BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Protein powder for a diabetic..?

My mom is 56 years old and she has diabetes. Lately she has started skipping meals and has been complaining of weakness (obviously). Now, the food that she does eat, isn't very nutritious. She does not eat much meat either, so her diet is also lacking in protein. Her arms have become rather skinny, but they still have a lot of fat in them. I was thinking of purchasing a protein powder to supplement her diet and enhance her (deteriorating) physical state. Specifically, I was looking at "LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein," as it has 0% carbs, no sugar, no cholesterol and zero calories (or so it says).

Is this a good choice? Is there a better substitute?
    Are there any ill side-effects that I should be concerned about?

Inquire about Zapnin SolidSteel86's Avatar
    SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To simply answer your question: The one you picked sounds fine and it shouldn't be an issue.

Disclaimer: I'm not a physician (yet) or endocrinologist. Another source for your information wouldn't be a bad idea (I'm sure there are diabetic forums on the net somewhere).
    I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor. -- Thoreau

BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) BastardGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, I've read through some of the threads at different Diabetic forums, but I thought members here would know more about the contents and effects of specific protein powders.

tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BastardGuy View Post
    My mom is 56 years old and she has diabetes. Lately she has started skipping meals and has been complaining of weakness (obviously). Now, the food that she does eat, isn't very nutritious. She does not eat much meat either, so her diet is also lacking in protein. Her arms have become rather skinny, but they still have a lot of fat in them. I was thinking of purchasing a protein powder to supplement her diet and enhance her (deteriorating) physical state. Specifically, I was looking at "LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein," as it has 0% carbs, no sugar, no cholesterol and zero calories (or so it says).

Is this a good choice? Is there a better substitute?
    Are there any ill side-effects that I should be concerned about?
    I dont think the zero calorie part is correct. Think about it, if there is protein then there will be calories. Do you mean there might be zero sugar calories (assuming they are using sugar alcohols or some other substitute)?

Some proteins powders that go to great lengths to get zero carbs taste terrible to me. I like Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey Chocolate. They have a modest amount of carbs and a good amount of protein. Your mom could test herself before and after consuming it to see how her body handles the mix.

Originally Posted by tave View Post
    I dont think the zero calorie part is correct. Think about it, if there is protein then there will be calories. Do you mean there might be zero sugar calories (assuming they are using sugar alcohols or some other substitute)?

Some proteins powders that go to great lengths to get zero carbs taste terrible to me. I like Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey Chocolate. They have a modest amount of carbs and a good amount of protein. Your mom could test herself before and after consuming it to see how her body handles the mix.
    Sorry, it says zero calories from fat. But 145 calories in general. I had made a mistake.
    Here's are the nutritional values:

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 145 **
    Calories From Fat 0 **
    Total Fat 1g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 26g 51%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Potassium 100mg 3%

"Optimum Natural Whey" has 10% cholesterol and 5g carbs. So, I think I'm just going to order it and see what happens. Hopefully she won't have any issues with it.

Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use protein factory protein. It's has the largest variety and best quality. Plus it's highly customizable.

zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50) zstanton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BastardGuy View Post
    Sorry, it says zero calories from fat. But 145 calories in general. I had made a mistake.
    Here's are the nutritional values:

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 145 **
    Calories From Fat 0 **
    Total Fat 1g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 26g 51%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Potassium 100mg 3%

"Optimum Natural Whey" has 10% cholesterol and 5g carbs. So, I think I'm just going to order it and see what happens. Hopefully she won't have any issues with it.

26*4= 104
    1*9= 9 (from the 1g of fat for which there are no calories???)
    1*4=4
    117 calories from macros there are nearly 30 missing calories per serving ?!?!? im always sketched out by large cal differences

Originally Posted by Absurdist View Post
    I use protein factory protein. It's has the largest variety and best quality. Plus it's highly customizable.
    I'm searching through the site, and it's pretty good actually..
    The prices seem reasonable so far.

Originally Posted by zstanton View Post
    26*4= 104
    1*4=4
    117 calories from macros there are nearly 30 missing calories per serving ?!?!? im always sketched out by large cal differences
    The fat calories aren't included?

Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50) Absurdist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by zstanton View Post
    26*4= 104
    1*4=4
    Commercial protein powders always has filler. That's why I change to protein factory.

fatguyjogblog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

There is a good shake for Diabetics

Take a look at Shakeology. There is a woman in my office that is diabetic and she uses it as a meal replacement. It's got a excellent glycemic index and should help with the weakness.

go to my website there is a link for shakeology on there. fatguyjogblog . com

cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawkman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try Glucerna?
    I think you should look up for meal replacement rather than protein powder.

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

I am a type II diabetic. The protein powder available on this site I was more than happy with. Does that other protein company have a weightlifting site tht you can go to? Oh gosh, thats right Bodybuilding.com had the best site, and the protein powder that diabetics use and like.
    Do what's right.

Originally Posted by cawkman View Post
    Try Glucerna?
    I think you should look up for meal replacement rather than protein powder.
    Well, my mom does not like home cooked food, what she eats is mostly veggies. She also eats plenty of rice, cookies, and chips (and other junk food), so she does get enough carbs. I also don't want her to gain any weight, because even though she is 120lb, she has a good amount of fat in her body.
    Protein is what's missing from her diet, but she does not exercise, she can't actually as she gets injured easily. So I need a type of protein powder that will help in burning fat and build muscle with minimal workout. Her workout will consist of basically walking and lifting of 2,1/2 pound weights.

Originally Posted by philipj View Post
    I am a type II diabetic. The protein powder available on this site I was more than happy with. Does that other protein company have a weightlifting site tht you can go to? Oh gosh, thats right Bodybuilding.com had the best site, and the protein powder that diabetics use and like.
    How old are you?
    What product do you use, and do you also workout?