sfull14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press Technique (elbow injury)

What's up everybody. So 5 years ago I blew out my right elbow pitching (baseball). I am now fully recovered, but my arm does not extend all the way to full extension. I can only extend to about 160 degrees (if 180 is fully extended). There is no pain involved, I just can't extend my arm any further than this. I have been cleared by my doctor to barbell bench. However, when I bench I clearly cannot lock both arms out. I find that my right shoulder keeps coming off the bench to compensate for my lack of range of motion in my right arm so my left arm can extend all the way. So here's my question: should I keep my shoulders tucked and just not extend either arm all the way (stopping before full extension in my left arm?). Or any other suggestions? I definitely do DB press too, but I want to figure out how to best barbell bench press because I am trying to put on mass. Thanks for responses yall.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sfull14 View Post
    What's up everybody. So 5 years ago I blew out my right elbow pitching (baseball). I am now fully recovered, but my arm does not extend all the way to full extension. I can only extend to about 160 degrees (if 180 is fully extended). There is no pain involved, I just can't extend my arm any further than this. I have been cleared by my doctor to barbell bench. However, when I bench I clearly cannot lock both arms out. I find that my right shoulder keeps coming off the bench to compensate for my lack of range of motion in my right arm so my left arm can extend all the way. So here's my question: should I keep my shoulders tucked and just not extend either arm all the way (stopping before full extension in my left arm?). Or any other suggestions? I definitely do DB press too, but I want to figure out how to best barbell bench press because I am trying to put on mass. Thanks for responses yall.
    Just don't extend all the way. It's not a necessity. Just remember to set the pins accordingly.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.