hopefully taking the staples out in two days will make a big difference with that.

Movement - Better again providing no pressure from boxers on the incision. Quicker pace and fully upright. Did a few press ups and played with the resistance bands tonight and didn't hurt the incision like it did when I tried a few days ago. Steps at 9500 and hurt less doing them

Day 10
    Pain - 4/10 - The main source of pain now seems to be from wearing joggers or boxers that sit against the wound and rub when I walk. Stitches out tomorrow so fingers crossed that may help with that! Still having to hold my boxers/joggers away from my waist when walking.

Movement - walking completely fine now, providing I'm holding my boxers/joggers away from my waist. Still difficult getting in or out of a car and putting on my left shoe and sock. Steps at 11,200.

Day 11
    Clips now out, discomfort improving and it improved the discomfort around the waist.

Pain 3.5/10 - Another marginal improvement, my biggest mistake was thinking it was going to be 4/5 days of hell and then rapid improvements god knows why. Now I've realised it's gradual and small progress every day, that's helped my mindset.

Movement - Walking quicker now although after I've done about half my daily amount the rubbing hurts more so have to hold trousers out. Steps at 11,550.

I've started a very very slow start back to getting into the gym now. Started today with 5 x 20 press ups, 5 x 20 narrow press ups and some bicep curls with resistance bands. Going to keep doing some very light things like this over the next ten days at home before hopefully returning to doing cardio (cross trainer/bike intervals) and some high rep light weights.

Originally Posted by DB63 View Post
    Day 10
    Pain - 4/10 - The main source of pain now seems to be from wearing joggers or boxers that sit against the wound and rub when I walk. Stitches out tomorrow so fingers crossed that may help with that! Still having to hold my boxers/joggers away from my waist when walking.

Movement - walking completely fine now, providing I'm holding my boxers/joggers away from my waist. Still difficult getting in or out of a car and putting on my left shoe and sock. Steps at 11,200.

Day 11
    Clips now out, discomfort improving and it improved the discomfort around the waist.

Pain 3.5/10 - Another marginal improvement, my biggest mistake was thinking it was going to be 4/5 days of hell and then rapid improvements god knows why. Now I've realised it's gradual and small progress every day, that's helped my mindset.

Movement - Walking quicker now although after I've done about half my daily amount the rubbing hurts more so have to hold trousers out. Steps at 11,550.

I've started a very very slow start back to getting into the gym now. Started today with 5 x 20 press ups, 5 x 20 narrow press ups and some bicep curls with resistance bands. Going to keep doing some very light things like this over the next ten days at home before hopefully returning to doing cardio (cross trainer/bike intervals) and some high rep light weights.
    Great to hear it's going well, those few weeks are the toughest. I'm over 4 months in now and am happily doing all the jumping/spinning kicks/kip ups I was previously doing (although admittedly making an effort to be more mindful of correct technique).

Good to hear the good stories mate! Definitely motivating to keep spirits up.

I'm 3 weeks post operation tomorrow now - mobility good, testicle pain long gone, incision pain reduced and very minimal now.

My only and main cause of pain is what appears to be a small bulge about 1/3 of a cm big and about 1/2cm below my skin at the base of my penis at the start of the pubic area. It feels like a very tight cord and hurts a lot, especially with an erection or if I'm not well supported in boxers.

It's about an inch and a half from the end of the incision. I've read about blood clots which go after 4-6 weeks but I don't know if that's what it is.

I'm going to call the doctors tomorrow and ask for an appointment next week as it's quite concerning! If anyone can relate, please let me know.
    Last edited by DB63; 10-05-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I've seen people talk on these boards about seromas post surgery, always best to get any concerns checked out with a medical professional.

Foodwasher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey
    i just got diagnosed a Inguinal Hernia .
    However the doctor said its a small one and he wouldnt recommend to operate it.
    My only concern is he said i should lift heavy. This for my entire life is not really an option for me (since i am 23).
    I always enjoyed heavy deadlifts.

Anyone here who did not operate it?
    I am not sure if just ignoring it, would be an option

AJK0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Recovery of Hernia

Hey man your forum was really helpful and really motivated me. I just wanted to ask that how much time did it took for your ballsack to be normal again? Because i have been having the same problem as you are, there's fluid which make it bigger and painful at the same time. Plus i was never much of a power lifter in the gym, so how much time should i want to do running (cardio) again do you have any idea?
    Thanks again man.

mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mmobley is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I just wanted to let everyone here know how I am doing now that it has been 1 year after open bilateral inguinal hernia surgery. I feel no twinges like I did for the first 9 months. I feel completely normal and am lifting as heavy as I can. it is not that big a deal.
    Starting weight - 184 ~ Goal weight - 172

Jan 1-184|Jan 8-182.8|Jan 15-xxx|Jan 22-184|Jan 29-xxx|Total-xxx
    Feb 5-xxx|Feb 12-xxx|Feb 19-xxx|Feb 26-xxx|Total-xxx
    Mar 5-xxx|Mar 12-xxx|Mar 19-xxx|Mar 26-xxx|Total-xxx

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mmobley View Post
    I just wanted to let everyone here know how I am doing now that it has been 1 year after open bilateral inguinal hernia surgery. I feel no twinges like I did for the first 9 months. I feel completely normal and am lifting as heavy as I can. it is not that big a deal.
    Counterpoint, for those doing research: I'm at almost two years since laparoscopic bilateral mesh surgery. And still pretty screwed up. My surgeon is/was apparently a believer that the more mesh you can pack in to the cavity the better. There seemed to be a wave of surgeons following that path a few years ago. And I'm paying for it.

I can lift and I can run and I can bike. But I feel all of them afterward, often for a week or more. Forget about doing something healthy every few days, or going to the gym on a free hour. Everything has to be planned for the aftereffects.

If I was able to do it over I'd go with open surgery with mesh, on the injured side only. I informed my surgeon of my problems and he has no ideas for a fix. Hopefully he's changed his ways, and even better, informed other surgeons, so that other people don't end up worse off than when they went in.

Good luck people. Do your homework. And don't forget that the hernia repair field is a cash cow for the hospitals. One hour of operating room time, $10,000 to the organization. Ask questions, verify the answers.

Foodwasher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    anybody had the surgery without mesh?

Update. (Open Inguinal Hernia)

3 weeks post op - Started at the gym again. Lifting about 50% of my normal and just going a bit slower. Felt twinges mostly on my back workout. No squats, deads or any movements that would really hurt. Cardio was done on the cross trainer, exercise bike still a bit sore due to wear the incision was.

4 weeks post op - noticable improvement and minable twinges.

5 weeks post op - back to lifting around the 80% mark, still playing it safe and done no heavy squats or deads etc. Focused more on lunges, or slower leg movements. I did do a few very light squats (60kg for 4 x 8 reps). Everything feels good. Few small twinges on back workout but that was it.

Other - The vein at the base of my penis is still hard and what felt like a lump, the doc said was a valve on the vein, and because the vein is inflamed/hard, it makes the valve the same. He said give it a few weeks and if it is still there to call the surgeon. It's not hurting anymore however which is positive.

Sex is completely fine (from the 4 1/2 week mark).

AJK0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    @mmobley
    Hey Buddy,
    Do open bilateral inguinal hernia means that you got stitches instead of the mesh right? i had the same surgery motnh ago. i just wante to ask that is it possible for me now to Bench press on low weights? like 5kg on each side, or would it effect my surgical area? Please help.

linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This thread is gold. Read every post before my hernia repair, which was yesterday.

Open surgery with mesh (Lichtenstein) with spinal anesthesia.

Day 1 (day of surgery): Anesthesia was great, only mild pain when the needle was stuck in my back, afterwards no pain. I was awake the whole time and felt that "something" was happening. Somewhat like being at the dentist. Hernia was about 4x2 cm. Directly after the surgery I got an diclofenac infusion for the pain.

Throughout the day, only mild pain when moving (3/10) and a little more when laughing (5/10). Walked around a bit in the afternoon.

Day 2: Almost no pain when lying in bed (2/10) or sitting up and mild pain (3/10) when walking around (very slowly). My skin is still completely numb at the surgery-area, but that doesn't bother me much. No testicular swelling or pain, although I felt how the surgeon was pulling on the spermatic cord and some nerve. Overall feeling surprisingly good, with no painkillers needed.
    Last edited by linksjack; 11-09-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Originally Posted by AJK0 View Post
    @mmobley
    Hey Buddy,
    Do open bilateral inguinal hernia means that you got stitches instead of the mesh right? i had the same surgery motnh ago. i just wante to ask that is it possible for me now to Bench press on low weights? like 5kg on each side, or would it effect my surgical area? Please help.
    Bilateral just refers to him having an inguinal hernia on both sides. I believe he had a open mesh repair based on an earlier post (he posted a lot on page 26 of this thread). If possible, I would try and get in touch with your surgeon/medical professional.

Originally Posted by linksjack View Post
    This thread is gold. Read every post before my hernia repair, which was yesterday.

Open surgery with mesh (Lichtenstein) with spinal anesthesia.

Day 1 (day of surgery): Anesthesia was great, only mild pain when the needle was stuck in my back, afterwards no pain. I was awake the whole time and felt that "something" was happening. Somewhat like being at the dentist. Hernia was about 4x2 cm. Directly after the surgery I got an diclofenac infusion for the pain.

Throughout the day, only mild pain when moving (3/10) and a little more when laughing (5/10). Walked around a bit in the afternoon.

Day 2: Almost no pain when lying in bed (2/10) or sitting up and mild pain (3/10) when walking around (very slowly). My skin is still completely numb at the surgery-area, but that doesn't bother me much. No testicular swelling or pain, although I felt how the surgeon was pulling on the spermatic cord and some nerve. Overall feeling surprisingly good, with no painkillers needed.
    Glad to hear you're recovering with only mild pain, the first few days of old man hobbling/bending are tricky, but moving around is key and you'll get your full movement back soon!

linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10) linksjack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KungFuFighting View Post
    Glad to hear you're recovering with only mild pain, the first few days of old man hobbling/bending are tricky, but moving around is key and you'll get your full movement back soon!
    Thanks! Yes, I've been walking around quite a bit for the last few days and I feel that it helps a lot.

A litte background to the surgery, method and mesh: I'm lucky I got a very good surgeon and have no pain related problems (Because I needed pain medication only on the first day, I also had no constipation issues). They used a good mesh (TiLENE light) for the repair, which is light (35 g/m²), titanized, has body-like elasticity, doesn't shrink as much and should offer faster recovery times, according to various studies.

I asked them to use fibrin glue to fix the mesh, so there can be no nerve damage from the sutures. After talking a bit with another doctor (who wasn't too happy with my fibrin-glue-only-demand) we arranged for the mesh to be fixed with a self-absorbing thread and glued on the inguinal ligament (usually sewed on with a not-self-absorbing thread) and glued at all the other points (usually fixed with self-absorbing threads). It wasn't what I initially wanted, but it was a good compromise after he made the point, that the risk for nerve damage at the inguinal ligament is minimal. And because I reallly didn't want general anesthesia I went for spinal anesthesia, which - I think - was a big plus too. I think people are unconsciously and consciously working more accurate if someone is watching them, including doctors when the patient is awake.

At this point (4th day) I'm very happy with the outcome.

I'll update in a few weeks when everything settled.

furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks! Yes, I've been walking around quite a bit for the last few days and I feel that it helps a lot.

A litte background to the surgery, method and mesh: I'm lucky I got a very good surgeon and have no pain related problems (Because I needed pain medication only on the first day, I also had no constipation issues). They used a good mesh (TiLENE light) for the repair, which is light (35 g/m²), titanized, has body-like elasticity, doesn't shrink as much and should offer faster recovery times, according to various studies.

I asked them to use fibrin glue to fix the mesh, so there can be no nerve damage from the sutures. After talking a bit with another doctor (who wasn't too happy with my fibrin-glue-only-demand) we arranged for the mesh to be fixed with a self-absorbing thread and glued on the inguinal ligament (usually sewed on with a not-self-absorbing thread) and glued at all the other points (usually fixed with self-absorbing threads). It wasn't what I initially wanted, but it was a good compromise after he made the point, that the risk for nerve damage at the inguinal ligament is minimal. And because I reallly didn't want general anesthesia I went for spinal anesthesia, which - I think - was a big plus too. I think people are unconsciously and consciously working more accurate if someone is watching them, including doctors when the patient is awake.

At this point (4th day) I'm very happy with the outcome.

I actually sell that fibrin glue Glad everything went well for you.

mistertee87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This thread is incredibly helpful. Without a doubt the definitive guide to inguinal hernia surgery recovery for active people.

I switched my surgery from open to laparoscopic based on this thread. I'm 6 days out and recovering well from a right sided laparoscopic fairly large (between golf and tennis ball) hernia. My main symptoms are bloated stomach, some fatigue, and moderate soreness/aches/pulls on my groin. Still, even in the best circumstances this is a challenging surgery. The first couple to few days will be agonizing. I felt like I was being stabbed nonstop for about 36 hours. Pain killers may or may not help, and the confusion and constipation they cause makes things worse in the long run. I stuck to extra strength Tylenol and Ibupofen and was rewarded with a good bowel movement on day 2.

Laparoscopic comes with its own challenges. True, the incision area probably isn't nearly as bad as it would w/open. But general anesthesia is tiring and taxing in a that a local isn't. For me, one of the worst parts was the CO2 they pump in so they can see your insides. I still have residue bloating and gas from that 6 days later. I also had considerable shoulder pain for a couple days due to the gas rising.

My surgeon told me light activity is okay after 2 weeks and regular workout 3 weeks after the surgery. I'll probably start doing light weights and bodyweight 2 or 2.5 weeks after the surgery and then progress slowly. That's the major benefit of laparoscopic - less time till resuming the gym.

I want to add that I continued to work out (not super heavy) with my fairly large, reduceable hernia for a few months before my surgery. Doctors didn't really have an opinion except to be careful.

It's been 18 days since my surgery (open with mesh and fibrin glue, see above).

Days 4-8: Like I said in my first posts, I was pretty much pain-free from the beginning. I only took pain medication on the first day (day of the surgery) and I'm not even sure I needed that.

Of course I was not 100% free of pain, but it wasn't a problem. With careful movements I could do pretty much every task in the house I needed to. Getting in and out of the car was difficult though, because the incision area (right where the cut was made) was very sensitive.

Getting occasional twitches when moving too fast. No more swelling at the end of the first week.

Days 9-14: The wound was getting less sensitive with each day and wearing normal outdoor-pants wasn't as problematic as before. Twitches are getting less frequent, even though I'm pretty much moving normally at the 2 weeks mark.

I took off the medical strips on day 9 and stopped using adhesive bandage on day 10.

Had my first regular workday on day 11.

Days 15-18: Still getting better with each day, altough the improvements aren't as big anymore. The main "problem" remains the wound area, which is still sensitive at one point where it didn't heal as nicely as the remaining part. It's not a big problem, but it doesn't look as good (it's a little wider) as the rest of the scar.

Still getting occasional mild twitches when doing something too fast.

----

Overall I'm very happy with the outcome, especially with being pain-free. But not everything is perfect. The skin on the left side (where the hernia was) of the pubis is still numb. I knew this could be a potential complication from having open surgery, so I'm fine with that. But while it's not a big problem for my personally, it might be for other people. So if you're considering open surgery, keep in mind that cutting 3 layers of skin and having 3 nerves there might lead to sensitivity disturbances in that area. In my case, I think the surgeon damaged or cut the N. ilioinguinalis.

I'm just happy that this is the only problematic result form this whole thing, because I was very hesitant to do the surgery in the first place.

I'll wait another 5 weeks (to january) for doing sports. That should be enough time (=8 weeks) for everything to heal - hopefully.
    Last edited by linksjack; 11-25-2016 at 07:12 AM.

cherryduck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys,

I had my video laparoscopic surgery for my left inguinal hernia 6 months ago. Have been recovering very well ever since. Upper body workouts were a challenge in the beginning - I felt pain in the lower abs when benching etc. But now, the pain is completely gone.

I had a question. I started deadlifting last week (after 6 months as advised by the doctor). My left side, which was repaired, has no pain whatsoever. Whenever I sumo deadlift and pull though, my right side begins to hurt, like something is pressing against the skin. I'm very worried that I have a right hernia now. There's no visible bulge so I know it's not such a big deal. But, i'm very upset that I can't do sumos anymore.

My conventionals, however, feel entirely fine.

Does anyone have any insight/experience with deadlifts and post hernia ops?

Thanks.

Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasquatch63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glad I found this thread. About a year or so ago, I was doing single legged leg press, and after a couple somewhat heavy sets, I felt aching in one of my nuts. Didn't think too much about it so I continued with my workout. When I got home I still felt the aching, figured it go away the next morning, but it didn't. Waited 2 weeks before going to the hospital and all they said was to take it easy. They told me to take antibiotics after a week if it didn't go away because then it could be an infection. Fast forward to now, and I still feel the aching. Couple weeks ago, I was doing some deadlifts and was struggling on my last couple reps. I let go of my breath too soon and lost all that internal pressure. Immediately after, I felt pain in my lower abdomen, lower back, and nuts. Took it easy the rest of the week, but I still feel a bit of a strain in my lower abdomen and my nuts still hurt. Well I got back from my doctors appointment earlier today, and turns out I most likely have a small hernia in one of my nuts. Going in for a consultation with one of the general surgeons and getting an ultrasound. I'm still a bit nervous going into this, but this thread has definitely helped. I was considering not doing the surgery just because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to lift again. Glad there's still hope.

17 days out now from laparoscopic surgery for a large (tangerine sized) right inguinal hernia. Recovery has gone very well. As far as everyday stuff, i.e. feeling good and moving normal, I've been that way since day 12 or so. Was already at 70-80% of my normal function by day 7.

Have been back to the gym twice now for upper body - lighter. I expect to be back at full strength in no more than 2 more weeks. Surgeon said to give more time before abs and legs, so I am wait another week to start w/those (3 weeks after surgery). Assuming all continues to go well, it's only a 2 week recovery for full normal function and a 3 week recovery for resuming all fitness (within reason). This is what the surgeon told me before operating. I almost didn't believe him due to the horror stories on the Internet. But it appears this is the norm for skilled surgeons doing laparoscopic repair.

The only lingering symptoms are the scars on my stomach, a dissolving stitch next to my belly button, and a little bit of seroma fluid in the groin. I don't notice the mesh at all.

To anyone scared about getting this surgery, don't worry about it. I imagine tens of millions of men - if not more -in the western world have had this surgery. The vast majority go just fine. That doesn't take away the fact that it hurts a lot for the first couple days - in the best cases - to a week or more in tougher cases. And that could keep you out of the gym for up to a month (for open surgery). But in the grand scheme of things a few days of hurt and a month of inactivity is nothing.

Some of the factors that I believe helped my recovery:
    -Picking an experienced hernia surgeon who specialized in laparoscopic. easier to do in a big city
    -Multivitamins, fish oil, BCAAs, protein shakes, keeping clean protein intake very high, no unhealthy processed foods or alcohol
    -Stretching and walking around almost immediately
    -Avoiding narcotic painkillers - was agony for a couple days but had a great bowel movement the day after the surgery and never felt loopy or out of it. Easier to focus on recovery and stay disciplined.
    -Arnica, even if you don't believe in it or think it's a placebo... it's a $10 investment, takes hardly any time or effort, and is harmless. My bruising was brief and went quick.
    -Lots and lots of sleep

chewymix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ongoing hernia repair problems

Best thread on the internet regarding inguinal hernias this, very informative.

Anyone out there with long term pain problems due to hernia repair and know what to have done about it?

I was never much of a lifter as such but always been athletic and naturally stronger than my build might indicate, into climbing, running etc.

I had bi-lateral inguinal open hernia repairs _without_ mesh in August 2013 so nearly 3.5 years ago and things never really settled down. I seemed to be recovering from the surgery, which i thought was brutal BTW, but then about 4 months out things started to go south. My hernias were likely from birth and over the years become painful, they were never really that visible but they could be felt with the old finger up the canal test. During repair one of the nerves on one side was tangled up in the hernia sac so a small bit of it had to be removed and on the other side a small portion of a different nerve had to be removed as it was directly in the way of the repair, and i think its this bit thats causing me issues.

My main problems are pain, which is highly activity dependent and is also made way worse with sitting, although walking can sometimes feel like my inguinal canal is being rubbed raw. Both sides are effected but my left side is generally the worst and sitting can feel like i am being stung by 100 bees which is pretty grim as you can imagine, add to this that it can also feel like my inguinal canal is being crushed when i sit that you can see how i need to get this sorted. My surgeon was a hernia expert who routinely operates on olympic and national athletes so i dont think it was a skill problem i just think that my body reacted by producing tons of scar tissue which over time has hardened and left me where i am. She has offered to go back in and remove some nerves if they are damaged and also remove scar tissue as she finds it - i am hesitant as i didnt react well to her surgery last time. I have consulted a peripheral nerve surgeon and had a couple of nerve blocks on one side which helped for an hour or so but soon wore off. He is also saying we can go in and clean up whatever we find in there, sounds too easy which is why i have paused to make the best decision i can.

I know i cant continue to do nothing but equally am frankly scared to do anything so its a no win situation right now. How have people fared when operated on again for a second time on the same side? Mine would end up being surgery again on both sides but this time i'd do one at a time - Is scar tissue removal as easy as its been made out to me ?

SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoccerAgain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mistertee87 View Post
    17 days out now from laparoscopic surgery

To anyone scared about getting this surgery, don't worry about it. I imagine tens of millions of men - if not more -in the western world have had this surgery. The vast majority go just fine.
    17 days is NOTHING. No offense, I know you're feeling good because you made it through. But you haven't even completely healed yet. Come back in one year before giving advice.

I'll post one more final update. About 4 weeks out from surgery. Doing about 90% of what I was doing at the gym which feels incredible. I think in another week I'll be at 100%.

Everything else non-gym has been more or less 100% since the 2 week mark. There's occasional brief twinges and pulling, but no more than a 2/2.5 on the pain scale - and far better than my pre-surgery sensation of my gut falling into my nut.The area where the hernia was (healing ridge) is still slightly swollen but not enough to cause me any discomfort. Stomach scars still fading.

To sum up my experience for a laparoscopic tangerine sized right inguinal hernia:

Days 1-2: Painful hell. Stomach felt like being constant sharp pain. Walking and standing up pulled on the groin. Bad shoulder pain from the CO2 and very bloated, tender stomach. Probably everything made even more painful since I refused the narcotics, but a lot to be said for a clear mind and a working bowel.
    Days 3-5: Taking it easy at home, but not much pain. OK with moderate doses of OTC medicine. Not ready to be out in public.
    Days 5-10: Back to work at an office job. Still easily fatigued. Minor errands, a little walking.
    Days 10-14: Getting back to normal quickly (75-80%) with energy levels. Moving without any stiffness. Around this time my stomach FINALLY deflated from the CO2 they pump into you for laparoscopic surgery.
    Days 14-21: Feel 90% or better in everyday life. Slowly back to gym starting at day 14.
    Days 21-28: 100% of my energy back. Increasing gym frequency.

Originally Posted by chewymix View Post
    I had bi-lateral inguinal open hernia repairs _without_ mesh in August 2013 so nearly 3.5 years ago and things never really settled down.

Is scar tissue removal as easy as its been made out to me ?
    You had repair without mesh? In 2013? Mesh is everywhere in today's repair world. Did you have the Shouldice procedure? I did a lot of research and thought that almost nobody except the Shouldice people, and very old-timers, did not use mesh, these days.

How were things for the first three years? You said the problem is the last four months. It seems odd that you'd go three plus years then have a burst of scar tissue problems. My results haven't been the greatest. I've thought that I wish I had found someone that worked on true athletes like your surgeon. Can you share her name?

Your situation is quite different from mine but I found that working out with weights compressed the swelling in my abdomen and improved things considerably. But I think that my problem was a layer of swollen tissue around the mesh. Yours is different. But you might try lifting heavy weights to increase abdominal pressure and stretch things out. But, again, the no-mesh procedure i where the most recurrences happen. That's why they use mesh today.

chewymix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes no mesh in 2013. The doctor generally feels that over time mesh can shrink and stiffen and natural tissue repairs are better for more athletic people - I am in the UK and this doctor is german. Many pro athletes have been to her over the years.

I have not been ok until the last 4 months - the first 4 months was not too bad, generally healing pain but then, and over the course of the last 3 years, progressive worsening of issues. Generally the feeling of something being in the inguinal canal but now this feeling is very bad pain.

I can wake and feel relatively ok but as soon as I start to move around it all stirs up again. It's likely scar tissue compromising structures in the inguinal canal. Maybe. This might explain why sitting makes it worse though.

Originally Posted by chewymix View Post
    Yes no mesh in 2013. The doctor generally feels that over time mesh can shrink and stiffen and natural tissue repairs are better for more athletic people - I am in the UK and this doctor is german. Many pro athletes have been to her over the years.

I have not been ok until the last 4 months - the first 4 months was not too bad, generally healing pain but then, and over the course of the last 3 years, progressive worsening of issues. Generally the feeling of something being in the inguinal canal but now this feeling is very bad pain.

I can wake and feel relatively ok but as soon as I start to move around it all stirs up again. It's likely scar tissue compromising structures in the inguinal canal. Maybe. This might explain why sitting makes it worse though.
    Sorry you're having problems, I haven't had anywhere near the successful return to activities that is implied by the information propagated by the "industry", so I can commiserate. I wish I had met your surgeon at the beginning, before I had my abdomen filled with mesh.

I have the stiffness that your surgeon suggested might be a problem, and I have issues when I try to be more active. It's been very debilitating. I even told my surgeon that if I was a sedentary desk-bound worker, I'd probably be okay. He used a lot of mesh, which seems to be what they do today, to avoid recurrence. I used to be a very active runner and soccer player, now I can't even bike on a regular basis without getting swelling and irritation from the stiff mass of mesh and tissue in my belly.

Anyway, your surgeon seems to be very considerate and objective and well-informed. I would take her advice. If you do see her again maybe you could ask her about removing large areas of mesh, for people like me. Maybe I'll take a trip over to see her.

Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast