[300 Spartan Perioeci] Cruiser4life's Avatar
    Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000) Cruiser4life is a name known to all. (+5000)

Broken finger what can I do?

So yeah i broke my right index finger a couple of days ago and well i almost lost the top of my finger. what can i do so i dont lose my gains exercise wise other than running

pics will be provided if requested

AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdamBombed is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    honestly man i would just lay off it for while. anything lost can be made back quickly and its not worth the risk of further injury
    “…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”
    -- Socrates.

-MISC Firearms Crew-
    -AR-15 subcrew
    -Shaved Head Crew-
    -Win Imaginary Arguments in the Shower Crew-

Bench: 335/350
    Deadlift: 435/495

DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100) DavidPuddey is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Cruiser4life View Post
    So yeah i broke my right index finger a couple of days ago and well i almost lost the top of my finger. what can i do so i dont lose my gains exercise wise other than running

pics will be provided if requested
    My good friend I am deeply saddened to hear of this injury, and wish you a speedy recovery. You have taken the right step by asking complete strangers on an internet forum about what you can and cannot do while injured. Too many people these days are using so called |doctors| advice when trying to determine what can be done while injured.

For some reason my instincts are telling me it might make sense to go a little easier on exercises that use your hands. I would cut back on the plate pinches. farmers walks, and grip work. You can still continue to do as much sled dragging as you have been doing.

All the best to you and yours,

DAvid

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    First of all, rest. Don´t be too quick to get back to the gym. Other than that, there´s plenty. You should be able to do just about an leg exercise. You can suicide grip on benching (use smith if you feel you REALLY uncomfortable with using suicide grip). You should still be able to do some other chest exercises including flyes. You can still do triceps and biceps. You just have to find exercises and equipment where you can have partially closed hands. Back exercises will be hard to figure out. Hyperextensions should work. Otherwise, you´re pretty limited when it comes to your back. I don´t know what equipment you have at your gym, but try to find something that´s safe to use for back.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DavidPuddey View Post
    My good friend I am deeply saddened to hear of this injury, and wish you a speedy recovery. You have taken the right step by asking complete strangers on an internet forum about what you can and cannot do while injured. Too many people these days are using so called |doctors| advice when trying to determine what can be done while injured.

For some reason my instincts are telling me it might make sense to go a little easier on exercises that use your hands. I would cut back on the plate pinches. farmers walks, and grip work. You can still continue to do as much sled dragging as you have been doing.

DAvid
    ^^ Clever. Awestruck.

Doctors give the most conservative answer, partly because you can't' go wrong with conservative and it's also CYA.

OP, keep this in mind, if you've done that much damage to the bone then you've probably done damage to the other soft tissue in the finger, such as the tendons & their insertions, ligaments, blood supply, etc. Any lifting you do, no matter how hard you try, will involve some activations of the flexors and extensors for that finger and put load on a recently severely injured appendage. God forbid you slip or start to drop a weight and inadvertently grab for it. There's a lot more in there than just skin and bone. Let it heal for a while, let the inflammation go down completely, and then you can begin to worry about what to do weight-wise.

At that point I would start doing things like buddy wrapping, bracing (hard - e.g., aluminum), and using straps &/or hooks.

BUT BUT BUT, let some healing take place first. You bork up the soft tissues in that area and you might find yourself with a permanent disability, or lose [some part of] the finger altogether (this is worst case, of course, but why take the chance?).

Registered User LukeJacksonSays's Avatar
    LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100) LukeJacksonSays is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by DavidPuddey View Post

DAvid
    Oh look, David fancies himself a wit. But ya know, people on this forum (a body building forum) might actually have some insight that a doctor (gasp) might not, from years of experience and their own history of dealing with injuries. Doctors will always say "take it easy". But maybe someone here has had a similar injury and can share their story or advice without being a douche. Maybe.