Closed Thread
Page 240 of 336 FirstFirst ... 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 290 ... LastLast
Results 7,171 to 7,200 of 10051
    BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    oh boy, jammed on guitar for the first time in months..... fingers get tired so easily, calluses gone, picking...ehhh
    its like being trapped in a beginners body
    -Guitar Shredders Crew-
    -BRZ club-

SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BetaThanU View Post
    oh boy, jammed on guitar for the first time in months..... fingers get tired so easily, calluses gone, picking...ehhh
    It will only take about 2 weeks and you'll be back to normal.. In a few months you'll be better than before because taking long breaks resets your brain and you'll be a different, better guitarist... <--- total broscience lol but that's what I feel happened to me after I didn't play at all while I was in uni..

Also just made this sick ass clean tone and recorded some random chit on it https://www.instagram.com/p/BhkWT4fBdIj ..
    I'm trying to make a good ass lead distorted tone form scratch but it's fuking hard, can't get it quite like I want to..

BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BetaThanU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
    It will only take about 2 weeks and you'll be back to normal.. In a few months you'll be better than before because taking long breaks resets your brain and you'll be a different, better guitarist... <--- total broscience lol but that's what I feel happened to me after I didn't play at all while I was in uni..

Also just made this sick ass clean tone and recorded some random chit on it https://www.instagram.com/p/BhkWT4fBdIj ..
    I'm trying to make a good ass lead distorted tone form scratch but it's fuking hard, can't get it quite like I want to..
    Yeah man that sounds good. Nice and rich tone and playing.

I’m actually considering playing more guitar as a tactic for study.
    They say a good way to approach topics like math and physics is if your stuck on a tough problem just do something else for a while and your brain can get past mental blocks.
    Guitar seems like a perfect thing use to change brain gears for a bit and activate the creative side of my brain a bit more. Which should in theory help with physics problems.
    -Guitar Shredders Crew-
    -BRZ club-

skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Never a good feeling when you get no response but sometimes I feel like it's a sign you're supposed to do it another way.

I think the veneer idea could work. With a natural finish rather than trying to hide it maybe go with something contrasting like ebony (a good choice for the hardness too), walnut, or any darker wood with an interesting grain pattern. Of course if you wanted to hide it completely then you'd have to go with a solid color. I'm sure a skilled luthier could repair that section entirely.

I wonder if it'd be worth contacting a custom pickguard maker. Back in the 70s Gibson made an "SG Pro" that had a plastic cover in that area. No reason that couldn't work.
    Thanks man, you're helping me out a ton with this. That Gibson SG model will make it really easy to explain what I'm looking for when asking around for a custom plate. Going to do this before anything else now..

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Didn't sound like wankery to me. Beautiful and that's a nice tone. You probably mentioned it a few pages back. Modeling or amp?

Originally Posted by BetaThanU View Post
    Know those feels. The biggest PITA for me was the lack of calluses. I didn't want to stop once I started making progress again and developed blisters deep under the noob calluses to the point where bending strings was like a form of was torture. Pushed through the pain barrier (not recommended of course) and spent many hours revisiting all the theory I'd learned (developed my own system many years ago and had to relearn a lot of it.)

The process took me right back to being 12 and picking it up for the first time. I developed a greater appreciation for it and came back a completely different player. It really is a beautiful instrument for expression and you can never master it so there's always something to work on.

Originally Posted by skewermode View Post
    Thanks man, you're helping me out a ton with this. That Gibson SG model will make it really easy to explain what I'm looking for when asking around for a custom plate. Going to do this before anything else now..
    Glad some of that helped and really looking forward to seeing it when it's complete. I think what you're doing is great. Would be easy to just toss an old guitar with some issues aside but you're bringing it back to life and it'll be worth a lot more to you.

I've decided to completely rewire my guitar with a new jack, switch, and some fancy push pull CTS pots which I've had lying around for a while for another guitar project. Required a bit of planning to map it all out. Going to use a tapered reamer to enlarge the pot holes to 3/8" and instead of nuking the back of pots with a soldering iron every time I change pickups I'll run everything to a common ground lug screwed into the cavity and then run that to the output jack.

Working on guitars can cause a few headaches but you end up learning a lot from all the problem solving. Overall it's definitely a rewarding experience.

SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Didn't sound like wankery to me. Beautiful and that's a nice tone. You probably mentioned it a few pages back. Modeling or amp?
    Thanks bro.. I have a pod hd500x connected to monitors. I've never really owned an amp other than those chitty small roland cubes and I don't even know where mine is anymore lol.
    I feel like the pod hd is great for clean tones but distortion and overdrive sound a bit digital, especially in the leads but that might also be an issue with mixing.. But this is what the tone editing software looks like. You can edit from the actual pedal but it takes too long.

ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ecs33 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why no bass megathread?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Thanks bro.. I have a pod hd500x connected to monitors. I've never really owned an amp other than those chitty small roland cubes and I don't even know where mine is anymore lol.
    I feel like the pod hd is great for clean tones but distortion and overdrive sound a bit digital, especially in the leads but that might also be an issue with mixing.. But this is what the tone editing software looks like. You can edit from the actual pedal but it takes too long.
    Thanks for going into detail with this. I'm still in the tube amp/pedal world but this stuff fascinates me because it makes recording less complicated, especially for video. You've got the clean tone dialed in and for your style you probably don't need to worry too much about distortion. Maybe use a little more compression on a very light OD preset and it won't sound too digital while still getting enough sustain for certain lead lines.

I've been in guitar nerd land for the past few days thinking about a better approach to wiring than every production guitar I've seen. Doesn't matter how much you spend and how clean the job is you'll see blobs of solder on the back of pots that were nuked with a soldering iron to hold a bunch of ground wires. Crude but it works.
    Spoiler!
    Every time you want to change pickup you've got to heat up the pot to get the wires off and heat it up again to solder new wires back on. And we're talking cheap ass consumer potentiometers here not military grade stuff that can take a beating. All that frying can't be good for it not to mention it starts to look messy. Also tracking down ground issues is harder because there are ground wires running all over the joint. I've mapped it all out, learned a sh!tload in the process, and once a certain part arrives it will be the cleanest job possible with the best components available. Something I've always wanted to do but never got around to it because it meant ripping everything out and starting over. Won't sound any better but it's like a nice looking engine bay in a performance car. Will update when it's done.

Thanks for going into detail with this. I'm still in the tube amp/pedal world but this stuff fascinates me because it makes recording less complicated, especially for video. You've got the clean tone dialed in and for your style you probably don't need to worry too much about distortion. Maybe use a little more compression on a very light OD preset and it won't sound too digital while still getting enough sustain for certain lead lines.

I've been in guitar nerd land for the past few days thinking about a better approach to wiring than every production guitar I've seen. Doesn't matter how much you spend and how clean the job is you'll see blobs of solder on the back of pots that were nuked with a soldering iron to hold a bunch of ground wires. Crude but it works.
    Spoiler!
    Every time you want to change pickup you've got to heat up the pot to get the wires off and heat it up again to solder new wires back on. And we're talking cheap ass consumer potentiometers here not military grade stuff that can take a beating. All that frying can't be good for it not to mention it starts to look messy. Also tracking down ground issues is harder because there are ground wires running all over the joint. I've mapped it all out, learned a sh!tload in the process, and once a certain part arrives it will be the cleanest job possible with the best components available. Something I've always wanted to do but never got around to it because it meant ripping everything out and starting over. Won't sound any better but it's like a nice looking engine bay in a performance car. Will update when it's done.
    Alright will try.. BTW what do you think of fishman pick ups? Keep hearing a lot about them lately.. This guitarist I follow on insta has them and he charges guitar using a usb to PS4 lol

Originally Posted by ecs33 View Post
    Why no bass megathread?
    Just post here cause any guitarist is technically also a bassist

jk but love bass, have a Squire Vintage Jazz Bass, sounds amazing but last time I changed the strings was like 2008 which shows how much I play it..

Alright will try.. BTW what do you think of fishman pick ups? Keep hearing a lot about them lately.. This guitarist I follow on insta has them and he charges guitar using a usb to PS4 lol
    Never tried them but it makes sense in the age of smartphones to offer a charging option like that for active pickups. For single coils I'd definitely be looking at them but I'm happy with humbuckers and really have no complaints about good old fashioned passive alnico pickups.

The biggest change you can make to your tone for not a whole lot of dough is with pickups so learning how to solder and wire them in is definitely something I'd recommend to every guitarist. I've changed my neck pickup 3 times this year to find what I was after.

Never tried them but it makes sense in the age of smartphones to offer a charging option like that for active pickups. For single coils I'd definitely be looking at them but I'm happy with humbuckers and really have no complaints about good old fashioned passive alnico pickups.

The biggest change you can make to your tone for not a whole lot of dough is with pickups so learning how to solder and wire them in is definitely something I'd recommend to every guitarist. I've changed my neck pickup 3 times this year to find what I was after.
    I have another dumb questions coming your way... The pick ups on my guitar are passive right? I dont have to charge or change batteries? Haven't even opened it from the back yet lol

The pick ups are SSH AND SSV Humbuckers https://www.suhr.com/pickups/humbuck...ss-humbuckers/

and middle is https://www.suhr.com/pickups/single-...ature-pickups/

I've read the whole thing and can't find it

I have another dumb questions coming your way... The pick ups on my guitar are passive right? I dont have to charge or change batteries? Haven't even opened it from the back yet lol

The pick ups are SSH AND SSV Humbuckers https://www.suhr.com/pickups/humbuck...ss-humbuckers/

and middle is https://www.suhr.com/pickups/single-...ature-pickups/

I've read the whole thing and can't find it
    They're passive with an alnico V magnet. With active pickups built into a production guitar and not retrofitted you'll usually see some kind of battery compartment. For example Satriani's new guitar has a Sustainiac neck pickup which requires a battery that Ibanez stuck below the trem cavity.

Suhr make great pickups. I won't hide the fact I'm a Dimarzio fanboy but if I were going to try another brand of pickups it'd be Suhr.

You'll probably never have a need to modify that guitar but it's still nice to know how everything works. My JS was top of the range when I bought it (probably $2800 US in today's money) and I kept it stock for a long time. Now the only thing that's original on it is the body, trem, pickup rings, and neck plate. The upside is it's a one of a kind. The downside is replacing it would be difficult. Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping an axe stock but modifying them is addictive.

They're passive with an alnico V magnet. With active pickups built into a production guitar and not retrofitted you'll usually see some kind of battery compartment. For example Satriani's new guitar has a Sustainiac neck pickup which requires a battery that Ibanez stuck below the trem cavity.

Suhr make great pickups. I won't hide the fact I'm a Dimarzio fanboy but if I were going to try another brand of pickups it'd be Suhr.

You'll probably never have a need to modify that guitar but it's still nice to know how everything works. My JS was top of the range when I bought it (probably $2800 US in today's money) and I kept it stock for a long time. Now the only thing that's original on it is the body, trem, pickup rings, and neck plate. The upside is it's a one of a kind. The downside is replacing it would be difficult. Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping an axe stock but modifying them is addictive.
    Thanks.. and damn that's one sexy guitar.

Anyone notice that nowadays every instagram/youtube guitarist is offering skype lessons lmao.. Some of them are chit as well.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I've been in guitar nerd land for the past few days thinking about a better approach to wiring than every production guitar I've seen. Doesn't matter how much you spend and how clean the job is you'll see blobs of solder on the back of pots that were nuked with a soldering iron to hold a bunch of ground wires. Crude but it works.[spoiler]Suhr Modern for reference which is very clean but they ground to the pot casing. Looks fine if you leave it like that but will start looking like chit after a few pickup changes.
    I HATE soldering. It's always messy. I have to 'helping hands' solder stations and it still sucks.
    But, yet, I do it all the time...
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    I HATE soldering. It's always messy. I have to 'helping hands' solder stations and it still sucks.
    But, yet, I do it all the time...
    I hear you. EMG has a clever solderless system and Seymour Duncan offers a Liberator "pickup swapping system" which is a good idea. I just spent a few days coming up with something along those lines but more streamlined and customized for my needs. It's a PITA when another wire comes loose in the process of moving stuff around to get at those lugs and grounding through the pot casing which everyone does out of convenience is just plain sloppy.

I'm okay with soldering but I only want to solder to one place. The reason wiring diagrams are often difficult to follow once you've got groups of 4 conductor wiring and push pull pots is because of all the ground wires crossing all over the joint. I knew there had to be a simple way to group everything and will show you what I've done when it's finished. The upside is the cavity will stay uncluttered no matter how many times I change pickups.

Anyone notice that nowadays every instagram/youtube guitarist is offering skype lessons lmao.. Some of them are chit as well.
    I guess with no money in albums and performing means putting a band together, writing music, and trying to get enough people to buy tickets to make it viable it's a lot easier to sit there in the bedroom playing a few licks over Skype or doing workshops.

And let's face it many of those popular Youtube guitar channels are just there to pull in students. Like Music Is Win which is always popping up in related videos. Some of the content is helpful but he's uploading every day so that means a high percentage of sh!tposting not to mention he's plugging his "super system" every 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me if he's pulling in a couple hundred grand a year off those lessons alone considering how many people have signed up.

Anyway every big name is doing it in some way. Satriani has his G4 Experience camps. Vai's Vai Academy. Petrucci's Guitar Universe. Paul Gilbert's Great Guitar Escape. List goes on. Probably pays all the year's bills in one week. And then you've got Eddie Van Halen whose output has been sparse since the early 90s so he's making a living pimping EVH branded amps and guitars.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Guitar fetish, here in the states, has a 'quik plug' system I've used. and will use again.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

Bought from them before but never saw that. Thanks.

The real pain in the ass as you know is soldering puny little wires in a cramped cavity while everything is wired in.
    Because we are too lazy to unscrew the pots and switches and make it easier on ourselves. My Steinberger has a cavity like a telecaster, it sucks to work in. Always trying to NOT heat through another wire's insulation.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) dj006xx has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    glad i found this thread, ill be visiting it a lot more now that my pops gave me his guitar. 70s vintage, 3 colour sunburst USA Strat ( after i did research on it)

Currently , cleaning and restringing.

https://imgur.com/a/4YRvgHF

Watched this clinic and back in the Guthrie nutthugging crew, kind forgot about him cause was focusing on prog metal stuff but holy chit at his mastery of the fretboard and music knowledge

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Been binge watching violin related stuff lately even though I prefer guitar. Feel like this applies very well to guitarists.

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

Watched this clinic and back in the Guthrie nutthugging crew, kind forgot about him cause was focusing on prog metal stuff but holy chit at his mastery of the fretboard and music knowledge

[youtube]W0yKCpidQ-s[youtube]
    11:10 is spot on. You ultimately want to choose notes that you're hearing before you play them vs. play all the notes in a shape because they won't sound wrong. He's an excellent teacher, incredibly humble for how gifted he is, and his command of the English language is probably up there with his musical ability.

I only ever heard him make one salty comment (0:50) and miss the mark and that was a response to a question about "pitch axis" re: Satriani. He was wrong. He might own Joe on a technical level but they're on a different level when it comes to theory and composition. Early Satriani was like a mad scientist with theory before he started bluesing everything up and used pitch axis in several songs. My favorite is Lords of Karma. Lydian/Mixolydian.

11:10 is spot on. You ultimately want to choose notes that you're hearing before you play them vs. play all the notes in a shape because they won't sound wrong. He's an excellent teacher, incredibly humble for how gifted he is, and his command of the English language is probably up there with his musical ability.

I only ever heard him make one salty comment (0:50) and miss the mark and that was a response to a question about "pitch axis" re: Satriani. He was wrong. He might own Joe on a technical level but they're on a different level when it comes to theory and composition. Early Satriani was like a mad scientist with theory before he started bluesing everything up and used pitch axis in several songs. My favorite is Lords of Karma. Lydian/Mixolydian.

Ya, another really good point he made was at the start of part 2, where he made the comparison of scales to the alphabet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Khpy-6WCk

Honestly I've never been a huge Satch fan, not sure why since I was obsessed with Steve Vai, Petrucci and all those G3 dudes.. But I always found his music to be like someone put pop vocal melodies to a guitar with really good tone and then put some fills.. I understand how good of a songwriter/player he is though but for my ears Guthrie is a way better composer..

btw I took your advice of adding some compression to an overdrive tone (used a Line 6 copy model of a Engl Fireball 100) and came up with this tone.. Lead tone starts about halfway but clip is only 50 sec..
    Still sounds a bit digital but might be my ears or the mix, sort of sounds like an old swedish black metal tone lol.. I just have to keep looking and trying chit out I guess, buying anything gear related is out of the question for a while lol
    Spoiler!

Honestly I've never been a huge Satch fan, not sure why since I was obsessed with Steve Vai, Petrucci and all those G3 dudes.. But I always found his music to be like someone put pop vocal melodies to a guitar with really good tone and then put some fills.. I understand how good of a songwriter/player he is though but for my ears Guthrie is a way better composer..
    Everyone's taste is different so I can respect that. I love Guthrie's solo work and it's a shame he's not as prolific as Joe. Some people will hear a simple melody and be bored by it. To me there is beauty in simplicity and if it were easy to do then everyone would be doing it.

Also when you first hear an artist's work can make a big difference in terms of the impact it has on you. A kid learning guitar today who hears Malmsteen might think "what's the big deal?" There was a wave of clones in the 80s that came along and then again more recently with Youtube shredders who can do his thing better. But if you heard Rising Force when it first came out and saw him in Alcatrazz it might be a different story. Same goes for Satriani.

btw I took your advice of adding some compression to an overdrive tone (used a Line 6 copy model of a Engl Fireball 100) and came up with this tone.. Lead tone starts about halfway but clip is only 50 sec..
    Still sounds a bit digital but might be my ears or the mix, sort of sounds like an old swedish black metal tone lol.. I just have to keep looking and trying chit out I guess, buying anything gear related is out of the question for a while lol
    Spoiler!
    Love what you're doing man. Whatever process you're using to write this music keep doing it. You certainly don't need theory.

Everyone's taste is different so I can respect that. I love Guthrie's solo work and it's a shame he's not as prolific as Joe. Some people will hear a simple melody and be bored by it. To me there is beauty in simplicity and if it were easy to do then everyone would be doing it.

Also when you first hear an artist's work can make a big difference in terms of the impact it has on you. A kid learning guitar today who hears Malmsteen might think "what's the big deal?" There was a wave of clones in the 80s that came along and then again more recently with Youtube shredders who can do his thing better. But if you heard Rising Force when it first came out and saw him in Alcatrazz it might be a different story. Same goes for Satriani.

Love what you're doing man. Whatever process you're using to write this music keep doing it. You certainly don't need theory.
    Ye, it's kind of like back in 2007 when I discovered Between the Buried and Me putting jazz, bluegrass, blues etc in metal.. It was the first time I heard someone do that and I was completely mindblown.. Nowadays all progmetal bands are doing that, nobody gives a chit.. I can't even imagine what Malmsteen or Satch were like when they came out, lots of minds were blown..

and thanks man, means a lot .. I'm actually gonna start piano lessons in the summer with a 8/10 Russian teacher, told her I'm a guitarist that wants to learn theory through piano and she agreed to give me private lessons.. Cheaper than skype lessons with youtube guitarists as well and it's in person lol

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I was pointed to this thread! Yes Guthrie has some nice songs. Ones like "Waves" I adore but to me a lot of his work now sounds more like exercise clinics. While guitarists like Satch may not be as versatile, you have to remember they also composed songs like "Flying In A Blue Dream" "Summer Song" and endless spine tingling compositions. The guitar world always seems to need to attach itself to ONE player that's heralded as the best, and it seems consistent melodic compositions that have a large impact is a lesser priority.

There are plenty of guitarists with the exact same fast-twitch abilities as Guthrie out there but he is very impressive with his large grasp of multiple styles. But that doesn't make producing one style inferior. Also YJ may not be as impressive as he was back when standards and resources were limited, but he did pretty much create+leap-start a whole style/movement. That is something that can not happen often over multiple generations, so I always laugh when some youtube guitar scrub starts calling YJ bad etc. The same deal with Steve Vai. You instantly can identify that style he created. Then you get some idiot going "Hurr it's just lydian over and over he is sh*t". Yeah, well go make an album like "Passion and Warfare".

Besides, Shawn Lane hasn't even been remotely been touched. I think that was a very rare phenomena. I don't think any famous guitarist would disagree, Guthrie certainly doesn't. It's such a shame we didn't get to see him continue, just as he was delving into Indian music and starting to really launch.

Anyway I think I am going to like this thread. Subbed!
    Last edited by EoR; 04-25-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

and thanks man, means a lot .. I'm actually gonna start piano lessons in the summer with a 8/10 Russian teacher, told her I'm a guitarist that wants to learn theory through piano and she agreed to give me private lessons.. Cheaper than skype lessons with youtube guitarists as well and it's in person lol
    Great idea and I'd rather learn in person than over a Skype connection. My first instrument was piano and it made learning everything a lot easier because on piano it's laid out right in front of you. No searching for notes that can appear in 4-5 places, if it's middle C, it's right there in one place. Only downside is that even to this day I still relate a lot of stuff on guitar back to piano. I've almost phased it out. It's not a bad thing by any means. As you know Shawn Lane was a beast on both. Definitely something to aspire to.

Originally Posted by EoR View Post
    I was pointed to this thread! Yes Guthrie has some nice songs. Ones like "Waves" I adore but to me a lot of his work now sounds more like exercise clinics. While guitarists like Satch may not be as versatile, you have to remember they also composed songs like "Flying In A Blue Dream" "Summer Song" and endless spine tingling compositions. The guitar world always seems to need to attach itself to ONE player that's heralded as the best, and it seems consistent melodic compositions that have a large impact is a lesser priority.
    Saw him play it live as a kid in 1990. Was a 3 piece band with Stu Hamm on bass and Jonathan Mover on drums. No keyboards, no rhythm guitar, just stripped right back with Stu Hamm tapping chords with his right hand to fill out the mix with a lot of improvising. They opened with that song which I still think is one of the greatest instrumental guitar songs all these years later. It's hard to say which song of his is my favorite. Probably Time Machine because for me it's Lydian mode > daylight > everything else.

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great idea and I'd rather learn in person than over a Skype connection. My first instrument was piano and it made learning everything a lot easier because on piano it's laid out right in front of you. No searching for notes that can appear in 4-5 places, if it's middle C, it's right there in one place. Only downside is that even to this day I still relate a lot of stuff on guitar back to piano. I've almost phased it out. It's not a bad thing by any means. As you know Shawn Lane was a beast on both. Definitely something to aspire to.

Saw him play it live as a kid in 1990. Was a 3 piece band with Stu Hamm on bass and Jonathan Mover on drums. No keyboards, no rhythm guitar, just stripped right back with Stu Hamm tapping chords with his right hand to fill out the mix with a lot of improvising. They opened with that song which I still think is one of the greatest instrumental guitar songs all these years later. It's hard to say which song of his is my favorite. Probably Time Machine because for me it's Lydian mode > daylight > everything else.

When I played a lot of guitar I would simply load up an album from an artist I felt like listening to and improvise to that song/album. I'd throw in some exact notes they play on iconic parts but I'd just improvise on whatever scale suited it. Time Machine is one of my favorites to improvise over! I saw SATCH only once live, and I am glad I did. I will admit though I am not impressed with his newer work. But his older material, up and including Crystal Planet is godly.

That slow passage @ the start of the main solo in "Time Machine" is so melodic and uplifting, I'd play that exactly then just improvise my lydian legato alongside his.

I think a lot of guitarists have narrow versatility because they don't branch out to many genres and just JAM with albums for hours on end. I learned everything by listening to every artists that appealed to me. They'd always have some unique trademark approach, style, phrasing, I'd learn that nearly exactly then I would try apply it to my playing LOOSELY so it wasn't just copycating. You can see very technically gifted guitarists run out of ideas after 5min of jamming, that's the biggest symptom.

I'd really want to learn the piano or saxophone but I barely have time to play guitar. Real life.
    Last edited by EoR; 04-25-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

I will admit though I am not impressed with his newer work. But his older material, up and including Crystal Planet is godly.
    There was something special about the early material probably because he was young and experimenting, writing a lot of it late at night on his own. At some point he started rehashing and then it became a blues fest.

I think a lot of guitarists have narrow versatility because they don't branch out to many genres and just JAM with albums for hours on end. I learned everything by listening to every artists that appealed to me. They'd always have some unique trademark approach, style, phrasing, I'd learn that nearly exactly then I would try apply it to my playing LOOSELY so it wasn't just copycating. You can see very technically gifted guitarists run out of ideas after 5min of jamming, that's the biggest symptom.
    I think that's what Guthrie did. He never sat there with a metronome, he just jammed to albums. You can tell he's reverse engineered everything he's ever heard which is why he could probably mimic any player except for maybe Allan Holdsworth. The level Allan reached from mid 80s to mid 90s is the highest peak I've seen from any player while being completely original in that you could hear a few notes and immediately know it's him. There are certain players on a technical level like Shawn where you know right away you'll never be able to pick like that but with Holdsworth it went up another notch because it was all about improvising over complex changes with flawless technique.

There was something special about the early material probably because he was young and experimenting, writing a lot of it late at night on his own. At some point he started rehashing and then it became a blues fest.

I think that's what Guthrie did. He never sat there with a metronome, he just jammed to albums. You can tell he's reverse engineered everything he's ever heard which is why he could probably mimic any player except for maybe Allan Holdsworth. The level Allan reached from mid 80s to mid 90s is the highest peak I've seen from any player while being completely original in that you could hear a few notes and immediately know it's him. There are certain players on a technical level like Shawn where you know right away you'll never be able to pick like that but with Holdsworth it went up another notch because it was all about improvising over complex changes with flawless technique.
    Allan's approach to chords was just astounding. Most of the chords he played he didn't even know exactly what they were. He treated scales and chords as the same, a fret filled with notes. For example, I could play some chords that fit inside any scale and I couldn't tell you exactly what they were but I know they fit and by ear I can tell what chord family it belongs. This approach really broadens your approach to chords and helps improvising rather than thinking: "Ok, I need to play this type of chord" like it's completely separate to scales.

Shawn loved Allan's work as well, it's sad they are both gone. Another guitarist along these lines that I love is Brett Garsed. Some of his solos with Shawn on MVP are amazing. That "Hey Tee Bone" is one of my favorites.

The slick legato and hybrid picking melodic playing by Brett then the wild unbridled power of Shawn Lane compliments each other well. Then what makes Shawn not just a god on guitar but a god musician is he could play that all on the piano, or any instrument if he had the interest. He said once if he had 10 limbs he could play 10 different tempos, his mind was just on another level. Most of our guitar gods now, are limited to just guitar and it shows in their playing.
    Last edited by EoR; 04-26-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Ya Allan and Shawn were great but they're no Synyster Gates
    jk

Closed Thread
Page 240 of 336 FirstFirst ... 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 290 ... LastLast