Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zQt has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    inonthread

Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10) Metallicles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In all fairness to QuietStorm, there's no way the Mayo Clinic would post an article and make assertions based on stuff that they're just making up. Just because they do not post the details of the study, or any actual evidence, does not mean that they aren't basing their statements on research. That article was intended for average people, who want info on WHAT to do, not why. They aren't going to post the evidence in that type of article.

However, I don't think the Mayo Clinic is right. Either their study went wrong (which CAN happen, for any of you who believe that you are always right if a study backs you up), or they were basing their info off of old, outdated research.

If anything, the REAL reason to believe that weightlifting doesn't stunt growth, is that there are SO many more experts who say that it doesn't, than those who say it does. Not only that, but plenty of people here say that they have grown in height since they started lifting. So there.

QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BitterBlossom View Post
    k. You are confusing bitter.

Pubmed = fake scientific material?

Also, I added the "http;//" - which didn't work. I also added - which didn't work. I even tried " - which didn't work.

Now, I admit I am bloody terrible with computers but nonetheless I can't seem to get your link to work. So I'll just use the information you provided me.

Okay, what from you have posted here - I do not see any conclusive scientific evidence proving your point. I have already stated that improper form with heavy weight can lead to increased injury. However, I have not seen any evidence proving that heavy weight alone can damage the growth plates.
    ok, you keep talking about direct impact injuries to the growth plates.. im talking about actually doing damage by lifting too much weight before the plates fuse. your post makes it seem like 14 year olds can go balls to the wall and lift hard and heavy and they cant. all im saying or asking is be responsible in what you post. if you think the only injury to the growth plates is by impact, then you are misinformed. you have not provided scientific evidence either, all you posted was some stuff the government spewed up. I dont buy it. I put more trust in medical findings by medical personell rather than some random group the government gave some student a grant for to see if its really true. I dont buy it. we can agree to disagree if you like, but you have not convinced me that its ok for teens to drop their scrotums in an effort to look like adult males who lift heavy.

SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000)
    TL;DR.

Jaykay
    GJbitterM

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Metallicles View Post
    In all fairness to QuietStorm, there's no way the Mayo Clinic would post an article and make assertions based on stuff that they're just making up. Just because they do not post the details of the study, or any actual evidence, does not mean that they aren't basing their statements on research. That article was intended for average people, who want info on WHAT to do, not why. They aren't going to post the evidence in that type of article.

However, I don't think the Mayo Clinic is right. Either their study went wrong (which CAN happen, for any of you who believe that you are always right if a study backs you up), or they were basing their info off of old, outdated research.

If anything, the REAL reason to believe that weightlifting doesn't stunt growth, is that there are SO many more experts who say that it doesn't, than those who say it does. Not only that, but plenty of people here say that they have grown in height since they started lifting. So there.
    My issue is that I have never been to the Mayo Clinic website before. I don't know it's reputation, I'm just a random person stopping by. When a random website makes claims and doesn't have any sources to back up those claims - I don't see the claims as being factual.

Of course, this is merely my opinion on the matter of observation and analysis.
    ~ ♥♥ angelus mortis, et medicus damnatorum ♥♥ ~

pignus aeternae gloriae et honoris

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SirSquat View Post
    TL;DR.
    Jaykay
    GJbitterM
    Get in TC or you will get loved tenderly

QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) QuietStorm has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Metallicles View Post

thank you. I appreciate your position, however, im not saying teens cant lift at all and they dont grow after lifting. im actually talking about damage done because of lifting too heavy. someone asked why i thought someone would lift more than their body can handle.. well why do people do that? because they are either stupid.. or as in the case of kids... uneducated about how to do it right. posting that the only way to cause damage to growth plates is an impact injury is irresponsible because it isnt the only way. kids will do stupid things. even when they know the facts. giving misinformation or incomplete information is just throwing gas on a fire.

My issue is that I have never been to the Mayo Clinic website before. I don't know it's reputation, I'm just a random person stopping by. When a random website makes claims and doesn't have any sources to back up those claims - I don't see the claims as being factual.

Of course, this is merely my opinion on the matter of observation and analysis.
    and yet you trust the federal government to not mislead you? /cry

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    Why don't you make your own thread called "lifting weights does stunt your growth" and post all that sh*t in there?

SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000) SirSquat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    Get in TC or you will get loved tenderly
    Patience is a virtue.

Why don't you make your own thread called "lifting weights does stunt your growth" and post all that sh*t in there?
    why dont you stop trolling?

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just out of curiousity, do you believe pubmed is run by the federal government? :S

Just out of curiousity, do you believe pubmed is run by the federal government? :S
    do you think any site with a .gov ending is not run by the government? or funded by the government?

do you think any site with a .gov ending is not run by the government? or funded by the government?
    lol correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't mean all of the information on the website is fueled directly by the federal government.

lol correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't mean all of the information on the website is fueled directly by the federal government.
    ok, well i can see we are just going to disagree. silly arguments back and forth will get us nowhere.
    anything on a .gov site is suspect to me just as no scientific paperwork is to you.

ok, well i can see we are just going to disagree. silly arguments back and forth will get us nowhere.
    anything on a .gov site is suspect to me just as no scientific paperwork is to you.
    Agreed. Whitehouse.gov seems to indicate that an African fellow is the President of the United States, surely that can't be right.

Alright, well it was interesting nonetheless. Cheers m8.

Alright, well it was interesting nonetheless. Cheers m8.
    you too. i did enjoy the battle. /salute

Agreed. Whitehouse.gov seems to indicate that an African fellow is the President of the United States, surely that can't be right.
    i wasnt talking to you reject. please go drown yourself.

Come at me my lovelies.

Originally Posted by SirSquat View Post
    Come at me my lovelies.
    Bitter misses you good sir. =(

Registered User AsianAesthetics's Avatar
    AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50) AsianAesthetics will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    scientific studies, especially modern ones, cost a fair decent amount of money. do you know where the funding for scientific studies comes from? it mainly comes from the federal government. sure, companies like sony fund scientists to find new ways to improve on computer technology. but, studies such as the things pubmed publish comes from the tax payer's pockets, aka the government.

so please, don't say the government can't be trusted and there's a conspiracy. how the hell can the government control the population just because people can't grow an extra 2 or 3 inches?

don't discredit the government just because it's the government.

yes, i made an account because what he's saying was enraging me.

Bumpity bump

Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ragesafe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I can continue weight lifting 14 hours a week thanks bro for the post
    *"Your talk is blatant ... no-show unless you prove yourself and become a pro ."*

All rights reserved

jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jdizzle187 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i honestly believe proper weight training can make you taller. i noticed my friend a few months ago was hunch backed and then we started working out for a few months and his hunch back was starting to go away and he does look about a half inch taller. but i mean if i see someone squatting like leaning forward or something i would guess that it could make u shorter after a long time of doing it just like how old people become hunch backed

Originally Posted by AsianAesthetics View Post
    scientific studies, especially modern ones, cost a fair decent amount of money. do you know where the funding for scientific studies comes from? it mainly comes from the federal government. sure, companies like sony fund scientists to find new ways to improve on computer technology. but, studies such as the things pubmed publish comes from the tax payer's pockets, aka the government.

so please, don't say the government can't be trusted and there's a conspiracy. how the hell can the government control the population just because people can't grow an extra 2 or 3 inches?

don't discredit the government just because it's the government.

yes, i made an account because what he's saying was enraging me.
    Thanks for your opinion. I whole heartedly believe my government will manipulate studies to suit themselves and their agenda. I believe whole heartedly that my government will provide grants for research that will favor their agenda. Prove me wrong if you think otherwise, but please do not call out conspiracy theorist and paranoia gibberish simply because you do not agree with my point of view. If you think the United States government would not purposely mislead you, I am sad for you. I stand by my comments that I trust well known and highly trusted medical facilities to not mislead me long before I will trust MY federal government. I, like you, am entitled to my personal opinion regarding my government. My father and brothers have fought to protect my right to speak them out loud and proud. Please do not tell me not to have and freely speak my opinions.

and for the record, I am not a 'he'. thanks.
    Last edited by QuietStorm; 03-05-2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: added info

Originally Posted by jdizzle187 View Post
    i honestly believe proper weight training can make you taller. i noticed my friend a few months ago was hunch backed and then we started working out for a few months and his hunch back was starting to go away and he does look about a half inch taller. but i mean if i see someone squatting like leaning forward or something i would guess that it could make u shorter after a long time of doing it just like how old people become hunch backed
    That is what strength training is all about. and just doing it improperly wont do much damage, what does the damage is doing it wrong and using too heavy amount of weight.
    I hope i dont sound like I am discouraging youth to not workout.. that is/was not my goal.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lifting a proper amount of weight for the purpose of strength training is fine. Im not saying young people cant life weights, im sorry if i am giving that impression. and some increases are expected once the body has become thouroughly accustomed to a specific weight. when a teen needs to wear a belt and grunt to get the weight up off the rack or floor.. there is a problem. damage to the growth plates will occur at this point. that is the point i am trying to make.
    summary: lift, but lift smartly until such time as the growth plates have fused.
    You mean exactly what everyone has said this entire time?

God damn strong ****ing retard.

Weightlifting performed safely, is safe. Shooting a gun at a practice target safely, is safe.

It's on the individual to ensure they use safe practices.

Now stop being a ****ing retard and piss off.

Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    You mean exactly what everyone has said this entire time?

God damn strong ****ing retard.

Weightlifting performed safely, is safe. Shooting a gun at a practice target safely, is safe.

It's on the individual to ensure they use safe practices.

Now stop being a ****ing retard and piss off.
    calm down junior. the OP stated the damage only comes from impact injuries which is what started this whole discussion, which you are not contributing to by attacking me and swearing.. well done btw. learn to read before you show your ass, jerk.

Aussies are the rudest people I have ever encounterd.. wtf is up with that? and that is including New Yorkers..wow.. grats on your accomplishments.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So in the end, it must be said. Weight lifting does not directly stunt the growth of adolescents. I welcome all of the other veterans of this forum to post information also proving that it does not stunt growth.
    lifting a proper amount of weight for the purpose of strength training is fine. Im not saying young people cant life weights, im sorry if i am giving that impression. and some increases are expected once the body has become thouroughly accustomed to a specific weight. when a teen needs to wear a belt and grunt to get the weight up off the rack or floor.. there is a problem. damage to the growth plates will occur at this point. that is the point i am trying to make.
    summary: lift, but lift smartly until such time as the growth plates have fused.
    The 1st post:

'Weight training does not directly stunt the growth of adolescents'

With the oh so obvious implication that you should perform PROPER FORM.

Your comment 20 posts later,

'Lift, but lift smartly.'

You helped out so much.