Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Read the stickies, you are doing it wrong

Oatmeal and bananas aren't keto!!!

Forget about macro percentages
    Aim for 0.8g protein per lb of lbm
    <30g carbs per day from fibrous veggies
    Rest of cals in fat

Also why are you saying "bad fats"? Saturated fats are extremely good for you, butter, eggs, lard, cream are perfectly fine. The only fats to avoid are seed oils like veg oil, canola oil, cotton seed oil etc

As it stands your set up and meal plans are wrong, also your lifts would suffer on SKD and you should research CKD or TKD

Originally Posted by Jbaker1121 View Post
    Hey everyone

Starting today I'm switching my diet to KETO... I've been trying to cut down my BF and have been hitting a plateau at just under 220 lbs with a diet around 2k-2500cals, with no real muscle mass growing and no BF dropping. Then I did a mini-bulk while home from school over winter break and am at ~225 again hitting a plateau. If I eat less than 2k cals I Can't get a good workout in an feel sluggish all day, even with an "adjusted" diet.
    so, looking to KETO for help.

Only thing I'm worried about is switching to a diet high in fat... because I'm been trying to avoid "bad" fats for a while and it's strange to me to see people talking about eating bacon and gobs of cheese on a "diet" because I haven't had bacon in forever, nor do I cook with butter/anything but light virgin olive oil...
    anyway..

I did the calculations and here's what I came up with:

*Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 7.2*

23/M/6'2" | CW 222 | 20% BF | Moderately active

* 2000 kcal Goal, a 38% deficit. (1989 min, 3216 max)
    * 25g Carbohydrates
    * 175g Protein (107g min, 178g max)
    * 133g Fat (133g min, 268g max)

(This makes it the 60/35/5 ratio recommended by Keto advocates)

I've also switched up my workout schedule due to my class schedule... MWF heavy lifting + ~20m cardio, T/TH cardio only ~45min, S/S if I'm not sore I'll work out again, otherwise cardio both days.

My problem is with calculating carbs/fats properly.. do you subtract carbs/fat grams from exercise, like calories?
    For example, Im using an app "Lose it!" to track my cals. It also subtracts from estimated cal consumption for workouts...but not carbs

so today, for example, I ate the following so far: (calories/fat/carbs are according to the app)

BREAKFAST
    Oatmeal approx 1/3 a cup - 100 cal / 18g Carb / 2g Fat / 3.3g Protein
    2 egg omelette - 180 cal / 0.8g Carb / 14.1g Fat / 12.5g Protein
    1 ounce goat cheese 103 cal / 0.7 Carb / 8.5g Fat / 6.1g Protein
    Banana medium-size 105 Cal / 27gCarb / 0.4g Fat / 1.3g protein
    Mache Rosette (greens) 5 Cal / 2.5gCarb/ 0g Fat / 1g Protein
    TOTAL BREAKFAST 493 Cal / 49 Carb/ 25g Fat / 24.2g Protein (yes I know Carbs weare high - forgot bananas had so many)

WORKOUT (these are all approximates, obviously)
    approx 1hr "Vigorous" - 529 Cal
    Approx .5Hr "moderate" - 106 Cal
    Running @ ~6mph 15 min - 155 Cal
    TOTAL - 746 Cal (approx)

NET CALS AFTER WORKOUT = -253 Cals Carbs? Fats?

the problem here is the app says nothing about carbs/fats, etc. How do I know what to subtract?
    I think I read somewhere that 1g carb = 4 calories? I'm just not sure how to come up with my "true" total carbs/fats for the day with exercise.

I found a quote online - "carbs, protein and fat are macro's that make up all the food we eat, and each contain calories, 4 per gram, 4 per gram and 9 per gram respectively."

example: "If you walk for 60 minutes, you might burn 500 total calories, of which 250 calories of fat get used up. 250 calories is just under 28 grams of fat."
    from here: http://howtomanguide.com/2013/06/die...ring-exercise/

Any help would be appreciated, and I can repp! I just need to be able to properly count my fats/carbs for the day

Cliffs:
    how do I subtract fat/carb from my daily intake if I work out? Need to calculate actual daily carbs/fats w/ exercise
    It's YOU vs YOU

Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by andymant View Post
    Read the stickies, you are doing it wrong

Oatmeal and bananas aren't keto!!!

Forget about macro percentages
    Aim for 0.8g protein per lb of lbm
    <30g carbs per day from fibrous veggies
    Rest of cals in fat

Also why are you saying "bad fats"? Saturated fats are extremely good for you, butter, eggs, lard, cream are perfectly fine. The only fats to avoid are seed oils like veg oil, canola oil, cotton seed oil etc

As it stands your set up and meal plans are wrong, also your lifts would suffer on SKD and you should research CKD or TKD
    Well I know a lot of Keto people eat bacon, butter, lard, etc but I'm not trying to raise my cholesterol and have a heart attack when I'm 50, so I'm still going to try and avoid too much cholesterol. Before this I was only eating turkey or chicken sausage, 98% fat free turkey deli meat, fish, and bison meat...
    Only thing from that list I don't mind is eggs, but I only have 4 yolks tops and the rest is whites. The only oil I use is extra light virgin olive oil. As you can see I was focused on a low-fat diet.

If you read what I wrote above, I mentioned made a mistake by eating the banana. However, I wasn't aware oats "aren't keto" because I've read the sticky in its entirety and although it isn't listed, I read people eating oats and oatmeal as a pre workout ONLY. So that's what I did both of these were eaten prior to a 2hr workout - This is based on TKD principles of eating carbs only before and after a workout.... I'm sure I burned through both.

Today is a cardio-only day so the only extra carbs I'll be getting are from vegetables, and I plan on only eating carbs other than vegetables on "refeed" days (after doing carbs from veg only for a couple weeks straight) ... so basically a CKD. Also TKD. Taken from the TKD page on bb "...if you are only doing a moderate intensity paced cardio sessions, it isn't likely that you need the carbohydrates in your diet either so you can remove them from those days if you wish as well."

I don't get why you're telling me to avoid counting the grams of fats and carbs in the cals I burn from exercise. How will I know how much fat/carbs I've really taken in without being able to count what I've burned semi-accurately? Isn't part of the diet being able to count your specific intake of fats and carbs? I don't want to just be guessing. I've been trying to do a calorie-counting diet for a while now and keep plateauing. I think it would be best to cut out unneeded excess carbs.

I guess that's the part I'm confused about. If you read what I just said this is basically a TKD/CKD moreso than a SKD.
    I ate non-veg carbs before a workout -- TKD
    I don't each excess carbs aka nothing but from veg - CKD
    I am planning on doing no non-veg carbs at all except for refeed days.

Please tell me about today's diet: I adjusted my meals based on my keto research;

BREAKFAST

4 whole eggs 361 Cal / 28.2g Fat / 1.7g carb / 25.1g Protein
    10 oz sirloin steak 788 Cal / 52.3g Fat/ 0g Carb / 74.1g Protein
    1/2 Avocado 161 Cal / 14.7g Fat/ 8.6g Carb/ 2g Protein
    small tomato 15C / 0.2g F / 3.2g C / .7g P
    Mache Rosette (greens) <10C 0 2c 0
    tsp of goat cheese 50C 10 4 5

Totals According to app: ~1400 Cals / ~102g Protein / ~13g Carbs / ~95g Fats

I usually don't eat like this for breakfast, took me a while to finish it. I usually had oatmeal/cereal, fruit/yogurt/granola, etc. Just started eating eggs again about a month ago after getting a diet regimen from a friend in natural bodybuilding. It was his "cut" diet.

Also had 2x Omega 6 pills + Multivitamin: nutrition facts here: (doesn't state specific gram amounts)
    javascript:gnc.showPopUp('http://www.********/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-10516069_gnclabel_pdf.pdf','GNC_Label','width=640, height=480,left=100,top=0,toolbar=no,directories=n o,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=ye s')

Does a meal with these numbers meet a Keto diet better, without needing to eat a mountain of cholesterol?
    If I plan on 45min cardio sesh, how do I do what to subtract from my intake besides a calorie estimate?

after eating minimal carbs for a few days, I've already been retaining less water and feel less bloated, and I'm back down to a lower weight in the morning. I also took 5 days off from lifting (because I was home for the weekend) so I felt great in the gym yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

edit:

here's my lunch and dinner 1 (I have an awkward 5:30-8:30 class but get out of class at 2 so lunch is 2:30 and 'dinner' is at 5:00, then I eat again at 8:45ish (a light meal)

Lunch:

spaghetti squash 1.5cup 52Cal / 0.5g F / 12.5g Carb/ 1.3g Pro
    Italian sausage 1 ~ 125C / 7.1g F / 1.8g Cb / 13.5g Pro
    Rao's marinara .3 cup 33cal / 2g F / 3.3g Carb / 0.7g Pro
    Cherry pepper 1 2 / 0 / 0.5 / 0
    Portobello mushroom .3
    2% Milk 1 cup (~45 min after) 122Cal / 4.8g Fat / 11.7g carb/ 8.1g Pro

TOTALS according to app: 341 Cal / 9.6g Fat / 17.6g Carb / 15.5g Pro

Dinner 1: same as Lunch, but a chicken breast instead of sausage
    spaghetti squash 1.5cup 52Cal / 0.5g F / 12.5g Carb/ 1.3g Pro
    Grilled Chicken Breast ~8 oz 248Cal/ 8g Fat / 0g Crb / 44g protein
    Rao's marinara .3 cup 33cal / 2g F / 3.3g Carb / 0.7g Pro
    Cherry pepper 1 2 / 0 / 0.5 / 0
    Portobello mushroom .3

TOTALS according to app: 342Cal/ 10.5g F/ 16.3g Carb/ 46g Protein

TOTALS as of Bfast/Lunch/Dinner1: 2180 Cal / 131g Fat / 80g Carbs / 178g Protein

(-~300Cal ish for cardio for 30min)

This leaves my percentages for today at: 53%Fat 15%Carb 32%Protein

Which I think is appropriate for Keto-style. The carb g's could be lower, of course.
    Last edited by Jbaker1121; 02-27-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    280lb---->215 ---> Injury + life ---> 225 ---> Goal: Aesthetics

Progress thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157415253&p=1144186993#post1144186993

andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andymant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jbaker1121 View Post
    Well I know a lot of Keto people eat bacon, butter, lard, etc but I'm not trying to raise my cholesterol and have a heart attack when I'm 50, so I'm still going to try and avoid too much cholesterol.
    Lol ^^

So far wrong it's scary! Saturated fat doesn't cause heart attacks and neither does cholesterol levels associated with keto!!!

Honestly do some more research on what causes heart attacks as it ain't saturated fat my friend.....
    It's YOU vs YOU

Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10) Robertosis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lol ^^

So far wrong it's scary! Saturated fat doesn't cause heart attacks and neither does cholesterol levels associated with keto!!!

Honestly do some more research on what causes heart attacks as it ain't saturated fat my friend.....
    You just can't help some people ;-)

Originally Posted by Robertosis View Post
    Seems to be a common factor on here recently! All he needs to do is research, read and learn. For example I did 6 months research, read, stalked this forum without an account until I understood what keto could offer. Recently people are jumping on the band wagon without a shred of knowledge on the subject and expect members to do it all for them!

Read stickies thn ask questions that's the least one could do!!!!
    It's YOU vs YOU

Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lol ^^

OK but eating bacon every day and cooking everything in butter to "add fats" isn't associated with cholesterol and Keto?

Why don't you tell me what is "wrong" instead of just saying it's "wrong"...?

Originally Posted by Robertosis View Post
    Seems to be a common factor on here recently! All he needs to do is research, read and learn. For example I did 6 months research, read, stalked this forum without an account until I understood what keto could offer. Recently people are jumping on the band wagon without a shred of knowledge on the subject and expect members to do it all for them!

Read stickies thn ask questions that's the least one could do!!!!
    I've read every sticky about it, I know how to do research. I did research before actually starting. I have a "shred" of knowledge.

I'm asking if my macros are correct because they match the percentages... because I want to measure the gram of fat/carbs properly when trying to do this dieT in order to factor in exercising and weight training. Then people tell me not to measure the macros, etc. - then people say I'm doing it wrong.....with no correction

"your meal plans are wrong" Okay, so what is a correction? I read the stickies and made meals based on them.
    (besides the oatmeal and banana, I know those were incorrect but I had to go food shopping)

besides that mistake, all my other meals have been keto-friendly according to the macros and percentages estimated and calculated by the nutrition facts, etc. I just don't know what to subtract for exercise, and whether that subtracts from total G carbs in the day, for example. Same with fats. Ex if I use 500cal working out, should I be calculated the macros of fats/carbs that go into that 500cal and subtracting them from the daily intake? or do I ignore that and just add everything up, disregarding the exercise? Last I asked I was told to "ignore" that - which doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not going to start eating bacon and start slathering everything in butter. I don't care if that's the norm with you guys. The only thing on the proffered list above I would eat is EGGS. No lard, no bacon, no mountain of butter, etc. only oil I use is olive oil and I can get the proper fats from that (I also take omega oil supps and multis)

I read nutrition facts and have been looking here http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/ for not only just a list but a list featuring nutrition facts or everything they recommend.

You guys can help by reading the meals/diet posted and recommend changes instead of just saying I'm wrong.

If I though I knew what I was doing I wouldn't have asked for the assistance

Since I started this style of eating (around a week despite the banana/oatmeal fiasco) I haven't seen 220+ in 3 days (Started around 224) and have noticed a loss of fat around my chest/armpit area....So something must be right.
    Last edited by Jbaker1121; 03-04-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    280lb---->215 ---> Injury + life ---> 225 ---> Goal: Aesthetics

Progress thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157415253&p=1144186993#post1144186993

vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello guys, couple beginner questions here:

1) Does meal timing count during a calorie deficit KD ?
    2) My goal now is burning the body fat, so a non CKD is the way to go for me. What exactly does Intense training refer to? As far as I understood, low-moderate intensity cardio is ok, but can we do weight training and not need to refeed? What sort of symptoms would indicate that a reefed is necessary?
    3) Anyone had problems with staying in Ketosis if they consumed whey protein after the workout (or other time during day to meet protein needs more easily)? Also, is there a maximum amount of protein allowed in one meal (i.m thinking neoglucogenesis or something)?

Also, do any of these questions have different responses if we are more than 3 weeks into the diet (fat burning adapted) vs <3 weeks in ?

Thank you !
    Last edited by vlad11; 03-19-2014 at 04:26 AM.

1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by vlad11 View Post
    Hello guys, couple beginner questions here:

1) Does meal timing count during a calorie deficit KD ?
    2) My goal now is burning the body fat, so a non CKD is the way to go for me. What exactly does Intense training refer to? As far as I understood, low-moderate intensity cardio is ok, but can we do weight training and not need to refeed? What sort of symptoms would indicate that a reefed is necessary?
    3) Anyone had problems with staying in Ketosis if they consumed whey protein after the workout (or other time during day to meet protein needs more easily)? Also, is there a maximum amount of protein allowed in one meal (i.m thinking neoglucogenesis or something)?

Also, do any of these questions have different responses if we are more than 3 weeks into the diet (fat burning adapted) vs <3 weeks in ?

Thank you !
    Hi Vlad,

You should start a new thread and repost your question there. That's a far more effective way to reach members that are active on this board whom can help you. When you post here, the only ones who see it are those who have subscribed to this thread by commenting in the past - and this thread is very old.

I can answer some of your questions, yet I'm confused as to if you are wanting to do a straight KD or a re-feed variation. I am not the best source of unbiased info when it comes to the two re-feed Keto diets. I don't believe in them. I strongly feel that keto should only be used for rapid fat burning. Once you are done with the fat burring, then stop keto and do a proper bulk diet for building muscle as fast as possible. Others that do the re-feeds will swear by them, but they are few and far between.

I'll just answer what has worked for me:

1. Meal timing does not matter when it comes to a KD. (However, meal timing does matter when it comes to your workouts if you are bulking. A post workout meal or protein shake has proven to be beneficial for muscle growth.)
    2. Ask someone else.
    3. No problems staying in keto after a whey protein shake. Yet you will have problems finding a whey protein shake that contains no carbs. Some are sold as such, but are mislabeled and will knock you out of keto. If you can get 100% pure whey protein (without additives) that would be best. I had a hard time finding this. I'm not sure this product even exists for consumers. The best zero carb whey product that is easy to find, that is truly zero carb is Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb Whey Protein Isolate.

You will have a hard time exceeding maximum protein allowed on a keto diet. It's a very high protein/high fat science. However, it is said that it is possible to overdo the protein, yet I know nothing about that. That's never happened for me. Get a second opinion. Here's a good keto calculator for determining your macros:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Go with God.

asherjonny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Brilliant article bro! Thanks so much! Answered everything I wanted to know and more! 😀😃😊😁😁😁😎💥👍👊💪🙌🙏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏💃💃💃💃👯👯👯

Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000) Kiwikind is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Found the exact same article here http://josepharcita.blogspot.co.uk/2...o-ketosis.html

Same person?

Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Kiwikind View Post
    Found the exact same article here http://josepharcita.blogspot.co.uk/2...o-ketosis.html

Same person?
    Yes, he links it on his 1st page.

I got spammed, however when clicking it. Not sure what happened there, it was fine before.

It also has vegetable oil as a 'green' for go food - high in Omega6... so updating seems wise to me while I figure keto out.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    -Twain

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Looton View Post
    It also has vegetable oil as a 'green' for go food - high in Omega6... so updating seems wise to me while I figure keto out.
    That is because a high PUFA intake can help put you into a deeper state of ketosis. I ignore this aspect. I have a high saturated fat intake. My oils of choice are coconut oil, lard, olive oil, and that fat that comes from fatty meats, and hemp oil.
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Those strips, I used to have some but I think they went bad cos they don't even change colour anymore or react.

I guess they work by determing the ph of your urine though right? I have a ph tester in the garage so my question is.........

Can you tell if you are in ketosis using a stadard ph tester and if so what is the ideal ph number?
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***
    ***MY WELL WISHES TO ALL BATTLING ILLNESS OR ADDICTION***

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CatFunt View Post
    Those strips, I used to have some but I think they went bad cos they don't even change colour anymore or react.

I guess they work by determing the ph of your urine though right? I have a ph tester in the garage so my question is.........

Can you tell if you are in ketosis using a stadard ph tester and if so what is the ideal ph number?
    Ketostix just measure the amount of ketones in your urine and not in your blood. They are a poor indicator and a waste of money IMO.
    "I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be." -Ken Venturi

CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CatFunt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xJellyBirdx View Post
    Ketostix just measure the amount of ketones in your urine and not in your blood. They are a poor indicator and a waste of money IMO.
    I know they measure ketones but my assumption is they do so through determining the ph of your urine.

So I was wondering what that ph level was.
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***
    ***MY WELL WISHES TO ALL BATTLING ILLNESS OR ADDICTION***

Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That is because a high PUFA intake can help put you into a deeper state of ketosis. I ignore this aspect. I have a high saturated fat intake. My oils of choice are coconut oil, lard, olive oil, and that fat that comes from fatty meats, and hemp oil.
    Got it. I'm going the same route as you; coconut oil and milk, EVOO, and MCT oil. I take fish oil and cod liver oil too. Grass fed beef gives me lots of saturated fat.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    -Twain

Originally Posted by CatFunt View Post
    I know they measure ketones but my assumption is they do so through determining the ph of your urine.

So I was wondering what that ph level was.
    I have easy@home 10 parameter strips and pH is one of the parameters. pH; composition = methyl red sodium salt bromthymol blue.

But the ketone parameter composition = sodium nitroprusside.

So, it looks like they're not assuming ketone level with a pH test in my strips. But, one problem with ketosis is pH balance of urine, so ... there's that.
    They go bad when exposed to light (sun) and heat/humidity causes them to go bad before their expiration date.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    12 cents a strip and they test for 10 things. Mine work well.
    -Twain

newkidneil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Carbs from fiber e.g quest bars?

xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    5E. Is it best to bulk on keto or on a normal diet?

I can personally not come up with a reason why anyone would want to revert back to a glycolytic metabolism in order to gain muscle besides that it might be easier to consume a calorie surplus since fats are very filling. If you like the idea of ridding yourself of excess fat while you gain muscle then probably keto is right for you. Ketosis has also been shown to increase testosterone levels which would of course be conducive to a muscle-building regimine. The ultimate decision is up to you though, because as far as I know a glycolytic metabolism is actually perfectly capable of building muscle-mass just as well as a ketogenic metabolism does, so it doesn't really matter.
    This was in the FAQ.

Basically it's saying if I'm in a caloric surplus but I'm still getting the 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbohydrates and staying in ketosis , I can bulk while cutting?

Would I have to get in ketosis immediately or could I start right now and just start eating tons of fat and protein = my L.B.M. and low carbs = more muscle & less body fat??
    The journey toward perfection is ALWAYS a path of successes AND failures.

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

Originally Posted by xxx_jfb_xxx View Post
    Would I have to get in ketosis immediately or could I start right now and just start eating tons of fat and protein = my L.B.M. and low carbs = more muscle & less body fat??
    Kind of hard to cut and bulk at the same time. Be a very slow process. If you go keto you gotta allow your body time to adapt.

xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxx_jfb_xxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Kind of hard to cut and bulk at the same time. Be a very slow process. If you go keto you gotta allow your body time to adapt.
    Right that's what I figured. So would I do the same amount of calories at maintenance to start out while I transform over to keto? I was at ~2500 so take that, 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs?

That be a good starting point?

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

Originally Posted by xxx_jfb_xxx View Post
    Right that's what I figured. So would I do the same amount of calories at maintenance to start out while I transform over to keto? I was at ~2500 so take that, 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs?

That be a good starting point?
    If you are switching over to keto, eating at maintenance would make it easier probably. Then when you want to bulk, slowly increase calories.

If you are switching over to keto, eating at maintenance would make it easier probably. Then when you want to bulk, slowly increase calories.
    Thanks man

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

I am an important hormone VitaminD3's Avatar
    VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How good is olive oil?

in my country (spain) it is pretty cheap around 3$ per liter so I could drink some shots of olive oil here and there if its good lol. According to the first post it is green=great but just confirming.

Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Olive oil is not wrong for keto, but coconut oil has MCT which helps with Keto I believe.

I did buy whey which has 7g carbs (sugar) per 100g. Assume that's not a problem right?

Cassanova007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So, I started Keto yesterday... I had done a diet in 2010 called "Green Paper" diet which was a variation of ketosis. I was unable to stick to it.
    I decided to start Keto again and this time commit to it, because I am at a forever plateau... I cannot get under 217lbs. The end goal for me is weight loss and strength. I'd like to ideally be 125lbs by Jan 17th 2015. My understanding of Keto is LOW carb as in under 20g, high protein, and no sugar or little at all. I also understand you can subtract fiber from the carb intake, is this correct? I guess my next question should be how much protein is normal? How much is good? I have been getting between 90-125g of protein. But I am also under 20g of carbs, and 60-70g of fat. I am also a runner, and am training for a 5K in September. So I run 2 miles every other day, with goal of 2 miles in 15-16 minutes tops, and I am apart of a squat challenge. So my understanding is naturally, I will need more protein, correct? Lastly, I am in this gosh darn brain fog. I feel "odd" as in I feel kinda awake but sleepy, and I have a headache. How long do these typically last? Can I expect 30 days of this? Or does each person vary. Apologies, I read through the above and it was good info, but I want to understand.

jordanlennox92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey,

I'm looking for some guidance.
    I just started my first day of what I believe to be keto.
    My stats:
    Weight - 245
    BF: 33%
    Height - 6 Feet
    Age - 30
    Calorie Intake - 1816
    Fats - 86g (43%)
    Protein 212g (48%)
    Carbs - 40g - 15g fiber= 25g
    Meal Plan:
    1)Protein Shake w/ natural P.B., Flax and Chia seeds

2)1/4 cup Almonds

3)133g Tuna w/ red kidney beans and 1 cup spinach
    50g Cheese

4)2 Chicken breasts w/ 60g Cheese

5)Protein Shake

Will I achieve ketosis? Do I need more fat? If yes, suggestions? I'm trying hard to drop fat but gain muscle. I go to the gym six days a week for HIIT cardio and do full body weight training 3 of those days as well. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all!

Originally Posted by jordanlennox92 View Post
    Hey,

My stats:
    Weight - 245
    Height - 6 Feet
    Age - 30
    Calorie Intake - 1816
    Fats - 86g (43%)
    Protein 212g (48%)
    Meal Plan:

2)1/4 cup Almonds

50g Cheese

5)Protein Shake

Will I achieve ketosis? Do I need more fat? If yes, suggestions? I'm trying hard to drop fat but gain muscle. I go to the gym six days a week for HIIT cardio and do full body weight training 3 of those days as well. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all!
    60% of calories from fat
    35% from protein
    5% from carbohydrates

If you wish to keep the same amount of calories you need more fat. I suggest getting rid of the shakes and replacing them with something high in fat, medium in protein and no carbohydrates like eggs/nuts.

Another option is to get rid of chicken breast & tuna as they tend to be on the lean side and get a fattier meat like some 80/20 hamburger.

Your diet isn't bad by any means, it's just not keto.

NO REPS LEFT BEHIND!!!

Sin1ster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jordanlennox92 View Post
    Hey,

My stats:
    Weight - 245
    Height - 6 Feet
    Age - 30
    Calorie Intake - 1816
    Fats - 86g (43%)
    Protein 212g (48%)
    Meal Plan:

2)1/4 cup Almonds

50g Cheese

5)Protein Shake

Thank you all!
    Yes you need more fat, like said 60-35-5 seems to be a good estimation. Fats are easy I'm sure you can find tons of foods on the forum but also a lot from oils. Not sure if 1/4 of almonds is an ideal meal but almonds are good on keto. Ditch the kidney beans in my opinion and get something fatty in there. At 245 I hope 1816 is not making you starve because those cals seem a little low, you don't want a drastic caloric deficit to start a diet of any kind. Start slow and increase over time if necessary seeing how you feel and how your body reacts.

If your looking for more Keto based foods just read the forums on Keto diet samples and food plans there is everything there. And as far as dropping fat and adding muscle I'm sorry but it's a lot easier said than done. Your 33% BF you should focus on losing BF and trying to preserve as much muscle as you can, but either way any caloric deficit is catabolic

currdog2883 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im not trying to sound like a skeptic because it sounds like a good diet and i need to lose weight and lower my cholesterol but how in the world is it possible to lower bad cholesterol by eating meat thats packed full of it? in my mind its like drinking more water will help someone urinate less.