MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Having Knee Problems...Squat Questions

Basic Info:
    I'm 21 years old.
    I had 2 ACL surgeries on my right knee in high school.
    I love bodybuilding and playing basketball.
    Began squatting last year

The Issue:
    Last year I began squatting; I thought that it would be okay to squat 2-3 yrs out of surgery. After a few weeks, I tore cartilage in my right knee while playing basketball. I thought "Hey, bad luck". About two months later I began squatting again. A few weeks after that, I sprained my knee. Again, I thought "hey bad luck". I started the rippetoe workout this past august, so I've been squatting routinely. Well, of course, last week I sprained my knee AGAIN playing basketball. This time I learned my lesson. I CANNOT BE SQUATTING AND PLAYING SPORTS. But, I want to continue the rippetoe workout; I am getting great results.

The Workout: 4 days a week
    day 1
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

day 2
    squat 3x5
    military press 3x5
    power clean 5x3

The Question:
    Can you guys help me out? Does anyone have any suggestions for an exercise/exercises that can replace the squat?
    I know i know, the squat is THE BEST exercise and there is no replacement, but I simply cannot do it. Don't get me wrong, it does not hurt my knee when I squat. But I guess my knee can't handle the pressure of squatting AND playing.
    Help please!?

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Leg press. Honestly, don't get wrapped up in the Rippetoe hype. It's a good routine, but it's not magic. Depending on your goals, it might not even be worth the hastle.

ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MightyMouse43 View Post
    .......Can you guys help me out? Does anyone have any suggestions for an exercise/exercises that can replace the squat?
    Originally Posted by MightyMouse43 View Post
    .....there is no replacement......I guess my knee can't handle the pressure of squatting AND playing.
    Help please!?
    If the only time you injure your knee is while doing other sports you have to look at that situation, how you land your jumps, your twists and turns. Leg press is not an alternative in any way shape or form. You could alternate your squat days to heavy, medium, light (or some combination).

So it's not Rip's but it may take some of the pressure from your knee problem and aid recovery.
    Recovering dislocated right shoulder since 04/07/2010 :-(

Login Incorrect, you have -2.0E+24 tries remaining

BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here's a thought, STOP DOING HIGH IMPACT SPORTS ON A ****ED UP KNEE!!

brb destroying knee.

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i completely destroyed my right knee when i was 21 and it quickly made me realize that sports weren't worth the risk of a debilitating injury. yeah a year after surgery you might be OK but think about when you are in your 60s *if you live that long* and its hard to get around.

ask yourself was it really worth it? you weren't earning $ playing those sports.......

just another point of view.

ALSO! WTF are you doing for your hamstrings? hamstrings support ALL of the dynamic movements of the knee. weak hamstrings that also lack flexibility are not able to support the knee well.

lay off the squats for a month or two and focus on doing stiff legged deadlifts and leg curls. do both! work the muscle through its stretch, midrange and contraction for the best results.

MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by XXX666 View Post
    i completely destroyed my right knee when i was 21 and it quickly made me realize that sports weren't worth the risk of a debilitating injury. yeah a year after surgery you might be OK but think about when you are in your 60s *if you live that long* and its hard to get around.

ask yourself was it really worth it? you weren't earning $ playing those sports.......

just another point of view.

ALSO! WTF are you doing for your hamstrings? hamstrings support ALL of the dynamic movements of the knee. weak hamstrings that also lack flexibility are not able to support the knee well.

lay off the squats for a month or two and focus on doing stiff legged deadlifts and leg curls. do both! work the muscle through its stretch, midrange and contraction for the best results.

Thanks. Appreciate the responses