Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking OHP is GOOD for middle delts!!!

Hi everyone!

There's often a debate about the overhead press, is it a good exercise for shoulder width or not.

Mostly the "it works the front delts" group wins, but no one talks about the grip width you use!

Everywhere on the net you can read that you should use a narrower grip blanlanla.
    Yes, that gives a more solid rack position and you can press maybe a bit more this way.
    If your elbows point forward ofcourse only your front delts will work!

So what to do? Simple! Press the bar the way that your elbows point sideways the whole time!
    This way, don't tell me that it's still a mainly front delt exercise . . .

I'm doing this ways since a month and I finally see something is happening with my middle delts!

Also my Oly coach friend thinks this and Christian Thibaudeau mentions this on a forum.
    Stats:
    OHP 0,75BW 5RM
    Front Squat 1,5BW 1RM
    Deadlift 2,1BW 1RM

Only Front Squat Crew
    No Bench Press Crew
    Bad Nutrition and Sleep Crew
    Extrem Metal Crew

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's not just about where you point your elbows, it's also about shoulder external vs internal rotation. To get your arms above shoulder height, your shoulders have to be externally rotated which brings the anteriod delt into play. The lateral delt is still used but is not adequately trained IMO.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All three areas of the delt get work on the OHP.
    You cannot isolate only direct the stress to a certain area which if your bodybuilding would require you to "feel"what your working.
    You would be IMO better off doing DB presses to hit the medial delt more.
    Elbows out to the sides of the shoulders and arc inward to the top of the head but don't touch the DB's together to keep the tension on the delts,back down and repeat.
    I like doing these seated on a chair type bench for added strictness.
    You could do them standing with a barbell just don't lockout(maybe2/3 press) and keep elbows pointing outward.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if your gonna do that..
    you may aswell to btn's instead of half assing it.

and do band face pull-aparts... they will add a tonne of gains to your rear&side delts.

(hint: rear delts will make ur shoulders look bigger)
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I don't always reply to threads. Cos I don't always remember I posted in the first place😅

Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fapadrol is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    if your gonna do that..

and do band face pull-aparts... they will add a tonne of gains to your rear&side delts.

Huge fan of btn presses. They've been a staple movement in various routines for 12 years. Saying that, Ive never gone heavy with them; instead I use lateral raises and face pulls as my main shoulder exercises.
    Tight Head Prop Crew
    Full Back Crew
    ICU Nurse Crew
    Photographer Crew

5'8 259lbs

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew ▪█─────█▪

Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akos89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    if your gonna do that..

Thanks for the reply!

I tried behind the neck press but I don't have the flexiblity to do it
    I used to do face pulls but I felt them mostly in my traps, what did I do wrong?
    Rear delt make shoulder bigger? How?
    Stats:
    OHP 0,75BW 5RM
    Front Squat 1,5BW 1RM
    Deadlift 2,1BW 1RM

Only Front Squat Crew
    No Bench Press Crew
    Bad Nutrition and Sleep Crew
    Extrem Metal Crew

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Akos89 View Post
    Rear delt make shoulder bigger? How?
    Because they make your shoulders look big, round, and muscular from all angles. The average lifter has overdeveloped front delts, average side delts, and poor rear delts...look at pictures of various builds you admire, you will see the most impressive ones have nice round fully developed shoulders (bowling balls, as thier often called).

KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100) KTownManiac is not very well liked. (-100)
    i think if youre a novice, then some kind of overhead press is adequate, especially a dumbbell movement. but once youve built your base, you should add in a lateral delt isolation.. a wide grip power upright row, lateral raises , etc... esp considering that lateral delt hypertrophy is very important for improving your shoulder width / V taper