Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50)

When you don't reach your goals..

Most of us make goals. Such as "I am going to lose a certain amount by a certain date". My goal, since I started my bulk cycle six months ago, has been to bench 300 pounds by the end of February. I was really close last week and I thought for sure I'd make it today. I got plenty of sleep last night. I closely watched what I ate today. I was mentally prepared.

I warmed up. Thought I was all set to do it. I lifted the weight off the bench, brought it down to my chest, and... ....it didn't budge. Last week I had it almost up all the way. But today I wasn't even close.

I've been planning on starting my cut in March and I really wanted to bench 300 before I started cutting. I was all hyped up to bench 300 today. But I failed. It's really disheartening.

With lots of other things going on in my life, I thought this would be one thing I could be proud of. I've been planning and looking forward to this day for a long time, but I blew it. I know I could just keep bulking for a few more weeks and try again. But I'd know I didn't make my initial goal.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? From the posts I've seen, it seems like most of you guys make your goals.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?
    My Blog:
    http://want-2-b-healthy.blogspot.com/

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? From the posts I've seen, it seems like most of you guys make your goals.
    to be honest most folks here do not make their goals.
    they just don't post about it

for every post where you see "I finally hit my goal today!!" there are probably 10 where they fell a little short.
    your goal may have been slightly too aggressive, no biggy, sounds like you got close. Give it a couple more weeks and it sounds like your there. Then work on your next one.

skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bulking is one thing but bulking and trying to increase strength is yet another.
    Not making goals can be a number of things, routine, diet, form, techinique, sleep and work in general are a few things that can affect your lifts.
    If your routine did not change from the past 6 months this could have been a problem. Doing the same thing over and over again will not build strength or power. In fact it will decrease your strength.
    The body is a weird machine and needs change to increase in strength. You cannot try to hit max effort each and every week too. Working at 60% to 90% and hitting reps will increase the strength faster and will be more consistant.
    Keeping a log is what is needed to see your mistakes, list your workouts reread them and make videos to see what you are doing wrong or what went right. If you are clueless like you are now you will only make the same mistake again, writing and reading your logs is a great way to see what went wrong or right and how to correct it or keep doing it.
    Good Luck!

Ski
    Weight Class: 242lbs

RAW
    Best Lifts - Gym | Meet (5/2010)
    =============================
    Squat.........585 | 625
    Bench.........385 | 380
    Dead..........550 | 570

Equipped
    810/610/570 (11/2011)

Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byakuya will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    to be honest most folks here do not make their goals.
    they just don't post about it

for every post where you see "I finally hit my goal today!!" there are probably 10 where they fell a little short.
    your goal may have been slightly too aggressive, no biggy, sounds like you got close. Give it a couple more weeks and it sounds like your there. Then work on your next one.
    this makes me feel better, thanks. you might be right that my goal was a little to high. I did bench 285 last month though, so I really thought I was going to get there. still, 285 is a new PR for me, so I suppose I can be happy about that.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and start cutting in March like I planned. then start my next bulk in September. maybe next year I'll make it to 300.

Originally Posted by skiboy1955 View Post
    If your routine did not change from the past 6 months this could have been a problem. Doing the same thing over and over again will not build strength or power. In fact it will decrease your strength.
    The body is a weird machine and needs change to increase in strength. You cannot try to hit max effort each and every week too. Working at 60% to 90% and hitting reps will increase the strength faster and will be more consistant.
    Keeping a log is what is needed to see your mistakes, list your workouts reread them and make videos to see what you are doing wrong or what went right. If you are clueless like you are now you will only make the same mistake again, writing and reading your logs is a great way to see what went wrong or right and how to correct it or keep doing it.
    I do mix things up a lot, but for the past three weeks in a row I was going for a new max, so maybe that was where I went wrong. I've never video taped myself though. Maybe that's something I'll try.
    My Blog:

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Most of us make goals. Such as "I am going to lose a certain amount by a certain date". My goal, since I started my bulk cycle six months ago, has been to bench 300 pounds by the end of February. I was really close last week and I thought for sure I'd make it today. I got plenty of sleep last night. I closely watched what I ate today. I was mentally prepared.

I warmed up. Thought I was all set to do it. I lifted the weight off the bench, brought it down to my chest, and... ....it didn't budge. Last week I had it almost up all the way. But today I wasn't even close.

I've been planning on starting my cut in March and I really wanted to bench 300 before I started cutting. I was all hyped up to bench 300 today. But I failed. It's really disheartening.

With lots of other things going on in my life, I thought this would be one thing I could be proud of. I've been planning and looking forward to this day for a long time, but I blew it. I know I could just keep bulking for a few more weeks and try again. But I'd know I didn't make my initial goal.

I have but one goal, to get up everyday and do my best. I do not feel I hit that goal everyday. But, it remains my goal nonetheless.

This year, I want to see definable abs. With that goal met, a lot of other undocumented goals will likely be met.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)

I warmed up. Thought I was all set to do it. I lifted the weight off the bench, brought it down to my chest, and... ....it didn't budge. LAST WEEK I HAD IT UP ALMOST ALL THE WAY. But today I wasn't even close.
    ^^^^This (caps) is where you made your mistake. Anytime you are going for a max attempt, you need to take a week off from training and max attempts. Every time I do a powerlifting comp, I take the whole week off before. That means I don't lift any weights at all for a week. You would have likely made the lift had you done that. Most people don't wanna take a week off from training to make a certain lift, but I think if it's that important, you'll do it.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    I have but one goal, to get up everyday and do my best. I do not feel I hit that goal everyday. But, it remains my goal nonetheless.

This year, I want to see definable abs. With that goal met, a lot of other undocumented goals will likely be met.
    Yeah, I was just starting to see my abs before I started bulking. No trace of them anymore. I want to be able to see them again by the time we open our pool.

Originally Posted by Turboboy View Post
    ^^^^This (caps) is where you made your mistake. Anytime you are going for a max attempt, you need to take a week off from training and max attempts. Every time I do a powerlifting comp, I take the whole week off before. That means I don't lift any weights at all for a week. You would have likely made the lift had you done that. Most people don't wanna take a week off from training to make a certain lift, but I think if it's that important, you'll do it.
    You're probably right. Plus I was shoveling snow for hours just the other day, so that might've affected it too. At least I know I got close. Hopefully I'll reach 300 pounds next time I start bulking.
    My Blog:

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
    ^^^^this (caps) is where you made your mistake. Anytime you are going for a max attempt,you need to take a week off from training and max attempts.
    bull$hit.

peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I closely watched what I ate today.
    This is a curious statement to me. I'm no expert. In fact you are way ahead of me but I reallly doubt that being real strict about what you ate today has any real impact on your 1 rep max. I would think that what you ate the past week would be much more important.

You stated your previous 1 rep max is 285. Are you going straight from 285 to 300? If so, why are you skipping 290 and 295? Purely for my curiosity. I'm don't know if this is the wrong way to do it or not.
    Last edited by peacesells; 02-27-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Rolling with the punches.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Yeah, all the time. Try again. You may have just been having "one of those days." Give another couple of weeks/couple of tries. In the grand scheme of things, if you're off by 7-14 days, who cares? You'll still have made 300#.

Originally Posted by peacesells View Post
    This is a curious statement to me. I'm no expert. In fact you are way ahead of me but I reallly doubt that being real strict about what you ate today has any real impact on your 1 rep max. I would think that what you ate the past week would be much more important.

You stated your previous 1 rep max is 285. Are you going straight from 285 to 300? If so, why are you skipping 290 and 295? Purely for my curiosity. I'm do know if this is the wrong way to do it or not.
    well I wanted to make sure I had enough carbs in my system so that I'd have the energy I need to give it my best shot. Glycimic Index buildup.

You're probably right about skipping 290 and 295 though. I just got overly optimistic and failed as a result. After getting 285, I should've tried 290. Then 295. Then 300.

oh well.. I learned from my mistake..
    My Blog:

peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    well I wanted to make sure I had enough carbs in my system so that I'd have the energy I need to give it my best shot. Glycimic Index buildup.

You're probably right about skipping 290 and 295 though. I just got overly optimistic and failed as a result. After getting 285, I should've tried 290. Then 295. Then 300.

oh well.. I learned from my mistake..
    No biggie. You have the guts to go for it. IMO...285 is huge and impressive. Hope you hit your goal sooner than later.

I know I've had to push back some goals. I know I'll get there eventually. When put in the perspective of the whole rest of your life a few weeks makes no difference.
    Rolling with the punches.

Originally Posted by peacesells View Post
    When put in the perspective of the whole rest of your life a few weeks makes no difference.
    The thing is, I want to try to have abs by summer. So if I push it back a few weeks, I'm not sure I'll have long enough for a decent cut. I figure I need to drop about 25 pounds. If I push back my cut until close to the end of March, that'd leave me April and May to drop that weight. It'd be pushing it.
    My Blog:

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Sure. Nobody makes progress in a linear fashion all the time; if you'd chart it, you'd see peaks and valleys, and even these don't occur in any real definable pattern.

You missed one lift. Accept it, plan a strategy to beat it in the future, and move on.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Sure. Nobody makes progress in a linear fashion all the time; if you'd chart it, you'd see peaks and valleys, and even these don't occur in any real definable pattern.

You missed one lift. Accept it, plan a strategy to beat it in the future, and move on.
    Maybe a nice 6 week peaking program is in your future.

http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/bench-rick.html

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by *STEVE* View Post
    bull$hit.
    says tiny.....

skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skiboy1955 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^^^this (caps) is where you made your mistake. Anytime you are going for a max attempt,you need to take a week off from training and max attempts.
    bull$hit.
    I think there is a little misunderstaning here.
    When in training you don't need a week off rest BUT if yu are competing in a Powerlifting Meet then you should take AT LEAST 7 days off of NO training, some times more like 10 to 12 days off. The body need this for it to repair itself and it will not affect your lifting except to help it.
    If you are do powerlifting in a federation you ask any of those guys/gals there and they will tell you to not work out 1 week before a meet.
    Good Luck!

Ski
    Weight Class: 242lbs

RAW
    Best Lifts - Gym | Meet (5/2010)
    =============================
    Squat.........585 | 625
    Bench.........385 | 380
    Dead..........550 | 570

Equipped
    810/610/570 (11/2011)

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Turboboy View Post
    says tiny.....

would rather be 168 lbs of lean and mean than 235 lbs of chunk ... just sayin.

acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

The only way to succeed at your goals is to fail multiple times. Most fail once or twice and give up... champions fail hundreds of times on their way to success.
    Taught by Dr. Squat himself back in the late 90s

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    ISSA Certified Sports Nutritionist

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My 2 c...

Just on the issue of goals - setting them and achieving them

I read a couple of guys above with goals like "Get up today and do the best I can" or "This year I wanna see my abs"

Sorry guys - you need to learn the difference between goals and dreams. Between goals and aspirations. Between goals and ambitions. And between goals and hopes.

Goals are far more precise and give you very little wiggle room.

Try setting a specific time-limited, measurable and achievable goal and make that your 1st challenge. Do "x" by "y" and measured by "z". Write it down post it on your fridge and commit to it like you would to a legal contract.

Get that going.... using small, really achievable marks and before your realise it, the bigger goal is then "suddenly" within believable and achievable reach

Works for me and anyone else who's done it that way.
    Last edited by yakabebe; 02-28-2011 at 01:09 AM.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Originally Posted by skiboy1955 View Post
    I think there is a little misunderstaning here.
    When in training you don't need a week off rest BUT if yu are competing in a Powerlifting Meet then you should take AT LEAST 7 days off of NO training, some times more like 10 to 12 days off. The body need this for it to repair itself and it will not affect your lifting except to help it.
    If you are do powerlifting in a federation you ask any of those guys/gals there and they will tell you to not work out 1 week before a meet.
    This was the point I was trying to make. If the OP truly wanted to reach his goal of a 300 bench in a certain time-frame, taking a week off from lifting would give him a much better chance at making his goal. I was assuming this 300 bench was the priority.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yup, happens frequently. I had a goal to add 40 lbs to my standing overhead press in 2010. Didn't even come close...lol. I worked my ass off and added 20 lbs, but I don't let it discourage me. I WILL reach my goal one way or the other, even if it takes a bit longer than anticipated. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't be disheartened if you don't hit your goal within the time frame you wanted.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) alkell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good post.

As stated above not every goal is met every time. Sometimes it may take several attempts, weeks or longer to meet a goal, even though you were planning/ hoping to get it earlier.

What I like to do is set interim goals, smaller goals on the way to a big goal. Each time I make these interim goals I feel I've achieved something, even still I hit hiccups with interim goals and just have to work hard till it comes.

Hope that helps.
    Taking the "less is more" approach to cardio...

kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't understand why the goal is being abandoned until your next "bulk". I lost about 4% bodyfat while doing a MAX OT type workout by controlling diet. I still managed to increase strength across the board. It was worth 35lbs on my bench.

Cut means reduce calories below maintenance. Period.

You want to lose fat, right? Why not manipulate your diet and keep it at/around maintenance and lift HEAVY in a smaller rep range. Push your limits a bit and you get to eat, drop fat, and GET STRONGER.

the words bulk and cut shold be as taboo here as test and steroids...people have no understanding of the words.

Mark
    The mind leads the body...get your head right and the body will follow

ACE CPT
    NFPT CPT
    NCSF CPT

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    would rather be 168 lbs of lean and mean than 235 lbs of chunk ... just sayin.
    "i know you are but what am i" in 6 yr old's voice

loool

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    OP, it sounds like you've been planning for failure all along. You've convinced yourself that you can't make any strength progress once you start cutting. I've made PRs while cutting, so I know it can be done.

You need to stop placing limits on what you can do. Eliminate the word "can't" from your vocabulary. Records are broken by people who refuse to fail.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kneedragger85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post

records are broken by people who refuse to fail.
    and those who are willing to
    The mind leads the body...get your head right and the body will follow

ACE CPT
    NFPT CPT
    NCSF CPT

OP, it sounds like you've been planning for failure all along. You've convinced yourself that you can't make any strength progress once you start cutting. I've made PRs while cutting, so I know it can be done.

You need to stop placing limits on what you can do. Eliminate the word "can't" from your vocabulary. Records are broken by people who refuse to fail.

This ^ x 2

Every PR Ive ever had but one was while cutting. ( low cals , low carbs and daily cardio )

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sure. Since I first started powerlifting, I had a goal of benching over 400 pounds at a meet. I thought I was going to do it in April 2009 (or so) but didn't, but it happened at the next meet a few months later.

Now I have a goal of being the strongest 40-49 year old in the country ( i.e. winning strongman masters nationals ). Its possible that it happens this year, but if not it will the year after or the year after that. No big deal. I mean I'm training as hard/smart as possible but some things you just can't control, it'll happen when its time for it to happen.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Interesting. I figured that going for a PR during a cut wasn't even an option. Maybe I'll keep trying and see what happens. I'm gonna try lowering the weight a bit and increasing the reps to see if that helps.
    My Blog: