varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Do certain foods really cause break outs and pimples?

My friend just said something about how she needs to stop eating so much chocolate because it makes you fat and break out. I was about to say "well chocolate will make you fat but it won't make you break out" but then I thought about it, and I really don't have any substantial evidence that chocolate cannot cause pimples. I figure pimples are caused by dirt and oil, hormones, stress. So I can't figure out how chocolate (or other foods such as peanut butter or greasy stuff) can make you break out.

Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Carlycavwifey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've heard certain foods can but whether or not it's true, I have no idea.
    Celebrating the birth of my 3rd crotch dropping :)

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It kinda does but it kinda doesn't. It's hard to explain. This explains it a bit better:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=does+chocolate+cause+acne%3F+
    Last edited by Keltron; 02-08-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

LinnJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by varukers View Post
    My friend just said something about how she needs to stop eating so much chocolate because it makes you fat and break out. I was about to say "well chocolate will make you fat but it won't make you break out" but then I thought about it, and I really don't have any substantial evidence that chocolate cannot cause pimples. I figure pimples are caused by dirt and oil, hormones, stress. So I can't figure out how chocolate (or other foods such as peanut butter or greasy stuff) can make you break out.
    Break outs can be caused by food allergies, if you are allergic or your body cannot process a certain type of food correctly, it will impact your body mainly your digestive system, but that also impacts your horomone levels. Hormone levels, basic hygiene and diet affect your whether or not you will break out. A lot of people do not realize that they are allergic to certain types of food.

So even if you have the best hygene, if your body is not balanced you'll have an adverse reaction.

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends. Breaking out is caused mostly by hormone imbalances, and a lot of people experience breakouts with things like milk because of this. When my brother cut milk out of his diet, a lot of acne cleared up.

The common misconception is that fatty foods will cause over-oily skin and make you break out, which really isn't true.
    ^_^

guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) guest89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A friend of mine found that when he didn't drink caffeine his acne disappeared.

JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unless you're allergic, no. People just want too see the results that they're expecting when they change their diet when in fact, they were likely a teenager and grew out of it.

Legitimate results of diet changes affecting it are few and far in between and only in extreme cases in which the person's hormones were already teetering on the brink of switching gears.
    In that case, a good week may have been enough to have the same effect.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ryshu View Post
    Unless you're allergic, no. People just want too see the results that they're expecting when they change their diet when in fact, they were likely a teenager and grew out of it.

Legitimate results of diet changes affecting it are few and far in between and only in extreme cases in which the person's hormones were already teetering on the brink of switching gears.
    In that case, a good week may have been enough to have the same effect.
    That's a very, VERY bold claim to make seeing as there's quite a lot of established science that has linked the hormonal and insulogenic effects of milk to acne, as well as establishing that a high glyemic load diet is a contributing factor.

To go from that to saying that diet only matters in extreme cases is interesting, to say the least.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243483

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20361171

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616769

eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    mine definitely does, i am a guy tho so what causes me to break out might not cause a female

lately i have avoided sugar especially chocolate, and totally swore off fast food. I break out, but only in one place on my cheeks, nowhere else on my body, and it only occurs when i eat like sh!t, also smoking causes acne IMO, so never do that either

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by varukers View Post
    Visiting dude here. Saw the thread and thought it was interesting. The answer is all of the above. Genetics, diet, weather, cleanliness all play a part. As it relates to genetics, it's not so cut and dried. There are directly related genes, and auxiliary genes involved in nearly all gene expressions. What that means is, lets take the acne example, you can have genes to make you produce lots of sebum (skin lubricating oil). You can have other related genes, like those that influence how large or small the sebaceous glands are, or even how many androgens your body produces. You can also have genes to produce large amounts of white blood cells or small amounts in response to the bacteria that lives in your sebaceous gland. All of these things, in varying ratios will dictate how sever acne might be.

The foods you eat can affect how much sebum you make, how much androgens you make, or even how many white blood cells you make. If it's very dry outside, it may be easier for the bacteria laden sebum to diffuse into the air and if you wash a lot, it may be possible to clear away the contaminated sebum before too large a white blood cell response is solicited.

So, to answer your question. All of the above. I only know a little about genetics because I have a really rare genetic disease so I read a lot and ask my doctors questions.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    That's a very, VERY bold claim to make seeing as there's quite a lot of established science that has linked the hormonal and insulogenic effects of milk to acne, as well as establishing that a high glyemic load diet is a contributing factor.

To go from that to saying that diet only matters in extreme cases is interesting, to say the least.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19243483

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20361171

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17616769

That last one is kind of interesting. Though there are still outside factors which can contribute towards it. Weight loss, season change, placebo effect. As well, this is an example of a complete diet overhaul rather than minor changes associated with acne-prone people such as "they eat too much pizza." I think that a complete diet change IS in fact an extreme example. They're going from average to 100% controlled and monitored. For a person to do in their own home, that isn't just "avoid some foods," that's a complete lifestyle change.

Even the second link takes extreme examples by comparing people consuming 3+ servings per day to those consuming 1 per week. And the chocolate part just seemed stupid. They were feeding people one chocolate bar per day. I think anyone could tell you that that would have negative effects on health. Once again, both these seem to be extremist examples. And they are both still subject to the same outside factors as the 3rd study.

In the context of an average person, having a bit of milk in your cereal or a bit of chocolate once per week is nowhere near what these studies are demonstrating. Honestly, I can't see minor adjustments making a significant difference and every dermatologist I've seen has told met he same thing.

canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've never had an issue with chocolate, but peanut butter absolutely causes pimples for me. It's no problem if I only eat it occasionally, but if I eat it more than 2 days in a row, I will break out. Apparently in some people it increases the production of skin oils which increases the odds of a break out.

It all depends on the person though. Some people can eat anything with no problems. Other people are sensitive to some foods. It's just trial and error to see if something will cause a break out for you or not.