Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up Beating Yesterday: DC Training/Myo-Rep Hybrid Protocol with Intermittent Fasting

Beating yesterday: A Doggcrap/Myo-Rep Hybrid Training Protocol with Leangains Style Intermittent Fasting

About me: I am currently 22 years old, natural, with around 1.5 years of serious lifting and diet experience. Like others, I lifted with no real sense of direction nor emphasis on diet since high school; gains were rapid at first and peaked relatively fast. As a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Duluth, I weighed 215 pounds at 5í10Ē; I was overweight and suffering from debilitating inflammatory skin conditions that happened to propagate during the same time. I decided to make a change; I completed 10 weeks Ultimate Diet 2.0, lost 30+ pounds and simultaneously my skin conditions were greatly reduced.

With those results I was hooked and have spent an ever increasing amount of time diving into nutrition and exercise literature. Iíve also changed my outlook on my career goals and I now want to incorporate a fitness profession alongside my future goals of graduating medical school and becoming an Endocrinologist. I am currently at the University Of Minnesota Duluth pursuing a Biology B.S.. After graduation, I will be hopefully be accepted into the graduate nutrition program at the University Of Minnesota Twin Cities. Medical school will have to wait until after graduate school; truly believe chasing your passion and sharing it with others is one of the most rewarding things you can do.

Goals of this Log
    1. Increase strength in compound exercises with a favorable strength to body weight ratio.
    2. Maintain a lean, balanced physique while gaining mass.
    3. Increase conditioning and work capacity.
    4. Track progress after each 10-week training cycle with pictures, caliper measurements, and strength progression.
    5. Promote and influence others to become proactive about their health by starting or maintaining a healthy lifestyle that includes both resistance exercise and nutritious, whole-food choices.
    6. Utilize this log as a repository of information for others as well motivation for my future goals in fitness and medicine.
    7. Post relevant fitness articles from sources I follow about nutrition, exercise, supplements, etc.

Implementation of Intermittent Fasting
    Martin Berkhanís leangains style of intermittent fasting will be used with emphasis on high protein and high carb macros on workout days while lower carb, higher fat macros on off days. Typically, I will use a 16 hour fast with an 8-hour eating window. On off days, I may use up to 20-hour fasts. I eat a clean, healthy and cost-effective diet with the majority of my calories post workout. I will shoot for 2-3 meals in the eating window, typically spaced 4 hours apart based on muscle protein synthesis research by Layne Norton.

Typical carb choices will include: brown rice, oatmeal, white potatoes, beans and popcorn, whole wheat tortillas.
    Typical protein choices: boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tuna, eggs, milk, whey protein, casein protein, protein fluff.
    Typical Fat choices: Eggs, almonds, peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, fat from meat.

Resistance training days coincide with a higher carb day: currently ~2,800 calories, (271 PRO, 350 CHO, 34 FAT) Typically: 825g Brown Rice or 1125g Baked Potatoes, 15oz chicken, 250g Grapefruit, 160g Blueberries, 2.5 scoops SmartPowders Whey, 60g Oats, 3 cups milk, 2 Whole Wheat Tortillas, 200g Broccoli flowerets, 1.5 scoops TruScience Milk Protein. I typically eat all of it post workout meals to break my 16hour fast. I usually ate two meals total, the last meal being the tortillas, broccoli, milk and the milk protein.

Off days taper calories down with protein high. Currently a ~1,400 calorie diet (270g PRO, 27g CHO, 27g FAT) Typically: 36oz chicken, 6 fish oil caps, 400g broccoli flowerets, 8 egg whites, 1.5 scoops Truscience Milk Protein. This day served as my large deficit compared to my resistance trained refeed days.

As I transition into a gaining phase, Iíll incorporate more variety in the selection of vegetables, fruits, and other sources of nutrients. I will also bump up my fat intake, possibly decrease protein a tad.

The Training Protocol
    The workout will be a hybrid between Doggcrap (DC) training and Myo-Reps. I will use an EOD workout program split into push and pull workouts. I will use three different push/pull workouts (A1,B1,A2,B2,A3,B3) that use different exercises that are rotated through similar to DC training. At least two exercises per body part will be used.

A typical work set will begin with a fatigue set that is brought to one rep before failure to a recruit a maximal amount of motor units. After the fatigue set, I will rest a predetermined amount of breaths and then perform a series of work sets. The number of sets are undetermined. Auto-regulation based on how I feel on the given day will determine how many sets I will be able to achieve; sometimes I will feel fresh and hit numerous PRs while other days due to sleep, stress or other variables I wonít beat the log book. The idea is to do the maximal amount of work per day given your status. In addition, the last two sets go to complete failure and use a static hold for as long as possible with extreme stretching after each body part.

This hybrid workout uses the DC training principles of complete failure, extreme stretching and periodization of exercises. Myo-Reps brings auto-regulation and control of fatigue. Overall, I will use intensity to recruit a maximal amount of muscle fibers and progress with load, volume, and total time under tension. I keep a training log book and I will use it to beat my previous PRs and gauge my progress.

Workouts are periodized using different exercises and rep ranges on the first fatigue set thatís taken 1 rep before failure. I stay in a certain rep range for 2 weeks. The ranges include 15-20 (my deload), 12-15, 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, and 3-5 reps. Depending on the rep range, a proportional amount of breaths for rest (lower for higher volume workouts) are used after the fatigue set and a predetermined number of reps are done after the rest. I have no set volume for each workout; its auto-regulated. Like DC training, I chase complete failure on the last two sets and resist/static hold as long as possible during the eccentric on the last set. I will then go into an extreme stretch for as long as possible.

Ex: BW Dips + 70lb for 12 reps on the first fatigue set. Rest 10 deep breaths and do a set of 4 reps. Continue with sets of 4 reps after 10 breaths of rest. Once the sets get close to failure, hit failure on the last two sets with a static hold/resist the eccentric.
    Notation: BW Dips + 70lb for 12 +4,4,4F,3F. F indicates failure.

I rotate through three different exercises for each body part on push day or pull days
    Ex: A1, B1, A2, B2, and so on. *Extreme stretching after each body part.
    A1: Weighted Dips, Cable Flies, Chest ISO Hammer Strength Machine (depends), Smith Military press, Lateral Raises, Overhead rope tricep press, Abs, Calves
    A2: Decline Hammer Strength Machine, Chest ISO Hammer Strength Machine, Chest Flies (depends), Military Press, Lateral Raises, Cable Tricep Kickbacks, Avs, Calves
    A3: Incline DB, Push ups off DB, Chest Iso Hammer Strength Machine (depends), Front Delt DB Raise, Lateral Raises, BTN Dumbell Press,Abs, Calves
    B1: Weighted Chins, T-Bar Rows, Dead Lift, Wide Stance Leg Press, Facepulls, Hammer Grip Cable Bicep Curls
    B2: Weighted Pull ups, Chest Supported Row, Rackpulls, Facepulls, Squats and Neutral Grip Cable Bicep Curls
    B3: Weighted Hammer Chins, Seated Rope Rows, SLDL, Facepulls, Narrow Leg Press and Neutral Grip Cable Bicep Curls

Current Physique as of March 2011:

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/JJ22/

For the tone of this log, one of my favorite songs:
    At some point in your life you had this idea of who you were going to be someday. That who you were going to be, secretly and unknowingly, starts to become a ball and chain behind you because it becomes who you could have been. Donít let the burden of regret weigh your dreams down.

Intermittent fasting + DC Training/Myo-Reps Hybrid log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133062263

SNS log: Focus XT, Agmatine and DAA
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134105521

Rustler's Ambition fitnessbyjay's Avatar
    fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In, subbed, 1st. DC is a great program.

What are your main lifts now, working sets?

EDIT: I think the 2-way split would be your best bet if the goal is mass.
    ***Los Angeles Misc Crew***

JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JJ22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Day 1

B2:
    Pull ups:
    BW +25lb x 6 + 2,2,3,3F

Chest supported Machine Row:
    130lbs x 13 + 5,5,5,5,5F

Rack pulls:
    225 x 12 + 6,6,6
    -Still getting used to this movement and really feeling the weight/tension in my lats and upper back during reps. Felt good.

Squats:
    225 5x5
    -Getting back into this after a long hiatus so I'll progress quickly. First set felt shaky but the last set had solid depth and hip drive.

Leg Press:
    405 x 20 breathing reps
    -Felt fatigued at around 12 and grinded out the last 8 for reps. Hit the quad stretch right after.

Notes: Not my best day as I was working with ~3.5 hours of on and off sleep. Talked to a few gym rats who asked about my diet as they have seen the progress over the last few weeks, plus I'm really, really tan after spring break (thank you mom for your filipino genes!). Spent a good 30 minutes debunking broscience about meal frequency, muscle catabolism, breakfast... the whole slew of propagated myths. While it breaks me out of my groove during the workout, I'm glad to help people out whenever I can.

Diet:Made two rounds of protein fluff, one with whey and one with an 80/20 casein/whey blend. So amazing and so satiating. Also got my carbs from white bread today. I've been craving it since spring break. First time I've ate bread at my own house in years.

Tomorrow will be an off day and 90 mins walking. I can't wait to listen to super human radio. Between SHR, bodyrx and the paleo solution, I have 198 pod casts on tap and shows typically last 45 min+. All of them are free too. Great minds like Layne Norton, Scott Connelly are fun to listen to.
    At some point in your life you had this idea of who you were going to be someday. That who you were going to be, secretly and unknowingly, starts to become a ball and chain behind you because it becomes who you could have been. Donít let the burden of regret weigh your dreams down.

Rustler's Ambition fitnessbyjay's Avatar
    fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000) fitnessbyjay is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by fitnessbyjay View Post
    In, subbed, 1st. DC is a great program.

What are your main lifts now, working sets?

EDIT: I think the 2-way split would be your best bet if the goal is mass.
    Nevermind, read program again - you shouldn't even title the thread DC training. Good luck nonetheless.
    ***Los Angeles Misc Crew***

Originally Posted by fitnessbyjay View Post
    Nevermind, read program again - you shouldn't even title the thread DC training. Good luck nonetheless.
    I indicated hybrid because thats essentially what it is. Myo-Reps is pretty similar to DC training that I use both interchangeably or mix both into the same exercise.

Wasn't meant to confuse.
    Last edited by JJ22; 03-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.

You Are What You Eat. PeanutButterBan's Avatar
    PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed - just starting IF myself, looking forward to reading more.
    Current Max
    1RM Deadlift: 175kg (385)
    1RM Squat: 150kg (330)
    1RM Bench: 121kg (266)

jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000) jzpowahz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed. Just started IF'ing myself. Good work mate.

milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) milkneggs786 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Outstanding work sir! Well done! Ive never heard that song before and its absolutely awesome. Its got this subtle epicness to it. My workout playlist has been over-listened to by me, so Im on the hunt for new tunes. Definitely adding this one, do you have any other favorites that you suggest?

Again, absolutely incredible transformation!
    ďNo citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical trainingÖwhat a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.Ē
    -Socrates

pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10) pro-tein is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DC rocks, IF rocks....I am with you sir!
    Both part of my life at the moment... love it!!

Nice progress... keep it up for some nice clean bulk!
    IF body group: http://groups.bodybuilding.com/intermittent_fasting_fans

kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kels_88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks great! I saw your post in the IF section- I just started a full on cut with IF (I've been doing more of a recomp, and seeing some results.) I've got to ask you this though: are you worried about your fats being so low? About a year ago I was ignorant to nutrition and, like many people have done, I tried cutting out fats out of my diet so I wouldnt get fat....ha. Anyway, I was probably averaging about 30g fat a day like it appears you intend to do. Obviously your diet/routine is well thought out, but having my fat intake that low simply killed my sex drive/energy/everything...

Interested in your input! Good luck man!

Tick.Tholid.Sight fit4business88's Avatar
    fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fit4business88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    subbed. I've also been following leangains and have had great results
    "Judgement day is upon us. God will conduct a bodyfat caliper test to gauge eligibility into heaven...if you are over 10%, its over. good luck *******s." - Zyzz

Day 2

Off day:

Cardio was 90 mins of walking. 45 mins downhill to Lake Superior and all the way back up at a quicker pace. Really gets the sweat going on the trek back up.

Post cardio I saw some veins across my chest and feathering coming in on my tricep heads. Don't usually get that postcardio so I was happy to see that.
    Weighed in today at 169.6, higher than the pictures, but I believe I'm a tad leaner, I'll see how it plays out.

The 8 week cut into 1 week gorge really provided additional motivation to do another 2-4 weeks of dieting. While I should have controlled it more, I was on spring break ha!

Listened to two superhuman radio podcasts. Fun to listen to talk radio about fitness. Matt Cahill was a great on SHR 505 about test boosters, so if you use that genre of products give that one a listen.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/super...ne-levels.html
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/super...ally-work.html
    Last edited by JJ22; 03-28-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Originally Posted by milkneggs786 View Post
    Outstanding work sir! Well done! Ive never heard that song before and its absolutely awesome. Its got this subtle epicness to it. My workout playlist has been over-listened to by me, so Im on the hunt for new tunes. Definitely adding this one, do you have any other favorites that you suggest?

Again, absolutely incredible transformation!
    I'll be tossing in my selection of music whenever I can. I listen to everything from metal, rock, hip hop, etc. Stuff that provides motivation lyrically.

The roots are definitely an underrated band. They have stayed true to their sound and even use a real band. Shame more people don't know about them. Their collection of work is awesome and Black Thought is great lyrically.

Originally Posted by kels_88 View Post
    Looks great! I saw your post in the IF section- I just started a full on cut with IF (I've been doing more of a recomp, and seeing some results.) I've got to ask you this though: are you worried about your fats being so low? About a year ago I was ignorant to nutrition and, like many people have done, I tried cutting out fats out of my diet so I wouldnt get fat....ha. Anyway, I was probably averaging about 30g fat a day like it appears you intend to do. Obviously your diet/routine is well thought out, but having my fat intake that low simply killed my sex drive/energy/everything...

Interested in your input! Good luck man!
    Yeah, fats that low do hit my sex drive a bit, but I've had a similar effect on any diet really, my libido goes low. While I plan on keeping fat low for my current cut phase, they will raise once I transition into a lean gain phase. I plan on using EVOO or EV coconut oil on higher carb lifting days and use more saturated fats like eggs and meats on lower carb off days.

On another note, thanks for all the subs. I really hope this log will help others on their fitness journey. We all have responsibility in our health.

blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    why not add a little "real life" food into your diet dude?
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man

Steroids- a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Originally Posted by blacksmith77 View Post
    why not add a little "real life" food into your diet dude?
    Confused by the question, would you care to elaborate a bit? Like junk food? Or less protein supplements?

blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000) blacksmith77 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JJ22 View Post
    Confused by the question, would you care to elaborate a bit? Like junk food? Or less protein supplements?
    yeah junk food
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man

Steroids- a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Originally Posted by blacksmith77 View Post
    yeah junk food
    Ah, personally choice really. I just choose not to based on my belief that micronutrients matter. With Sam's Club its also very very cheap to eat a "clean" diet compared to junk or processed foods. My skin condition also reacts favorably with my diet versus the "dirty" style of eating I used before. That alone is enough to keep me on "good" diet. The skin condition before was so humiliating.

On a diet I'm pretty strict on what I eat, but as I transition I'll be more lenient on my choices. I definitely love my texas roadhouse.

That said... I'm planning to take down a local burger joint's 5 pound burger and fries in the near future. I have done 5.8 pounds of clean food after one of my postworkout during my diet phase. IF definitely has increased my eating capability.
    Last edited by JJ22; 03-29-2011 at 06:38 AM.

VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10) VeritasInvictus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Subbed, my goal level of leanness for this summer.

Thanks for the motivation brotha!

Quick question, the principle with IF is that today's nutrition is tomorrow's energy. Do you typically have a pre-workout meal on training days? I have used similar macros to those and couldnt imagine an intense training session without some food in me.

PS: Thanks for the podcast heads-up!
    Last edited by VeritasInvictus; 03-28-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by VeritasInvictus View Post
    Subbed, my goal level of leanness for this summer.

Thanks for the motivation brotha!

Quick question, the principle with IF is that today's nutrition is tomorrow's energy. Do you typically have a pre-workout meal on training days? I have used similar macros to those and couldnt imagine an intense training session without some food in me.

PS: Thanks for the podcast heads-up!
    Your mind is more powerful than you think. If you honestly believe you need food then your lifts will suffer. I thought the same thing when I originally tried it, but quantitatively and qualitatively fasted lifts haven't had any detriment to my progress. In fact, I prefer them. I love larger meals, thus eating a small preworkout meal for me isn't appealing. I'd rather gorge postworkout. Saves time and I notice that I don't feel sluggish despite a HUGE amount of food >5lbs.

I will break my fast at 1P.M. for a preworkout meal, or just extend the fast and hit the workout fasted with 10G BCAA prior, Intrabolic, or Size ON MP. Whatever is more convenient and in my experience, the difference between both is negligible.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll post articles and topics that I find relevant my log.

Here is a solid article on intensity and fatigue. It reviews research of high volume and low volume, when both taken to failure, elicit similar though sometimes unique responses in the body.
    http://www.ampedtraining.com/2011/ph...re-muscle-gain
    ----

Little sleep today ~ 4.5 hours. Will hit training hard though later today.

You Are What You Eat. PeanutButterBan's Avatar
    PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000) PeanutButterBan is just really nice. (+1000)

I will break my fast at 1P.M. for a preworkout meal, or just extend the fast and hit the workout fasted with 10G BCAA prior, Intrabolic, or Size ON MP. Whatever is more convenient and in my experience, the difference between both is negligible.
    I'm not sure that taking sizeon MP counts as a fasted workout. In fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't, 40g of dextrose is definitely breaking the fast. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I do something very similar, just trying to be clear cause that could be confusing for people.
    Current Max
    1RM Deadlift: 175kg (385)
    1RM Squat: 150kg (330)
    1RM Bench: 121kg (266)

schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah, personally choice really. I just choose not to based on my belief that micronutrients matter. With Sam's Club its also very very cheap to eat a "clean" diet compared to junk or processed foods. My skin condition also reacts favorably with my diet versus the "dirty" style of eating I used before. That alone is enough to keep me on "good" diet. The skin condition before was so humiliating.

On a diet I'm pretty strict on what I eat, but as I transition I'll be more lenient on my choices. I definitely love my texas roadhouse.

That said... I'm planning to take down a local burger joint's 5 pound burger and fries in the near future. I have done 5.8 pounds of clean food after one of my postworkout during my diet phase. IF definitely has increased my eating capability.

This day is gunna be glorious! I think you should just straight up do "The Great Divide" . . . . what is 3 more lbs. hahah. BTW your thread is sick! and I am glad to see you started to use the fluff . . . I'll talk to you later about training together, or you get ahold of me.
    Intermittent Fasting

"No matter how high a bird can fly, they still have to come down for water."

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted by PeanutButterBan View Post
    I'm not sure that taking sizeon MP counts as a fasted workout. In fact I'm pretty sure it doesn't, 40g of dextrose is definitely breaking the fast. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I do something very similar, just trying to be clear cause that could be confusing for people.
    Yeah, I meant 10G BCAA or intrabolic in the fasted state. I will use SizeON MP whenever I already had a preworkout meal. Haven't used it in ages because I want to eat my carbs on the diet.
    Last edited by JJ22; 03-29-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Thumbs up Day 3

A1 workout: Weighed in at 171.0 this morning, 174 at the gym.

Weighted dips:
    174 BW + 90lb db x 6 + 2,2,2,3F,4F

Cable Flies:
    22.5 x 14 + 5,5,5

Decline Machine:
    50 x 12 into 25 x 10

Smith Front Press:
    135 x 4 +1,1,1,1F

Front raise:
    25lb plate x 27

Cable Lateral Raise:
    20 x 20 + 10F,5F

Tricep DB behind the neck press:
    75lb x 8 + 3F,2,2,2,2F

Abs:
    Hanging leg raises into hammer machine. Both to failure.

Calves:
    8 plates on legpress x 23 + 10F,8F,4F. Reps are slow with a explosive concentric. My legs were trembling after the set. Good feeling.

Notes:
    16hr fast broken with 60g oats, 160g blueberries, 2 scoops whey, cocoa powder + splenda to taste.

Really trying to figure out how to program a press for shoulders after dips. I've been trying to maximize my form so the front delts don't get hit so hard during dips, I can't move as much weight but I feel it far more in my chest. I really wanna isolate my chest/front delt tie in over my next training cycle.

Felt very strong in the triceps today, db press was very explosive despite being one of my later exercises for a push day. Out of this workout, I really liked dips, tricep DB press, front raises and lateral raises. I'm still tinkering with the other exercises and hopefully the workout will gel a little more. Overall, a great workout, felt strong with little rest.

One of these days I'll toss up a postworkout shot after one of my next push or pull days. Postworkout vascularity is ridiculous as of late.

On another note, it seems like everyone I just happen to talk to feel the need to try to debunk fasting. After talking to them for a bit, its obvious they know little to nothing about nutrition or exercise or they sure don't practice what they preach. It really gives me motivation to crush it and prove everyone wrong with results day in and day out.

Song of the day:

The buildup up to 1:50 amps me up so hard. I'm sure others time out their reps to their music.

Off to study physiology the rest of the night. I really wanna read through this article however: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
    Sucks having to grind out my major that I dislike when your future interests are far more interesting.

P.S. another solid BodyRX episode on carbs with Layne Norton and Scott Connelly:
    http://www.bodyrx.com/TheBodyRxShow/...BurningFat.mp3
    Last edited by JJ22; 03-29-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Originally Posted by schm1840 View Post
    This day is gunna be glorious! I think you should just straight up do "The Great Divide" . . . . what is 3 more lbs. hahah. BTW your thread is sick! and I am glad to see you started to use the fluff . . . I'll talk to you later about training together, or you get ahold of me.
    Thanks for stoppin in man. We will hammer out a dc style routine for you very soon.

Acekun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Acekun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for stoppin in man. We will hammer out a dc style routine for you very soon.
    Hey, great log, kinda similiar to what Iīm about to do at the start of may (tried out IF before to see if I like it, itīs amazing especially the focus at work) just abit more fat on rest days and less carbs / protein

I have some questions tho.
    Iīm trying to go for fastbreaker at 1-2pm and start the fast at 9-10pm sleep 8hours and wanna do 30-45 minutes cardio in the morning, would you recommend cardio on off days or on on days?

Which Supplements did you use?
    Iīm currently using fishoil, multivit, vitamin d, zma, creatin, bcaa (prior training), whey after training and casein pre bed / for fluff. My problem is when should I use my creatin, straight after workout always and on during the day on off days?
    Thanks, keep up the great work

Been extremely busy as of late and have gotten 7 hours of sleep over the last two days. No excuses however with my school or training, it gets done.

Set new PR on legs today. Crushing the log book despite leaning out.

Update over the last few days will come this Saturday. Till then, keep working hard!

schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schm1840 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Acekun View Post
    Hey, great log, kinda similiar to what Iīm about to do at the start of may (tried out IF before to see if I like it, itīs amazing especially the focus at work) just abit more fat on rest days and less carbs / protein

I have some questions tho.
    Iīm trying to go for fastbreaker at 1-2pm and start the fast at 9-10pm sleep 8hours and wanna do 30-45 minutes cardio in the morning, would you recommend cardio on off days or on on days?

Which Supplements did you use?
    Iīm currently using fishoil, multivit, vitamin d, zma, creatin, bcaa (prior training), whey after training and casein pre bed / for fluff. My problem is when should I use my creatin, straight after workout always and on during the day on off days?
    Thanks, keep up the great work
    use up to 3g pwo with creatine . . . there is no point in any more dosing.

as for your cardio . . . . what is your goal? if you keep it really mild (brisk walking for an hour) you could implement it more so than just off days with little effects on your weight training.
    Intermittent Fasting

"No matter how high a bird can fly, they still have to come down for water."

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Subbed.

Fellow IF + DC training here
    Iron, sometimes it sets my teeth on edge, other times it helps me control the chaos.

++ Positivity Crew ++

Updates updates updates!

Day 4
    171.0lb

Cardio on 3.5 hours of sleep sucks. Did my standard 1.5 hour walk up and down this gigantic hill known as Duluth Minnesota. Crushed my test though haha.

Day 5:
    169lbs

A1 Push
    BW Dips + 90lb x 5 + 2,2,2,3,4F

Chest Flies 22.5lb x 14 + 15

Decline Machine ISO: To Failure

Smith Front Press: 135 x 4 + 1,1,1F,1F

Front Raises: 25 plate x 23

Lateral Cable Raises: 20 x F ~23 ish

Abs to failure

Calves: 405 x 25 reps.

Workout went alright, looking back at it I did too much volume for my front delts. I'll probably feel it next push day.

Day 6
    170.6lb

Cardio day, nothing special to report. Listened to some good superhuman radio tracks:
    #469 - Resistance Exercise While Fasted Does Not Lead To A Catabolic State
    Dr. Stuart Phillips is very good to listen to.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/super...lic-state.html

Day 7
    168.6. 5 hours of sleep

B3 pull day

Hammer Chins: BW + 25 x 7 + 2,2,2,2,2,1F
    -> felt strong and I believe this is close to a PR for volume.

Rope Rows: 120 x 18 + 5,5,5,5F

SLDL: 135 4x10 set.
    -> Just getting in the groove of doing this exercise again. Wanted to go light.

Face Pulls: 90 x 18 + 5,5,5F

Narrow Stance Leg Press: 14 plates x 6 + 2,2,2,2,2,2,2F

Cable Bicep Curl: 110lb x 13 + 4,4,4F New PR.
    -----
    Awesome awesome lifting day today. Killed it with volume and legs felt great. I've decided to really track how much sleep I'm getting based off the research I keep listening to.

Day 8
    166.0 with 9 hours of sleep

Cardio for 1.5 hours again. Listened to this SHR on sleep:
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/super...rformance.html

Good listen and I will definitely start a better sleep routine for performance. Kind of fun to track my progress with excel. I can really gauge where gains ramp up or down. Takes a bit of time, but I think its worth it.

Day 9
    167.6, 7hrs of sleep

A3 Push: Did the wrong workout, oh well.

Incline DB: 80 x 6 + 3,3,2F

Smith Flat Bench: 135 x 16 + 7,7,7,7F

Chest Flies: 17.5lb x 10 + 6,5F

Cable Front Raises: 20 x 14 + 7,7,7F

Cable Lateral Raises: 30 x 14 + 7,4,4F straight into flies with a 5 pound plate x 17

During the shoulder stretch, I saw some brand new stretch marks coming in. Roughly 2.5 inches coming in on my front delt/chest tie in.

Cable Tricep Kickbacks: 10lb x 23 + 6,4,4,4F
    One of the best tricep exercises that you really feel in the upper tricep. I prefer it over the DB kickback cause of the constant tension. I really flex and hold the rep at the top of the rep.
    -------
    My front delts were still feeling it from the previous push workout, didn't get the volume I wanted on incline press. Decided to cut some volume for the shoulders and hit chest with other exercises. The workout was amazing none the less; in the zone, intense and got my roommate to come lift with me. Postworkout was the leanest I've EVER been. Still maintaining or gaining strength. The intensity is really helping my progress.

Ate 4.3 pounds of food postwork: Postworkout meal: 1lb chicken, 8 potatoes, 1.25 cups blueberries, 3/4 cup oats, 1 scoop whey, 1 grapefruit, 1/2 cup beans ~ 1,800 calories and 4.3 pounds of food. All washed down with 32 oz of water. Growing time...

Song of the week:

The eerie sound of the song is just amazing when you're getting amped up for a set.
    Around the 2:40... Maynard's voice is just intense.

Now up: killing another huge paper that I need to get done.

Day 10
    166.8 with 8hr of sleep

Off day and cardio for 1.5 hours again. Was extremely warm outside and I was overdressed. Cut a lot of water weight. Felt good and rested however my hamstrings are absolutely destroyed from doing SLDL. I may have to exchange some leg movements tomorrow.

Another good superhuman radio episode. From Dr. DiPasquale and his thoughts on carbohydrate intake.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/super...ohydrates.html

I also saved this for later reading:
    http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/...production.tpl

Day 11
    165.8 with 7 hour of sleep

B1 Pull Day

Chins BW + 37.5 x 7 + 2,2,2,2F,1F *New PR by 2.5 pounds and 2 reps

TBar Rows - 75 lb x 18 + 5,5,5,5F into strip set of 45 x 7

Deadlift - 315 + 1,1,1,1. 225 + 5,5. Really tried to focus on form despite my hamstrings being shot.

Face Pulls - 90lb x 18 + 12,12

Leg Hyperextensions 160lb x 12 + 10,8,6

Rope Curls 150lb x 5 + 2,2,2,2F into strip set of 70 x 5

Smith Traps: 225 x 6 + 6,4,4,
    ----
    Felt amazing today; I really feel the extra sleep is paying off. I'm going to prioritize it whenever I have the chance. Even with the heavy volume for back, I still feel fresh come next pull workout.

Weights felt light despite being at my lowest bodyweight ever. I weighed in at the gym at 169.8 with all my clothes, shoes and IPod. This was even after my preworkout meal 3 hours prior.

Post workout meal was the same, except I ate an extra 2 cups of beans. Also going to be throwing in green beans/spinach into rotation for veggies.

Song of the Day:

Classic rage.