300 Spartan Crew Helot theeperry's Avatar
    theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50)

why do my muscles lock up after a good workout?

i hope this is ok to post here.....

ive googled and searched for over a week now... even asked others- cant find anything. does this happen to anyone else? for ex if i worked out bis hard, i cant even wash my hair that night with out them locking up while i contract them (apx 45 degree angle) or like today i hit legs super hard, if i sit in a chair and raise my leg up by bending at the knee, it'll lock and hurt bad- ill have to slowly force it back down. its a little hard to explain and happens with about 2 muscles a month. usualy legs,bi's, or tri's

fyi, im only on whey protein and multi. drink 1.5 gals of water minimum, eat alot, and sleep 8-9 hours every night.

anyone have any info?
    Gym / competition (raw classic)
    S- 530 / 505
    B- 350 / 335
    D- 585 / 575
    Cj- 264/ 264
    Sn-220/ 220

http://www.********.com/JoshPerryTheePerry

patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000)
    This happens to my brother a lot. Im an aspiring strength coach so when I trained with him and he asked me what was happening I researched and couldnt find anything...The same thing happens to him though and I know that yoga has helped him drastically.

King of Stretch Marks rubik_3x3x3's Avatar
    rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like you're getting a muscular cramp? Is that what you mean by locking up?

If so, make sure you get like 50g whey and 2 bananas post workout, within 30 minutes of lifting, preferably. This should help your muscles get some fuel in them immediately, and avoid them cramping on you.
    9.54 second Rubik's Cube single solve. ~15 second average. Reppin' back any Cube brahs.

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Funny you should ask this was just brought up in one of the chat threads. Are you taking in enough potassium, calcium & vitamin D?

pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    banana
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Knicks - NY Yankees

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction"

theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50) theeperry will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes its like a muscle cramp but it will lock up every time its flexed for up to 12 hours. i thought it was normal untill i ask ppl, everyone was like "thats odd"

i do take whey ice cream milkshake and banana 15 min after a workout and eat alot 30-40min after a workout

thanks patkoch, i guess ill try stretch'n longer before and after my workout

ill try to up my potassium, i also drink ALOT of milk. prob 3/4 a gal a day, every day

}}}}}}thank you everyone for input - will rep{{{{{{{{{{{
    S- 530 / 505
    B- 350 / 335
    D- 585 / 575
    Cj- 264/ 264
    Sn-220/ 220

KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100)
    I used to have this way back when I first picked up a dumbbell. Tight muscles contribute to it. Overworking your muscles can also lead to it.

mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000) mtfx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MWheatley View Post
    Funny you should ask this was just brought up in one of the chat threads. Are you taking in enough potassium, calcium & vitamin D?
    This would be my suspicion.

My dad had this happening to him after hard trail hikes...as it turned out, it was a sodium/potassium imbalance.

The banana is right up that alley...though avocados have more potassium
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep
    http://infinitelabsstore.com/

♦♦ I Am Juggernaut Challenge ♦♦ Win a Trip to the 2011 Mr. Olympia!!!
    www.iamjuggernaut.com
    http://iamjuggernaut.com/rules.pdf

Group Juggernaut!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/group.php?groupid=30172

Visit Infinite Labs on ********:
    http://www.********.com/InfiniteLabsSupplements

ROM and MMC are more important than EGO
    400Lb Gorilla

King of Stretch Marks rubik_3x3x3's Avatar
    rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000) rubik_3x3x3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ya, potassium is hard as hell to get lol. Also, try stretching BETWEEN sets. Not only could it help with this problem, it also helps clear some of the lactic acid out and refresh you for next set. More relevant on higher rep routines (12-15), but still useful.
    9.54 second Rubik's Cube single solve. ~15 second average. Reppin' back any Cube brahs.

kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevans74 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bananas and WATER... and STRETCH

i kinda know what u mean...
    I tend to stretch after EVERY set, even supersets, get/use a short bench and stretch ur entire arm(bi/tris) whatever ur working and let it stretch out, u shouldn't feel so much "locking out/soreness" after and ull probably see some more growth in your arms too...

Also, make sure u drink LOTS of water, i'm serious, i didn't notice real improvements until i LITERALLY started to drink about a GALLON of water per workout, n this just includes sips from my water bottle and trips to the water fountain, water is INCREDIBLY key to growth and not "locking out/soreness" in your muscles, i hope this helps!

kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingarnold187 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    well for one..obviously your getting a great workout..and 2 i would just suggest stretching alooottt~!!! ..im a big guy..but was in martial arts for 9 years growing up...i have kept my flexibility and i know one thing for sure that stretching helps alot with bodybuilding....have you seen ronnie coleman stretch his legs??? hes one flexible mofo ppl probably wouldnt assume so seeing as how big he is...but yeh hope i helped a lil
    MY SIG CAN BE A NOVEL.

i <3 iceman1800

on the real though USMC and proud of it HOORAH.

mrm33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Growing up I use to train for tennis competitions, high cardio my entire child hood from age 7 till age 22 about 3-5 hours of cardio 6 days a week. I ended up taking a 3 year break of fitness and since been trying to get back in the gym but I too am experiencing with what a "muscle lock up" is and searching for a solution. There is a difference between a muscle cramp and a muscle lock up, but they are similar, almost like a lock up you can feel coming on. You can hit the weights or even cardio hard and what ever muscle you are working out, you are feeling ok until you stop.... Once you stop, you can feel the lock up coming on and your done, no more reps, no more running. A cramp can just feel like your muscle is trying to rip itself out of you body with immediate intense pain, while a lock up makes you feel like you have zero strength and very weak for a little while. The other day it happened after only 2 machines, light weight, for triceps, and quickly I was done, both arms locked up as soon as I finished a set and I couldn't even pick up my towel, and couldn't even open a door for 15 minutes. The same thing will happen to legs after a cardio session (short but intense), and it scary, working out even cardio sometimes and coming down stairs and thinking you could lock up and fall all the way down the stairs in front of everyone in a large gym such as LA fitness... and I'm only 27, and not overweight. better stick to much slower and longer pace, than short and fast.

unsuccessful remedies:
    I have tried increasing my water intake ( to prevent cramping)
    potassium tabs
    magnesium pills
    balanced diet
    stretching before and after

Almost as if the body is producing too much lactic acid, OR the muscles are not getting what they need immediately, maybe like oxygen for example even though I should have good circulation, with no other symptoms and have also tried the NO3 supplements for rapid delivery.

One thing that kind of helps sometimes is after you are close to a lock up, actually take a break for 15 min and sometimes you feel a lot better after to work out again, its weird, and no one wants to interrupt their routine, but usually the muscles are ready to go again after a prolonged break.

I have learned its not so much the endurance as it is the amount of intensity of exercise that will cause a lock up. I can walk 15 miles no problem, but walking up 4 flight of stairs and locking up? ok.....

A lot of doctors have no clue, the condition is not getting worst, but I can't even find what its called to even look it up and continue my search. One medical personnel did tell me youth athlete muscle fibers become permanently extremely twisted as a teenagers working and training hard while his/her muscles are still growing. Good luck on your search, as I will need it with mine.
    Last edited by mrm33; 06-22-2015 at 06:59 AM.

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Any drastic changes in sodium, increases in water?

I would get cramping as I load water days leading into a show. The body is flushing out.
    Replenish electrolytes, maintain sodium levels- Magnesium was helpful short term, or just coincidental last show.. Mine were short 10-20 second intense toes and calf cramps, only in a laying position say if I lifted my foot from under a sheet.
    Oct 2013- 4th Place Novice, 5th place Open NPC NY Grand Prix
    May 2015- 2nd Place Musclemania New England

mtb020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

me too!

Dude, I've been having the same issue!!! It's never happened to me in my life. I'm 22 and I had just finished training and went and sat down. I used my arm to get up and my tricep immediately locked into place for a good 10-15minutes. Needless to say it freaking sucked. I haven't been able to train in about 3 weeks now(feeling pretty sluggish) & I have no inkling on what to do. I've been drinking a ton of water, ate a lot of mustard(didn't work) and even tried pedilyte. No idea what to do...would love some help and advice.

Wow, 5 years later . I found this old post by Google searching my current symptoms as I roll around the house. Needless to say I still haven't found a solution. Its definitely a horrible muscle cramp. Water and sodium are always consistent. I think it's just a super overworked muscle that is so destroyed and in shock that it can't function properly until it is repaired or maybe the nerve endings relax. Twisted fiber could definitely be a possibility too.

On a side note I've been threw several different diets and when doing a high fat/low carb (less than 200g a day) it seems to happen about half as often
    S- 530 / 505
    B- 350 / 335
    D- 585 / 575
    Cj- 264/ 264
    Sn-220/ 220

BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BtchW8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Calcium supplement bro 2x a day!
    You're lifts are awesome!

allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50) allison8768 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Healthy eating

TjBlackmon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by theeperry View Post

ive googled and searched for over a week now... even asked others- cant find anything. does this happen to anyone else? for ex if i worked out bis hard, i cant even wash my hair that night with out them locking up while i contract them (apx 45 degree angle) or like today i hit legs super hard, if i sit in a chair and raise my leg up by bending at the knee, it'll lock and hurt bad- ill have to slowly force it back down. its a little hard to explain and happens with about 2 muscles a month. usualy legs,bi's, or tri's

fyi, im only on whey protein and multi. drink 1.5 gals of water minimum, eat alot, and sleep 8-9 hours every night.

anyone have any info?
    From what i have learned the locking in your muscles is due to the a lack of water in your body during the workout. just be sure to get proper hydration before and after working out and you should not have that problem anymore

bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjuliuse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've had the same issue. Especially biceps. I think it could actually be high potassium, not low, that might cause it. I say this because OP said he drinks a lot of milk which I do too. I recently had 2 blood tests done for something unrelated and both showed my potassium levels were on the high end.
    "I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone." -Rollins

ISSA-CFT, MBA

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by theeperry View Post

Potassium Is NOT The Answer

This is a misconception that continues to be perpetuated.

Low Magnesium IS The Issue

The cure for muscle cramps is Magnesium.

Taking a "Time-Released" Magnesium Supplement (such as Slow-Mag) for two week will solve your issue.

Drinking 1.5 Gallons is SENSELESS

There is NO reason to drink that much water. It is idiotic.

You are COMPOUNDING your muscle cramp issue by consuming that much water.

By drinking that much water you are deleting minerals needed for the body/muscle to function.

Can Drinking Too Much Water Cause Low Potassium?

"Excessive fluid loss causes your body to lose electrolytes, leading to an electrolyte imbalance."

"Drinking too much water can also lead to depletion of magnesium in your body — a mineral essential to maintaining potassium levels."

"Drinking too much water can also lead to depletion of magnesium in your body — a mineral essential to maintaining potassium levels. Magnesium can be flushed out of your body through your urine the same way as potassium. Without adequate magnesium in your body, potassium has difficulty entering into your cells where potassium storage takes place."

Eating A Banana...

is NOT going to solve your problem at this point nor will taking a Magnesium Supplement.

To reiterate, that because that amount of water is depleting your electrolytes.

Resolving Your Problem

The first thing you need to do is STOP drinking 1.5 gallons of water.

The second thing you need to do is grow a brain. You're a new kind of stupid.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by bjuliuse View Post
    I've had the same issue. Especially biceps. I think it could actually be high potassium, not low, that might cause it. I say this because OP said he drinks a lot of milk which I do too. I recently had 2 blood tests done for something unrelated and both showed my potassium levels were on the high end.
    Low Magnesium IS The Issue

Take a "Time Released" Magnesium Supplement like Slow-Mag for about two weeks. That will solve you problem.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.