Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    borgesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Awesome Article

Norton,

The best article I have ever read. It’s awesome and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I am the guy who always said; “I looked great a week ago and looked like crap for the show”. I am also the guy who looked his best the day after the show. Last but not least, I was always the guy who tried different things the last week, only to ruin what I had worked so hard for the previous months. So, with that said, I once again thank you and you better believe I am sticking to what I have been doing so far. Right now, I am 9 days out from showtime, sitting at 4.7% body fat, looking big and lean. I will not change a thing. The only question that remains in my mind is, as far as the morning leading up to prejudging, if the prejudging begins at 10am and I wake up at 6am, I am not quite sure what to eat or how much water to drink. Any suggestions?

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PeteyMac View Post
    Layne I truly appreciate your response back to my questions. I knew that those question were gonna be alittle difficult to to answer, but your series along with your answers will helped me prepare a formula around my own diet thanks again man.

To Fltallpaul: Yes im competing in the OCB southern states. That's cool man I hope to see you there.
    Make sure to come say hi. It's always hectic show day but I will be floating around and have some Scivation samples to try. Class winners will be getting a little something as well.

Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    Best of luck. I will be at the show most likely as well
    I will prepare the guest quarters for you and the Mrs's.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by borgesh View Post
    Norton,

The best article I have ever read. It’s awesome and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I am the guy who always said; “I looked great a week ago and looked like crap for the show”. I am also the guy who looked his best the day after the show. Last but not least, I was always the guy who tried different things the last week, only to ruin what I had worked so hard for the previous months. So, with that said, I once again thank you and you better believe I am sticking to what I have been doing so far. Right now, I am 9 days out from showtime, sitting at 4.7% body fat, looking big and lean. I will not change a thing. The only question that remains in my mind is, as far as the morning leading up to prejudging, if the prejudging begins at 10am and I wake up at 6am, I am not quite sure what to eat or how much water to drink. Any suggestions?
    I may be at the Metropolitan show, my friend is competing.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by borgesh View Post
    Norton,

wait, it was a video? you said you read it? what did you read?

borgesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry, I meant watch. Maybe the diet has me confused, lol. Anyway, thanks once again.

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well i talked about water intake specifically on show day to drink your normal amount but begin just sipping at 2 hours out so you don't feel full. As far as what and how much to eat I simply don't know, I don't know your body I don't know what you've been doing thus far. I would read the information attached to the webcast and watch it again because I believe I discussed that as well. Best of luck!

bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey Layne, quick question regarding pre workouts and similar products.
    I am about 5 weeks out and am starting to find getting through workouts/cardio very tough (as expected). My question is, would taking something like dialene 4 or a pre workout 'pump' like mesomorph affect the ratio of water leading into a show to help with energy as well as help with a pump on the day of the show? Im not sure if i should stop taking caffeine products due to their diuretic properties?
    Thanks for all the advice so far, you've been very very helpful.

werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Contest/Photoshoot

Hey Layne, thanks for all the great info you provide on this site. Its helped me out a lot. I read your comprehensive prep article from a few years ago and was all gung-ho about following that, then I saw the Peak Week series and you threw me off a bit;-) Like I shouldn't take Yohimbe during peak week? D'OH! (throwing my Lipo 6 Black out the window) So since this is a Q&A thread...

Would you prep differently for a photo shoot than for an actual bodybuilding contest? I entered the Transformation Challenge and obviously want to peak just right for my photo day(which is Sunday April 17th). Its not really a contest where I need to hold poses for 10-20 seconds(although I have been practicing per your suggestions!)

I had planned on following your earlier recommendations for sodium depletion and I know a lot of fitness models still cut sodium pre-photo shoot. Are you totally against sodium reduction period, or just for bodybuilding competitions? Thanks!

Also I need to take my pictures around 11am so you think I should wake up super early and start my carb up meals start the night before around 8-10pm? I'm pretty ectomorphic...

Originally Posted by werthclone View Post
    Hey Layne, thanks for all the great info you provide on this site. Its helped me out a lot. I read your comprehensive prep article from a few years ago and was all gung-ho about following that, then I saw the Peak Week series and you threw me off a bit;-) Like I shouldn't take Yohimbe during peak week? D'OH! (throwing my Lipo 6 Black out the window) So since this is a Q&A thread...

Would you prep differently for a photo shoot than for an actual bodybuilding contest? I entered the Transformation Challenge and obviously want to peak just right for my photo day(which is Sunday April 17th). Its not really a contest where I need to hold poses for 10-20 seconds(although I have been practicing per your suggestions!)

I had planned on following your earlier recommendations for sodium depletion and I know a lot of fitness models still cut sodium pre-photo shoot. Are you totally against sodium reduction period, or just for bodybuilding competitions? Thanks!

Also I need to take my pictures around 11am so you think I should wake up super early and start my carb up meals start the night before around 8-10pm? I'm pretty ectomorphic...
    no, I would not sodium deplete. you want to look your best in both situations, doesn't change a thing.

you know your body better than me, if you are very ectomorphic you'll need more time to fill out, exactly how much it's impossible for me to know unless I'd been working with you for a while

werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) werthclone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    no, I would not sodium deplete. you want to look your best in both situations, doesn't change a thing.

you know your body better than me, if you are very ectomorphic you'll need more time to fill out, exactly how much it's impossible for me to know unless I'd been working with you for a while
    Cool thanks.....I had my meals all planned out too, back to the old drawing board! Or just throw salt on everything...

One more question please...(ok maybe more later, but for now just one)

I've been carb cycling for about 6 weeks(11 weeks ago I was 183lb, now 172lb). Protein usually around 300g, about 90-100g carbs on low carb days and about 170-180 on higher carb days. Fat is 40-50g on higher carb days, 60-70g on lower carb. One day a week(usually Sunday) I'll go 300g+ carbs and drop protein to 220g for refeeding. I planned on refeeding again tomorrow, then gradually depleting carbs until the night before picture day.

Should I bottom out where my low carb days have been(around 90g carbs) for depletion, or can I go even lower like down to 30-40g? I realize you don't know my body and how it will react, just looking for an opinion I won't hold it against you if I blow it;-)

Oh and anyone else who wants to give their opinion please feel free...thanks!
    Last edited by werthclone; 04-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.

shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shane14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Layne,

4 weeks out from my first show, 21 yrs, 154lbs want to get to 148 for show day..

my question is about the front load carb approach. right now i am low carb mon-friday 50-60g a day then saturday-sunday i load up pretty high.. what amount of carbs would you recommend me doing a front load on, white rice and oats seem to fill me out nicely.. i am an ecto-meso.

also, have you ever tried the fat-load instead of carb load?
    I rep back every time

soccerstud07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

polyunsaturated fat

Hey Layne, How much polyunsaturated fat do u recommend per day?

TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks a bunch for all this information, currently 9 weeks out from my first comp. and trying to soak up as much information as possible

Quick question...

How do you feel about the (CKD) Ketogenic diet?

I've been on it for a month and 1 week and am losing weight fine (guessing 17% > 11%), I jst wanna make sure its a good approach. (aiming for a 5% bf contest)

Any info will help

Thanks

edit

Jst read your other thread, and you answered a lot of my questions, thanks again.
    Last edited by TheNaturalOak; 04-14-2011 at 11:49 AM.

simonsurfer21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome article, Im starting my cut in May for my first comp in July and its been great reading and listening to u bust myths from the gym. Real information backed up by science, perfect! Thanks this really helps. Im just hoping my competition dont see these articles. ha ha.. S
    Keep on keeping on!

only 6lbs of pressure calmlikewind's Avatar
    calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) calmlikewind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    your an truly inspiration man....keep up the work!
    ASOT Crew| [IIFYM Crew]|alanaragonblog.com|The Legion of Good Samaritans |*Knee Draggers Crew*|☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆|++positive crew++| la vérité

Speak or act with a pure mind
    And happiness will follow you
    As your shadow, unshakable.

you ever down or depressed you can talk to someone about it!

Originally Posted by werthclone View Post
    Cool thanks.....I had my meals all planned out too, back to the old drawing board! Or just throw salt on everything...

One more question please...(ok maybe more later, but for now just one)

I've been carb cycling for about 6 weeks(11 weeks ago I was 183lb, now 172lb). Protein usually around 300g, about 90-100g carbs on low carb days and about 170-180 on higher carb days. Fat is 40-50g on higher carb days, 60-70g on lower carb. One day a week(usually Sunday) I'll go 300g+ carbs and drop protein to 220g for refeeding. I planned on refeeding again tomorrow, then gradually depleting carbs until the night before picture day.

Should I bottom out where my low carb days have been(around 90g carbs) for depletion, or can I go even lower like down to 30-40g? I realize you don't know my body and how it will react, just looking for an opinion I won't hold it against you if I blow it;-)

Oh and anyone else who wants to give their opinion please feel free...thanks!
    i probably wouldn't go THAT low, but maybe slightly lower than your lowest low day

Originally Posted by shane14 View Post
    Hey Layne,

4 weeks out from my first show, 21 yrs, 154lbs want to get to 148 for show day..

my question is about the front load carb approach. right now i am low carb mon-friday 50-60g a day then saturday-sunday i load up pretty high.. what amount of carbs would you recommend me doing a front load on, white rice and oats seem to fill me out nicely.. i am an ecto-meso.

also, have you ever tried the fat-load instead of carb load?
    well exactly how high is high? and why are you loading 2 days straight? IMO you can severely set yourself back with 2 consecutive days of refeeding unless you are very ectomorphic

Originally Posted by TheNaturalOak View Post
    Thanks a bunch for all this information, currently 9 weeks out from my first comp. and trying to soak up as much information as possible

Quick question...

How do you feel about the (CKD) Ketogenic diet?

I've been on it for a month and 1 week and am losing weight fine (guessing 17% > 11%), I jst wanna make sure its a good approach. (aiming for a 5% bf contest)

Any info will help

Thanks

edit

Jst read your other thread, and you answered a lot of my questions, thanks again.
    it just depends on the individual. I don't know enough about your metabolism to know if it's great for you or if it's terrible for you.

this goes for everyone, I really am happy to answer peak week questions, but I can't just take a look at a snap shot of your diet and say "oh yea this diet is perfect for you" or "this diet is terrible for you". There is no diet that will work for everyone. Everyone responds at least slightly differently and some people respond VERY differently. This is something I work with clients for months' to figure out. The most I can do here is make sure you guys don't make silly mistakes in the last week. Anyone who claims they can just look at you and your diet and tell you exactly what you should do is either A) a wizard or B) an arrogant liar. It just takes time to understand someone's metabolism and how they respond to various manipulations of diet/training.

Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Before I ask any specifics regarding training and diet. Do you think I can get down to a competitive bf%/state if I am currently at 8% and I'm exactly 3 weeks out? I've been told I should have been around 7% last week. I've been following your contest prep article strictly for 17 weeks now, losing about 18lbs and roughly 8-10% bf.

Most importantly I've done everything imaginable to retain the most muscle. Making sure to never be in a catabolic state was of primary importance. So can it be done in 3 weeks? Please advise, and thanks for all your help!

do you have current pictures? what is your current pro/carb/fat intake?

Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do you have current pictures? what is your current pro/carb/fat intake?
    No current pictures but I can have some up in a day or two. I'm 5'8.5", 161 lbs

As for macros its 225-275g pro/50-100g carb/30-50g fat.
    On leg day I take in anywhere from 150-250g carbs and reduce protein to about 175.
    All carbs are taken around my workout to ensure better nutrient partitioning.

Fats only come from almonds, salmon, fish oil. 1 egg yolk ever week. I cut out red meat 4 weeks ago.

Its my first show by the way. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by Kenacillin View Post
    No current pictures but I can have some up in a day or two. I'm 5'8.5", 161 lbs

As for macros its 225-275g pro/50-100g carb/30-50g fat.
    On leg day I take in anywhere from 150-250g carbs and reduce protein to about 175.
    All carbs are taken around my workout to ensure better nutrient partitioning.

Fats only come from almonds, salmon, fish oil. 1 egg yolk ever week. I cut out red meat 4 weeks ago.

Its my first show by the way. Thanks for your help.
    well i will need pictures to asses. how much cardio are you doing?

rjjjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjjjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjjjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5 weeks out

Hey man I just wanna say ur freak sick....I hope to get like that one day. Can u looney my default and tell me how I look for 5 weeks out of my first contest? Thanks

looney my default?

rjjjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjjjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rjjjay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look at my* sry iPod keyboard sucks lol

adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rjjjay View Post
    Look at my* sry iPod keyboard sucks lol
    http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

well based on that one pictures I'd say you are doing well though I'd probably like you a bit further along but you certainly aren't out of range at all

Thanks very much I just switched my cardio to 39 min hiit in the mornin and 30 min moderate intensity after my workout 6 days aweek weight training but I take off the morning cardio the day after legs and back days

wink89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi layne just wanted to say first of all i,m huge fan! I've been following your prep all the way through unique combination, using ectomorph. I started at 190 and am now 175 calipers are reading 3% but i no i can get leaner ultimate goal would to look like father flex (I no it won't happened but everyone has a dream). couple questions

1) 3 weeks out is there any possible way i can get to 165 ? training has been 6 days a week legs twice every other body part once. Starting macros where 2700/300/200/65 now they are 2500/265/160/75 i re feed every leg day to 350 carbs /180 grams protein zero extra fat. My supplements are also all in check same as u suggest for peak week and i plan on following that also. i might try a 30 day clensing system for the next three weeks heard u can loose 5 pounds just inside you ? thats what the lady at gnc told me and shouldnt affect my nutrition or supplements ?

any responses from others would be greatly appreciated

strong first post i know could really use the help guys thanks

can get other pics if needed display is 3.5 weeks out with zero tan
    the reason want to get to 165 is next highest weight class is 187 and under regional show also.
    Last edited by wink89; 04-18-2011 at 03:26 PM.

dkwade37 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leangains diet

Hey Layne. Awesome article. I am actually 4 weeks out and plan on doing your peak week training and nutrition. I gave myself eleven weeks for the competition. Currently, I believe that I am behind even though I have been really strict with my diet. During the first 6 weeks, I followed the normal cutting diet eating 6 small meals a day. However, I found Martin Berkhan's leangains and diet and have been doing it for 1 week now. I lost 3 pounds on it.
    Martin's diet is based on intermittent fasting and consumes daily calories in three large meals. he backs up his research and even with experts such as alan aragon. At first I had my doubts but i have more energy training fasted. Fasted Training is not completely fasted because you still consume 10 grams of bcaa. I was wondering what was your opinion on his method because I have been experiencing positive results.
    I have more energy and am less hungry than on a typical 6-8 meals diet. Just wanted to get your expert input.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast