Xt9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

** Bench Press - No Burn in My Chest ** Help!

I just bought a bench press, and when I bench, I feel no burn in my chest, what so ever.
    My arms just tend to give out.
    I'm new to benching, but I'm a pretty big guy, I'm only doing 100lbs.

Heres my new bench set.
    img9.imageshack.us/i/benchl.jpg/

I'm literally, brand new to benching. First time, ever.
    My friend has told me it's because I'm not putting my hands wide enough on the bar.
    I'm going as far as I can go on this set up...
    Is it too small? It's only 1.9ft in distance (the placement of my hands)
    What do I do?

danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) danp00 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you squeezin your chest while you are doin it?
    BF3 ID: st0sh
    UIUC crew

3k+, leave link

ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have patience, you can't expect 1st time to get it right. Feeling the burn doesn't equal a good workout, adding weight and reps over time equals good workout progress. Everyones hand placement is going to be different, but looking at your bench set-up does suggest your hands are gonna be to close on the bar. Just be sure when the bar touches your chest that forearms are vertical like I - I and not / - \, that is where the power is most economical. Tired arms could just mean they are weaker than chest so fail sooner in the lift, give it time and practicee, it will come together.
    Recovering dislocated right shoulder since 04/07/2010 :-(

Login Incorrect, you have -2.0E+24 tries remaining

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The lack of a "burn" feeling is not an indicator of the effectiveness of a workout. Progression in weights and physique are.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kmabd2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If your arms give out quicky, then maybe your chest isnt getting trained long enough? Try strengthening your arms?

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Without seeing your form its hard to pinpoint a problem, but you said this is your first time. I think its safe to assume form and MMC are an issue atm. That being said, bench isnt an exercise that will really pump up the chest in comparison to some other exercises (like db presses, flyes or dips for me).

If possible get a video up of you benching and i think you will get some good feedback on any issues.

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Assuming I'm the only person yet to look at your picture. That bar and bench are tiny. You aren't using a wide enough grip and are doing what is actually referred to as a Close Grip Bench Press (CGBP), which is primarily used to target the triceps.

I don't feel you will be able to use that setup to effectively bench press.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153427731&page=1

FMH Crew Brit in Training

Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100) Bogart80 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by pezking7p View Post
    Assuming I'm the only person yet to look at your picture. That bar and bench are tiny. You aren't using a wide enough grip and are doing what is actually referred to as a Close Grip Bench Press (CGBP), which is primarily used to target the triceps.

I think I would have to agree. Maybe get a new bar and place the hands outside of the rack.

NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

100% this.

AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AceDanW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree that the bench is too small. It looks like my first one before I got an Olympic sized setup. I was so used to benching with a narrow grip because of the uprights that when I upgrades I couldn't handle half the weight until I adapted to a wider grip. Do yourself a favor and get a wider setup if you can. You will be using a lot more muscles stabilizing the bar.

Xt9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yeah, i'mma get a better bar. Thanks guys!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Question: why can't you target the chest instead of triceps with close-grip as long as the hand are kept overtop of the elbows? The key difference between close and wide grip, other than the more abducted position at the top with wide, is how they tailor to elbows in/out so flexion v. transverse flexion, both of which the pec does.

Considering that if the hands were slightly below the elbows, the tension would be on the bicep rather than tricep to hold that angle, it seems possible to not rely on triceps.

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Question: why can't you target the chest instead of triceps with close-grip as long as the hand are kept overtop of the elbows? The key difference between close and wide grip, other than the more abducted position at the top with wide, is how they tailor to elbows in/out so flexion v. transverse flexion, both of which the pec does.

Considering that if the hands were slightly below the elbows, the tension would be on the bicep rather than tricep to hold that angle, it seems possible to not rely on triceps.
    At the end of the day I think it comes down to greater ROM for the triceps. While the pecs are worked, the lion's share is shifted to the triceps, which reduces the weight you can move, which in turn reduces the load placed on the pecs.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153427731&page=1

FMH Crew Brit in Training