Closed Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jerrymcf50 View Post
    any one have an idea on how to replace a squat if you lift at home and don't have a power rack. I am old as hell and I want to lift some heavy weight and not get pinned under it.
    Get some stands and then perform front squats.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000) proti3n is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by jerrymcf50 View Post
    any one have an idea on how to replace a squat if you lift at home and don't have a power rack. I am old as hell and I want to lift some heavy weight and not get pinned under it.
    squat holding a plates to your sides or dbs

ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for posting!

dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dianelopez06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Another great post! Love reading informational posts from this forum. I just downloaded the videos hoping to make my body fit and firm. Thanks for sharing guys!
    Looking for a great exercise equipment? check www.body-bands.com for more information

f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    nice share !
    You come in peace, but you go back in pieces

Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by thenaturalguy View Post
    ive recently started to squat low bar style. Im having issues with my lower back, when im done squatting i seem to have a "tight/sore" feeling 30 mins - 2 hours after. Is this typically normal?
    If you watch the third video on the first page of this thread, he explains how this can easily happen with the low bar style. It's extremely important that you keep your chest pushed out even before you take the bar off the rack. If you keep you chest pushed out and try to keep your spine as straight as possible the entire time it will take a serious load off of your lower back. However, if your form is correct you can expect a small amount of soreness down there!

Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Nickd305 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ThatOneLurker View Post
    does anyone get stuck at the bottom of the squat?

I go below parallel but not ATG and my sticking point is horrible down there

Anyone know how to make the bottom of a squat easier?

I do high bar since low bar really starting straining my lower back
    I've found that the bottom of the squat becomes much easier if you follow this method: Slow, tight, and steady on the way down but as soon as you get to that bottom point you should explode up not too fast but certainly much faster than on the way down. This way you get into a nice rhythm.

Originally Posted by TBU720 View Post
    Can anyone explain what the bottom of the squat should FEEL like? I feel a LOT of tension in my groin and hammies. Is this correct? I know these muscles are used during a squat but nobody ever seems to mention a stretching feeling.

It is worthwhile to note that my groin and hammies are extremely tight. Like if I try to do a split, the angle between my legs can get to about 90-100 degrees before the stretch becomes painful.
    Are you using the low-bar or high-bar method? This makes a world of a difference as to which muscles are being relied on most. It says at the beginning of this thread, but I believe that using the low-bar method is the one which uses more hams and glutes. Whereas, the high-bar method uses mainly quads so perhaps you should try the opposite bar method of the one you are currently using and tweak it from there.

Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Garrett6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is a fabulous thread for learning how to squat the right way with good form.

chibidaisuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I do ATG high bar should I just try and drive straight up as vertically as possible? Will it help any if I incorporate a little hip drive?

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    When I do ATG high bar should I just try and drive straight up as vertically as possible? Will it help any if I incorporate a little hip drive?
    Yes... you want to keep your hips back when you are squatting down. That will force you to "drive" your hips up. But it is not like a low bar squat where you are sitting back and then driving your hips forward. It is more of an up-and-down movement.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    Will it help any if I incorporate a little hip drive?
    Yes.

Jayo82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't read anything about the stretch reflex.

check out here:

The stretch reflex produces a
    much harder contraction than would
    be possible without it, one that recruits
    many more motor units than would
    be available without the loaded prestretch
    provided by the lowering phase
    of the lift.

(Rippetoe)

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jayo82 View Post
    I didn't read anything about the stretch reflex.
    Probably because you didn't need to

hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hottydiva87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    my back gets really stiff when i try to execute squats, i dont know why lol..

trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100) trainerprorun is not very well liked. (-100)
    the gotta know

MaseratiJimmy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great Thread

Jeffrey85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squatting is my favorite exercise to do in the gym. This is a very informative post and great to teach the key fundamentals of back squatting. A lot of people forget that its all about form not weight. Great post.

Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dilkington is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome thread, thanks OP

mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mauro2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hate squating

atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50) atwses will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice thread. Lot's of info. Thanks for the help!

JamieArnold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Garrett6 View Post
    This is a fabulous thread for learning how to squat the right way with good form.
    I definitely second that! Most people do squats not even realizing how doing it wrong can seriously lead to back problems :/

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    [b]

1. Step up to the bar, duck under, bring your chest up and your hands inward until the bar is positioned properly on your traps (make sure you're centered). Pull the bar into your body with your hands (elbows back) and tighten your upper body. Your wrists should be straight, and a thumbless grip is okay here if you prefer. Your lower back should be arched inward to maintain a natural curvature. This lower back position must be maintained throughout the squat! Allowing the back to curve outward, or "round", transfers the force of the lift from your muscles to your spine and could cause a disc injury.
    This is the part that always gets me....proper back angle. I know that rounded is bad and straight or 'arched' is good. But do what degree is an arch good? I'm always afraid that if I squat down with an arch (which I tend to have unless I purposely remove it by making my back neutral) and I can't get back up or struggle to push back up, there will be too much pressure put into the arched area of my back, the arch will exaggerate more and I'll throw out my back. Any truth to this?

BMS13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BMS13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick question: Roughly how sore should my lower back be after I squat? I usually don't like doing deadlift the day after I squat because my lower back is fairly sore, wondering if that means my form is off.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by BMS13 View Post
    Quick question: Roughly how sore should my lower back be after I squat? I usually don't like doing deadlift the day after I squat because my lower back is fairly sore, wondering if that means my form is off.
    It could just mean that your lower back isn't conditioned properly yet.

FWIW, I personally don't deadlift the day after I squat. Or vice versa.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    This is the part that always gets me....proper back angle. I know that rounded is bad and straight or 'arched' is good. But do what degree is an arch good? I'm always afraid that if I squat down with an arch (which I tend to have unless I purposely remove it by making my back neutral) and I can't get back up or struggle to push back up, there will be too much pressure put into the arched area of my back, the arch will exaggerate more and I'll throw out my back. Any truth to this?
    This will only happen if you allow the hips to rise before the bar does.. drive your hips through the bar to raise the weight and your body will not overextend. As for the degree of arch, I don't think you need to be thinking "hard arch" to yourself so long as you are flexible enough to get to depth without letting your hips tuck forward.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ...I'm always afraid that if I squat down with an arch (which I tend to have unless I purposely remove it by making my back neutral) and I can't get back up or struggle to push back up, there will be too much pressure put into the arched area of my back, the arch will exaggerate more and I'll throw out my back. Any truth to this?
    An exaggerated arch means you have APT (anterior pelvic tilt). Correct that first before attempting to squat.

jaydot511 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sounds like you suffer from lordosis (as did I at one point). Usually caused by a) bad form that gradually advanced over time b) tight hip flexors c) sitting down too much

You can start with working on fixing and regaining the flexibility there and you'll help your cause. Try investing in a foam roller and releasing deep tissue tightness (initial pain in the beginning but helps with deep deep tightness).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jaydot511; 08-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.

pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000)
    Earlier today I was squatting 240 lbs. And whenever I dropped down with decent speed, once I start driving up I feel the weight on the balls of my feet and I drive thru the balls of my feet for like 1 second, and then the weight shifts back to my heels and drive the rest of the way up thru my heels. When I drive thru my heels it's real easy, but thru the balls of the foot and the weight feels like it's 2x as heavy.

How do I prevent this? I know the answer is to just sit back and don't let my knees go too far forward, or let my chest fall. But my chest always seems to fall whenever I focus on hip drive and when the weight gets heavy.

AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) AwesomeStranger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I really need to focus on my squats more than I have been. This might just be what I need to get that back into action. Thanks!