Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1713
    kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10) kstjean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by drgephys View Post
    Do you know if you had a femoral hernia, which is more common in women? If so, laparoscopic surgery was the right choice, as femoral hernias are hard to fix from the front. I'm surprised you had surgery if you didn't have symptoms.

Six to eight weeks is said to be standard rest after hernia surgery or other athletic surgeries before starting heavy weights or resuming intense activity. Don't worry about it. I took four months off and, when I started, it took me about four months to gain my strength back, but I'm bigger than before the surgery now. Change does good things to the body, including extended rest periods of a few months when needed.
    It was definitely an inguinal hernia. The reason I chose to go ahead and do the surgery when I wasn't having symptoms is simply because they don't get better on their own. I'm not going to stop lifting, so it was just a matter of time before it got bigger and became painful. I would rather get the surgery done when it is small and easy to fix rather that wait for it to start impacting my quality of life and potentially make the surgery more difficult.

I have my follow up today, so we'll see how that goes. Definitely planning on easing back into the heavier lifting gradually and listening to my body. I'm curious to see if I can feel the mesh at all once I do. Thanks!

drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kstjean View Post
    It was definitely an inguinal hernia. The reason I chose to go ahead and do the surgery when I wasn't having symptoms is simply because they don't get better on their own. I'm not going to stop lifting, so it was just a matter of time before it got bigger and became painful. I would rather get the surgery done when it is small and easy to fix rather that wait for it to start impacting my quality of life and potentially make the surgery more difficult.

I have my follow up today, so we'll see how that goes. Definitely planning on easing back into the heavier lifting gradually and listening to my body. I'm curious to see if I can feel the mesh at all once I do. Thanks!
    If it was painful, it was probably a sports hernia, about which I posted a link a few posts ago. True hernias hardly hurt.

Yeah, no need to rush. I would give it six to eight weeks after surgery before I resume unrestricted activity. Pain is certainly an indicator that tells you to stop. Walking is always a good exercise. Probably you can start cardio a couple of weeks from now.

ezzy227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by drgephys View Post
    If it was painful, it was probably a sports hernia, about which I posted a link a few posts ago. True hernias hardly hurt.
    Where are you getting this info from? Plenty of people experience pain and discomfort from ‘true hernias’. I know I did.

drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ezzy227 View Post
    Where are you getting this info from? Plenty of people experience pain and discomfort from ‘true hernias’. I know I did.
    Pain without other symptoms such as a bulge is the practical definition of a sports hernia.

I didn't have much pain with my left and right indirect inguinal hernias -- mostly on occasion when the hernia bulged more than usual such as because of abdominal bloating. However, of course, everybody and every case is different.

You said you used a hernia truss -- probably not a good idea for anyone -- which itself causes pain and other problems. I made that same mistake with my childhood hernia on the right.
    Last edited by drgephys; 03-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Update, 6 months, Bilateral inguinal hernia, Desarda repair (Dr. Tomas in Fort Myers)

Not much to report. Lifting is back to normal and has been for a long time. I haven't had pain of any kind since a few weeks after the surgery, and it was rare then. I still occasionally feel something in the lower gut area if I wear pants that are very tight around the waist and I sit for long periods, but it's not painful or even very noticeable, and it's gone as soon as I stretch out. Even that has slowly diminished over the months and I expect it to disappear. All things considered, I'm very happy with the results of my repair.

My impression from reading (which aligns with my experience) is that Desarda has a longer recuperation period than Lap repair and a little longer than Open, but with little or no possibility of nerve entrapment, and no possibility of mesh migration or related problems. The timeline for me was that I waited
    Last edited by Bell0c; 03-28-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2 months to really start back in the gym (aside from some very minor cheating in the last week or two), but walking a lot for the first few weeks after surgery. I worked back up slowly for maybe 6-8 weeks after that, and was pretty much back at it after that.

Happy to answer any questions, but I've never been able to get notifications to work in my account, and I probably won't keep checking the forum forever. In any case, all the best to other contributors here, best of luck to herniosos that stop by in the future, and many, many thanks to the many people who have taken the time to share their experiences here. It's been an indispensable resource for me during my recovery, and I imagine it has been to lots of others as well.

*** Sorry for the split post. The site has been broken for a few days and only allowed part of my post (weirdly), so I had to come back today to complete it.

Originally Posted by Bell0c View Post
    2 months to really start back in the gym (aside from some very minor cheating in the last week or two), but walking a lot for the first few weeks after surgery. I worked back up slowly for maybe 6-8 weeks after that, and was pretty much back at it after that.

Happy to answer any questions, but I've never been able to get notifications to work in my account, and I probably won't keep checking the forum forever. In any case, all the best to other contributors here, best of luck to herniosos that stop by in the future, and many, many thanks to the many people who have taken the time to share their experiences here. It's been an indispensable resource for me during my recovery, and I imagine it has been to lots of others as well.

*** Sorry for the split post. The site has been broken for a few days and only allowed part of my post (weirdly), so I had to come back today to complete it.
    Thanks for your contributions, especially dispelling some of the misleading information "drgephys" was spewing about the Desarda repair technique. 4 and 1/2 months out from my Desarda surgery and I feel great, doing everything I was doing before my hernia - just a little more cautiously. I'll be checking out of this thread too. Good luck to anyone having to go through this. Research your repair options, but don't wait too long to get it fixed. Very happy to have this behind me.

Thanks for your contributions, especially dispelling some of the misleading information "drgephys" was spewing about the Desarda repair technique. 4 and 1/2 months out from my Desarda surgery and I feel great, doing everything I was doing before my hernia - just a little more cautiously. I'll be checking out of this thread too. Good luck to anyone having to go through this. Research your repair options, but don't wait too long to get it fixed. Very happy to have this behind me.
    Ezzy, thank you for doing your own research and following up. I'm really glad it worked out for you as well as it has for me. I don't envy people just getting started on this topic - there are a lot of options and unbiased info is hard to find. Best of luck to you!

reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) reignman76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had a right side indirect inguinal hernia repair with mesh on February 8th. I would say only day 3 was kinda rough. I took one percoset that day and that’s because my RN girlfriend made me as a preventive measure. I don’t think I would have needed it. Doc said by week 6 the repair will be 90% healed and that the other 10% happens over the course of the rest of the year post surgery.

Week 5 I cheated and did some lifts with just the barbell. I had a 25 lbs limit through week 6 so I figured 45 lbs wouldn’t be too crazy.

Tomorrow is 9 weeks since my surgery. During my 8th week I did:
    2x5@135 lbs DL
    5x5@80 lbs OHP
    5x5@90 lbs Squat
    5x5@120 lbs Bench

I’m slowly adding weight to the bar and anticipate being back to 100% on OHP and Bench in about 6 weeks or so and 12 or so on squat and DL

I’ve had no pain post surgery besides the first few days. There were a couple days during week 2 or 3 where it “burned”. I was told this burning sensation is the healing process.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here for an update. Had a bilateral laparoscopic TEP (ProGrip mesh) repair at the end of August, 2017 so it's been 19 months.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1517950041

I was back in the gym 10 days post op and did squats (working up to 275x1) on day 11 and deadlifts 15 days post up (worked up to 295x1)

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1517950041
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1519659711

Every thing has gone fine. I have had no problems with the repair. I attribute the lack of any types ongoing pain to my early return to activity.

SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Open surgery repair on bilateral inguinal hernia 5 weeks ago but still not good...

Hello,

After introducing myself in the appropriate sub forum, I would like to beg your help in here. I'm proud of signing up the herniated club. To make things short, I'm from Spain (living in The Netherlands), 45 years old. Some time ago I found (well, some surgeon did), that I had a bilateral inguinal hernia (2 hernias, small). It came from the fact that I was starting to develop some pain in the iliopsoas (I guessed), not bulges coming out or anything. To make things fast (my wife is due to deliver baby soon and she needs my help due to kind of premature delivery risk), I went to m country to have a faster treatment.

Last March 13 I had open surgery. Everything was going fine, but I had a pain after almost 4 weeks. Here in Holland doctors are not exactly the best, but I managed to have an ultrasound and see the surgeon. Radiologist said, from ultrasound, a recurrence on the right, bigger than 2 cm (around 1 inch), much bigger than any of the small ones I used to have. 2 surgeons tried to feel it by touching but they said they couldn't feel anything, so they couldn't conclude whether I have a recurrence or not, they guessed from radiologist's report, but couldn't feel it by pushing me everywhere around... They said I could come back to see again in 3 months. I checked with the surgeon in Spain who did the surgery and he neglects the possibility of a recurrence, he said is too early to consider any ultrasound valuable, so to speak. He added that someone with my build, (not fat, basically) should be easy to spot a hernia right away by touching, but here surgeons are terrible and also, may be the remaining inflammation is precluding hernia from being felt, I don't know.

Pain has lowered, but tomorrow I'll be on my 5th week after surgery, and what I've done so far is my average 11 km per day on the bicycle to go to work, nothing else, I'm getting depressed from refraining from going to the gym (it's like my drug), but I don't dare to go and do weightlifting, yesterday I was assembling a chest of drawers (the typical for baby, not too big) and posture wasn't good, but didn't require much effort, and after that I felt some kind of assortment of pains, not too high though, but the're there.

I read this thread about people at full steam at my week of recovery and I see myself losing muscular mass and fitness (although my weightlifting wasn't too much, I was on 18 MET), hiding from the scales and not seeing when I'll be able to go back to gym...

Therefore, I would be more than grateful if someone could give me some insight. If there are any medical able to interpret ultrasound, I wouldn't mind posting some pics from the ultrasound last week.

Tanks a lot in advance and Best Regards

RPG
    Last edited by SpanishRPG; 04-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Originally Posted by SpanishRPG View Post
    Hello,

After introducing myself in the appropriate sub forum, I would like to beg your help in here. I'm proud of signing up the herniated club. To make things short, I'm from Spain (living in The Netherlands), 45 years old. Some time ago I found (well, some surgeon did), that I had a bilateral inguinal hernia (2 hernias, small). It came from the fact that I was starting to develop some pain in the iliopsoas (I guessed), not bulges coming out or anything. To make things fast (my wife is due to deliver baby soon and she needs my help due to kind of premature delivery risk), I went to m country to have a faster treatment.

Last March 13 I had open surgery. Everything was going fine, but I had a pain after almost 4 weeks. Here in Holland doctors are not exactly the best, but I managed to have an ultrasound and see the surgeon. Radiologist said, from ultrasound, a recurrence on the right, bigger than 2 cm (around 1 inch), much bigger than any of the small ones I used to have. 2 surgeons tried to feel it by touching but they said they couldn't feel anything, so they couldn't conclude whether I have a recurrence or not, they guessed from radiologist's report, but couldn't feel it by pushing me everywhere around... They said I could come back to see again in 3 months. I checked with the surgeon in Spain who did the surgery and he neglects the possibility of a recurrence, he said is too early to consider any ultrasound valuable, so to speak. He added that someone with my build, (not fat, basically) should be easy to spot a hernia right away by touching, but here surgeons are terrible and also, may be the remaining inflammation is precluding hernia from being felt, I don't know.

Pain has lowered, but tomorrow I'll be on my 5th week after surgery, and what I've done so far is my average 11 km per day on the bicycle to go to work, nothing else, I'm getting depressed from refraining from going to the gym (it's like my drug), but I don't dare to go and do weightlifting, yesterday I was assembling a chest of drawers (the typical for baby, not too big) and posture wasn't good, but didn't require much effort, and after that I felt some kind of assortment of pains, not too high though, but the're there.

I read this thread about people at full steam at my week of recovery and I see myself losing muscular mass and fitness (although my weightlifting wasn't too much, I was on 18 MET), hiding from the scales and not seeing when I'll be able to go back to gym...

Therefore, I would be more than grateful if someone could give me some insight. If there are any medical able to interpret ultrasound, I wouldn't mind posting some pics from the ultrasound last week.

RPG
    Hi RPG,

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. Looking for expert medical feedback on this forum probably isn't your best bet. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but if you can afford to do it, I would hunt down the best hernia specialist I could find. I'd be concerned that, if there is a recurrence, scar tissue would continue to build up around that mesh and make repair increasingly difficult. That said, occasional minor pain for several months isn't unusual according to the studies I've read, so it may not mean anything. It's a tough spot to be in, and I hope the best for you.

Hello,

RPG
    Post your question over at herniatalk.com. There are actual hernia surgeons who monitor that forum and might give you some advice.

SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpanishRPG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Post your question over at herniatalk.com. There are actual hernia surgeons who monitor that forum and might give you some advice.
    Thanks a lot mate, I'll do!

Hi RPG,

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. Looking for expert medical feedback on this forum probably isn't your best bet. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but if you can afford to do it, I would hunt down the best hernia specialist I could find. I'd be concerned that, if there is a recurrence, scar tissue would continue to build up around that mesh and make repair increasingly difficult. That said, occasional minor pain for several months isn't unusual according to the studies I've read, so it may not mean anything. It's a tough spot to be in, and I hope the best for you.
    Thanks pal, is strange, if In Holland they believe probability of recurrence is high, why they said I have to wait more than 3 months toi reintervene? Health system in holland is terrible, I have, since I'm here (~10 years), 4 friends in their 30's with cancer, 2 died, and it was clear that system wanted to save money rather than heal. Well, that's another topic, problem is how can I find a good surgeon? The one who did the operation in spain I thought he is good. In holland, when everything started, before surgery, the surgeon touched right groin, she said may be there's a hernia, but she sent me to ultrasound to confirm. I went to Spain and the surgeon, by touching only one time on both sides, he confirmed the bilateral. Now, becuase of the non 100% confirmed ultrasound result in Holland, the Spanish surgeon is questioned... To be honest I don't know...

Thanks pal, is strange, if In Holland they believe probability of recurrence is high, why they said I have to wait more than 3 months toi reintervene? Health system in holland is terrible, I have, since I'm here (~10 years), 4 friends in their 30's with cancer, 2 died, and it was clear that system wanted to save money rather than heal. Well, that's another topic, problem is how can I find a good surgeon? The one who did the operation in spain I thought he is good. In holland, when everything started, before surgery, the surgeon touched right groin, she said may be there's a hernia, but she sent me to ultrasound to confirm. I went to Spain and the surgeon, by touching only one time on both sides, he confirmed the bilateral. Now, becuase of the non 100% confirmed ultrasound result in Holland, the Spanish surgeon is questioned... To be honest I don't know...
    Yeah, man, that's a tough question, especially in a socialized system. I think several people in this thread mentioned a private clinic in Germany that is well regarded, but I don't remember the name. I'm sure there are others in Europe, but I don't know how to find them. Not sure if you're willing to travel to the States - you might have some other options here.

Yeah, man, that's a tough question, especially in a socialized system. I think several people in this thread mentioned a private clinic in Germany that is well regarded, but I don't remember the name. I'm sure there are others in Europe, but I don't know how to find them. Not sure if you're willing to travel to the States - you might have some other options here.
    Thanks! I'll try to find out theone in Germany, going to the States is no option now that my wife is about to deliver baby in weeks, scary now that Holland has the highest born baby death ratio in Europe... I'll try to keep you posted.

Thanks again

Thanks! I'll try to find out theone in Germany, going to the States is no option now that my wife is about to deliver baby in weeks, scary now that Holland has the highest born baby death ratio in Europe... I'll try to keep you posted.

Thanks again
    Wow, man, I'm sorry to hear that! Congrats on your baby, and best wishes for a safe delivery and homecoming. Yeah, please let us know how you get things resolved.

Wow, man, I'm sorry to hear that! Congrats on your baby, and best wishes for a safe delivery and homecoming. Yeah, please let us know how you get things resolved.
    Thanks mate, baby coming soon is the main reason why I'm not seeking doctors in other places, so everyting had to come together... Yesterday after my 12 km from going to work, etc, I started a bit of cardio at the gym, just 6.3 km at 3. km/h (8.1 mph), arm bicycle and some 12 min elliptical rower, total 900 Kcal and today I have no pain or at least no more pain than before, only typical stiffness in quads and abs from not using those for more than a month.... I hope this is a good sign. If everything is good I'll start next week, after 6 weeks surgery, light weights.... I've heard not to do dedicated abs yet, does this include rower machine (the typical concept ones)...

Thanks again and Best Regards
    Last edited by SpanishRPG; 04-20-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks mate, baby coming soon is the main reason why I'm not seeking doctors in other places, so everyting had to come together... Yesterday after my 12 km from going to work, etc, I started a bit of cardio at the gym, just 6.3 km at 3. km/h (8.1 mph), arm bicycle and some 12 min elliptical rower, total 900 Kcal and today I have no pain or at least no more pain than before, only typical stiffness in quads and abs from not using those for more than a month.... I hope this is a good sign. If everything is good I'll start next week, after 6 weeks surgery, light weights.... I've heard not to do dedicated abs yet, does this include rower machine (the typical concept ones)...

Thanks again and Best Regards
    That's good news, and I hope it continues for you. Several people on this thread have jumped back into pretty heavy workouts within a week or two of surgery. I'm not sure how it worked out for them long term - short term they seem to have been ok - but most doctors say to wait 8 weeks, and that's what most people here have done. Cardio seems to be ok, as long as it's not too strenuous. Not sure about rowing, but I guess as with most things, if you take it slowly, work up, and watch for pain and soreness ("Let your pain be your guide!"), you'll be ok. Hope the worst is past for you.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's good news, and I hope it continues for you. Several people on this thread have jumped back into pretty heavy workouts within a week or two of surgery. I'm not sure how it worked out for them long term - short term they seem to have been ok - but most doctors say to wait 8 weeks, and that's what most people here have done. Cardio seems to be ok, as long as it's not too strenuous. Not sure about rowing, but I guess as with most things, if you take it slowly, work up, and watch for pain and soreness ("Let your pain be your guide!"), you'll be ok. Hope the worst is past for you.
    Not all doctors say to wait for 8 weeks.

[QUOTE]Instructions for:
    Post-Operative Unilateral (One Sided) or Bilateral (Two Sided) Laparoscopic or Robotic Inguinal Hernia Repair

1. For the first 48 hours after the surgery, you should not drive an automobile, have sexual intercourse, do core exercises or lift over 15 lbs.
    2. On the third post-operative day, unless told differently by me, you have FULL UNRESTRICTED physical activity. There is no limitation, and the more you do, the quicker the pain and discomfort will disappear. Some discomfort and pain is normal. Your body will set your limits, though it is ok to be aggressive.

https://www.nycherniasurgery.com/for...-instructions/

This was not my surgeon but I used this as a guide for my laparoscopic bilateral repair and it worked out fine, much better than those who seem to wait months. Of course if you do have an open procedure you do have to wait longer. Even then, I have read posts that say, "My doctor said to wait 6 weeks so I waited 3 months because I just wanted to be sure." These people tend not to do well.

[QUOTE=culican;1578514411]Not all doctors say to wait for 8 weeks.

Instructions for:
    Post-Operative Unilateral (One Sided) or Bilateral (Two Sided) Laparoscopic or Robotic Inguinal Hernia Repair

1. For the first 48 hours after the surgery, you should not drive an automobile, have sexual intercourse, do core exercises or lift over 15 lbs.
    2. On the third post-operative day, unless told differently by me, you have FULL UNRESTRICTED physical activity. There is no limitation, and the more you do, the quicker the pain and discomfort will disappear. Some discomfort and pain is normal. Your body will set your limits, though it is ok to be aggressive.

https://www.nycherniasurgery.com/for...-instructions/

This was not my surgeon but I used this as a guide for my laparoscopic bilateral repair and it worked out fine, much better than those who seem to wait months. Of course if you do have an open procedure you do have to wait longer. Even then, I have read posts that say, "My doctor said to wait 6 weeks so I waited 3 months because I just wanted to be sure." These people tend not to do well.
    No, not all recommend 8 weeks, but most do, as I said. And as lots of posts seem to attest, recuperation seems quickest for lap, then open, then tissue. I completely agree that sitting around for 3 months (or even 1 week) post-op is about the worst thing you can do. But going back to unrestricted deadlifts 3 days after getting stitches in your gut seems like a pretty bad idea too.

Unhappy

I really regret having done this surgery, my surgeon (the one who made the bilateral open surgery) told me I could go back to work riding the bicycle after 2 weeks, then gym full power and horsing around after 4 weeks, thank god I didn't listen to him, but I think it doesn't matter anymore, as more than possibly I have to have the surgery redone on both sides, which adds up complication and worsens prognosis... On top, surgeons here cannot confirm recurrence.

I've had so many surgeries in the past, including complicated ones such as Lefort I (cutting your upper jaw and refitting) with perfect flawless recovery, and this is the first time I regret one. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the hernias were there for months or years, I could've waited after my son is born and settled, in fact, what discovered them was a pain in my iliopsoas that Dutch surgeon said is a reflective pain, but after surgeries pain is still there. Anyway, as a Spanish saying goes, hurries are for thieves and bad bullfighters only...

I was in a hurry and didn't get enough information, nobody told me hernia is so difficult surgery that only experienced surgeon can kind of guarantee success and no recurrence. Nobody told me whole recovery is > 6 months, etc etc, I was so stupid to trust my surgeon, ahhhh if I only could rewind time...

I really regret having done this surgery, my surgeon (the one who made the bilateral open surgery) told me I could go back to work riding the bicycle after 2 weeks, then gym full power and horsing around after 4 weeks, thank god I didn't listen to him, but I think it doesn't matter anymore, as more than possibly I have to have the surgery redone on both sides, which adds up complication and worsens prognosis... On top, surgeons here cannot confirm recurrence.

I've had so many surgeries in the past, including complicated ones such as Lefort I (cutting your upper jaw and refitting) with perfect flawless recovery, and this is the first time I regret one. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the hernias were there for months or years, I could've waited after my son is born and settled, in fact, what discovered them was a pain in my iliopsoas that Dutch surgeon said is a reflective pain, but after surgeries pain is still there. Anyway, as a Spanish saying goes, hurries are for thieves and bad bullfighters only...

I was in a hurry and didn't get enough information, nobody told me hernia is so difficult surgery that only experienced surgeon can kind of guarantee success and no recurrence. Nobody told me whole recovery is > 6 months, etc etc, I was so stupid to trust my surgeon, ahhhh if I only could rewind time...
    I hope the next few weeks prove you wrong, man - that you're just experiencing some post-operative adjustments that go away eventually. If not, you should probably focus your efforts on finding someone known for correcting recurrences, which involves removing scar tissue grown into the mesh without damaging nerves - a different procedure. The doctor that did my Desarda repair - Dr. Tomas in Fort Myers, Florida - also specializes in mesh removal, but I'm sure there are others in your neighborhood. They might even be easier to find since it's a narrower specialty. But you definitely want to be sure it's a recurrence before you go cutting into it again. Hang in there, man.

I hope the next few weeks prove you wrong, man - that you're just experiencing some post-operative adjustments that go away eventually. If not, you should probably focus your efforts on finding someone known for correcting recurrences, which involves removing scar tissue grown into the mesh without damaging nerves - a different procedure. The doctor that did my Desarda repair - Dr. Tomas in Fort Myers, Florida - also specializes in mesh removal, but I'm sure there are others in your neighborhood. They might even be easier to find since it's a narrower specialty. But you definitely want to be sure it's a recurrence before you go cutting into it again. Hang in there, man.
    I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but these feelings I have I don't know... In Holland where I live is impossible, you cannot go out of the private health system and doctors are the worst of Europe, they know nothing although bragging about they're superior, I cannot go to Spain to find one (due to my baby popping out sooner than later with laying down wife plus living in a foreign country, thus no family to help, and that's another hell of a story, when my wife asked the gynecologist how do contractions feel like the answer was: I don't know, I've never been pregnant), so I gotta be patient, my only concern is that whether better or worse to intervene a recurrence earlier or later when everything is settled.... What is mortifying me is the fact that they cannot give a diagnose: if I have a recurrence, a hole or a owl inside, they said they don't know...

Thanks a lot for your support, I'll keep you posted guys...

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but these feelings I have I don't know... In Holland where I live is impossible, you cannot go out of the private health system and doctors are the worst of Europe, they know nothing although bragging about they're superior, I cannot go to Spain to find one (due to my baby popping out sooner than later with laying down wife plus living in a foreign country, thus no family to help, and that's another hell of a story, when my wife asked the gynecologist how do contractions feel like the answer was: I don't know, I've never been pregnant), so I gotta be patient, my only concern is that whether better or worse to intervene a recurrence earlier or later when everything is settled.... What is mortifying me is the fact that they cannot give a diagnose: if I have a recurrence, a hole or a owl inside, they said they don't know...

Thanks a lot for your support, I'll keep you posted guys...
    Not sure what you mean by right and wrong - I'm agreeing with you. Just saying that if it is a recurrence, you'll want to take special care. I'm sorry to hear that the situation in Holland is so dire. Actually, it sounds crazy! I'm no expert (at all!), but I imagine that if you do need a re-do, you'll want it sooner rather than later. But the first step is to find someone that knows what's going on. Good luck!

Not sure what you mean by right and wrong - I'm agreeing with you. Just saying that if it is a recurrence, you'll want to take special care. I'm sorry to hear that the situation in Holland is so dire. Actually, it sounds crazy! I'm no expert (at all!), but I imagine that if you do need a re-do, you'll want it sooner rather than later. But the first step is to find someone that knows what's going on. Good luck!
    I meant, I hope you're right and is part of post-op adjustments and I'm wrong (I fear the recurrence). Yep, it's really ****, and as I said, this is the first time I regret having trusted treatment, it's also first time I didn't do my search beforehand, so that I would've never allowed and open surgery instead op the lap one just for the recovering time to start with...

Thanks mate!

I meant, I hope you're right and is part of post-op adjustments and I'm wrong (I fear the recurrence). Yep, it's really ****, and as I said, this is the first time I regret having trusted treatment, it's also first time I didn't do my search beforehand, so that I would've never allowed and open surgery instead op the lap one just for the recovering time to start with...

Thanks mate!
    Ah, I see, gotcha. Yeah, it's definitely a complex subject, and it's hard to know what you're getting into. Such a common problem, but with so many different kinds of repair, and so many different levels of skill among doctors. Hard to know what you're getting. I'm hope I'm right, too

Ah, I see, gotcha. Yeah, it's definitely a complex subject, and it's hard to know what you're getting into. Such a common problem, but with so many different kinds of repair, and so many different levels of skill among doctors. Hard to know what you're getting. I'm hope I'm right, too
    I'm afraid to say you're wrong. Didn't we bet a sixer (six dollar note)? Today hernia is confirmed. I have surgery in 3 weeks, laparoscopic one. I will be out of fittness, so to speak, a total of 6 months, when surgery will have been 2 months since first one in March, plus this time I will take at least 3 months without moving from the bed, this time I cannot risk a third surgery and i'ts more than clear that my muscle quality is ****e and cannot build up tissue. I wonder if one can recover physical fitness after 6 months of inactivity, which I doubt if you're 45, but if so, how many yeras will it take to go back to previous level? I remember last year I was on 18 MET and in leg press full machine's weight, etc.... I haven't stopped my sports routine since 20 years now... Any experience will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards...

Joffray is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I want to thank everyone who has been commenting on their experiences and their research in this thread!

I 've researched enough and read enough at this point to feel like I have a grasp of what I am getting myself into and what is the best option for my particular case. I have a direct inguinal hernia that I believe I originally created in my 20's moving a heavy piece of furniture. Just a little bump where you could see my right side was a little more raised than my left. Turned 48 and was doing some heavy front squats in 2018 and pop goes the weasel. Bought a truss so I could keep lifting and have done so with great success as long as I stay away from anything heavy in the front rack position. With that said, I'm tired of the truss and not being able to lift as much as I would like. My little friend isn't going away on his own. I seek freedom.

I've researched open with mesh and mesh-free, laparoscopic, and robotic. I know many people have been successful with mesh but I have opted for mesh-free. I looked into the various mesh-free surgery techniques and have opted to go with Desarda. I will update this thread with my experience once I have the surgery. This thread has been a wealth of information!

Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast