mirin dem fat aesthetics? fat_narcissus's Avatar
    fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Intermittent Fasting for the severely overweight

Is it a good idea? (as in health wise)

I've yet to see an example of some one who's 30+lbs overweight try this.

Anybody here tried this, or have any tips/hints?

Warning: wall of text coming; if you just want to answer the question and not read the bs. no cliffs.

So far, its worked badass for me! For the last couple of months I've been losin' anywhere from 1/2 to 1lb a week, so I thought I'd try this intermittent fasting thing out just to see if it sped things up and if the benefits a lot of people have been talkin' about are true.

I've been doing it religiously since last wednesday, and i was 289. Weighed today, and I was down to 284! (not sure if you'd count that as four or five days, either way, still cool)

Haven't changed what I've been eatin', just moved my meals around to where I get them all in from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Havent really felt any difference as far as energy, hunger pangs, etc. Hasn't hindered my workouts at all, since I fit my workouts in between the 6 hour window when I eat.

here's an example of what I'd eat on a lifting day:

4 p.m: snack on some fruit; apple, orange, banana, something along this lines

4:30-5ish p.m: either 4 egg whites + 2 whole eggs with about 12oz of skim milk; or a protein shake with 1-2 scoops mixed with skim milk

6-7ish p.m: lift (usin' all pro's full body beginner routine for now)

7-8ish p.m: either another protein shake made like before, or 1-2 pieces of baked chicken/ grilled beef patties/steak, basically some kind of meat.

8ish-10 p.m: some kind of snack/meal, usually more meat if available, if nothing else some deli meat, basically enough to fill the 200-250 grams of protein I'm tryin' to get in.

non-lifting days (ab and cardio day) are basically the same, though maybe eaten at different times, still same time frame.

Ive heard that gettin' in some amino acids throughout the fastin' time is supposed to help, so I may start that as well.

Of course, I know that that kind of weight loss aint gonna be constant, but if I can keep it to 2-3lbs a week, and at least not lose any muscle, I'll be happy, lol.
    Sig line can't be a novel

glittersoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fat_narcissus View Post
    Is it a good idea? (as in health wise)

I've yet to see an example of some one who's 30+lbs overweight try this.

Anybody here tried this, or have any tips/hints?

Warning: wall of text coming; if you just want to answer the question and not read the bs. no cliffs.

So far, its worked badass for me! For the last couple of months I've been losin' anywhere from 1/2 to 1lb a week, so I thought I'd try this intermittent fasting thing out just to see if it sped things up and if the benefits a lot of people have been talkin' about are true.

I've been doing it religiously since last wednesday, and i was 289. Weighed today, and I was down to 284! (not sure if you'd count that as four or five days, either way, still cool)

Haven't changed what I've been eatin', just moved my meals around to where I get them all in from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Havent really felt any difference as far as energy, hunger pangs, etc. Hasn't hindered my workouts at all, since I fit my workouts in between the 6 hour window when I eat.

here's an example of what I'd eat on a lifting day:

4 p.m: snack on some fruit; apple, orange, banana, something along this lines

4:30-5ish p.m: either 4 egg whites + 2 whole eggs with about 12oz of skim milk; or a protein shake with 1-2 scoops mixed with skim milk

6-7ish p.m: lift (usin' all pro's full body beginner routine for now)

7-8ish p.m: either another protein shake made like before, or 1-2 pieces of baked chicken/ grilled beef patties/steak, basically some kind of meat.

8ish-10 p.m: some kind of snack/meal, usually more meat if available, if nothing else some deli meat, basically enough to fill the 200-250 grams of protein I'm tryin' to get in.

non-lifting days (ab and cardio day) are basically the same, though maybe eaten at different times, still same time frame.

Ive heard that gettin' in some amino acids throughout the fastin' time is supposed to help, so I may start that as well.

Of course, I know that that kind of weight loss aint gonna be constant, but if I can keep it to 2-3lbs a week, and at least not lose any muscle, I'll be happy, lol.
    I did this a few years ago @ 296 lbs and it worked great. More energy than ever and really super simple to do. I didn't know about leangains or even that it was called intermittent fasting. I was reading stuff by Ori Hofmekler and the warrior diet and 18 hour fasts. But I lost 92 lbs in a little bit over a year with it. I am restarting this way of doing things because I kinda fell off the wagon but I know I'll have fantastic results.

glittersoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And to add to that at the time I really wasn't working out at all other than the 4 miles a day I walked. Plus my job was really physically demanding. So this time I plan to incorporate way more exercise (cardio & strength training). I was doing really good with my workouts until I recently pulled a neck muscle and had to take like a week off from anything non-cardio. boo lol

I'm way glad you're seeing results with it, keep it up cause it's totally worth it.

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've toyed with it 2 days this past weekend and 1 day the previous weekend. All 3 days I lost weight the following morning weigh in. I was planning on doing it for a week, but my bf monitor was effing with me today and I thought I lost 4 lbs of lbm.

I like it, although I never did an 18 hour fast, only 16. So not really sure what to think about it.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

anonymous
    i don't know if what i do is considered IFing but i consume close to 70% of my daily calories in a 1-2 hour window on most days.

Thetree1918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thetree1918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was 400lbs 15 months ago
    at 320(about 8 months in) I started IF
    I used to work 3rd shift(5-2AM) so my day looked like this:
    Wake up at 8AM
    Workout at 10AM-noon
    Eat at noon(Shake+peanutbutter oatmeal)
    Eat at 4PM(usually chicken, cheese, and veggies)
    Eat at 8PM(usually a small meal)
    Macros:
    200 Potein
    150 carbs
    60 fat

I currently sit at 250 and dropping. but I stopping doing IF this month due to scheduling changes. I will get back into it when it solidifies again.
    Last edited by Thetree1918; 01-31-2011 at 10:32 PM.

mirin dem fat aesthetics? fat_narcissus's Avatar
    fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fat_narcissus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    cool, glad to hear other hefty guys have made good progress with the IF method.
    Sig line can't be a novel