Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    w1tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) w1tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) w1tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) w1tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) w1tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) w1tek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hello

Hello everyoane. I will start with : sorry for my english but i'm not an american guy.

My name is Bogdan and i'm from Romania (Europe). Well last week i had suffer an hernia surrgery. Now i'm ok , but in days 1-3 i had awful pain. Also now my inguinal zone is numb. I can't feel that part .Also i had some stings when i'm walking. But i'm very sad cause i dont know if my gym activity will be the same. I was dedicated to the gym workout and i want to be back as soon as possible. But a lot of people say that it's not recommended . On my surgery i had an progrip mesh(coviden) my doctor recommended that. . He said that there are no risk with that mesh cause where he put it will remain there.
    they said that if i go to gym it's possible to do hernia also on the right part; and also the left one can recur.

Can u help me with some advices? i'm 19 years old and i want my dreams back.

AGAIN: Sorry for my english , and cheers !

Ps- With respect,A.Bogdan

nimisht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was your age when I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia as well. Underwent surgery with mesh reinforcement. The hernia hasn't recurred but I am very careful with the amount of weights I lift. After you heal completely, you should ask your doctor if you can slowly resume light exercises. But don't go overboard. Trust me life brightens up after some time. While you are recovering consider additional hobbies until you are fit to resume exercise again.
    ---
    Nimish

Growing muscle mass one fiber at a time

http://www.DontSpendMore.com

TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up 2 weeks post operative

Howdy fellow hernias, it has been 14 days since I had laproscopic surgery performed on a left indirect inguinal hernia and I am feeling much better. I have a follow up with my surgeon tomorrow and will let y'all know what I can and can't do.

As for what I have done for the past two weeks I have healed very quickly in my opinion my recovery has gone a little like this.

Day 1: Had my hernia repaired that afternoon and was discharged from the hospital around 5:00 p.m. I woke up very sore and when they had me get up and walk to the restroom on my own, pissed and walk back to the bed, I nearly passed out from a vagal response/side effect from just waking up from anesthesia. I had 3 small incisions all less than half an inch long and covered with a waterproof dressing (steri-strips) Once I laid down and regained my strength I was dressed into sweats, baggy shirt, jacket etc. and walked a few feet to the wheelchair and the wheeled me out. On the drive home a couple of bumps hurt pretty bad and had some abdominal spasms where the mesh was put in. By the time I had gotten home I was actually pretty hungry and had a nutritious meal that night, high protein, carbs, fats and fiber (eat your spinach and almonds)! I was very sore but was able to get out in and out of bed 10 times for food and restroom breaks. That night I slept flat on my back in my bed with no problems, and had a pilow on top of my stomach for comfort/protection.

RESTRICTIONS: Day 1-7 I am not allowed to bend over, put on socks etc. No straining of any kind, avoid lifting and if I had to lift nothing over 10 pounds.

Day 2: Woke up early in the morning still pretty sore, was taking hydrocodones for pain along with 400-600mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. The nurse encouraged getting out of bed and walking when I was discharged, so I had my awesome girlfriend dress me, feed me, etc.. and I walked about 400 feet or so to the stop sign and back in my neighborhood. Walked very slow, and hunched over like and old man. Took a hot shower that afternoon. Felt very relaxing and gave me a funny tickling sensation where the mesh had been place, but besides that I felt better after the shower. I walked 2 more times throughout the day, making sure to stay active.

(Very constipated from anesthesia and pain meds, Doctor recommended Dulcolax and milk of magnesia which did not work for me and I needed immediate relief. Day 2 I was very bloated in a lot of pain until I resorted to a glycerin suppository and everything was 10x better after I got that out of the way, haha I have no shame)

Day 3: My lovely girlfriend prepped all my meals for me to eat, making sure to eat as much as I can and cleanly as I can. Eating chicken, baby spinach, fruits and veggies with every meal. Day 3 I walked around the block a couple times starting to stand up straighter but still very sore. Only took narcotic medication at night to sleep, continued taking ibuprofen for inflammation.

Day 4: Still sore, able to walk upright and at a normal pace with slight discomfort from the mesh in my lower left inguinal region. Incisions fully healed but numb/tender. I accidently took my water proof bandages off of my incisions a day early and later freaked out because I was suppose to leave them on for 5-7 days, but everything was healed shut. (misread post care instructions called the surgeons nurse and she called back saying everything is fine if the incisions are healed shut and no signs of infection) Day 4 was a good day walked for about 30 minutes approx 1-1.5 miles. (Taking No more narcotics only ibuprofen)

I also coughed/sneezed and laughed for the first time since my surgery and it scared me ****less. I had a burning/stabbing sensation where the mesh was put in. It felt that I had torn something the pain was that intense, I immediately laid down and iced the pain for 20 minutes and called the Nurse. She reassured me that is normal for the first few weeks of post-op. They secured my mesh with dissolvable tacks and I guess that is what was poking/stabbing me. (i'm sure the nurse thinks i'm a worry wart by now)

Day 5: Getting better day by day, continuing to walk at least 2 times a day for 20-30 minutes at a time. Appetite is good, eating clean etc.

Day 6: Went to class and was still sore, but besides that no major problems I can think of at the moment. (sitting for a long period of time 1-2 hours was not good for me. Once I stood up and stretched the mesh site was tight and slighly painful so don't sit for more than 30 minutes without getting up to walk around and get blood flowing.)

Day 7: Was suppose to meet with my doctor for my 7 day follow up but he is not in the office due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

Day 8: THANKSGIVING: My family bought tickets to see the Cowboys on Thanksgiving day.. (I already know the Cowboys are terrible) I did a lot of walking on this day. I would estimate I walk about 1-2 miles from the parking lot and around the stadium and up a couple flights of stairs to our seats. The stairs didn't bother me and the doctor never advised not going up stairs, but I walked up and down them very slow and cautiously while people probably wondered why I was going at the pace of a senior citizen. Sitting for long periods of time during the game gave me discomfort, made sure to stand up every quarter and stand up straight and stretch out a little. Only pain meds I was on is ibuprofen as needed. Eating a lot of protein/carbs because of the holiday and plenty of leftovers.

Day 9: Took it easy today, didn't do any walking/exercise today because of all the walking the previous day. Calves were a little sore actually and Mesh site was kinda sore.

Day 10: Nothing significant, took it easy did my 20-30 minute walks. Eat greedy.

Day 11: Woke up with almost no pain, usually the mesh site is sore/stiff in the morning, but not today.

Day 12: Couldn't resist the urge... I still haven't had a follow up with the doctor, but walking and bending over doesn't hurt at all, kinda winging it until the doctor and if it hurts don't do it.. but I was bound to give in eventually. My Girlfriend and I started fooling around and long story short, I didn't do much on my part, but I didn't have any significant pain.

Day 13: Slept in, walked 2 miles, played video games, went out to eat, GF and I did it, had some testicle pain for a couple hours but it is fine now. Still haven't lifted anything heavier than 10 lbs (I don't think) I feel very good, just lazy and bored now. I helped with the groceries so a little risky on my part, but experience no pain.

I have even caught myself sitting up in bed using my abs and not realizing I wasn't using my arms, but I don't have any pain.

Day 14: Same ol, same ol, I see my doctor tomorrow and will let you guys know what I can and cannot do. I will tell him pretty much everything I stated here, the only thing that causes me pain is coughing, laughing and sneezing.

I apologize for making this post so long, but I want people to get a sense of what I went through. I'm sure there is some other useful information I have left out that I cannot think about at this time, but I will continue following this thread and post as I continue my recovery and get back into lifting. As for the 2 week mark I think I have made excellent progress in my recovery so far, and I feel about 70-80% normal already. Besides losing some muscle mass and being lethargic and lazy I believe walking and nutrition has helped tremendously in my case, I wish I had a physical therapist/routine to follow :P

Good Luck and get well soon fellow hernia sufferers! Time heals us all

TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone, I met with my surgeon today for my first follow up since my surgery. I told him the progress I have been making and the symptoms I am still experiencing, he said it sounds like I am healing very quickly and told me I could lift 5-10 lb dumbbells and do a light workout if I wanted to. He said I could also begin light cardio workouts such as jogging or cycling and let "pain" be your guide. I still have some minor swelling in my left testicle that I forgot to mention to the doctor, but I'm sure it will go away on its own.

It has been 2 weeks since my operation and I am going to take another 1-2 weeks before attempting a light weight workout. (even though the doctor said I am clear to lift up to 20 lbs.) Listen to your doctor, but if your body is not ready and you are having pain, stop immediately! I am going to continue my 30 minute walks and may incorporate some uphill grade. I don't feel ready mentally to start jogging or lifting yet and would rather let my surgical area heal to its fullest potential before exerting stress on it.

Make sure you think about the long term instead of the short term, I have the rest of my life to lift and to do cardio, I don't mind extending my recovery period x2 for my own sake.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about anything post them here or send me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. As for me, It is time for a walk around the neighbor hood, stretching, and relaxing!

ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TaylorM31 View Post
    Hey everyone, I met with my surgeon today for my first follow up since my surgery. I told him the progress I have been making and the symptoms I am still experiencing, he said it sounds like I am healing very quickly and told me I could lift 5-10 lb dumbbells and do a light workout if I wanted to. He said I could also begin light cardio workouts such as jogging or cycling and let "pain" be your guide. I still have some minor swelling in my left testicle that I forgot to mention to the doctor, but I'm sure it will go away on its own.

It has been 2 weeks since my operation and I am going to take another 1-2 weeks before attempting a light weight workout. (even though the doctor said I am clear to lift up to 20 lbs.) Listen to your doctor, but if your body is not ready and you are having pain, stop immediately! I am going to continue my 30 minute walks and may incorporate some uphill grade. I don't feel ready mentally to start jogging or lifting yet and would rather let my surgical area heal to its fullest potential before exerting stress on it.

Make sure you think about the long term instead of the short term, I have the rest of my life to lift and to do cardio, I don't mind extending my recovery period x2 for my own sake.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about anything post them here or send me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. As for me, It is time for a walk around the neighbor hood, stretching, and relaxing!
    AWesome!!!! Keep it up!

darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Okay guys its been about 10 months I think since my surgery for a left side hernia. Talked to the doctor about this and the only advice they've gave me is ice and anti inflamatorys, but the scar tissue around the mess still gets pretty painful at times. Last night it really flared up while I was setting down eating supper and typing on the computer. It seems like everytime I move a certain way to "upset" the scar tissue and staples (that dont feel like they have dissolved yet) it flares up for at least a week.

Any of you guys experiencing anything like this after having this much time to heal? and if so what are some things to help deal with it?

unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000) unc91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so i was deadlifting the other day and felt this pain in one of my testicles. i took a break, felt fine, and finished my workout. then yesterday i was lifting and felt a slight pain in my lower abdomen and left the gym early. when i got home it started hurting quite a bit, mainly when i stood up straight or moved a certain way. this morning i feel a lot better but im still worried. so..

is it a hernia?

it seems to be healing.. will it fully recover by itself?

how much time before i can start lifting again?

will rep anyone who can help
    Paula Deen Crew

I don't feel pain because there is no more weakness left to leave my body

Inguinal Hernia

Originally Posted by unc91 View Post
    so i was deadlifting the other day and felt this pain in one of my testicles. i took a break, felt fine, and finished my workout. then yesterday i was lifting and felt a slight pain in my lower abdomen and left the gym early. when i got home it started hurting quite a bit, mainly when i stood up straight or moved a certain way. this morning i feel a lot better but im still worried. so..

is it a hernia?

it seems to be healing.. will it fully recover by itself?

how much time before i can start lifting again?

will rep anyone who can help
    The pain in the lower abdomen and testicle maybe an early sign of an inguinal hernia. Those are the same symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. It has been 4 weeks since I had surgery to correct the inguinal hernia on my left side and before the operation I went to the doctor and I did not have an obvious hernia/protrusion. The doctor performed the "turn you head and cough" exam and confirmed that he felt a small hernia.

I attempted to put off the surgery for 2 months to try and rest and see if it would heal on its own. However, I went back to work, lifting, etc. My pain came back and I decided to have the surgery last month. My recovery is going decently so far. (Could be better, still sore randomly).

My advice for you is to see your family physician or a general practitioner you trust and ask for a physical exam, tell them about your pain and what aggravates it. If it is a hernia, it will only get bigger and more painful the longer you ignore it. It is a good idea to get a check up to either confirm or rule out the possibility of a hernia.

Good luck, and I hope everything goes okay.

Originally Posted by darkdragon99 View Post
    Okay guys its been about 10 months I think since my surgery for a left side hernia. Talked to the doctor about this and the only advice they've gave me is ice and anti inflamatorys, but the scar tissue around the mess still gets pretty painful at times. Last night it really flared up while I was setting down eating supper and typing on the computer. It seems like everytime I move a certain way to "upset" the scar tissue and staples (that dont feel like they have dissolved yet) it flares up for at least a week.

Any of you guys experiencing anything like this after having this much time to heal? and if so what are some things to help deal with it?
    It has only been 4 weeks since my operation, I had a laproscopic procedure preformed. I have not done much exercising besides walking around the neighborhood and around my college campus. I have started to do dishes and loads of laundry at home (trying to avoid lifting over 10 pounds) the doctor cleared me for up to 20 lb limit for lifting as of now.. But after an active day, doing dishes and putting up clothes, my mesh gets a sore/tightness feeling. Doesn't really hurt that bad, but it feels funny. Hopefully my issues with that go away in the next month or so.

You should tell your surgeon the pain you are experiencing and if he ignores you or plays it off like it isn't a big deal I recommend finding a doctor that cares and will take the time to listen to your wants and needs.

JBYKE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glad I found this forum...Amateur weight lifter, just started my regimen again, and today found out today from my family doctor that I have an INGUINAL HERNIA ; probably had it for months, but aggravated it). I console myself with - there are many worse diagnoses out there, so I'll take it in stride.
    Considering some of BRAHs and other's suggestions, I will take it easy now until a full recovery.
    Asked my doctor--Can I lift, seated curls at least - No.
    Run? Hmmm, No.
    Sex with wife---OK unless painful- hey, its painful without it !

So hello, indoor pool, lol.
    Don't have a surgery date set yet, but I want it sooner than later.
    good news is- the change of diet to 'healthy eating' should not be affected by this- albeit, maybe more soup after surgery (see straining- pain, posted by others- yikes)

Stay fit, bros (and gals).

JB

darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It has only been 4 weeks since my operation, I had a laproscopic procedure preformed. I have not done much exercising besides walking around the neighborhood and around my college campus. I have started to do dishes and loads of laundry at home (trying to avoid lifting over 10 pounds) the doctor cleared me for up to 20 lb limit for lifting as of now.. But after an active day, doing dishes and putting up clothes, my mesh gets a sore/tightness feeling. Doesn't really hurt that bad, but it feels funny. Hopefully my issues with that go away in the next month or so.

You should tell your surgeon the pain you are experiencing and if he ignores you or plays it off like it isn't a big deal I recommend finding a doctor that cares and will take the time to listen to your wants and needs.
    I've actually talked to the doc that did the surgery and seen another doctor more than once about this. I just went back to make for sure it hadnt ripped open like 2 days ago. They say its just the scar tissue pain apparently. My pain faded away around 8 weeks after surgery but it takes spells of coming and going now.

Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by darkdragon99 View Post
    I've actually talked to the doc that did the surgery and seen another doctor more than once about this. I just went back to make for sure it hadnt ripped open like 2 days ago. They say its just the scar tissue pain apparently. My pain faded away around 8 weeks after surgery but it takes spells of coming and going now.
    Did you have mesh, if so, was it synthetic?

Did you have laproscopic or open?

"Chronic groin pain (Inguinodynia) following inguinal hernia repair is a significant, though under-reported problem. Mild pain lasting for a few days is common following mesh inguinal hernia repair. However, moderate to severe pain persisting more than 3 mo after inguinal herniorrhaphy should be considered as pathological. The major reasons for chronic groin pain have been identified as neuropathic cause due to inguinal nerve(s) damage or non-neuropathic cause due to mesh or other related factors. The symptom complex of chronic groin pain varies from a dull ache to sharp shooting pain along the distribution of inguinal nerves. Thorough history and meticulous clinical examination should be performed to identify the exact cause of chronic groin pain, as there is no single test to confirm the aetiology behind the pain or to point out the exact nerve involved. Various studies have been performed to look at the difference in chronic groin pain rates with the use of mesh vs non-mesh repair, use of heavyweight vs lightweight mesh and mesh fixation with sutures vs. glue. Though there is no convincing evidence favouring one over the other, lightweight meshes are generally preferred because of their lesser foreign body reaction and better tolerance by the patients.
    Identification of all three nerves has been shown to be an important factor in reducing chronic groin pain, though there are no well conducted randomised studies to recommend the benefits of nerve excision vs preservation. Both non-surgical and surgical options have been tried for chronic groin pain, with their consequent risks of analgesic side-effects, recurrent pain, recurrent hernia and significant sensory loss. By far the best treatment for chronic groin pain is to avoid bestowing this on the patient by careful intra-operative handling of inguinal structures and better patient counselling pre- and post-herniorraphy."

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:21528050
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    -Twain

brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brosenthal91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    While I do not have an inguinal hernia, I think I have a small umbilical hernia. I went to the doctor and he said it could very well be a small hernia. He told me to get an ultrasound of my stomach and I did, they saw nothing. He said it could nontheless still be a small hernia, and just to let it be. It most likely came from being constipated, not sure though.

Well, it started feeling better the last two days, but today I did a fairly light workout and the sensation of discomfort came back. Not sure if it was the workout or eating a big meal, but am unsure of how to prevent pain in the future. Am I not supposed to lift the rest of my life?

Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated!
    Last edited by brosenthal91; 12-22-2012 at 09:15 PM.

handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10) handgrenade is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So glad I found this thread! I had my right inguinal hernia repaired on November 1, 2012, original injury happened about 45-60 days prior... The day it hit me what I was feeling was a very bad day. When my surgeon confirmed it was worse, but not being able to work out in any way was by far the worst of it. It was so horrible and depressing that I never want to do this again, and I understand the paranoia you guys mentioned. Do any of you guys have the random sharp pain where the mesh was placed, or feel pressure on the mesh when you cough really hard? My doc told me I am fine and it's just the protrusion pressing against the mesh and the sharp pain is where the scar tissue that is forming is being stretched, but I am still paranoid as hell. Anyway thank you for starting this thread TS.

Originally Posted by handgrenade View Post
    So glad I found this thread! I had my right inguinal hernia repaired on November 1, 2012, original injury happened about 45-60 days prior... The day it hit me what I was feeling was a very bad day. When my surgeon confirmed it was worse, but not being able to work out in any way was by far the worst of it. It was so horrible and depressing that I never want to do this again, and I understand the paranoia you guys mentioned. Do any of you guys have the random sharp pain where the mesh was placed, or feel pressure on the mesh when you cough really hard? My doc told me I am fine and it's just the protrusion pressing against the mesh and the sharp pain is where the scar tissue that is forming is being stretched, but I am still paranoid as hell. Anyway thank you for starting this thread TS.
    Yes I feel stuff like this where my mesh is alot now. Its been 10 months since my surgery. I remember the first cold I got after my surgery, I couldnt believe how much the scar tissue hurt when I coughed.

Vitakka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitakka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitakka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitakka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitakka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitakka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Still holding out hope, but my suspicions of an inguinal hernia might have been confirmed.

About 6 months ago I felt a very minor tearing/burning sensation below my belly button on my right side while squatting. My form was pretty terrible then since I was new to squatting, and I think I was doing ~165lbs when I felt it. Immediately stopped and took a break from lower body for 2 weeks, went back and was 100%. No problems AT ALL. Even played a whole rugby season, a hernia never even crossed my mind.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, and I was performing my first set of heavy squats (5x5 of 90% of 1RM) and I felt the same pain on my right side right below my waistband. This was my 3rd week of using a different squat form, trying to go ATG. Previously, I had REALLY good form when I would only go parallel, with a 1RM of 315. Later, after more research, I realized my "new" form was off (used a low bar technique while doing high bar), which probably caused the pain. I stopped my workout and only did upper body for the rest of the day. No pain, no bulge, no symptoms. Thought I should go see a doctor anyways, just in case.

Fast forward to today, I saw an NP at my school. Told her what happened and where the pain was when I was squatting, and she's like "are you sure? There's nothing here. It's probably muscular". Said she had to do a hernia check anyways. Put some pressure up into my sack (felt weird as hell), said she didn't notice anything. However, when I did the head turn and cough, she said it was a little different on each side. She referred me to a surgeon which hopefully I'll see next week to get another look at it.

Hopefully it's just an anomaly and won't actually need surgery. Was just about to start cutting for the first time after being purely dedicated to strength for the past year. Nervous as hell. Is it possible for it to be a misdiagnosis?

missapatchu4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) missapatchu4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) missapatchu4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) missapatchu4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) missapatchu4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) missapatchu4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Inspired

I want to thank everyone for your stories it's really inspired me. My daughter was born a week before i turned thirty and decided this was the time in my life to prioritize my health. I lost 64 pounds and gained significant muscle mass. At the age of thirty I thought it would be tough to gain mass and I finally got into a routine that worked for me and kept me motivated then the hernia. I'm excited to see I can return to the gym a continue making progress.

For anyone putting off surgery, pain or not get it done. Your delaying the inevitable and even though you can live years with a hernia you'll typically heal better when your younger. The first two days were excruciating but the pain lessens exponentially with each passing day.

Some advice I got from my own research and wasn't told. Obviously increase your protein but also get supplements of vitamin c, calcium, and zinc. Those are key vitamins/ minerals for your body's wound healing process. If you smoke or dip quit or switch to lozenges or patches. Free radicals in tobacco not only zap vitamin c but also interfere multiple stages of wound healing.

I just ended week two and plan on getting back on teadmill this week for brisk walks. Jog at week four adding dynamic stretching and yoga. Week six add push ups and other body weight exercises. I plan on getting back to lifting week 8. I will start slow and focus on form and technique. I will definitely comeback to this thread as I'm sure ill have future questions and anxieties

Thanks folks

danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10) danieljo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, I'm actually a registered nurse, so I suggest, its actually a good thing to apply simple exercises for the area of where you had a surgery. It strengthens the affected area. But my warning is not to over do it. Start with simple and light exercises, then maintain it that way. This will help you as a start to achieve what you want, like going hard at the gym later on.

Get well!

Hifiguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hifiguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hifiguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hifiguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hifiguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hifiguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've recently had open inguinal hernia surgery on my left side....... Many thanks to the originator of this post and to all the contributors.

It's been 3 weeks since my surgery and all appears well although I do have some upper thigh hyper sensitivity on my left side and am very numb immediately below the incision. Dr says this should go away with 6 to 8 weeks.... Hopefully he's right as this is honestly scaring the **** out of me.

I can't wait to get back into the gym. I gave gone for the last two days and just walked on the treadmill like a fat lady. Even though I'm getting absolutely zero cardiovascular benefit.... It's oddly reassuring to just BE in the gym again!

eho4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    New to the forum and just thought I would comment here on my hernia experience. At 47 I had been weight lifting and working out steady for years to keep myself in shape, 32" waist and weight 205lbs with low body fat and good muscle mass, felt like a horse and spent a lot of time out on the lake wake boarding, long boarding with my son, doing Cardio, lifting weights, and eating right. I was proud to be 47 and feeling/looking great physically especially compared to others my age.

Then it hit me, after a lower body workout day which included squats I got in my truck to drive to work the next day could not get comfortable in the seat and felt a lot of pain in my groin area. I thought for sure I had tore a muscle or something and took it easy for a few days. The pain didn't ease but got worse to the point where I couldn't stand sitting anymore in my truck or chair at work in the office. I thought to myself, what is this kidney stones or something? Half bent over I went to the local doctors office in pain, at this point I was only comfortable laying down and sometimes even experienced sharp pains that were unbearable.

My first doctors visit they took x rays and ran a bunch of tests and sent me home with Motrin pain killer and said I pulled something and should be fine in a few days. I went for a week suffering and headed back to the doctor again, I explained this couldn't be a pulled muscle and had to be something else. They ran more tests and checked me and again sent me home and told me to take Motrin. Several days later I went back again, by this time I couldn't even put a pair of jeans on. I asked for my medical records to take to another doctor and was given 5 different forms to fill out and told it would take 30 days to get my records. I explained I couldn't wait that long as I needed to see another doctor NOW because I had gotten to the point to where I couldn't go to work anymore due to the pain.

Well I didn't get my records needless to say and went to another doctor, they ran tests did an x ray again, told me my blood pressure was very high (due to the stress/pain) and to take it easy and they would call me. 4 more days, no phone call. I went back to their office again. This time I was in the examining room and male nurse came in who was pretty bulked up. He put on the rubber gloves and pushed his fingers up into my scrotum feeling around the muscle wall and said, yep, you have double hernia's and three rips that are large and explained the pain was due to my intestines coming through the rips in the muscle wall and getting pinched and that I didn't need a doctor but needed to see a surgeon immediately. I checked with my fingers afterwards and could feel the holes.

The surgeon said it would require two surgeries and he would repair the worst side first. I asked why not both at once, he said this is not recommended due to possible complications and the severity of my hernias. Underwent the first surgery in Dec 2010 and the second 30 days later Jan 2011. Surgeon stated I was in great shape and should be back to normal in 30 days. They cut me on both sides about 4.5" incisions to do the repairs.

So of course right away I started up again, taking it easy I ran on the elliptical, jogged, and tried lifting light weights. Every time I did the pain the following day was terrible and it felt like I had golf balls stuffed in my groin, it was so bad I couldn't sit comfortable in my chair at work for any extended period. I kept trying but was worried I would just damage myself again and speaking with a friend who is a few years older than I he said take it easy as he has been in for them 3 times. Well due to the fear of injuring myself again and the crazy medical bills I incurred I decided to take it easy.

1 year went by way too fast, I started loosing muscle mass really fast from inactivity and started gaining weight around the middle and couldn't stand myself. I started back slowly using an ab lounge, elliptical and lifting light weights. Took up bowling as well which seemed to help as I was bowling between 9 and 15 games a week. After about a year and a half I was down in weight to 175, I lost that much weight and muscle mass but still had my belly fat that I couldn't stand.

After 1.5 years I started back lifting more, bought a spin bike as well and now at the 2 year mark I'm feeling really good about myself again. I've gotten back into my full routine but am still afraid of dead lifts and squats at my age and financially I don't want to go through the hernia routine again! My belly fast is down now and I'm not feeling fat anymore, my muscle mass is returning quicker than I thought it would and I'm back to 190 lbs and my waist is at 32" again. Shirts are tight and I'm feeling great but still get discomfort in my groin. I'm really wondering if I'll ever feel normal again. I'm almost 50 now and have been diagnosed with PAD and was getting cramps in my legs from lack of blood supply to the muscles! Since that I've researched it, started taking 86mg aspirin, fish oil, vitamins and have increased my Cardio which has helped my blood pressure to come down and helped with my circulation issues tremendously, I'm not feeling the cramps which is a good thing.

I think when it comes to hernia's recovery it is going to depend on the individual, your age, and the severity. From my experience I will just say take it easy and go slow if your older, if your younger let your body be the judge, regardless don't push to hard too quickly and risk re injuring yourself!

Last note... I have full coverage health insurance through the company at 380 a month for the family. 6,000 family deductible and they only pay 80%. Total cost of both surgeries $33,000. My bill was $16,000, I was SHOCKED. I just hope I never have to go through it again and wouldn't wish it on anyone!
    Last edited by eho4; 01-12-2013 at 06:41 PM.

8 weeks

It has been 8 weeks since my laproscopic inguinal hernia surgery, I have returned back to work.

I have started lifting weights again at the gym. Before my surgery I was 155 pounds 9% BF. Now I am around 140 pounds. I stopped lifting in sept 2012 after my injury and did not have the surgery until November.

Max lifts: bench-245x1, deadlift-375x2, squat-275x3 (before hernia @155lbs)

My workout consists of lightweight 10-20 pound dumbbells and have been focusing on breathing and lifting technique. Surprisingly I have been sore the day after by doing just 3 sets of 15 reps (slow and controlled, focus on the muscle group with your mind and feel the pump!)

As of now I have only done upper body workouts and have avoided lower body/core exercises due to pain in my left testicle (where my hernia occurred).

I returned to my surgeon yesterday to have a double check and the doctor said there is no hernia it is patched up. The pain I am experiencing is from the testicle core being inflamed and Irritated from the surgery. He told me to take 1 aleve a day to help reduce inflammation and pain. And recommended a corticosteroid, but I declined because I dislike taking medications. However, I have tried the aleve once a day and has helped relieved the pain and swelling a little in the swelling. Hopefully time will heal it.

Anyways, for cardio I have been slacking and only have been walking on the treadmill. Jogging gives me a numb tingling where the mesh is located but no intense pain. So I have been avoiding running.

Upperbody workouts are going good so far, no pain in mesh or incision area while lifting the monstrous 10 pound dumbbells. Haha!

I am probably babying myself a little too much and could probably push myself harder. But, I'm comfortable with where I am at. I don't plan on powerlifting again. I would like to do squats and Deadlifts again one day, but I'm a little paranoid and scared of reinjury.

Hernias are no fun, and I never want to go through the surgery again, so my personal health and safety is more important than lifting heavy things haha. I think my goal is to lift for aesthetics and health from now on.

Good luck to everyone and don't give up! Keep putting time into the gym. Physical activity will only makes things better if performed correctly.

IUFan7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have major femoral hernia on the left and an inguinal hernia on both sides. Its going to suck not being able to lift and basically becoming a couch potato for a few days. Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, wish me luck guys.
    Current:
    Weight: 161.7lb
    BF%: 11%
    Bench: 1.25X BW
    Squat: 1.68x BW
    Deadlift: 2x BW

Goals:
    Weight: 170lb
    BF%: 8%
    Bench: 1.5x BW
    Squat: 2x BW
    Deadlift: 2.5xBW

Ouch

Originally Posted by IUFan7 View Post
    I have major femoral hernia on the left and an inguinal hernia on both sides. Its going to suck not being able to lift and basically becoming a couch potato for a few days. Scheduled for surgery tomorrow, wish me luck guys.
    3 hernias? Ouch. Is the surgeon going to fix all of them in one surgery? Stay hydrated, eat your calories/vitamins, try walking around the house 1 or 2 days after your operation. Oh and start taking 1-3 dulcolax the moment you get home. Constipation is the worst pain. You will be sore!

Good luck and post if you have anymore questions!

Robs467 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just had my inguinal hernia confirmed and am having surgery on 1/23/13. I am nervous about recovery time and being 100% becuse I am a police officer and my safety is based on my fitness. Thanks for all the info. I may pm you.
    R. PERRY

Robs467 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hifiguy View Post
    I've recently had open inguinal hernia surgery on my left side....... Many thanks to the originator of this post and to all the contributors.

It's been 3 weeks since my surgery and all appears well although I do have some upper thigh hyper sensitivity on my left side and am very numb immediately below the incision. Dr says this should go away with 6 to 8 weeks.... Hopefully he's right as this is honestly scaring the **** out of me.

I can't wait to get back into the gym. I gave gone for the last two days and just walked on the treadmill like a fat lady. Even though I'm getting absolutely zero cardiovascular benefit.... It's oddly reassuring to just BE in the gym again!
    my dr told me some numbness can be permanent, but not to worry about it. I dunno how accurate that is but just fyi.
    R. PERRY

KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, fortunately I have noticed any definite signs of it getting worse but of coarse it's not getting any better. But that all totally makes sense. I was suppose to get it done way back in September but there was a miscommunication on the exact date and I ended up missing it. I'm on a free program in San Francisco that I qualified for to get the surgery done and I'm just assuming I don't get priority or anything. I don't have insurance so this program was my only option really. I need to go in this week to get a definite date for the next scheduled surgery though.

And ok, that's good to know. Yeah I've just been doing body weight exercises and stopped heavy lifting. I'm thinking of doing light weights tho, high rep as I would imagine it being easier on the area. I'm not very sure how bad mine is though and I've actually had suspision of having an inguinal hernia developing on the other side so I think I should get that checked too. Thankyou for the reply

What was the "free program" that you used for the hernia surgery? I think that I may need it pretty sure, but don't have much in the way of insurance...... You can email me at kmanahan at yahoo dot com. Your info will be appreciated! Thanks Kerry

KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KerryNJen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Free Program for hernia surgery

Originally Posted by fisch28 View Post
    Yeah, fortunately I have noticed any definite signs of it getting worse but of coarse it's not getting any better. But that all totally makes sense. I was suppose to get it done way back in September but there was a miscommunication on the exact date and I ended up missing it. I'm on a free program in San Francisco that I qualified for to get the surgery done and I'm just assuming I don't get priority or anything. I don't have insurance so this program was my only option really. I need to go in this week to get a definite date for the next scheduled surgery though.

And ok, that's good to know. Yeah I've just been doing body weight exercises and stopped heavy lifting. I'm thinking of doing light weights tho, high rep as I would imagine it being easier on the area. I'm not very sure how bad mine is though and I've actually had suspision of having an inguinal hernia developing on the other side so I think I should get that checked too. Thankyou for the reply

What was the "free program" that you used for the hernia surgery? I think that I may need it pretty sure, but don't have much in the way of insurance...... You can email me at kmanahan at yahoo dot com. Your info will be appreciated! Thanks Kerry

Soldier24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys, glad I found this post as I just underwent open mesh repair surgery for a left inguinal hernia last week. The first few days were difficult, especially when it came to getting in and out of bed and walking to the bathroom to pee. I was off the painkillers by the fourth day mostly as a means of being able to have a bowel movement which finally came with the help of a laxative. It will officially be one week tomorrow, and i'm still feeling quite a bit of pain. Although I can walk easier, it's still uncomfortable, especially right after getting up after laying down or sitting for extended periods of time. I'm trying to walk around as much as I can as from what i've been reading about other people's experiences, it makes the recovery go faster. Coughing hurts like HELL! I coughed a couple of times and it was extruciating plus it made me fear that I messed something up. Anyways, like most of you on here, i'm very athletic and active and am itching to get back in the gym in five weeks. Doc said that after six weeks you can continue with any sport or physical activity, because that's how long the mesh takes to heal.

It has been 8 weeks since my laproscopic inguinal hernia surgery, I have returned back to work.

I have started lifting weights again at the gym. Before my surgery I was 155 pounds 9% BF. Now I am around 140 pounds. I stopped lifting in sept 2012 after my injury and did not have the surgery until November.

Max lifts: bench-245x1, deadlift-375x2, squat-275x3 (before hernia @155lbs)

My workout consists of lightweight 10-20 pound dumbbells and have been focusing on breathing and lifting technique. Surprisingly I have been sore the day after by doing just 3 sets of 15 reps (slow and controlled, focus on the muscle group with your mind and feel the pump!)

As of now I have only done upper body workouts and have avoided lower body/core exercises due to pain in my left testicle (where my hernia occurred).

I returned to my surgeon yesterday to have a double check and the doctor said there is no hernia it is patched up. The pain I am experiencing is from the testicle core being inflamed and Irritated from the surgery. He told me to take 1 aleve a day to help reduce inflammation and pain. And recommended a corticosteroid, but I declined because I dislike taking medications. However, I have tried the aleve once a day and has helped relieved the pain and swelling a little in the swelling. Hopefully time will heal it.

Anyways, for cardio I have been slacking and only have been walking on the treadmill. Jogging gives me a numb tingling where the mesh is located but no intense pain. So I have been avoiding running.

Upperbody workouts are going good so far, no pain in mesh or incision area while lifting the monstrous 10 pound dumbbells. Haha!

I am probably babying myself a little too much and could probably push myself harder. But, I'm comfortable with where I am at. I don't plan on powerlifting again. I would like to do squats and Deadlifts again one day, but I'm a little paranoid and scared of reinjury.

Hernias are no fun, and I never want to go through the surgery again, so my personal health and safety is more important than lifting heavy things haha. I think my goal is to lift for aesthetics and health from now on.

Good luck to everyone and don't give up! Keep putting time into the gym. Physical activity will only makes things better if performed correctly.
    I'm in the same boat man as far as increasing my rep range from now on. I've underwent a rib injury and now an inguinal hernia from powerlifting so to me personally, sticking to a bodybuilding rep range is more attainable and safe for me. That's not to say that injuries or hernias can't occur with higher reps, but i'd say there's much less of a chance.
    Also, i think your doing the smart thing by paying attention to breathing techniques. So many guys in the gym, myself included, forget to breathe properly during sets, which can easily be the cause of built up intra abdominal pressure and ultimately a hernia! I plan to really work on that when I get back in the gym!

Originally Posted by brosenthal91 View Post
    While I do not have an inguinal hernia, I think I have a small umbilical hernia. I went to the doctor and he said it could very well be a small hernia. He told me to get an ultrasound of my stomach and I did, they saw nothing. He said it could nontheless still be a small hernia, and just to let it be. It most likely came from being constipated, not sure though.

Well, it started feeling better the last two days, but today I did a fairly light workout and the sensation of discomfort came back. Not sure if it was the workout or eating a big meal, but am unsure of how to prevent pain in the future. Am I not supposed to lift the rest of my life?

Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated!
    Have it checked out by a general surgeon that's experienced with hernia procedures! He'll be able to tell you with a physicaly examination if it's a hernia. I went to a general surgeon to get my inguinal hernia checked out initially and he discovered an umbilical hernia that I would have never known I had. It never bothered me or anything and there was no visible evidence; he just found it by a physical examination. I therefore killed two birds with one stone and had both hernias repaired.
    My advice would be to get it checked out and see what the surgeon says. If your active, it'll probably get worse, so it would not be a bad decision to get it repaired, especially when it's small, since your recovery will be nice and easy!