Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)

Pullup progression

Working with somebody who wants to be able to do pullups but can't. She's about 150lbs. Right now I have her doing negatives.

How do you guys get somebody from doing 0 pullups to at least 1 real full rom pullup? (or chinup of course)

Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BEhave View Post
    Working with somebody who wants to be able to do pullups but can't. She's about 150lbs. Right now I have her doing negatives.

How do you guys get somebody from doing 0 pullups to at least 1 real full rom pullup? (or chinup of course)
    Does your gym have one of those gravitron type machines? The assist pull up machine? those work good. Or you can have her do inverted rows and such.

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Nate R. View Post
    Does your gym have one of those gravitron type machines? The assist pull up machine? those work good. Or you can have her do inverted rows and such.
    I was thinking the same about inverted rows, but don't know how their carry over will be to pullups

Do the assist pullups machines actually work for pullup progression?

Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100) Scotlad is not very well liked. (-100)
    bands

Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BEhave View Post
    I was thinking the same about inverted rows, but don't know how their carry over will be to pullups

Do the assist pullups machines actually work for pullup progression?
    well think about it, its the same exact motion basically. Say you started with 80 pounds assisting, and each week or two try to take more pounds off. 70,60,50,40,30,20,10, PULLUP Or depending on how they progress could obviously take longer. Ive never actually tried it on someone but it makes sense to me. Just slowly progressing till you can do one without any assistance. Dont know why it wouldnt work!

Endorphin Addiction.... DBLBacn's Avatar
    DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000)
    The machines are alright, but negatives are better. also you can have her do pullups where she starts on the ground and jumps to get her momentum going. Working on training the biceps and back will definitely help quite a bit. Bent arm hangs may help as well. Have her start with her chin above the bar and then see how long she can hold it until her arms lock out. It's like a really really slow negative. You can also suggest she buys a pullup bar for her house, the one's that hang in the door frame. suggest she does 5 sets of negatives on it every morning while she's getting ready for school, work, whatever it is she does. then when she can do pullups have her change it to sets of pullups instead of negatives. In the weightroom, lat pulldowns and bicep curls are probably the two best exercises for getting the strength built up where it needs to be for pullups. Hope this helps. These have all worked for me. When i first joined the Marines I could do about 5 crappy ones, but using these methods I'm at over 30 with proper form now. Good luck and hope she gets above the bar soon!

skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10) skepsis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Scotlad View Post
    bands
    QFT.

This is the way to go. I think a set of 3 of these is ~$70, great for scaling up into doing unassisted pullups. Also good for people who can't do dips yet.

popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bands are tricky to get into if you want her to use them in her sessions when you're not there. I'd say inverted rows while constantly making the angles more challenging, moving her body closer to parallel to the ground, smith machine works well for this. Negatives are good too, 5 seconds negatives for reps, maybe last rep of the set aim for a 20-30 second negative. 3 position pause negatives are good too, jump up, hold the chin over bar position for 3-5 seconds, lower down 1/3 of the way, hold that position for 3-5 seconds, lower down another 1/3 of the way, then hold that position for 3-5 seconds. Weighted negatives can also help if she has a bunch of negatives but still can't get a few reps, or if she has 1-2 reps but wants more.

awesome guys thanks. too broke to buy bands. My other bands got stollen. I was doing negatives with her but i think i coached it wrong today. Im tell her to try and hold herself up and let gravity pull her down

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Manually assist her up and let her do negatives with no or less assistance.
    - Tony Paradis, MS, RD, LD, USAW, USAPL
    Director of Sports Nutrition & Professor- Tennessee Tech University
    "One day, or day one. You decide"

BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrooklynFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know what equipment you have available, but working on negatives, lat pulls, rows, bicep curls....pretty much anything that'll strengthen the muscle groups that are engaged in pull-ups will help.

Otherwise, working on the actual movement can't be beat. Manually assisting her, making sure she performs the eccentric phase slowly, and...well, be patient lol.

Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Khasus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try resistance bands to build up the muscle or even using a chair (safely) to assist in the pull up, once those muscles start to get used to it, a non-assisted pull up will come easier. I would make sure to convey the message of form as opposed to numbers, proper form will make the pull ups easier down the road and will get you those numbers.

Registered User dylanrichardson's Avatar
    dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dylanrichardson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    light a fire underneath and just watch how fast she'll pull herself up

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unless you get to work with her every day, most of the work she has to do to get there will be on her own. Tell her to get a pull up bar and just practice with that. If she can do 0, can she at least pull herself half of the way up? Or a quarter? This is something that can take daily (or multiple times a day) training.

Wishing you and her luck. Pull ups are so empowering for women.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow