Closed Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AdamB. View Post
    This is gunna be an epic log!! I am subbed fo sho!!! It was great talking to you and Marc at the Arnold and if you ever are in the Novi area or if it would be cool to jet out there, it would be sweet to have a training session with you(chest day preferred, haha) Since you are dieting down for your comp in July, maybe I could throw out a Bobby Flay style challenge? I too will be trying to get chizzled for the summer, plus itll give me that extra drive to get it done.
    Great talking with you as well. PM me info on the gym you train at.

MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Thanks! Looks like we will be dieting together
    Yes we will!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171086161&p=1435554041#post1435554041

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    3-10-11: Chest/Delts/Tris

5 mins cardio + dynamic lower back stretching

Push Press
    Worked up to a max set of 195 X 3 PR!!!

Decline Close Grip Bench
    Worked up to a max set of 275 X 3

Nautilus Shoulder Press
    270 X 8 (wide handles), 8 (close handles)

Decline HS Press
    270 X 8, 8

Cable Side Lateral
    30 X 15

1-Arm Reverse Pressdown
    40 X 15

Pec Dec
    100 X 15

Very solid workout today. I hit 195 X 3 on the push press, which beats my previous personal best of 185 X 3. Decline CGB felt great as well.

My diet is going well, though I am definitely feeling like I am dieting in the evening where I am only eating protein, fats, and veggies and the cravings are starting to set in

My lower back is still a little tender today so I will ice it to get ready for squats tomorrow

NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In for squat #'s.......

I've got them tomorrow as well. I've been cooped up in the squat rack all winter...it's time to get outside and do some fun stuff!!!
    Better Body Sports
    thad@betterbodysports.com

Check out BBS on ******** for daily giveaways!

http://www.********.com/pages/Better-Body-Sports/148301508542835

**My training log with Team Ogre **
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158235303&page=53

Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ron Parmeter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I cant wait to follow this!!!

Derek, awesome to finally meet you.. Kill this prep..
    CORE Nutritionals Athlete
    Team Miller

"Man's damnation is the inability to hold other's in awe" DORIAN YATES

Originally Posted by NC_Tarheel View Post
    In for squat #'s.......

I've got them tomorrow as well. I've been cooped up in the squat rack all winter...it's time to get outside and do some fun stuff!!!
    I want to hit 405 today!

Originally Posted by Ron Parmeter View Post
    I cant wait to follow this!!!

Derek, awesome to finally meet you.. Kill this prep..
    Great to finally meet you as well. This prep shall be murdered!

3-11-11: Quads + Calves

Warm-up cardio + dynamic stretching

Squats
    275 X 3
    295 X 3
    315 X 3
    335 X 3
    355 X 3
    375 X 3
    395 X 3
    405 X 1- I went into this set only planning on hitting 1 rep, focusing on making sure my form was perfect.

Everything felt pretty solid. My hip flexors felt a little tight so I need to work on that (foam roller + stretching). I also need to work on keeping my lower back tight after the first rep as I found on reps 2 and 3 I would start to let my lower back lose its arch.

Hack Squat
    280 X 8, 6
    I was expecting more reps but I guess I expended quite a bit of energy on squats!

Leg Press
    540 X 15
    Goal is to get 20 reps (without pausing) with this weight.

V-Squat Calf Raise
    360 X 6

Seated Calf Raise
    135 X 10

bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000) bbqwizard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Derek here is a wierd question for you. Have you ever trained someone that wanted to compete, but couldn't do a whole lot of "normal" cardio? How did they do?

RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This will be AMAZING for sure!
    "If you're not experiencing severe mental anxiety and depression after two weeks then you're not training hard enough!"
    - Charles Poliquin

"Before there is pleasure, there must be pain!" -GSP

http://www.resultsbyrandy.com/

NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Squats
    275 X 3
    295 X 3
    315 X 3
    335 X 3
    355 X 3
    375 X 3
    395 X 3
    405 X 1- I went into this set only planning on hitting 1 rep, focusing on making sure my form was perfect.

Everything felt pretty solid. My hip flexors felt a little tight so I need to work on that (foam roller + stretching). I also need to work on keeping my lower back tight after the first rep as I found on reps 2 and 3 I would start to let my lower back lose its arch.
    Awesome job. On heavy sets I feel like I lose my arch after the 2nd rep or so as well. Good job on the squats though.

Instead of foam rolling, I went to Lowe's and picked up a 4" diameter PVC pipe. It will bring tears to your eyes but it is better than any foam roller I've ever tried and it cost a whopping $5.
    Better Body Sports
    thad@betterbodysports.com

Check out BBS on ******** for daily giveaways!

http://www.********.com/pages/Better-Body-Sports/148301508542835

**My training log with Team Ogre **
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158235303&page=53

RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000) RUBICON19 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Awesome job. On heavy sets I feel like I lose my arch after the 2nd rep or so as well. Good job on the squats though.

Instead of foam rolling, I went to Lowe's and picked up a 4" diameter PVC pipe. It will bring tears to your eyes but it is better than any foam roller I've ever tried and it cost a whopping $5.
    Nice idea bro.
    "If you're not experiencing severe mental anxiety and depression after two weeks then you're not training hard enough!"
    - Charles Poliquin

"Before there is pleasure, there must be pain!" -GSP

http://www.resultsbyrandy.com/

Originally Posted by bbqwizard View Post
    Derek here is a wierd question for you. Have you ever trained someone that wanted to compete, but couldn't do a whole lot of "normal" cardio? How did they do?
    I have worked with a couple wheelchair bodybuilders, but they were not getting ready for competitions. They both had access to an upper body ergometer, which they used for their cardio:

Originally Posted by RUBICON19 View Post
    This will be AMAZING for sure!
    YEAH BUDDY!

One thing to note about foam rolling is more pain does not = more beneficial. That being said if you like the PVC pipe keep at it.

MyNameIsArt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats
    275 X 3
    295 X 3
    315 X 3
    335 X 3
    355 X 3
    375 X 3
    395 X 3
    When you're working up to your max weight, how do you choose your starting weight?
    And do you have a particular number of sets in mind when you train in this fashion?
    Also, how much rest between these sets?

Sorry so many questions.

ps. how are the fat gripz working out for you? I keep seeing the adds all over the internet so much that I SO want to dish out the moolah for them. That's advertising for ya. Aside from helping with the grip strength, how do you find it affects the exercise you're doing? Does it decrease focus on the working muscles or increase it?

Again, sorry the barrage of questions. hehe
    "do or do not. there is no try" -yoda

MyNameIsArt

Originally Posted by MyNameIsArt View Post
    When you're working up to your max weight, how do you choose your starting weight?
    And do you have a particular number of sets in mind when you train in this fashion?
    Also, how much rest between these sets?

Sorry so many questions.

ps. how are the fat gripz working out for you? I keep seeing the adds all over the internet so much that I SO want to dish out the moolah for them. That's advertising for ya. Aside from helping with the grip strength, how do you find it affects the exercise you're doing? Does it decrease focus on the working muscles or increase it?

Again, sorry the barrage of questions. hehe
    I honestly don't have any set rules, though I usually aim for 6-10 sets of 3 reps. Rest time = whatever you need to feel ready to attack the next set.

The Fat Gripz are pretty cool on exercises like BB Curls and Close Grip Bench I find the keep more tension on the arms and less on the shoulders/chest. I really only use them on curls, bench press, and close grip bench though they can be used for a lot more.

3-12-11: Back + Biceps

Warm-up cardio + stretching

HS Pullover
    270 X 8, 7, 6

1-Arm T-Bar Row
    50 X 12
    75 X 12
    100 X 4

Lat-Pulldown super-setted with Straight-Arm Pulldown
    220 X 6 ss/ 85 X 6

V-Bar Pulldown (to face) super-setted with V-Bar Pulldown (to chest, done standing)
    130 X 10 ss/ 130 X 10

HS Pulldown
    140 X 15, 12 (focusing on keeping constant tension on the lats, not going all the way up on the eccentric portion)

Fat Gripz BB Curl
    125 X 6
    105 X 6
    85 X 6

Beast Spider Curls super-setted with Incline BB Curls
    65 X 8 ss/ 65 X 8
    65 X 8 ss/ 65 X 8
    65 X 8 ss/ 65 X 8

Concentration Curls (Arnold Style)
    25 X 10

Machine Hammer Curl
    100 X 8 drop 80 X 8 drop 60 X 8 drop 40 X 8

And that brings an end to my weight training workouts for the week! I weighed in at 210.5 lbs this morning (exact same as on Monday) but I am without a doubt leaner. I am not going to make any changes to my diet for next week though I may add some additional cardio in. Today marks 18 weeks out from my competition and I feel I am in a great spot at this far out.

adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    awesome week Derek! have a great weekend, can't wait to see you bring it next week!
    ajaxified!

TEAM NORTON

The aJax Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122912821

Bulking Journal
    http://forum.bodybuildingnotebook.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=9&#post9

keep track of your progress with a free online journal at www.BodyBuildingNotebook.com!

Lobrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lobrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lobrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lobrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lobrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lobrim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long are workouts

Good luck with the show - wondering how long a typical weight training session lasts for. do you intentionally keep it under a certain time?

3-12-11: Back + Biceps

Warm-up cardio + stretching

HS Pullover
    270 X 8, 7, 6

1-Arm T-Bar Row
    50 X 12
    75 X 12
    100 X 4

Lat-Pulldown super-setted with Straight-Arm Pulldown
    220 X 6 ss/ 85 X 6

V-Bar Pulldown (to face) super-setted with V-Bar Pulldown (to chest, done standing)
    130 X 10 ss/ 130 X 10

HS Pulldown
    140 X 15, 12 (focusing on keeping constant tension on the lats, not going all the way up on the eccentric portion)

Fat Gripz BB Curl
    125 X 6
    105 X 6
    85 X 6

Beast Spider Curls super-setted with Incline BB Curls
    65 X 8 ss/ 65 X 8
    65 X 8 ss/ 65 X 8
    65 X 8 ss/ 65 X 8

Concentration Curls (Arnold Style)
    25 X 10

Machine Hammer Curl
    100 X 8 drop 80 X 8 drop 60 X 8 drop 40 X 8

And that brings an end to my weight training workouts for the week! I weighed in at 210.5 lbs this morning (exact same as on Monday) but I am without a doubt leaner. I am not going to make any changes to my diet for next week though I may add some additional cardio in. Today marks 18 weeks out from my competition and I feel I am in a great spot at this far out.

Michael Blaise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread! I like how you set your work-outs up to start off with heavy weights and low reps. Kinda reminds me of Christian Thibaudeau style workouts.

Curious if your doing any ab work?
    Last edited by Michael Blaise; 03-13-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Originally Posted by adminJaxon View Post
    awesome week Derek! have a great weekend, can't wait to see you bring it next week!
    Thanks Jaxon!

Originally Posted by Lobrim View Post
    Good luck with the show - wondering how long a typical weight training session lasts for. do you intentionally keep it under a certain time?
    My workouts, counting my warm-up cardio + dynamic stretching + weights, are around 60-75 mins. I don't intentionally try to keep them under a certain time though the are usually always in that time frame.

Originally Posted by Michael Blaise View Post
    Great thread! I like how you set your work-outs up to start off with heavy weights and low reps. Kinda reminds me of Christian Thibaudeau style workouts.

Curious if your doing any ab work?
    Thanks. I have always been a fan of incorporating some heavy work for bodybuilders as gaining strength leads to muscle growth. The primary stimulus for hypertrophy is heavy loads (producing heavy tension in the muscles). I am doing abs on Wed and Sun right now, which are my HIIT cardio + abs workouts.

thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thom2355 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Appears as though I will be making a trip to the Redford Theatre this summer. Sweet!

On a side note, have you noticed the amount of shows the NPC has added in Michigan this year? They have pretty much blown up in the past couple of years.

Originally Posted by thom2355 View Post
    Appears as though I will be making a trip to the Redford Theatre this summer. Sweet!

On a side note, have you noticed the amount of shows the NPC has added in Michigan this year? They have pretty much blown up in the past couple of years.
    Awesome!

Yeah there are tons of MI NPC shows, quite a few of which are drug-tested.

A couple pics from yesterday, 18 weeks out:

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    One thick b@stard! Holy wheels.....can't wait to see you in 18 weeks when you're shredded, should be epic!
    RDF

The pain that greets me, is the stick that beats me...

My Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151219463

Thank you based god bballbrett5's Avatar
    bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bballbrett5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    jebus! do you attribute your sick quad development to anything other than a history of heavy squats/deads + genetics?

adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adminJaxon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no kiddin, Derek's legs have always been sic!

Derek I wasn't sure if you said you really liked front squats for quad dev or not?
    ajaxified!

TEAM NORTON

The aJax Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122912821

Bulking Journal
    http://forum.bodybuildingnotebook.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=9&#post9

keep track of your progress with a free online journal at www.BodyBuildingNotebook.com!

triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree the legs have always been OFF THE CHAIN.

MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MuscleMom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking BEASTLY

Really looking great Derek!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171086161&p=1435554041#post1435554041

Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
    One thick b@stard! Holy wheels.....can't wait to see you in 18 weeks when you're shredded, should be epic!
    Thanks! Yeah my legs have always been my strong point.

Originally Posted by bballbrett5 View Post
    jebus! do you attribute your sick quad development to anything other than a history of heavy squats/deads + genetics?
    Heavy squats and deads. I have always squatting heavy. I saw my best leg growth when I was doing sets of 4-6 reps for squats and stiff leg deadlifts.

Originally Posted by adminJaxon View Post
    no kiddin, Derek's legs have always been sic!

Derek I wasn't sure if you said you really liked front squats for quad dev or not?
    Front squats are a great exercise. I personally don't like doing them but they are definitely a good exercise.

Originally Posted by triplewhammy View Post
    I agree the legs have always been OFF THE CHAIN.
    Thanks!

Originally Posted by MuscleMom View Post
    Looking BEASTLY

Really looking great Derek!
    Thanks I appreciate all the support and motivation.

Pic showing off the hammy!

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The Beast delivers when it comes to sending the nudez! Looking good Derek, Thick upperbody and big Wheels! Can't wait to see what you will look like in 18 weeks and up on stage!

3-14-11: Chest/Delts/Tris

Warm-Up Cardio + Dynamic Stretches

Reverse Band (Elite Strong Band) Bench Press
    Worked up to a max of 465 X 3 then did 315 X 12

Reverse Band (Elite Strong Band) Close Grip Bench
    Worked up to a max of 415 X 3 then did 315 X 10

Incline DB Press
    105's X 6, 6

DB Side Lateral
    35's X 10, 8

Decline Skull Crusher
    95 X 12, 8

Today was the first time I ever tried Reverse Band Bench Press and it was rather interesting. I was reading on a powerlifting website this weekend about the reverse band bench press and figured I'd give it a go. To me it felt like it was taking the delts and tris out of the lift some and also enhanced the contraction of the chest (highest tension [weight] when the chest is contracted).

After the reverse band work I went into my "hypertrophy" based work for the chest, delts, and tris. All-in-all this was a great workout and I truly felt like I had an effective workout when I left the gym.

Closed Thread