Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you do decide to have the surgery then I would not rush getting back into lifting. Take a break as long as the doctor recommends.

HepworthA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Need some insight!

Hey guys, first post.

This morning, I got home from work, (grave shift) and as I was washing my hands, I noticed in the mirror that my chest looks quite a bit more defined since I switched training goals from strength to endurance training (Tough Mudder in October) with weights, calisthenics, and running.

So, I went for a bit of a vanity pose, just lightly flexing my arms, chest, and upper abs to see how it's looking, and I felt something in my left inguinal area that I could only describe as a sudden "blip," with a split-second feeling which reminded me only of one of those slippery snake toys (youtube or google image search) when you squeeze the seam over the exterior of the toy. Then that was it.

I couldn't feel or see any difference down there afterward, so I promptly crashed. When I woke up this evening for my workout (today was legs and abs, lightly weighted, fast, explosive, high reps), I completed the workout without even noticing anything, but something reminded me again later, before work, and since then I've been feeling around and can't find anything unusual, even when I cough. I can maybe feel something there, just a very specific pressure spot, but no burning or pain, and slight enough that I venture it could even be my imagination, but I am worried it's a hernia. I don't have enough money to get it checked out (if I can help it,) especially if it IS just my imagination.

Seeing as how most of you have had inguinal hernias, can you give me any advice? I offer reps and many thanks!

Additional details: I have a posterior rotated left ilium, if that matters. Did physical therapy for it for 4 months. It didn't reposition my ilium, like we'd hoped, but it left me with a much stronger core. (not abs specifically) We got up to the max on many of the machines there and the therapist was like, "It's no longer noticeable enough to be considered abnormal. Just keep doing the workouts I gave you at home and you'll be fine." The therapist can't really see it, so I think it's pretty minor. Still... It's there.
    Also, I've 2 friends with inguinal hernias, and it felt like it was pretty much the exact same spot, which is why I'm here.
    Last edited by HepworthA; 07-27-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Additional details

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Going to see a doctor today. I'm fairly certain I've got one.
    FML

darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) darkdragon99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Man you could have just strained an abdominal muscle. I had a similar feeling last year in my left lower ab( above where I got the hernia this year). The doctor said it was a strained muscle but not a hernia. When I got the hernia this year I didnt have alot of swelling. Oddly enough after the surgery on the left side this year my right side has been swollen since like week 2 after surgery. Even have pain there for no real reason. Been to the doc 3 or 4 times and they say theres nothing wrong with it.

my advice is if it bothers you more than a week get it checked out.

BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BabelFish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post

Had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair done laparoscopically on Jan 24, 2012.

Week 1: pain meds helped a lot. Most discomfort came from bloating, and GI problems. slept in recliner first 3 days, then in bed.
    Week 2: switched to tylenol extra strength, started walking, driving, shopping, etc...
    Week 3: no more pain meds; still had soreness in the lower abs area from sleeping on my belly.
    Week 4: resumed sexual activity; was a little painful but no big deal. Still having pain on the right side when sneezing, coughing, blowing nose (maybe from the internal staples being stretched).
    Week 5: pain on lower right side of abs continues, waking me up in the middle of the night.
    Week 6: acute pain on lower right side of abs, reproduced when stretching, sneezing, coughing, straining. Contacted surgeon and he said I might have a nerve entrapment (from staples or scar tissue). Recommended prescription strength NSAID with hot compresses over the pain area. Will follow this regimen for two weeks and report back.
    Week 7: After two weeks of Rx strength NSAID, pain in right obliques/groin muscles decreased significantly. Still feeling slight pain 2-3 on a scale of 1-10, mostly comparable to oblique/lower abs DOMS. PS: NSAID screwed up my GI system, causing heartburn, reflux, and indigestion, and caused me some nervous system issues like anxiety, restlessness, panic, and irritability...
    Week 8: DOMS-like symptoms in right oblique/lower abs/groin muscle continues...probably just from muscle trauma...I recall the surgeon telling me that they had a hard time ripping through my hard muscle tissue during the laparoscopy.
    Week 9: DOMS-like discomfort continues
    Week 10: DOMS-like discomfort continues. Vigorous sexual activity still causing some pain.
    Week 11: Pain in right oblique/groin area continues. Intensifies during and after sex. Area bulges when bladder full or bowel full (similar symptoms to pre-surgery).
    Week 12: Went back to surgeon. His statements: "You athletes have no f*cking fat so I had to staple the patches on muscle! This is probably pain from the staples being stretched. The repair is fine, the patches are in place, there is no re-occurence of any herina, and you have rock solid abs. The bulge is probably just your full bladder because you're thin and ripped. Take more NSAID, do hot moist compresses, do stretching exercises, no abdominal workouts, get her on top during sex. It's been less than 3 months, it'll take time to heal completely. If no improvement, we'll try injections to numb the nerves".
    Went back to gym 3 months after surgery. Started from scratch, with focus on cardio, stretching, and low weights. Gradually increased weights for the next 3 months. It's now 6 months after surgery and I'm back to 80% of my strength. I still occasionally feel discomfort and DOMS-like symptoms but a lot less than the first 3 months. Sexual activity still hurts (especially at climax); I'm seeing a urologist to see if it's bladder related.

ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    Went back to gym 3 months after surgery. Started from scratch, with focus on cardio, stretching, and low weights. Gradually increased weights for the next 3 months. It's now 6 months after surgery and I'm back to 80% of my strength. I still occasionally feel discomfort and DOMS-like symptoms but a lot less than the first 3 months. Sexual activity still hurts (especially at climax); I'm seeing a urologist to see if it's bladder related.
    The sexual activity pain is VERY normal. Sex is very core driven. It took me a good 6 months to be completely comfortable again doing various positions. lol.

Yeah same here with the sex pains lol and doing abs and any kind of new exercises still seem to bother it a bit.

Im really alot more concerned with the pain I feel on the opposite side that I had sugery on. I still havent been given a good reason for that pain.

ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShoulderBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The time when I felt absolutely no pain with the following exercises was:

Deadlifts - 1 Year
    Squats - 1 year, 3 months
    Abs - 1 Year, 9 months

This is how long it took for me to have an insane, go all the way workout with these exercises. When I started Squats and Deadlifts after 6 months, I would either feel pain or discomfort during my sets, or I would have pain in the incision area for 2 weeks. It wasn't until over a year, when I could do deadlifts and squats with no pain and no after effects.

holy crap thats along time. much longer than the doctors supposedly estimate. I got a feeling it will take a similar amount of time for my pain to fade away. I ran sunday for the first time in 7-8 months and man im in a ton of pain now.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had open surgery with mesh sewn in. Started lifting light after 3 weeks, went heavy after 6 weeks and was 100% after 12 weeks. Either train hard or look for excuses not to.

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    I had open surgery with mesh sewn in. Started lifting light after 3 weeks, went heavy after 6 weeks and was 100% after 12 weeks. Either train hard or look for excuses not to.
    Out of curiousity how long did your doctor recommend not lifting? They told me not to lift over 5 lbs for 6 weeks and then the next couple of weeks following to still not train really hard.

I wouldnt have waited so long on running and legs excersises but I was unfortunate enough to have to deal with 3 injuries at once.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My surgeon told me to stop lifting heavy. You can see I didn't listen too well

You mean to stop lifting heavy permenately? And when you lifted any in the first few months did it give you any pain?

He meant never again. My 1800+ powerlifting total came after my surgery. I just went by feel as I got back into it. If I felt a pressure build up, I stopped. There will be some pain as scar tissue breaks up during the first few months.

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    He meant never again. My 1800+ powerlifting total came after my surgery. I just went by feel as I got back into it. If I felt a pressure build up, I stopped. There will be some pain as scar tissue breaks up during the first few months.
    I got much stronger in every lift after my surgery.... I never made an "excuse" for not training hard. I trained hard anyways. I can count on two hands how many times I went back to the doctor for him to check if I got another hernia because I was always going through pain for the first year.

BUT, it wasn't until after the first year that I didn't feel any pain, discomfort, pressure, or anything. I can go all out nuts in the gym now and I won't feel a thing on my incision area.

My lifts went from:
    S - 245 --> 275
    B - 245 --> 335
    D - 365 --> 515

For some reason it's taking me forever for my squats to get into the 400's like they should be. It's annoying and frustrating.

Well Im glad things have worked out good for you guys, it kinda gives me hope that mine will improve eventually. Right now Im at 5 1/2 months after surgery and running/abs and doing martial arts put me in a ton of pain from scar tissue. I still have pain when lifting real heavy but not like the horrible pain after abs.

I guess I'll have to just tough out the pain from scar tissue.

SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000)
    It took me half a year or more to get to where I could twist and do boxing and stuff.. I thought it never would heal up to where I could get back to lifting but it did... I still feel mine a little bit doing stuff like leg raises, barbell curls, squats but not bad enough to keep me from doing them, I feel it more taking a dump then anything, always put my hand over the spot of the surgery as a good hard crap has me sweating afraid it will tear again like it did before..

nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does this sound like a hernia?

I have a bump in the crease between my leg and groin it is closer to my leg through close to the top of the crease.

I have one is almost same some on left side. It mainly hurts after taking a dump and straining or after leg day.

I also feel like the pain travels to my lower ab area.

I can't push it in but it doesn't feel like a lymph node and u can't see it with out feeling the area.

Any help bros? I'm seeing a doc in about 2 weeks. (****ty wait times in Canada)
    Last edited by nitr0overload; 08-04-2012 at 10:23 PM.

It sounds like it may or may not be one. But Im no doctor. I would be careful until you see the doc. Shortly after surgery on my left side this year my right side got kind of swollen as well, scared the crap outa me. I also have some pain from the right side now. Doctors have told me multiple times that there isnt a hernia on that side. So apparently you can have a bulge without it being a hernia.

Man I hope you dont have one though, its not fun.

Tomsomerville has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can i box after hernia surgery

Just really come out of the 1st week of getting on my feet and i can say im feeling well in myself but im giving training a break for a while.
    Atleast 1 - 2 months before i even look at a bag or bar. Is there anyone who has the same problem though about boxing after this surgery?

Thanks.

eljedi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Inguinal Hernia Recovery Experience.

Hi chaps,

Wishing a speedy recovery to all of us that have gone through this. I've been thinking about writing on the blog, mainly to share some feedback and allay some concerns. When i was first diagnosed with the hernia, the first thing I did was to go online and read about it. Unfortunately, 80% of comments are negative, with some borderline horror stories. I was truly gutted and fearful - yet there's not much else to do but get the surgery done. I have to say that talking to other people and my experience so far itself, there's clearly a negative bias on the posts we've all been reading. This is understandable; when things have been OK or there are no big problems there's less incentive to ask questions or write about what you've been through. My hernia popped-up after doing a set of squats. From then til surgery, it wasn't a major deal -- just some mild discomfort but it was there all the time. I still went to they gym, but focused more on upper body and, oddly, there were no problems doing crunches.

I had a lap surgery (with "TEP" procedure, there's another variant called TAPP or something like that, I have no clue what's the difference between the two), mesh wasn't stitched or stapled.

Week 1: stayed at home. First two days where of significant pain, especially when sitting down as i believe the mesh hits around some nerves and the body's getting used to a foreign object. Took anti-inflammatory (whole week) and pain killers for the first 3-4 days (codeine). Painkillers didn't cause any secondary effects. Ate fruits like a monkey and drank at least a litre of water a day, hence going to the loo was never an issue. I read a lot about avoiding constipation and sometimes ppl needing an aenema; nothing like that in my case. Indeed, sneezing was shockingly painful, coughing and laughing too but not a big deal. By day 4 I started walking around, 5-10 mins strolls.

Week 2: stayed home. Feeling better, so I went walking to do some grocery shopping. About 20mins walk each. In the afternoon I felt sore in the area where the mesh is, and perhaps the shopping bags were a bit on the heavier side than what the doc recommended. I was advised not to lift anything heavier than 5kg for the first few weeks. My left ball is very sensitive, no swelling but have to be careful when moving around as it causes some sore, numb pain. It sounds ridiculous, but i reckon you can't tell what's happening inside the body, and causing internal bleeding must be avoided. Also by the end of the week it was pretty clear that one of my incisions (the one right under the belly button) was infected; yellow liquid coming out for 2-3 days and very sensitive to touch. I even felt some discomfort by the touch of my shirt when walking.

Week 3: went to work. Also went to the doc that Monday. Quick check up, removed some stitches (didn't hurt at all), did something on the infected incision (inserted some a thin, tube-like, cotton thingy with a nylon thread sticking out) and gave me weekly dosage of antibiotics. I went to the gym on Wedns, it felt good. Basically machine-based workout, very light weights: ~35kg for BP, 10kg for biceps curl; etc. Didn't feel like trying any jogging or doing squats. I'm not in a rush.

Week 4: the incision's infection is gone. I ripped off the nylon thread sticking out of it early in the week as doc instructed. So now all three incisions are closed and looking in good shape. Only the one that was infected is still visible, the other two are almost gone, just a small scar left. Went to the gym twice. Slightly more intensive workout and I can still feel slightly sore in the area where the mesh is. Apart from that, daily life is largely back to normal. Moving about, walking, etc. feels all normal.

And this is where I'm at now. For me, it certainly hasn't been a pleasant experience and comes at a loss of body shape (I lost ~5-6kb in bodyweight so far, and my cardio must be dreadful...). That said, I don't regret doing it (so far). Recovery is a pain, but it's the same for other injuries anyway (I've had sport injuries where the recovery process was much worse). I haven't felt any chronic pain, of which much is written online about these surgeries.

That's it for me. I'm heading to the gym now, btw. My message is: don't be put off by all of what you read on the Internet. This is a surgery, and there will always be issues, some worse than others. But I believe that in general there's a high chance that your surgery and recovery will be 'normal' (and by normal I mean there will be pain for several days, but it'll get better). After a month, I feel that's my case, nor better nor worse, and moving on. I didn't expect to be lifting what I did any time soon, so I'm being patient. So do your research (options, find a good surgeon) and go for it sooner rather than later. Good luck.

SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tomsomerville View Post
    Just really come out of the 1st week of getting on my feet and i can say im feeling well in myself but im giving training a break for a while.
    Atleast 1 - 2 months before i even look at a bag or bar. Is there anyone who has the same problem though about boxing after this surgery?

Thanks.
    You should be able to do boxing, I was lifting heavy though before I was boxing because the twisting of the hips to throw punches really seemed to flare it up for a while and cause pain in the surgery area.. It took me longer to get back to doing boxing then lifting though just keep that in mind..

wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wsrballa14 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had my second inguinal hernia repair on Friday, August 3rd (had the right side done in April). I play college basketball so wanted to get the surgery done ASAP as to miss as little pre-season work as I can. Doc said no lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds for 4 weeks, then no restrictions (at least I had none last time). Here is kind of what I have experienced so far:

Day one and two: Awful pain. Walking to the bathroom like a 90 year old man. Laying on the couch all day long.
    Day three: There is not a constant pain anymore. Walked probably 100 meters this day, otherwise laying on the couch.
    Day four: Begin to experience discomfort/swelling in my testicles. Walked ~150 meters twice, otherwise on the couch. Still hurts to shift around in bed.
    Day seven: Pain is beginning to seriously subside. Can move around with little pain. Walked 400 meters twice, up and around the house as much as before surgery.
    Day eight: Can shift positions in bed without pain. Still discomfort in testicles when I bend over. Jogged about 50 meters, walked the other 350.
    Day eleven: Only pain now is swelling still in my surgery side testicle. Went for a mile jog tonight. Groin is a little sore but it feels good. Can't wait to get back in the weight room.

Planning to up the jogging distance by 50 meters everyday. Looking to get back in the gym and start shooting by day 14. I go back to school August 25th and our official preseason stuff starts August 27th. Hoping to ease my way into the workouts and lifting for two weeks, then back to full strength. Compared to my first surgery, I think my recovery is ahead of where it was the first time.
    Last edited by wsrballa14; 08-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.

TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaylorM31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Indirect Inguinal Hernia Lapro Mesh Repair

Hey guys, I have been diagnosed with a left indirect inguinal hernia (type of hernia that protrudes into the scrotum.) I have met with and received consultation from a general surgeon named Dr. Milhoan in the DFW area. He plans to repair my hernia via laproscope and to use a Doval 3D Max lightweight mesh (synthetic mesh.) I have attempted to find some research on patients that have had a hernia repaired with the 3D Max mesh but, I have not found much evidence.

My main concern is the post-operative complications and chronic pain that some patients have with certain synthetic meshes. I would love to return to bodybuilding and my career which requires manual labor/lifting etc. So far I have not found any bad news about this synthetic mesh and my surgeon states he has been using it for 8 years and has had no patient rejections with only 1 recurrence of the hernia (knock on wood). I trust the surgeon I have met with, he seems very confident and competent in his skills, but I am weary of the synthetic meshes and the horror stories people post on the internet.

I plan on scheduling a surgery pretty soon, most likely next week or sometime before Thanksgiving. I would appreciate any advice, research and support that you guys have regarding this procedure or have received the 3D Max Mesh and how your recovery was and how you are feeling today.

Thanks in advance and I will post before/after I have my hernia repaired.

Originally Posted by TaylorM31 View Post
    Hey guys, I have been diagnosed with a left indirect inguinal hernia (type of hernia that protrudes into the scrotum.) I have met with and received consultation from a general surgeon named Dr. Milhoan in the DFW area. He plans to repair my hernia via laproscope and to use a Doval 3D Max lightweight mesh (synthetic mesh.) I have attempted to find some research on patients that have had a hernia repaired with the 3D Max mesh but, I have not found much evidence.

My main concern is the post-operative complications and chronic pain that some patients have with certain synthetic meshes. I would love to return to bodybuilding and my career which requires manual labor/lifting etc. So far I have not found any bad news about this synthetic mesh and my surgeon states he has been using it for 8 years and has had no patient rejections with only 1 recurrence of the hernia (knock on wood). I trust the surgeon I have met with, he seems very confident and competent in his skills, but I am weary of the synthetic meshes and the horror stories people post on the internet.

I plan on scheduling a surgery pretty soon, most likely next week or sometime before Thanksgiving. I would appreciate any advice, research and support that you guys have regarding this procedure or have received the 3D Max Mesh and how your recovery was and how you are feeling today.

Thanks in advance and I will post before/after I have my hernia repaired.

I dont have any experience with that kind of mesh. I have the normal one. haha. i hope everything goes well.. good luck

the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Fcking hell I just got an ultrasound on Monday and I have a follow up on Sunday to discuss the results.
    About a month ago I failed on some lightweigth 135lb bench and rested the barbell on my abs. This was okay, but then I quickly leaned up and the barbell rolled down my groin region and tore everything up on the way down. I was in moderate pain right there but I just went fetal for about 3 minutes than continued my workout...

I suspected I had a hernia because after abstaining from AB exercises for a couple weeks I still had the pain, and doing some research it was in the spot of an inguinal hernia. I went to my doctor, and he felt around and made me cough, but the spot I showed him was a little higher than where the actual hernia was (RIGHT above my groin).. He told me it was probably just a minor abdominal tear, and I could continue with regular workout and even ab exercises.

So I go probably the next day and do my AB workout, felt a little tender after but nothing too unusual. Fast-forward two days, I am not sure if it was the AB workout, or just my friends chitty couch, but I was watching TV there for about two hours and I started getting some pretty bad pain in the hernia region. Than I started looking at my dad and brothers "crouch" region, and noticed I actually had a lump or something sticking out that they didnt. So I go back to the doctor, he says yea seems you got a hernia, lol

So I havnt discussed the results yet so I am not sure if it is a bad one, but ever since that day at my friends house I have minor constant pain. Since the accident, I havnt been able to have sex, and even jerking off is sort of ****ty because it is a little painful so I just pre-maturely ejaculate(used to fk like beast, excellent control over my junk)...

I AM FORTUNATE that there is world renowned hernia clinic like 10 minutes from my house http://www.shouldice.com/ , it doesnt use mesh but some other technique of layering and stiching the muscles..

**** though, reading about how it will take like 6 months of recover, plus I will probably have to wait for the surgery, this isn't looking like a fun year.. And I was just started my bulk and had my nutrition on point, seeing the best gains I had ever.

DO you guys know anything about this Shouldice procedure? I have heard some horror stories with the mesh, and there have even been recalls on faulty ones. I guess I am just really anxious, and my doctor will go over a lot of this with me, but if there are any lifters out there with experience with Shouldice I woudl LOVE to hear it!

The gay thing is this was 100% preventable. I was sort of being "cocky" and sprung up from the lying down position, instead of just pushing one side of the barbell off of me.

I have already put my gym membership on hold, I plan on just studying like hell and getting ahead in all of my courses for school. And also I have been working out with heavy grips, I figure maybe I can get big forearms during my healing.. I am thinking about using a wrist roller too, but any abdominal pressure actually causes me pain now :s
    Last edited by the_ken_man; 11-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Originally Posted by the_ken_man View Post
    Fcking hell I just got an ultrasound on Monday and I have a follow up on Sunday to discuss the results.
    About a month ago I failed on some lightweigth 135lb bench and rested the barbell on my abs. This was okay, but then I quickly leaned up and the barbell rolled down my groin region and tore everything up on the way down. I was in moderate pain right there but I just went fetal for about 3 minutes than continued my workout...

I suspected I had a hernia because after abstaining from AB exercises for a couple weeks I still had the pain, and doing some research it was in the spot of an inguinal hernia. I went to my doctor, and he felt around and made me cough, but the spot I showed him was a little higher than where the actual hernia was (RIGHT above my groin).. He told me it was probably just a minor abdominal tear, and I could continue with regular workout and even ab exercises.

So I go probably the next day and do my AB workout, felt a little tender after but nothing too unusual. Fast-forward two days, I am not sure if it was the AB workout, or just my friends chitty couch, but I was watching TV there for about two hours and I started getting some pretty bad pain in the hernia region. Than I started looking at my dad and brothers "crouch" region, and noticed I actually had a lump or something sticking out that they didnt. So I go back to the doctor, he says yea seems you got a hernia, lol

So I havnt discussed the results yet so I am not sure if it is a bad one, but ever since that day at my friends house I have minor constant pain. Since the accident, I havnt been able to have sex, and even jerking off is sort of ****ty because it is a little painful so I just pre-maturely ejaculate(used to fk like beast, excellent control over my junk)...

I AM FORTUNATE that there is world renowned hernia clinic like 10 minutes from my house http://www.shouldice.com/ , it doesnt use mesh but some other technique of layering and stiching the muscles..

**** though, reading about how it will take like 6 months of recover, plus I will probably have to wait for the surgery, this isn't looking like a fun year.. And I was just started my bulk and had my nutrition on point, seeing the best gains I had ever.

DO you guys know anything about this Shouldice procedure? I have heard some horror stories with the mesh, and there have even been recalls on faulty ones. I guess I am just really anxious, and my doctor will go over a lot of this with me, but if there are any lifters out there with experience with Shouldice I woudl LOVE to hear it!

The gay thing is this was 100% preventable. I was sort of being "cocky" and sprung up from the lying down position, instead of just pushing one side of the barbell off of me.

I have already put my gym membership on hold, I plan on just studying like hell and getting ahead in all of my courses for school. And also I have been working out with heavy grips, I figure maybe I can get big forearms during my healing.. I am thinking about using a wrist roller too, but any abdominal pressure actually causes me pain now :s
    I don't know about the Shouldice procedure. Using muscle to overlap the hole doesn't seem right to me. What if the muscle tears away from the stitching? My mesh hasn't given me any problems at all. It is impossible to feel it. I feel almost as if I never had a hernia in the first place. I would ask your doctor why the Shouldice procedure with muscle overlapping is prefferred and ask him if you can continue powerlifting/bodybuilding after you heal and recover from the Shouldice procedure. My doctor used mesh and told me that he didn't make the mesh extremely tight because he allowed the mesh to have some give for when I returned to lifting. So far, it has been 2 1/2 years and I've strong as ever with no pain. Do some more research. I hope all goes well. And please report back about the Shouldice procedure and what you decided to do. I'd like to hear back about how your recovery is like and everything. Thanks.

the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) the_ken_man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ShoulderBrah View Post
    I don't know about the Shouldice procedure. Using muscle to overlap the hole doesn't seem right to me. What if the muscle tears away from the stitching? My mesh hasn't given me any problems at all. It is impossible to feel it. I feel almost as if I never had a hernia in the first place. I would ask your doctor why the Shouldice procedure with muscle overlapping is prefferred and ask him if you can continue powerlifting/bodybuilding after you heal and recover from the Shouldice procedure. My doctor used mesh and told me that he didn't make the mesh extremely tight because he allowed the mesh to have some give for when I returned to lifting. So far, it has been 2 1/2 years and I've strong as ever with no pain. Do some more research. I hope all goes well. And please report back about the Shouldice procedure and what you decided to do. I'd like to hear back about how your recovery is like and everything. Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have read about one guy who was a powerlifter I believe and he had "double" mesh or something put in. He apparently brought a picture of him squatting like 800lbs to illustrate to the doctor that his abdominal wall would regularly see immense pressure. It seems there isn't as much info out there on the Shouldice procedure, I will definately ask my doctor about his recommendations and he knows I work out, but I'm not sure if he is aware how much strain squatting/deadlifting can put on the abdominal wall (although direct ab exercises are probably worse in regards to a hernia..).

In all honesty I have always felt that my Doctor was a little "incompetent", or at least doesn't really care and just tries to rush me out ASAP, but I see he does this with everyone..

That's awesome to hear that you have had no complications, gives me a lot of hope and things to look forward too. I'll definately post an update on Sunday or Monday after I see my doc about the ultrasound pictures. It's great to hear you have had no complications, happy lifting!

PS. I know this is the case with a lot of medical procedures and things of this nature; that on the internet you usually read more about the negative side or complications, because those are the people who make the initiative to sign up on forums and seek answers to their problems.. I can definitely see this being the case with Hernia forums

Originally Posted by the_ken_man View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I have read about one guy who was a powerlifter I believe and he had "double" mesh or something put in. He apparently brought a picture of him squatting like 800lbs to illustrate to the doctor that his abdominal wall would regularly see immense pressure. It seems there isn't as much info out there on the Shouldice procedure, I will definately ask my doctor about his recommendations and he knows I work out, but I'm not sure if he is aware how much strain squatting/deadlifting can put on the abdominal wall (although direct ab exercises are probably worse in regards to a hernia..).

In all honesty I have always felt that my Doctor was a little "incompetent", or at least doesn't really care and just tries to rush me out ASAP, but I see he does this with everyone..

That's awesome to hear that you have had no complications, gives me a lot of hope and things to look forward too. I'll definately post an update on Sunday or Monday after I see my doc about the ultrasound pictures. It's great to hear you have had no complications, happy lifting!

PS. I know this is the case with a lot of medical procedures and things of this nature; that on the internet you usually read more about the negative side or complications, because those are the people who make the initiative to sign up on forums and seek answers to their problems.. I can definitely see this being the case with Hernia forums
    If you don't trust your doctor, then I suggest seeking a second opinion. I don't know much about the double mesh. The single mesh has been fine for me and countless others on this forum.

I want you to know that once they tie the mesh to the pelvic bones and secure the area, there will be scar tissue built up in and out and around the mesh making the area stronger than before. This is what most people feel as pressure for the first year.

Originally Posted by ShoulderBrah View Post
    If you don't trust your doctor, then I suggest seeking a second opinion. I don't know much about the double mesh. The single mesh has been fine for me and countless others on this forum.

I want you to know that once they tie the mesh to the pelvic bones and secure the area, there will be scar tissue built up in and out and around the mesh making the area stronger than before. This is what most people feel as pressure for the first year.
    Yea I definiately want a second opinion, but I am not sure if my doctor will be dealing with me or referring me to a specialist after I see him on Sunday. I have been doing more research and from what I gather, the most appropriate method will be determined on what kind of hernias/how bad they are. I still have a lot of research to do though, and I guess until I hear about the ultrasound results I won't really know what to be researching about :/

I have pretty constant pain though.. When I am sitting in class, on the subway, pretty much always feel pain there. It is very re-assuring to see a lot of beasts in here putting up good numbers post hernia surgery