Closed Thread
Page 234 of 336 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 232 233 234 235 236 244 284 334 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,020 of 10051
    skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey guitar brahs, just found this thread by chance (i'm trying to get back into working out again so I came straight to the misc, lol) and it's exactly what I'd been looking for in the past to get back into learning how to play guitar again!

I was only beginner-ish when I stopped playing, and that was about 18years ago, so the exercises and methods laid out in this thread are a perfect reintroduction, so many ty's to the posters from OG times.

Would anybody from this thread be able to help me identify 2 of my old electric guitars and tell me if it's worth restoring them over buying a new one? I still have them from way back, but I haven't looked after them. Some pickups and various other parts look damaged or are missing, and I don't know if they still work when plugged into an amp because my amp is also old af, but I would love it if I could save my guitars..

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by skewermode View Post
    Would anybody from this thread be able to help me identify 2 of my old electric guitars and tell me if it's worth restoring them over buying a new one? I still have them from way back, but I haven't looked after them. Some pickups and various other parts look damaged or are missing, and I don't know if they still work when plugged into an amp because my amp is also old af, but I would love it if I could save my guitars..
    Upload photos to imgur, post the links, and I'll embed them.

Pickups are easy to replace and it's never too late to start playing again.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by BetaThanU View Post
    1212, one of my fav PG instrumental tracks. Its not a show off song, just has great groove and soulful playing. The guitar is like a singer in this
    PG has definitely evolved since Racer X and I like his tone a lot more these days.

On the subject of groove and soulful playing one of the 80s Shrapnel artists who rarely gets mentioned these days is Michael Lee Firkins. Really interesting player with impeccable phrasing.

ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    coming in with another acousitc hendrix cover
    def need to practice sum more and dive deeper into the song but heres what i got so far

***Strong 2nd Reply Crew***

Registered User RespectYourself's Avatar
    RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RespectYourself has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ashin1 View Post
    def need to practice sum more and dive deeper into the song but heres what i got so far

Great work, love playing this on my Tele. Learned most of it from Tim Pierce:

Favourite part I throw in is the little riff he shows at 8:30.

ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ashin1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RespectYourself View Post
    Great work, love playing this on my Tele. Learned most of it from Tim Pierce:

Favourite part I throw in is the little riff he shows at 8:30.
    Thanks brah

mmm that sounds dope. Tim Pierce rips!

rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Totally not trying not to sound patronizing but seems like you've improved since your hey joe video. Your sense of time seems better, more in the pocket, and your tone/articulations seems cleaner.
    good job mang

Originally Posted by rollerball View Post
    Totally not trying not to sound patronizing but seems like you've improved since your hey joe video. Your sense of time seems better, more in the pocket, and your tone/articulations seems cleaner.
    good job mang
    appreciate the comment brah, the more i play and practice the more I realize how important each note is and how my ear is a gets sharper the more i practice. Been trying to get more familiar using my pinky when playing helps heaps as well.

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    appreciate the comment brah, the more i play and practice the more I realize how important each note is and how my ear is a gets sharper the more i practice. Been trying to get more familiar using my pinky when playing helps heaps as well.
    I’m starting to learn it’s not “what you play” but how you play it. I can usually figure out what key most music is in and fall back to basic pentatonics but certain songs with particular chords force me to use my ear and play obscure notes. I guess it just comes with time more than anything but I’m trying to develop my own style finally as a guitarist. Good job brah
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whaaaaat? I've been on BB.com for years, just for the diet/fitness stuff, and just started randomly browsing and found this thread for the first time...going to have to catch up on some of this massive thread haha. Been playing about 25 years, worked a bit professionally in the past, play many instruments beyond guitar, have scored some theatrical shows and small indy films on top of being in a couple bands over the years...stoked to find this guitar thread! Shred on }:-)

skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000) skewermode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Upload photos to imgur, post the links, and I'll embed them.

Pickups are easy to replace and it's never too late to start playing again.
    Thanks, that's good to hear. I'm just now finding out how easily'?' replaceable all parts are.

There are quite a few pics so I've put them into albums instead.

Guitar #1: Cort X-2

Album: imgur.com/a/rEIXZ

Not sure if it shares the same specs as the one shown on their website as it's been slightly redesigned.

Specs: cortguitars.com/en/product/product_view.asp?idx=98

I've stripped all the parts and I'm pretty sure they all need replacing, they are coated in a sticky gritty dust both on the inside and out. The nut is damaged too. Neck and body looks good to my untrained eye.

-Aside from light surfaces scratches, does it look solid enough to put new parts in over buying a new one?
    --Any recommendations on parts/quality brands?

Guitar #2: Epiphone <model?> (Sorry, nobody should have to see this..)

Album: imgur.com/a/8jU8H

Sad about this one. I thought the chip on the bottom edge was the body damage, but it's most of the front face... It came with a sweet looking mirror pickguard, and until today, I didn't know that it was custom fit, and fit by a potato.

On a more positive note, I now know after all these years why I could never find a replacement pick guard or identify which model it was, lol.

Because I don't plan on throwing this away without trying to do something equally as dumb to the body to attempt to "fix" it, I want try and clean up / replace each part with its original if still available.

-Can anybody identify the model?
    -Do you think the pickups will clean/fix up or are the internals on them likely ruined?
    --Best replacement option? I loved the sound they produced, was very different from my X-2 iirc.
    -Do you know where the green and red striped wire is going in the last picture?

Thanks for any help. I'd go to an actual guitar message board with this, but many are at the end stages of life, or full of shills and textbook professionals, making it difficult to distinguish good from bad. Misc still looks to be keeping it real and going for the jugular.

sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000)
    One brand in particular until recently I had no real opinion either way on is Musicman. I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning trying a heap of different 'higher end' guitars and the Musicman were absolutely phenomenal. They have gone from not even on my wishlist to the top. My biggest sticking point is I dont love the way they look but man we just 'gelled'

This particular shop didnt stock Ibanez or Charvel or Jackson or ESP so I've gotta do some more looking around, but I was so surprised I felt the need to share haha
    weight = 69.9kgs (154lbs) ---- > 82.4kgs (181lbs) ----> 85.1kgs (187lbs)
    ___________1/2/12____________1/12/12____________1/3/13

SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by sirmisc View Post
    One brand in particular until recently I had no real opinion either way on is Musicman. I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning trying a heap of different 'higher end' guitars and the Musicman were absolutely phenomenal. They have gone from not even on my wishlist to the top. My biggest sticking point is I dont love the way they look but man we just 'gelled'

This particular shop didnt stock Ibanez or Charvel or Jackson or ESP so I've gotta do some more looking around, but I was so surprised I felt the need to share haha
    Fuk I keep hearing people say this about the JP musicmans(or is plural musicmen lol??).. That when they first tried it they were mind blown at how good it felt. Fuk my country for not having them.

Sad about this one. I thought the chip on the bottom edge was the body damage, but it's most of the front face... It came with a sweet looking mirror pickguard, and until today, I didn't know that it was custom fit, and fit by a potato.

On a more positive note, I now know after all these years why I could never find a replacement pick guard or identify which model it was, lol.

Because I don't plan on throwing this away without trying to do something equally as dumb to the body to attempt to "fix" it, I want try and clean up / replace each part with its original if still available.

-Do you think the pickups will clean/fix up or are the internals on them likely ruined?
    --Best replacement option? I loved the sound they produced, was very different from my X-2 iirc.

Thanks for any help. I'd go to an actual guitar message board with this, but many are at the end stages of life, or full of shills and textbook professionals, making it difficult to distinguish good from bad. Misc still looks to be keeping it real and going for the jugular.
    Looks like a G-400 minus the pickguard.

A skilled tech could replace the wood in the cavity, sand, and respray, but that's more money and trouble than it's worth unless it has sentimental value and sounds/plays great.

Here's a simple fix using brass. About as good as it's going to look without an extensive repair and at least the guitar is functional again.

sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000) sirmisc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
    Fuk I keep hearing people say this about the JP musicmans(or is plural musicmen lol??).. That when they first tried it they were mind blown at how good it felt. Fuk my country for not having them.
    the neck ... amazing. I've had my heart set on a Custom 24 for a while and Musicman blew it away (for me) Though I do still think the PRS looks better.

They also have everything - coil split/tap, boost switch, sweet trem system, piezo, a million options for blending the piezo with the magnetic pickups

A big part of the appeal since the EVH days is the way they finish the neck plus they now roast them.

Taking it a step further is roasted + unfinished. I can get used to anything but it would be tough to go back to a finished neck. I also like quartersawn maple. Don't want to get into a tonewood debate but to me a stiffer neck = brighter with a faster attack which I like. Ibanez used it on their MIJ 90s necks. Fender still use it on the EJ Strat and EVH models.

Last edited by Dominik; 03-11-2018 at 05:47 PM.

CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Damn sad to see a big hole in that Epi, I have a whole list of mods I'm considering for my limited edition G-400 I don't plan on reselling it. I already changed the pups in mine, just gotta find the time (and cash) to get a roller bridge and a new nut. I kinda want to put Kluson style key tuners on it also but don't want to drill the new holes into the headstock :/
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

A big part of the appeal since the EVH days is the way they finish the neck plus they now roast them.

Taking it a step further is roasted + unfinished. I can get used to anything but it would be tough to go back to a finished neck. I also like quartersawn maple. Don't want to get into a tonewood debate but to me a stiffer neck = brighter with a faster attack which I like. Ibanez used it on their MIJ 90s necks. Fender still use it on the EJ Strat and EVH models.

[img]neck pic[/img]
    Yes the JP15 had the bolt on roasted neck, the Majesty had the same neck spec but with a matte finish. The roasted was amazing. I couldnt play loud, or even in an amp I was used to so I cant comment accurately on tone, but I was hitting harmonics everywhere it just wanted to scream

SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SwimToTheMoon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I have no idea about guitar specs, all I know is they're made out of wood and have magnetic pickups.. Gotta start reading about this so I can go into a guitar store and know more or else what I'm looking for lol

Looks like a G-400 minus the pickguard.

A skilled tech could replace the wood in the cavity, sand, and respray, but that's more money and trouble than it's worth unless it has sentimental value and sounds/plays great.

Here's a simple fix using brass. About as good as it's going to look without an extensive repair and at least the guitar is functional again.
    It definitely holds sentimental value, but I feel most is lost when it's stripped down and replaced of parts by somebody anyway, so yeh as you say it just ends up not being worth it..

I really love that brass fix though, it's given me a great idea, thanks man.

That blog led me onto everything I need, so I'm going to start a project and do something nice with my Epi, and then I'm not taking away any sentimental value, only adding to it.

Originally Posted by CherryPopinski View Post
    Damn sad to see a big hole in that Epi, I have a whole list of mods I'm considering for my limited edition G-400 I don't plan on reselling it. I already changed the pups in mine, just gotta find the time (and cash) to get a roller bridge and a new nut. I kinda want to put Kluson style key tuners on it also but don't want to drill the new holes into the headstock :/
    Have you got any pics of your G-400 in this thread?

I'm just going to replace the bridge saddles(if I can find any) and probably throw in some low cost pups. If it plays nice and turns out nice i'll be creepin on your mod list brah..

Have you got any pics of your G-400 in this thread?

I'm just going to replace the bridge saddles(if I can find any) and probably throw in some low cost pups. If it plays nice and turns out nice i'll be creepin on your mod list brah..
    This is an old picture, but it's one of the limited edition G-400s with Maestro vibrola that Epiphone did for the holiday season of 2005. Really cool guitar, I changed the stock pick-ups/new electronics and got the frets leveled I really like it. A roller bridge and new nut are definitely on the to-do list. I know it's not necessary but the key style tuners would look much better on this guitar,

-Socrates

I have no idea about guitar specs, all I know is they're made out of wood and have magnetic pickups.. Gotta start reading about this so I can go into a guitar store and know more or else what I'm looking for lol
    I'll have to get around to writing a TL;DR post going through everything I look for and make it a spoiler so it doesn't clutter up the thread. That might help you.

When you order custom parts or a custom guitar you're forced to think about every aspect of a build. I try to avoid drifting into cork sniffer territory but it helps to understand a lot of this stuff so you can make informed decisions and avoid trial and error which gets expensive. Also doing my own setups and fretwork makes it easier to diagnose problems in other guitars.

rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'll have to get around to writing a TL;DR post going through everything I look for and make it a spoiler so it doesn't clutter up the thread. That might help you.

When you order custom parts or a custom guitar you're forced to think about every aspect of a build. I try to avoid drifting into cork sniffer territory but it helps to understand a lot of this stuff so you can make informed decisions and avoid trial and error which gets expensive. Also doing my own setups and fretwork makes it easier to diagnose problems in other guitars.
    Yo, do you think those new Ibanez prestige AZ model guitars are worth $2000? I'm actually considering getting one.

Yo, do you think those new Ibanez prestige AZ model guitars are worth $2000? I'm actually considering getting one.
    I'd be looking to play a similarly spec'd Suhr if you can find a store with one to see how it compares. I have no doubt Sugi and Fujigen which Ibanez use for the top of the line stuff can build a guitar as good as Suhr.

I'd also be interested to see how both a Prestige and Premium AZ stack up to find out if the $1K MIJ markup is worth it.

Both have roasted necks with SS frets with the same profile and radius specs. Same Duncan Hyperion pickups. Trems are both based on Gotoh 510T with the Prestige models having titanium saddles. You'd expect Prestige fret work to be nicer but a good tech for a hundred bucks could change that.

Body wood is different: Alder (Prestige) vs. basswood (Premium). Quick rant about basswood:
    Spoiler!

I'd be looking to play a similarly spec'd Suhr if you can find a store with one to see how it compares. I have no doubt Sugi and Fujigen which Ibanez use for the top of the line stuff can build a guitar as good as Suhr.

I'd also be interested to see how both a Prestige and Premium AZ stack up to find out if the $1K MIJ markup is worth it.

Both have roasted necks with SS frets with the same profile and radius specs. Same Duncan Hyperion pickups. Trems are both based on Gotoh 510T with the Prestige models having titanium saddles. You'd expect Prestige fret work to be nicer but a good tech for a hundred bucks could change that.

Body wood is different: Alder (Prestige) vs. basswood (Premium).
    If the primary difference between Premium and Prestige is the body wood then I'd go for the cheaper one. As you may remember, I'm highly skeptical of the influence of tone that comes with solid body wood material.

If the primary difference between Premium and Prestige is the body wood then I'd go for the cheaper one. As you may remember, I'm highly skeptical of the influence of tone that comes with solid body wood material.
    I remember. Just pointing out that it's been used on many expensive signature guitars so it shouldn't be seen as cost cutting since the difference in the price of a blank for a body is about $20 which is peanuts on a $3K guitar.

The main difference I'm guessing would be the fret ends. Same fret wire. They're all glued and pressed in the same way. They're all leveled, crowned, and polished the same way. The final step is the fret ends and that's where someone in Japan is spending a bit more time making them look and feel nicer. Nothing a decent tech can't do for a lot less.

Looking at the specs I can't see a $1000 difference. Might have to wait for preorder hype to die down so you can pick one up in a store and see for yourself.

I remember. Just pointing out that it's been used on many expensive signature guitars so it shouldn't be seen as cost cutting since the difference in the price of a blank for a body is about $20 which is peanuts on a $3K guitar.

The main difference I'm guessing would be the fret ends. Same fret wire. They're all glued and pressed in the same way. They're all leveled, crowned, and polished the same way. The final step is the fret ends and that's where someone in Japan is spending a bit more time making them look and feel nicer. Nothing a decent tech can't do for a lot less.

Looking at the specs I can't see a $1000 difference. Might have to wait for preorder hype to die down so you can pick one up in a store and see for yourself.
    So is there no extra special 'mojo' or anything that MIJ prestige would have over the indonesian premium other than fretwork and body wood? No special skills that the japanese luthiers have to demand such a high price for their work?

So is there no extra special 'mojo' or anything that MIJ prestige would have over the indonesian premium other than fretwork and body wood? No special skills that the japanese luthiers have to demand such a high price for their work?
    Other than the mythical "S-TECH WOOD" spec, I can't see it.

If we're talking about acoustic instruments or a jazz box then it's a different story, and perhaps a set neck electric where the neck angle needs to be perfect, but this is a bolt on solid body.
    Spoiler!

All that being said, personally I wouldn't buy a Premium sight unseen or without a decent return policy. I'd want to check that the neck was perfectly straight and make sure it intonates properly.

Prestige is probably worth it if you've got the budget and want the best but for many players that $1000 should probably go toward a decent amp and some pedals.

Edit: Could have sworn they were $2300~ when they were first announced. I see they're just under $2K. $700 difference is a little more persuasive. If I were buying one I'd probably get the Prestige just for peace of mind that I'm most likely getting the most structurally sound neck. Besides if you're buying something you plan to play for at least the next 10 years a few hundred bucks is peanuts.
    Last edited by Dominik; 03-14-2018 at 02:21 AM.

Edit: Could have sworn they were $2300~ when they were first announced. I see they're just under $2K. $700 difference is a little more persuasive. If I were buying one I'd probably get the Prestige just for piece of mind that I'm most likely getting the most structurally sound neck. Besides if you're buying something you plan to play for at least the next 10 years a few hundred bucks is peanuts.
    It's funny, but one of the things preventing me from wanting to get the prestige is the color options for the US line. I'm just not feeling the periwinkle blue or whatever, also never been a huge fan of sunburst style color.

It's funny, but one of the things preventing me from wanting to get the prestige is the color options for the US line. I'm just not feeling the periwinkle blue or whatever, also never been a huge fan of sunburst style color.
    I hear you. I like the simple stuff. Not something to hang on the wall and admire but pick up and play. I can appreciate it but I probably wouldn't buy a guitar that looks like exotic furniture.

That being said Martin Miller's sig model looks nice although I'd prefer ebony or rosewood over maple and the standard Ibanez headstock.

Along those lines Pete Thorn's Suhr is more my style. Being a fan of HH on an S style I prefer 22 fret guitars. Aesthetics aside the neck pickup sounds better there.

Closed Thread
Page 234 of 336 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 232 233 234 235 236 244 284 334 ... LastLast