Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Supplements Higgs Boson IsaacJewton's Avatar
    IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10) IsaacJewton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Amazing thread, thanks OP. Really helped me to properly understand keto and actually lay to rest a lot of misconceptions I was told by people. Cutting great (and loving it) on my keto diet I've been running for a few weeks.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by IsaacJewton; 06-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    KETOGENIC BRAH

melendfi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Thank you, Thank you Thank you

There are no other words I can use to express. This has been so helpful, specially for me that just got started and like to consume as much good information as possible. You have answered all my questions.
    --Goal 187# @ 10-12% Body Fat by May 2018

Progress:
    Jan 2018: 197# 21.0 % Body Fat
    Feb 2018: 189# 17.5 % Body Fat
    Mar 2018:
    Apr 2018:
    May 2018:

Leveraging UD2 methodology to achieve gaols.

buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really really helpful guide thanks heaps, just wondering though how important is it to have 5% carbs in your daily intake, i've done my daily meal plan and ended up with only 1% carbs lol is this too low??

samatkinson87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all, I'm a new starter to the ketogenic diet and could do with a few pointers. I've read reams and reams of info and i'm getting a 80:20 fat: protein ratio advised among everything else. When home, I train 4 times a week, high reps, high intensity and i'm worried that on this kind of diet, I am going to lose muscle mass? I'm no Mr Universe, but I dont want to lose the muscle I've got. I'm only 5 days in but I work away so it's been hard eating the diet I want....I didnt realise certain salads were such a big no-no!

I've been having bacon and fried eggs for breakfast, a casein shake at about 11, a couple of tins of mackeral at 3, then either steak or fish at 8/9pm and I might have a small shake before bed.

I'm sat at a desk all day for work, so I train high intensity for 30/40 mins every night in the hotel gym; from what I've read, "If you don't keep your calories high enough, the body will strip it's own lean tissue for nutrition" I'm worried that I'm not getting enough fat for energy but dont want to stuff my face and end up going the other way and eating too much.

I will be able to control my diet once I'm home but I want to make sure I get off on the right foot.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers
    Last edited by samatkinson87; 06-23-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Slimjonny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

Just watched a video of Stephen Phinney, author of 'The art and sciece of low carb living', and the low carb performance book. I cant post the link as I'm a new member.

He states that if you have 1 day of too many carbs, it will take 2-3 weeks to get back into ketosis, seems a long time to me, if it were true, then these CKD diets wouldnt be optimal.
    Also regarding the fat content, I know on this site it's suggested you need 65% fat, he says it should be higher, 70-85% is what they recommend in the books.

Regarding the fat breakdown, they also say it should be mostly mono and sat fats, you need less PUFA's on a high fat diet, they state 'it is dangerous' to consume too much PUFA while on a high fat diet.

Any views on this?

Cheers

1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    VERY impressed with this. THANK YOU for taking the time. What an incredible resource this will be to share with others. If I were you, I would set up a website, post this up there, make it a bit more pretty maybe, allow free access to it if people sign up. Track the traffic and when and if it starts to really hit, then monetize it with ads so you can makes some money. That is if it's all original content. You've got a money maker here. Great job.

Krniss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pinkmonkey View Post
    Hi just wondering how much fat have you lost and what kind of exercise did you do while on ketosis thanks a mil.
    I stopped doing a scale... In the first two weeks, I lost 12 lbs. My exercise was primarily weight training.

Krniss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ECA stack

Has anyone done an ECA stack while in ketosis?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Krniss View Post
    I stopped doing a scale... In the first two weeks, I lost 12 lbs. My exercise was primarily weight training.
    Water weight is quite amazing.
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Grifts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Krniss View Post
    Has anyone done an ECA stack while in ketosis?
    I don't think its ever been tried before.
    www.squidoo.com/keto-diet

Was 300+ lbs.
    Logs
    90 day XAT-7 and Cardio Igniter forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146779723
    TEST-PEAK http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149177173
    2013 BB.com challenge log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150876933

Sugar Alcohols...Explained http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151110953

Metabolic advantage of keto diet: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153834101

kissmark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Guys, first time posting here and I have a question.
    Just, is there any relationship between keto diet and hypothyroidism? Is there any chances of having hypothyroidism due to low carb?

Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thujone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Amazing post. I am going to start this program tomorrow morning.

Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome post man. I've been a long time reader of this website but I signed up to give you props for this post. I've got a question regarding alcohol and the keto diet? Can they co-exist? I'm talking about drinking once a week, but really givin 'er on that one day a week, around 12-15oz of vodka or whiskey, straight, on ice or with club soda. I heard that alcohol can't be stored as fat and is metabolized very quickly.

I'm starting the keto diet on August 8th, after my vacation. I've lost 50 lbs in the last year, going from 212 lbs to 162 lbs. Now I just want to lose the stubborn last 8 or 9 pounds.

1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
    Awesome post man. I've been a long time reader of this website but I signed up to give you props for this post. I've got a question regarding alcohol and the keto diet? Can they co-exist? I'm talking about drinking once a week, but really givin 'er on that one day a week, around 12-15oz of vodka or whiskey, straight, on ice or with club soda. I heard that alcohol can't be stored as fat and is metabolized very quickly.

I'm starting the keto diet on August 8th, after my vacation. I've lost 50 lbs in the last year, going from 212 lbs to 162 lbs. Now I just want to lose the stubborn last 8 or 9 pounds.
    I am new here, and may not know quite as much as others, but I felt compelled to give you my two cents. I have been on a ketogenic diet for 2 months now. I am well read on the subject and have learned a lot through my own experience. The amount of alcohol you are talking about will knock you out of ketosis and slow your progress down. You could consider CKD, yet to consider such a diet for the sake of drinking would be somewhat backwards. I had a similar experience, yet not with alcohol. I wanted a one day splurge day, only because I wanted to enjoy some foods that I normally cannot partake in - so it was a similar dynamic to yours. So I convinced myself that CKD was for me. That one splurge day was the worst possible thing I could have ever done to my diet. It took
    me at least a week to return to ketosis. I gained a ton of water weight back and felt like crap. You can return more quickly if you are submerged in a serious weight training regimen, yet my program is far from that. I do mostly cardio and only one day of weight training. I would suggest if it's only 9 pounds you want to lose - do it sober. Stick it out, get the weight off - then return to a program that will allow you to drink. IMHO, alcohol and ketosis absolutely do not mix. Booze is just far too high in carbs.

It would however be funny and interesting to attempt CKD and have your carb up be a "liquor up". You'd have to really get tough and do some intense weight training for the rest of the week, but you might be able to pull it off without slowing down your weight loss.
    Last edited by 1976pianoman; 07-24-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gally94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 1976pianoman View Post
    I am new here, and may not know quite as much as others, but I felt compelled to give you my two cents. I have been on a ketogenic diet for 2 months now. I am well read on the subject and have learned a lot through my own experience. The amount of alcohol you are talking about will knock you out of ketosis and slow your progress down. You could consider CKD, yet to consider such a diet for the sake of drinking would be somewhat backwards. I had a similar experience, yet not with alcohol. I wanted a one day splurge day, only because I wanted to enjoy some foods that I normally cannot partake in - so it was a similar dynamic to yours. So I convinced myself that CKD was for me. That one splurge day was the worst possible thing I could have ever done to my diet. It took
    me at least a week to return to ketosis. I gained a ton of water weight back and felt like crap. You can return more quickly if you are submerged in a serious weight training regimen, yet my program is far from that. I do mostly cardio and only one day of weight training. I would suggest if it's only 9 pounds you want to lose - do it sober. Stick it out, get the weight off - then return to a program that will allow you to drink. IMHO, alcohol and ketosis absolutely do not mix. Booze is just far too high in carbs.

It would however be funny and interesting to attempt CKD and have your carb up be a "liquor up". You'd have to really get tough and do some intense weight training for the rest of the week, but you might be able to pull it off without slowing down your weight loss.
    Thanks for the reply. I do have an intense workout regime. I'm in the middle of nowhere for the summer, working 3 days a week only, so I have plenty of time and not many temptations. Since the beginning of June I have been working out 6 days a week and doing 30 mins of medium intensity cardio 6 times a week. I have gone from 172 to 162 in a month and a half.

I never ever crave any types of food. I don't know if that's a quality I have or if I just don't know how to listen to my body. Which is why this ''extreme'' diet that requires ''extreme'' dedication seems like something I could pull off.

My question regarding the alcohol is actually to determine whether I start the diet tomorrow morning or after my vacation. Once I come back from vacation, I will have no problem cutting the alcohol down to once a week and limiting it to a few drinks, or even cutting it out completely.

Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
    My question regarding the alcohol is actually to determine whether I start the diet tomorrow morning or after my vacation. Once I come back from vacation, I will have no problem cutting the alcohol down to once a week and limiting it to a few drinks, or even cutting it out completely.
    Enjoy your vacation brother! Drink up and start your program when you get back. That's what I would do.

Enjoy your vacation brother! Drink up and start your program when you get back. That's what I would do.
    Thanks bro! You're right, I'll get the partying out of my system and go 110% when I get back. I'm going to start a log on the site when I do to keep the accountability, check it out when I start!

tzotsiak88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

guys i need some help converting my height pls because i am not sure
    i am 174 cm should i put 58 or 68 in the calculator?
    thx

Originally Posted by tzotsiak88 View Post
    guys i need some help converting my height pls because i am not sure
    i am 174 cm should i put 58 or 68 in the calculator?
    thx
    174 cm is 68.5 inches

mmafan232 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anyone tried combining a keto diet with interment fasting?

celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) celicaboy84 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Originally Posted by mmafan232 View Post
    Has anyone tried combining a keto diet with interment fasting?
    I started today actually! I'll let you know how it goes for me
    If I can lose 130 lbs anybody can

Consistency is key

tzotsiak88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    174 cm is 68.5 inches
    thanks m8 i was using 58 and was too low on cals
    now one more question about activity rating. at least 5 days/week of intense weight lifting followed by some cardio 3/4 days/week but most of the rest of my time im not active. activities like gaming on pc etc.
    is 1.6 high for me ?

Spynghotoh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the guide bro, I've been on this diet for the past week and actually I feel amazing. It even seems to have cured me of lactose intolerance (although I don't know if it was this or some other weird thing that was giving me problems). So much energy and fat loss AND I get to still use ranch dressing (only reason my food isn't bland), I don't see any downsides at all

No Fat Man Coffin For ME! rleigh1977's Avatar
    rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rleigh1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great information and I've learned a lot and I still have a lot to learn....

abrarraviv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your ratio is wrong, not to sound like an ass but from wat i've read, it should be 65/30/5 (f/p/c) not 60/35/5

Originally Posted by tzotsiak88 View Post
    thanks m8 i was using 58 and was too low on cals
    now one more question about activity rating. at least 5 days/week of intense weight lifting followed by some cardio 3/4 days/week but most of the rest of my time im not active. activities like gaming on pc etc.
    is 1.6 high for me ?
    IMO, what you are doing is more than enough. I have no idea what "activity rating" is. It sounds like you are perfect and have nothing to worry about. I know a lot, but am no expert. You might want to ask your question again in another keto thread, not this sticky thread. (I don't think sticky threads are the best place to ask questions - they are places to get information)
    Go with God.

caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000) caveycavey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm not really sure if i'm in ketosis. I never did the zero carb and the HIIT. I just did 5% carbs , 65% fat and 30% protien and have been on it for about 2 weeks when i started was more like 2% carbs. I'm 186lbs maybe about 20% bf. 2200 cals daily. I sometimes go over my 165g protein by sometimes 30g, but carbs are always below 25g after fibre. I get the metallic taste in my mouth and have had some sluggish days but didn't know if it was just cos i got up and felt lazy (more so today the 14th day).I workout 5 straight days and take off the weekend. Lift heavy but i only get 30 mins to workout but i get my bodypart done in that time and I always give 100%.I have lost about a couple of pounds but have never been one for the scales. Just wondered cos I don't have fruit smelling pee, and i drink around 4L of water a day, and I have a manual job where i'm on my feet all day.

CanopicJar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read through this guide a couple of months ago and began the diet change about 5 weeks ago. I have been making good ketones regularly since then and have dropped 20lbs. I started at 184 and am now at 164. I would like to get down into the mid 150's and then level off. My plan is to stay on the restricted carb diet permanently. My main form of exercise is cycling. I started riding again about a week ago and I am enjoying my new body on the cycle.

My question is this: What can i eat to stay fueled on longer rides? I need fuel for rides longer than an hour... I used to pack payday candy bar and a banana for my long rides. Is ok to eat these on long rides now?

wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100) wesleycneill is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by shadowwalker021 View Post

Keto FAQ

No. The ketogenic diet is far more natural for human beings than a diet high in grains and refined sugars. The current diet based on grains and sugars is completely foreign to the human body, and is responsible for most of the diseases and ailments that we face today (diabetes, heart disease, depression, ADD, obesity, alzheimer's, cancers, etc etc etc).
    [/u]
    First, I love the article! However the above statement is dramatized and largely speculative, or at the very least theoretical. There are too many contributing factors to most of the "diseases" you listed to say that grains and sugars are "responsible". In order to be taken more seriously I'd leave that bit out.

IronmanDeepu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Keto/T3 hormone

Hey,Your post if awesome! But what about the T3 Hormone balance.I read that the refeed very week is to kick your body's hormone levels back to normal and let the body know that you are not starving to prevent any muscle wastage.I am planning to start a keto diet.I train heavy 5 days a week.Do you think its safe to stay on zero carbs for two weeks or more and then refeed as you said!