kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Best exercise for kayaking...

Hey all,
    I am an avid fisherman. I used to just fish from the shore until about 3 years ago when I started fishing out of a kayak. I really just started lifting and working out again in about September when it started to get too cold to fish here. No, I dont ice fish.

So ive never really concentrated on increasing my strength for power stroke.
    Just curious what your thoughts are on specific exrcises that would be good for kayaking.

FWIW, I do back twice a week. I mix it up but this is what Ill do.
    Wide grip pullups
    One arm DB rows
    Lat pulldown
    Seated row
    Bent over barbell row
    And Deads to a lesser extant cuz Im not confident in my form yet.

Also, as information, paddling a kayak is not like a "rowing" team like seen in Ivy league schools. Its one side at a time and uses a good amount of torso rotation.

Appreciate the help.

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I kayak and rows of course are a no brainer.

You also need a strong core...your abs are going to get killed. I'd do some planks and woodchops.

You also spend a lot of time with the paddle elevated in front of you. Both front raises and side laterals would help here.

KY

JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ya, even though you are not rowing like in a canoe, the same muscles would seem to be beneficial. I would definitely do some rows, and a pretty strong emphasis on shoulders. I know when i canoe or kayak my shoulders always seem to be the first to go from raising and holding the oars.

If you don't wanna get crazy into mass building or anything like that, it seems to me that cable rows would be fine as well at lat raises and maybe even some upright rows.

kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very good, thanks guys! Nice to see some fellow paddlers on the forum.

Yeah, I figured the rows would be a no brainer.
    I had core exercises in mind too.
    Didnt really think about shoulders though. But now that I think about it, my shoulders have always gotten a tremendous workout from paddling. Its probly just holding the paddle there in front of you for such a long period that does it.

I do incorporate planks and core work, as well as side lat raises and upright rows into my workout already. But I think i will take them up a notch.

Thanks

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    A basic strength program would be ideal, IMO. Have a look at this Starting Strength primer:

*kethnaab SS writeup http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JakeCanine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kllrbee View Post
    Very good, thanks guys! Nice to see some fellow paddlers on the forum.

Yeah, I figured the rows would be a no brainer.
    I had core exercises in mind too.
    Didnt really think about shoulders though. But now that I think about it, my shoulders have always gotten a tremendous workout from paddling. Its probly just holding the paddle there in front of you for such a long period that does it.

I do incorporate planks and core work, as well as side lat raises and upright rows into my workout already. But I think i will take them up a notch.

Thanks
    I'd probably do it a lot more if i had a kayak. I only have a canoe at the moment and all my canoeing buddies stopped coming home in the summers. Maybe i'll have to check in on that kayak thing.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    a friend I know loves kayaking and he swears by pullovers just incase he flips over (dont know why though lol)
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”