xSPEERx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

18 years old, 5'9, 120lbs- NEEDS HELP

As you've read, I'm 18 years old and a complete shrimp. I really want to get into the gym and start bulking, but A) I'm EXTREMELY self conscious. I live on my university and frequently play basketball... whenever I look into the weight room it seems like only huge guys and it definitely intimidates me. B) I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. My brother has showed me a few workouts and diet plans to help me bulk... but the main problem is I am just too self conscious to get into the gym. I guess my only option is to man up and just go in there and look like a weakling for a while..

Anyone have any advice on bulking, workouts, diet, getting over my self esteem issues?

jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jason92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    just sac up and go in the gym and start lifting. no ones gonn look at u weird cuz ur small. if its too hard just go in with some shorts and a pullover sweater on or something.

first, make sure you are eating your body weight in protein everyday. your muscles cant recover without it. next is calories. since you are 120 id estimate ur calorie needs to be somewhere around 2800, but id aim for 3000 if u can. when ur just starting out ur going to be putting on alot of muscle so i wouldnt so much worry too much about the fat gains, plus u could probably afford to put on a little fat. another thing that will help is to drink lots of water. muscles are like over 70% water so it wil help you put on weight and keep ur muscler fuller looking. next is ur routine. you should check out the "rippetoes" or "5x5" routine. these are typically the best beginner workouts. dont try to make up a workout on ur own as it will most likely not be as benificial as those.
    reps for life
    slowbus

rep back 400+

umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) umadphaggot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    everyone has to start somewhere.....

get motivated, get in there and lift, and dont look back. you wont regret it

danzk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All those huge guys had to start somewhere, there would be no big guys if they were too scared to start working out.
    I know i was always intimidated by everyone lifting all those heavy weights when i started you just have to use that feeling of inferiority to fuel your motivation to improve your body.

whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50) whyYOUmadBRO will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xSPEERx View Post
    As you've read, I'm 18 years old and a complete shrimp. I really want to get into the gym and start bulking, but A) I'm EXTREMELY self conscious. I live on my university and frequently play basketball... whenever I look into the weight room it seems like only huge guys and it definitely intimidates me. B) I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. My brother has showed me a few workouts and diet plans to help me bulk... but the main problem is I am just too self conscious to get into the gym. I guess my only option is to man up and just go in there and look like a weakling for a while..

Anyone have any advice on bulking, workouts, diet, getting over my self esteem issues?
    Everyones gotta start somewhere bro . My first time bench pressing in the gym 65lbs. fell on me lol and i was 16 going on 17 . Now im 19 & all those kids that laughed at me are my little btches now .
    Instagram
    ThickSolidTightBrah

Registered User californiagrown's Avatar
    californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) californiagrown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    seriously no one will care at all. they wont even notice you. Just go in the off hours when not many folks are there, it will be far less intimidating.

I would suggest looking at one of the many beginner routines listed on the super site.

sounds like you just need a little push. find someone who is down to work out with you and go with them.

No1CanStopMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) No1CanStopMe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Everyone starts somewhere, Eat eat eat , and hit compound lifts , Squats deads bench

Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100) Anonymous000 is not very well liked. (-100)

I am sure you do feel intimidated
    My cousin is 115pounds (pile of bones) lol he is the same hight as you also.
    I have been trying to get him to start working out but what a pain the ass that has been.

stop put off.
    I regret putting it off. Year after year.

I all ready told my cousin and brother that sooner or later they will regret it also.

Yeah I have put this off for a long time and I have really regretted it.

I think my main problem will be... eating enough protein/ calories. I eat A LOT, not always the right foods.. but y main problem is I have an extremely fast metabolism and I seem to be in the restroom and hour after a meal. I think I'm going to stock up on some protien bars, peanuts, etc becaue the food on campus won't suffice.

and second I'll need to find a workout partner or something. It'll ease my intimidation and I don't know what I'm doing anyways. I have a few people in mind, but I really need to find someone who will go in there every day with me.

My brother sent me a link to this work out and recommend it to me, I can't post it since I don't have enough posts... but it's a rippetoe workout.. MATTAA141's write up.. not exactly sure what that means..

So I guess that would be a start?

and thanks everyone for the replies, they definitely help ease me uneasiness.

tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tgo007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    is the gym packed 24/7? isn't it generally less packed late night/early morning. If you're not sleeping during this time, try to go during this time.

tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nobody at all will notice or care, Im 100% sure of that. Good luck dude, im happy to see your at least trying

tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tutu2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Dont forget to take 'before' pics to watch your improvement, that is what will keep you motivated.

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I always found that having an ipod on to drown out the rest of the world helped me get over the same fear you have OP.

Also, if eating is your problem then perhaps you might be curious in a few ideas of mine.

Milk- easy to drink with every meal, full of protein, full of calories. One large cup has 375 calories(2 and a half servings)
    Pasta- cheap and easy to make(less then a dollar for a cheap box of pasta), can add other foods to it for even more calories, full of calories and carbohydrates
    Olive Oil- 1 tablespoon has 120 calories. You could drink shots of this or mix it in with other foods
    Peanut Butter - perfect for when you don't feel like fixing a meal(pb and j)
    Nuts- one of your best snack options. My personal favorite are macademia nuts(tons of calories)
    Microwave dinners- yes believe it or not, these little suckers are loaded with calories. The hungry man dinner I ate last night had 800+ calories in it. It had chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and a brownie in it...yum.

Cheers m8 and don't give up. If you stay persistent, then one day you will be one of those big guys that intimidate the new kids.

wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    start by doing push ups and stuff, see if you can join an outside gym, gyms at universities and colleges SUCK. you feel like everyone is watching you (which they are) and stuff, i dont workout at my uni gym -.-

AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Everyone starts somewhere OP. Would you rather be 5'9 120 for a short while or for a long time? Gotta man up and hit the gym, no one's gonna judge you because from their perspective they're small too.

Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nobody will think different of you, man up.

Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Menslage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't eat too much or you'll gain a lot of fat. Just eat clean, vegetables water and fruits and you'll gain about 3 pounds a year (2 pounds fat 1 pound muscle). I've found that some mild pilates and yoga help me keep my shape. Stop at about 135 or so pounds, that's what bruce lee weighed and any more will make you look to big. Also, high reps low weight are your friend's, most people's biceps respond well to variations of curls.

AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaSaiyan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Menslage View Post
    Don't eat too much or you'll gain a lot of fat. Just eat clean, vegetables water and fruits and you'll gain about 3 pounds a year (2 pounds fat 1 pound muscle). I've found that some mild pilates and yoga help me keep my shape. Stop at about 135 or so pounds, that's what bruce lee weighed and any more will make you look to big. Also, high reps low weight are your friend's, most people's biceps respond well to variations of curls.
    You sir are an idiot.

jrob1002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrob1002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eat, lift, eat, eat, eat, and sleep!
    Jrob--Go big or go home

whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000)
    No one will care if your small.

the majority of the big guys would have been small before they started and if not small then fat.

just go lift.

Thanks everyone for the great replies, they really help me feel better about being there and so small.

I found a friend (who isn't much bigger then me) who would want to go and he wants to go pretty late, 10:30.. which is no problem for me and probably won't be too crowded.

and thanks BitterBlossom on some foods I can go buy, I've always had some ideas, but didn't exactly know what I should be eating. I will definitely stock up on some of the foods your recommended.

seanpark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Menslage View Post
    He sias he wanted to get bigger...not cut/tone.

comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) comps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As long you use proper form, dont max out 24/7, and don't act like a dick, then no one gives a **** about your size.

UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UltimatE157 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No one is going to care, everyone had to start somewhere. Since you found a friend that will work out with you, that will definitely help your confidence. Eat like a madman, start out slow, and before you know it you'll start seeing gains.

FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FLChamp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If small people in the gym are disliked/made fun of, it's mainly due to the fact that they come into the gym and just let their egos take control. They are also notorious for coming to the gym for years and never making any noticeable changes in their physique, level of strength, or conditioning.

If you don't want to be made fun of, don't flaunt your ego. Just get in the gym and train. You'll get respect so long as you don't do anything stupid.
    550/385/655, 285 overhead press, 330 push jerk, 250 weighted dip, 190 weighted pull-up, 413.8 max weighted pull-up, 450 front squat, 365 RFESS, 305 x 2 log press, 400 (per arm) farmer's carry, 370 atlas stone, 31 pull-ups at 247.

www.youtube.com/user/JoeyTheMilitant/videos
    Next competition date(s): November 9th & 10th, 2019.
    Instagram: @hiphopstrongman_reloaded

yungbol has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i started 113 lbs at 5'10" which is smaller then that!

its like 9 months later and im 140 which is still small

just give it time bro

mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mconnor96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlphaSaiyan View Post
    You sir are an idiot.
    yeah seriously dude wtf.. thats the fking complete opposite of what he wants to do....leave the forum..

eat aton of ****(not junkfood) im 14 and started body building about 5 weeks ago. im still in eight grade so im surrounded with junk food..however i stoped eating all tgat **** i sneak to the bathrroom everyother class for a protein bar or shake ..**** like that
    ialways have a protein shake after i lift with a peanut butter sandwhich(always on wheat) and nocandy for me. the first time in there is was 115 now im 123 and gaining alot of muscle. its working. best of luck to you! ( o and milk before bed. has casien)

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. I'm about to head over to walmart and stock up on some good foods, then gym later tonight. I've been eating as much as I can today and have drank a lot of water. So hopefully everything goes well.