Page 91 of 332 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 141 191 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 9960
    KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10) KWhoever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Epic-Dumbell View Post
    also just bought this epiphone les paul custom

any recommendation on pickups?

Yeah.It's beautiful.Aren't you lucky?.....:/

Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000) Epic-Dumbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    T%hanks I havent checked out justin sandercores Major scale lesson yet, I did learn sweet child of mine from him

Originally Posted by biggestmuff View Post
    I dislike how that site teaches, especially their scale pictures.

If it works for you, Epic-Dumbell, cool. Here's another way of visualizing the major scale. Just like the minor pentatonic scale, learn the major scale in one position and you can move it to any position with the root note on the low E string.

Awesome i figure thats a compact version of the major scale without a few extra notes, cool it looks like the cliff notes of the major scale repped

bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nobody talks about Rex Caroll, yeah Christian band, and yeah its from 1991 but around 2:40 I really like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrtBhHuSwjc

sure alot better out there, but why not still enjoy?
    I prefer no embed
    Last edited by bignpisst; 12-27-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Labrador Retriever crew
    Nobody cares who your top 10 rap artists are crew

FlashbaxFlashbaxFlashbax Flashbax's Avatar
    Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1 - Does anyone know the difference between an acoustic capo and an electric? I went to the guitar store the other day to get one since the one I've been using sucks shiit, and I saw both -- they both looked the same.

I mostly play an electric but I'd like to be able to use it on my acoustic... which one should I buy it for?

2 - my guitar's intonation is fcked ever since I adjusted the bridge height to reduce fret buzz... is there a good online guide to getting your intonation right/get rid of fret buzz/etc or should I just take it to a guitar store and cough up the 20$ for set up?
    Last edited by Flashbax; 12-27-2009 at 05:25 PM.

bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Flashbax View Post
    1 - Does anyone know the difference between an acoustic capo and an electric? I went to the guitar store the other day to get one since the one I've been using sucks shiit, and I saw both -- they both looked the same.

I mostly play an electric but I'd like to be able to use it on my acoustic... which one should I buy it for?

2 - my guitar's intonation is fcked ever since I adjusted the bridge height to reduce fret buzz... is there a good online guide to getting your intonation right/get rid of fret buzz/etc or should I just take it to a guitar store and cough up the 20$ for set up?
    my capo works for both, wich I think most do

this dude is the best on guitar repair that I know

http://www.danerlewine.com/guitar_repair_books.html
    Labrador Retriever crew

FlashbaxFlashbaxFlashbax Flashbax's Avatar
    Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bignpisst View Post
    my capo works for both, wich I think most do
    well it'll work, I'm just wondering why capo manufacturers think there's a difference?

this dude is the best on guitar repair that I know

AWESOME! thanks!

AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    here is 1 of the songs I composed recently.......recorded with windows sound recorder...will do another version with good recording mic later on sometime.. maybe in few weeks..

tuning is FA#FA#CF im self taught pretty much...tell me wat u think..

http://rapidshare.com/files/32814353...ssong.wma.html

quality sucks but u get a rough idea of the song..just imagine it sounding more clear ..

and no Im not ANTOINE DUFOUR... he plays better then me ..by miles..but he inspires me..

also

Im self taught... limited theory knowledge... but I play tons dring the day recently... been composing stuff lots.. Just listening to dufour/dobson and people such as them inspires me... and I experiment with tunings alot.. I really love FA#FA#CE... sounds so amazing... and can be used in tons of different styles..
    Last edited by AntoineDufour; 12-30-2009 at 03:53 PM.

forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Spent some time tonight learning to sing/play these songs:

I can't sing for ****, but it's a fun challenge to be able to sing and play.
    The best Weightlifting forum on the web:
    www.WLForums.com

MJ= Jordan, not Jackson mjfan12's Avatar
    mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the stings near the tuners are closer to the frets than the strings near the body. visably noticeable. i havent measured.

so i guess this is out of adjusment? what can i do to fix it? im a newb so i dont even realize the difference. or what the action feels like, etc.

truss rod adjustment needed? its only a lousy squire affinity fat strat. supposed to be a good quality squier, but it still is low level. does the bridge raise and lower? i know the pickups do.

dont have extra money to get another guitar if it breaks right now. i just need to learn how to play so as long as it works it should do the job as a learning tool.

the string near the head stock will be closer to the frets

Bring it to a shop and get it setup, if you have a friend that can do it even better

have you noticed any rattles or buzzes?
    Labrador Retriever crew

CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Flashbax View Post

With setting the intonation, all you need is a screw driver, tuner, and a cable. If the string is sharp at the 12th fret (octave) compared to the harmonic, the string is too short, so after releiving string tension, turn the screw to the left...making the string longer. If the string is flat, turn it to the right, making the string shorter. Repeat until intonation is set.

There are several online setup guides. I use the Gary Willis one. Gary Willis is a bass player, but if your bridge is Fender-style (has screws that adjust the intonation), it will be good enough.

If you are not comfortable doing that, take it to a guitar store. Tell them that you need a setup and be ready to pay $20-50 + strings depending on where you go.

CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mjfan12 View Post
    the stings near the tuners are closer to the frets than the strings near the body. visably noticeable. i havent measured.

so i guess this is out of adjusment? what can i do to fix it? im a newb so i dont even realize the difference. or what the action feels like, etc.

truss rod adjustment needed? its only a lousy squire affinity fat strat. supposed to be a good quality squier, but it still is low level. does the bridge raise and lower? i know the pickups do.

dont have extra money to get another guitar if it breaks right now. i just need to learn how to play so as long as it works it should do the job as a learning tool.
    Take it to your preferred guitar store, and tell them that you need a setup. Also, mention to them if you are having any buzzes or any specific problems. If you're a newbie, you need someone more experienced to show you what a well setup guitar feels like. So, while you are at the shop, take some time and play some other guitars. Since you're playing an Affinity Strat, at least check out the Fender Standards and an American Fender. The playability on those should be much nicer, and give you an idea of what different forms of "good" action feels like. Once you get more time in, you'll adjust the action to suit your specific needs. E.g. I set mine higher on my Ray5 because I play with a heavy right hand attack with heavy gauge strings. This comes from also playing double bass, so my hands/fingers are really strong.

AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol guess no 1 liked the song/bothered to listen

Originally Posted by AntoineDufour View Post
    lol guess no 1 liked the song/bothered to listen
    do it again
    Labrador Retriever crew

MJ= Jordan, not Jackson mjfan12's Avatar
    mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    yeah, thanks. i probably will take it to get set up in a couple of months.

i haven't noticed any unusual buzz right now. I love doing things on my own and tinkering so I see most things are simple of guitars besides the truss rod, if you do too much it can warp or break, etc. the other adjustments seem simple enough.

the guitar has been sitting in the corner collecting dust for the past 2 years, lol. i finally have the motivation to learn how to play. im using the monster guitar method dvd vol 1. and starting off memorizing the natural notes. in a couple of days I have it memorized and am trying to burn it in my mind and get the muscle memory in my hands. and use all the fingers etc. So I'm in square one pretty much.

next on the agenda is memorizing some scales and chords. I like structure so I'm following the lessons on the dvd in order,

my amp is terrible the fender frontman 15g so soon I plan on getting the peavy vypyr 15. its only 100 and has tons of features and effects. and the distortion actually sounds decent unlike the fender. lol

dont know what I'd do with the fender since its so lousy i doubt anyone would buy one for even $20 lol.

what's the deal with different tuning? drop c, drop d, etc? seems like metal bands use these tunings for specific songs. Do people usually change the tuning for each different song? I'm sure rockers have multiple guitars set up differently so they dont waste time.
    Last edited by mjfan12; 01-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Originally Posted by mjfan12 View Post
    yeah, thanks. i probably will take it to get set up in a couple of months.

i haven't noticed any unusual buzz right now. I love doing things on my own and tinkering so I see most things are simple of guitars besides the truss rod, if you do too much it can warp or break, etc. the other adjustments seem simple enough.

the guitar has been sitting in the corner collecting dust for the past 2 years, lol. i finally have the motivation to learn how to play. im using the monster guitar method dvd vol 1. and starting off memorizing the natural notes. in a couple of days I have it memorized and am trying to burn it in my mind and get the muscle memory in my hands. and use all the fingers etc. So I'm in square one pretty much.
    Illl bring you back

Labrador Retriever crew

Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a question I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to answer!

I've been playing for a little bit now, and one thing I've been doing is driving me insane. It's basically accidental pull-offs while playing, it happens a lot when I do chromatic runs. When I move from the Low E to the High E it happens all the time. When I move from the high E to the low E it rarely ever happens since my index finger slightly touches the previous string and mutes any noise it would otherwise make. I've asked before elsewhere and people just seem to say "it goes away with time" and that's the end of it. It's annoying hearing all that extra ringing, it's a mistake, a mistake I'd like to be able to correct. I've tried lifting my fingers at different angles and with different pressure but it still rings out like a weak pull off.

Any tips? suggestions?

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm not really sure what you mean, but muting with the right hand is something you will ALWAYS want to do. If you're letting strings ring, just touch them lightly with the right hand palm or fingers or whatever you think is best

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lift88 View Post
    I have a question I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to answer!

I've been playing for a little bit now, and one thing I've been doing is driving me insane. It's basically accidental pull-offs while playing, it happens a lot when I do chromatic runs. When I move from the Low E to the High E it happens all the time. When I move from the high E to the low E it rarely ever happens since my index finger slightly touches the previous string and mutes any noise it would otherwise make. I've asked before elsewhere and people just seem to say "it goes away with time" and that's the end of it. It's annoying hearing all that extra ringing, it's a mistake, a mistake I'd like to be able to correct. I've tried lifting my fingers at different angles and with different pressure but it still rings out like a weak pull off.

Any tips? suggestions?
    You could approach this a number of ways...

1) You could use a finger on your fret hand to deaden the string after your run
    2) You could use pick hand palm or part of your hand to deaden the string
    3) Or you could use a combination of these techniques to do this...

Things to keep in mind:

1) excessive finger pressure or unnecessary barring of the strings can cause this...
    2) acoustic practice is a great way to eliminate this annoyance.

Either way practice is the fix.

The three golden rules from JUSTINGUITAR are handy:

There are three golden rules that I think are very important to adhere to if you are going to start developing your chops (guitarist slang word for technique).

? Practice the right thing.

Do not let yourself make any mistakes while working on technique. Do things very carefully, because there is no point in working a lot on developing a bad habit into a perfect bad habit!

? Start new things very slowly and only speed up when it's perfect.

Speed comes with time and a little help from a metronome, but fast runs must be played smoothly, accurately and clearly or they sound rubbish. The amazing thing about the really technical guitarists like Steve Vai or Eric Johnson is not just how fast they play but how cleanly they play. Slow it down to half or quarter speed and you can hear every note clearly - that is what you should be aiming for. Clarity.

? Keep all movements to an absolute minimum.

Try and keep all movements as small and accurate as possible. Try not to let your fingers fly too far away from the fingerboard, or to 'point away'. Also try and keep your picking under control using only the tip of the pick and not moving it too far from the string.
    Semper Fi

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lift88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    I'm not really sure what you mean, but muting with the right hand is something you will ALWAYS want to do. If you're letting strings ring, just touch them lightly with the right hand palm or fingers or whatever you think is best
    Well, for chromatic runs, say 1-2-3-4 starting from the low E and working down to the low E. When I move to the next string my index finger frets the next note and when my pinky lifts it rings more often than not. When the bpm increases it seems so difficult to quickly mute just that string with the right hand. Of course I have no choice but to drop the bpm again since I'm making mistakes and trying to fix it. Even when slowing things up (say 60 bpm) it'll still ring out. I won't hear it unplugged but it's obvious as can be plugged in to the amp.

Is it a matter of pressure on the strings? should I be muting better? (If so, how do you mute so quickly at the higher bpms?)

EDIT:
    Thanks as well Mindripper! I'll keep it slow and keep up with the practice. One more question if you don't mind. Watching advanced players you can see that their fingers move so slightly off of the strings. Is this something I should work hard on now? It's so tough to keep that pinky close to the strings (much less as close as the advanced players), do I keep the bpms as low as necessary and work on keeping my fingers as close as possible to the strings? Do I work on accuracy and speed now and give a little leeway with how far my fingers move and work on the distance over time?
    Last edited by Lift88; 01-06-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Well, for chromatic runs, say 1-2-3-4 starting from the low E and working down to the low E. When I move to the next string my index finger frets the next note and when my pinky lifts it rings more often than not. When the bpm increases it seems so difficult to quickly mute just that string with the right hand. Of course I have no choice but to drop the bpm again since I'm making mistakes and trying to fix it. Even when slowing things up (say 60 bpm) it'll still ring out. I won't hear it unplugged but it's obvious as can be plugged in to the amp.

Is it a matter of pressure on the strings? should I be muting better? (If so, how do you mute so quickly at the higher bpms?)

EDIT:
    Thanks as well Mindripper! I'll keep it slow and keep up with the practice. One more question if you don't mind. Watching advanced players you can see that their fingers move so slightly off of the strings. Is this something I should work hard on now? It's so tough to keep that pinky close to the strings (much less as close as the advanced players), do I keep the bpms as low as necessary and work on keeping my fingers as close as possible to the strings? Do I work on accuracy and speed now and give a little leeway with how far my fingers move and work on the distance over time?
    I'd check the motion you are using with your pinky. It sounds like when you lift it, you are going more down (towards the floor) than out (perpendicular to the fretboard).

Practice just 1-4 (index, pinky) focusing on this. You don't even need to use your right hand at all, just have your left hand on going 1-4 4-1 (repeat ad naseum). Do not increase speed until this is silent.

I do the exact opposite exercise on both basses (double bass and electric) to increase strength, dexterity, and speed. I DO pull off and try to get the pitch to speak evenly with all 4 fingers of the left hand.

When you think you are practicing slow enough, cut it down by half. There are times where I practice with quarter note = 20.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

EDIT:
    Speed is a by product of good technique so practice will improve that over time. I work on my picking technique everyday during my warm up and I really struggle when I don't take 15-20 minutes of time to properly warm-up.

For me a warm-up would be something like:

* 5-10 minutes of chromatic exercises / finger independence (See Loomis / Gilbert & Petrucci instructional vids for some killer ideas

* 15 minutes of scale practice using different picking / legato / sweeping etc... Normally start with C Major or G Major / related modes

If you have limited scale knowledge; you can invent a routine using something like this:

Remember to focus! Remember to have fun! Remember why you want to play!

When you get to a certain point of your playing; you will need to work extremely hard to get past sticking points. You need to let it rip in order to play fast but make sure your fundmentals are working prior to that...

In my own playing, I often focus on smooth things out with legato and moving from string to string using economy picking. For instance when transitioning from the B string to E it makes sense to use a down stroke...
    Semper Fi

Thanks CamMcIntyre and Mindripper! Extremely helpful comments and suggestions. I'll do the 1-4 method you mentioned Cam and I'll also work in the warm-up methods you mentioned Mindripper!

Thanks again!

Some fresh ideas for this thread...

Let's name our favorite three intro riffs and favorite three solos.

For me, some of current favorites include:

Riffs-

1) Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect
    2) Death - Pull the Plug
    3) Pantera - Rise

Solos:

1) Dokken - Kiss of Death
    2) Metallica - Frayed Ends of Sanity
    3) Ozzy - Revelation (Mother Earth)
    Semper Fi

Rif***e

Savatage- Hall of the Mountain King
    Touriquet- Ark of Suffering
    Jimi or Stevie- Voodoo child

solo
    Stevie-Texas Flood
    Savatage- Ghost in the Ruins
    Randy- Mr Crowley

I could do this all day, it changes by the hour
    Labrador Retriever crew

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    Let's name our favorite three intro riffs and favorite three solos.
    To play or just in general?

Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    To play or just in general?
    Doesn't really matter... Let's say to play.

bignpisst - I hear you... So many great things to learn and listen to.
    Semper Fi

BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    The three golden rules from JUSTINGUITAR are handy
    I would add a fourth that is every bit as important: ALWAYS playing in tune, as it develops your ear's ability to calculate, recognize and think in the right pitch and is basically the foundation for your musical knowledge.
    The assassins of freedom tend the burning of truth.

Originally Posted by BobDaNob View Post
    I would add a fourth that is every bit as important: ALWAYS playing in tune, as it develops your ear's ability to calculate, recognize and think in the right pitch and is basically the foundation for your musical knowledge.
    Yeah, I guess I take both of those for granted since both my guitars have floyds and once tuned stay on point pretty well.

My Nightswan is tuned to D right now and it hardly ever goes out even by the smallest amount.

If you play along with any sort of tabs you should always make sure your tuning is dead on to the recording.
    Semper Fi

rif***e is a bad word and I like it
    Labrador Retriever crew