mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any bodybuilders with Hashimoto's Disease?

I am wondering if there are any bodybuilders out there who have Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism. If so would like dietary and training advice. I have been prescribed a strict gluten, dairy and sugar free diet.
    Last edited by mishven; 01-28-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Get the inside right and the outside will follow.

MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MyAvatar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Strong milf presence

bkinhouston has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up I have Hashimotos

Yes, I have it but I'm not sure what it really means for me. I take synthroid to boost my thyroid, but other than that, the endocrinologist didn't give me any specific instructions. I'd appreciate further info from anyone!

bkinhouston has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hashimotos

Originally Posted by mishven View Post
    I am wondering if there are any bodybuilders out there who have Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism. If so would like dietary and training advice. I have been prescribed a strict gluten, dairy and sugar free diet.
    I didn't know about the gluten free and sugar free. What else did you find out?

RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've seen a few threads on this in the nutrition section. I would take a look through there.
    DAYUM!!!

"Be stronger than your vagina"

geoangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there! I too have Hashimoto's (diag. 4 yrs ago) and have been trying to drop some weight/eat better/etc. My dr. didn't restrict my diet though. I was actually wondering if any of you with Hashimoto's who are on synthroid, since you started working out, have found that you are constantly hungry?
    "Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat"

mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mishven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dietary Guidelines

Originally Posted by geoangel View Post
    Hey there! I too have Hashimoto's (diag. 4 yrs ago) and have been trying to drop some weight/eat better/etc. My dr. didn't restrict my diet though. I was actually wondering if any of you with Hashimoto's who are on synthroid, since you started working out, have found that you are constantly hungry?
    My doctor has advised me to eliminate gluten, dairy and all sugar from my diet. She refers to the book:
    "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal":
    A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
    By Datis Kharrazian

It explains in detail why most people with Hashimoto's have an intolerance to these foods. It's only week two for me on the new diet, but I do feel a lot better. My energy levels have definitely improved and I am bloating less and less. I too am on Synthroid and we are eventually going to try to swap over to Armour. She also advised me to take Vitamin D and antioxidants in the form of eating goji berries. i am still navigating my way through the book, so there are more recommendations I am sure.

In reference to your question of feeling hunger all the time, I too have had this symptom, however, I am now also eating much less carbs and making sure I eat good fats.

Have a look at this book:

Originally Posted by bkinhouston View Post
    I didn't know about the gluten free and sugar free. What else did you find out?
    My doctor has advised me to eliminate gluten, dairy and all sugar from my diet. She refers to the book:
    A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
    By Datis Kharrazian

You can get the Kindle version for your computer on Amazon for $7 or $8. It's worth a read, you will be amazed by the impact that nutrition has on your Hashimoto's.

Thanks

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
    I've seen a few threads on this in the nutrition section. I would take a look through there.
    Thanks so much for the advice.

Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have hashimotos and don't eat gluten or dairy generally. I have been trying dairy again this week but think it's going to have to go again I'm bloated all the time and it's agravated my psoriasis
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

Read the book

Originally Posted by Hannah73Louise View Post
    I have hashimotos and don't eat gluten or dairy generally. I have been trying dairy again this week but think it's going to have to go again I'm bloated all the time and it's agravated my psoriasis
    I recommend you have a read of the book I have mentioned above. That's really interesting that you also have psoriasis, which is another autoimmune symptom. The bloating is most definitely due to an intolerance to gluten and dairy and when you read the book you will understand why.

Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just ordered it - thanks!
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mom47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mishven View Post
    By Datis Kharrazian

It explains in detail why most people with Hashimoto's have an intolerance to these foods. It's only week two for me on the new diet, but I do feel a lot better. My energy levels have definitely improved and I am bloating less and less. I too am on Synthroid and we are eventually going to try to swap over to Armour. She also advised me to take Vitamin D and antioxidants in the form of eating goji berries. i am still navigating my way through the book, so there are more recommendations I am sure.

In reference to your question of feeling hunger all the time, I too have had this symptom, however, I am now also eating much less carbs and making sure I eat good fats.
    Thanks for the tip - I too have Hashimoto's - over 20+ years....can't shed a pound but can gain fast. I have never heard the relationship to food! What is Armour? I'm on Synthroid .75 mg I have been taking Vitamin D but really interested in hearing more about this...I will look up the book....thanks for posting!
    Life is good....smile and the world smiles with you. Smiles are like sunshine :)

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have Hasimoto's. Was diagnosed 2006 while still asymptomatic. I've had psoriasis and IBS for almost 30 years. Dairy was a big player in my IBS but I wouldn't give up my milk and yogurt until it got too bad to ignore. Which was in 2004. In 2005 I developed a complete intolerance to corn and sulfites after a colonoscopy prep. The resulting diet pretty much took out gluten. Most wheat products are cross contaminated with corn.

My thyroid is in complete control and stable. My diet and training is no different than a "normal" person. I even consume homemade soy milk and peaches

I can tell you that my corn reaction is similar to hypo symptoms, fatigue, muscle aches, joint aches, and depression. They are pretty common food/chemical intolerance reactions.

leahmonique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Hashimotos

Originally Posted by geoangel View Post
    I have Hashimoto's/Low Thyroid and I find that sugar and carbs (rice, bread, pasta, cereal, waffles, chips, fries, etc.) are the enemy. Currently I am eating high protein, moderate fat, and very low carb (carb intake only from vegetables). I think that my appetite has decreased in comparison to what it was before I started eating this way.

For myself, the more I ate starchy carbs, the more I craved and the hungrier I got, quicker.
    I've also started taking Garcinia Cambogia and that too, I think has played a big part in the reduction on my cravings.

Arnold Amateur finalist Bronwyn's Avatar
    Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bronwyn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have Euthyreotic sick syndrome, was diagnosed with Hashimoto, but than re-diagnosed to ESS and I am hypothyreotic too. My thyroid is a mess.

I think as far as you are treated by doctor and pills than keto and low carb diets works nicely for people with thyroid problems. The main reason is, that active hormone T3 is in fact major in carb metabolism. That is why at low carb diets T3 is lowering down not as damage, but as adaptation. When carbs are back T3 at healthy people goes back up... not us.... The only thing is that caloric intake have to be good, otherwise you shut down your thyroid even more....

I used to do carb cycling and was never ready, than I tried low carb but also low fat diets, but that shut down my thyroid due to low Kcal and no spikes... now I am on keto (where fat is the energy source) with carb ups (in fact refeeds, the main reason is to spike Kcal to keep thyroid active) and I feel that is working great. I did some research about this and found out it is the best thyroid problems compatible diet....due to physiology of metabolism.

Also you need to know if you are really low in T3 or T4... as hypo people may have low T4 but their T3 is in normal and than that means in fact no or very low affection of metabolism and more important is drinking regime as hypo people tend to hold water retention more.... also many Doc. prescribe only synthetic T4, but again - depends on where your problem is, if in synthesis, than combination of T4 and T3 is better working (but this is upon consultation with Doc. off course).

I am treated from my 10 years. I compete 18 years, last 8 years world class level, so yes, with good backup anything is possible.

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I was diagnosed with post partum thyroiditis after birth of second son in 2000. This is very similiar to Hashimoto's in how it presents. I went in for the Radioactive Iodine Uptake in 2001 and have been hypothroid ever since. I am currently on synthroid meds and my levels are testing normal but I am still symptomatic. I know for fact that if I eat too many carbs my weight goes up
    I cut sugar and white flour out of my diet about five years ago
    and the only dairy I have is a bit of cream in my coffee and some yogurt

candiv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Hope!

Thank you all, I was diagnosed with Hastimotos in Thursday and had planned to compete in May 2015. Now at least I see it is possible!

Registered User monsterteaparty's Avatar
    monsterteaparty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Still no answer to the original question?

To return to the original question, is anyone familiar with bodybuilding products that are compatible with Hashimoto's?

There seems to be some confusion among users in this thread about the difference between Hashimoto's and thyroid conditions (hypo or hyper).

Quick lesson on thyroid hormones: your thyroid gland produces 'free T4' and in turn, converts it into 'T3'. The thyroid requires a balance of these two hormones to function properly.

Hashimoto's is an auto-immune disease that attacks the thyroid gland. Food sensitivities, among other things, weaken the immune system causing it to perceive the thyroid as the 'invader'. The immune system reacts by attacking and permanently damaging the thyroid gland. Hence the 'auto' part of auto-immune disease (self-attacking). Most people with Hashimoto's are born with it and go most of their lives not knowing about it, or experiencing intense symptoms that would warrant a trip to the doctor. It is only when the the disease has attacked the thyroid so much, causing permanent irreversible damage, that you begin to experience symptoms. This is why its extremely important to find out if the cause of your thyroid imbalance is from this disease or the thyroid gland itself.

Many people with Hashimoto's complain of fluctuating symptoms going from hyper to hypo on a seemingly day to day basis. This is due to the fact that you may be triggering your immune system more one day than the next. This is why it is so difficult to medicate for Hashimoto's, as medication provides a stable consistent dose of hormones that may be too much or too little for your body on any given day. Synthroid is the most common synthetic prescribed by physicians, however, many consider prescribing Armour (a natural derived supplement made of desiccated pig thyroid glands) as an alternative. Armour is a better option for those with Hashimoto's as there is more variability in each dose. Clearly dosing Hashimoto's is a difficult task and that is why most physicians (if they anything about the disease, that is) recommend cutting inflammatory foods from the diet.

This is what I have done and I've noticed a DRAMATIC difference both in terms of my symptoms and weight loss/muscle definition. In my case, my blood tests show that while I am low in T4, my T3 conversion is extremely productive. This was very confusing to my doctor & naturopath, as intensive exercise regimes are not usually recommended for Hashimoto's, but they determined that my exercise regime (45+ mins of cardio, 1 hr - 1.5hrs of weights x 5 days a week) enhances my hormone conversion from T4 into T3.

A thyroid condition, on the other hand, is when the thyroid gland itself is defective. This simply means that for whatever reason (pregnancy, hereditary, chemical exposure), your thyroid gland is not producing enough T4 hormones on its own. This can be supplemented with medications, and in some cases, can heal itself and return to normal. Many people with Hashimoto's are erroneously diagnosed with a thyroid condition, simply due to the fact that their doctor refuses to run a full panel blood test on the thyroid (all they have to do is check another box....).

Knowing that bodybuilding supplements can mess around with your metabolism, I am naturally hesitant to try them willy-nilly. Has anyone, with a solid understanding of Hashimoto's, had any success (i.e. unaffected hormones) with supplements such as energizers or fat burners?

Thanks!

Ashymunch54 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hashimotos and bodybuilding

Hey guys it’s like 5 years late but in case it helps anyone, obvious things to exclude would be the protein powders if you have intolerances, I personally use vegan alternatives but adjust to your own preference as some have issues with these too.

Fat burners can cause issues especially if taking meds with stimulation from T3 hormone as this can already cause heart racing ect also caffeine based shops can cause issues as some people also react to that.

General supplementation can be very helpful, I personally thrive with a B complex, a personalised fish oil capsule, magnesium, gut aids and various prescribed multi vita

Ideally get your doc or naturopath to check your bloods for deficiencies and learn your levels for balance.

I have Hashimotos but I’m no expert, this all comes from personal experience and 12 years of experimentation and testing x

Registered User BlairThielemier's Avatar
    BlairThielemier is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes once you balance your hormones.

Thyroid pill can only mask the TSH for sometime but doesn't do anything to heal the root cause of the problem which is not in your thyroid BTW. Thyroid disease is completely reversible in my experience. I have reversed not only my own thyroid disease but have helped hundreds of women heal their hormone Imbalances and achieve healty natural pregnancies. It's frustrating to see that so many women are suffering and not getting the right information.

going4it1013 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Any Hypothyroid Help Appreciated

Originally Posted by BlairThielemier View Post
    Yes once you balance your hormones.

Thyroid pill can only mask the TSH for sometime but doesn't do anything to heal the root cause of the problem which is not in your thyroid BTW. Thyroid disease is completely reversible in my experience. I have reversed not only my own thyroid disease but have helped hundreds of women heal their hormone Imbalances and achieve healty natural pregnancies. It's frustrating to see that so many women are suffering and not getting the right information.
    I am so happy to find someone familiar with thyroid symptoms and effective treatments. I have Hashimoto’s with elevated antibodies and have been on Synthroid for the past 16 years. After refusing to believe in chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, as I think all of this is caused by my thyroid ( in my specific case) began researching thyroid treatments. I’ve been found a lot of promising information, but am yet to find a doctor who will listen. I’ve got another appointment with a new doctor in July. I’ve recently been switched to Armor and got my own labs done because no one would order them. My TSH is surprised, though my Free T3 and Free T4 are barely within range. Not sure what that means? Both antibodies are elevated. I’m going to try to get on Low Does Naltrexone in hopes of lowering my antibodies. I’ve also used Saxenda to help with Leptin and am supplementing for Thyroid support, Cortisol and Adrenal Fatigue. I was lifting weights and doing cardio 5 times a week. Then, read that too much exercise could make matters worse, so backed off. Also, tried Keto with intermittent fasting, then read that this could be bad for Hashimoto’s. What have you tried and/or recommended that has worked? I would like to get more into weight lifting/body building. I truly feel the only limits on my body are the ones I set, and I believe there is a way for me to be relieved of my hypothyroid symptoms AND be able to get into bodybuilding. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

SandraO42 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Diet and Hashimotos

Originally Posted by going4it1013 View Post
    I am so happy to find someone familiar with thyroid symptoms and effective treatments. I have Hashimoto’s with elevated antibodies and have been on Synthroid for the past 16 years. After refusing to believe in chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, as I think all of this is caused by my thyroid ( in my specific case) began researching thyroid treatments. I’ve been found a lot of promising information, but am yet to find a doctor who will listen. I’ve got another appointment with a new doctor in July. I’ve recently been switched to Armor and got my own labs done because no one would order them. My TSH is surprised, though my Free T3 and Free T4 are barely within range. Not sure what that means? Both antibodies are elevated. I’m going to try to get on Low Does Naltrexone in hopes of lowering my antibodies. I’ve also used Saxenda to help with Leptin and am supplementing for Thyroid support, Cortisol and Adrenal Fatigue. I was lifting weights and doing cardio 5 times a week. Then, read that too much exercise could make matters worse, so backed off. Also, tried Keto with intermittent fasting, then read that this could be bad for Hashimoto’s. What have you tried and/or recommended that has worked? I would like to get more into weight lifting/body building. I truly feel the only limits on my body are the ones I set, and I believe there is a way for me to be relieved of my hypothyroid symptoms AND be able to get into bodybuilding. I appreciate any advice you can offer.
    I have had Hashimotos for over 30 years, and didn't know how to handle it until the past 4+ years. The main things I have found to deal with the antibodies and level out my T3/T4 is to remove gluten and SOY from my diet. I also follow a modified keto diet. Gluten and soy cause major inflammation (for months) and all the typical symptoms of Hashimotos (joint pain, swelling, brain fog, depression, anxiety, weight gain etc). Once I removed gluten and soy from my diet, my antibodies went down (from over 300 at the start to 50 the last blood test a month ago).
    I did my first bb show over 4 years ago at 48 yrs old. Planning on the second show this year! I will share what I find works for me this round.

wunderyogahike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Sandra,

How are you? Im interested in knowing how you maintain your energy.

I am a very energetic woman however since the Hashi has decided to visit me and wake me up to life, energy has been a bit low. Walking and yoga are my best friends at the moment.
    How did you get your antibodies down? Doctors say they do not change however i beg to differ.
    Please advise as I have just received this news yesterday.

FutureElite123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hashimotos and muscle building

Hey, I have hashimotos myself. I only struggle with fat management, even with 125mg of thyroxine. Muscle building is easy with my genes, most of my family heritage is soldiers, farmers and runners. I hold and keep muscle easy. Currently 93kgs.. 11kg is bone, roughly 22 kgs is fat and rest is water weight or lean muscle.
    Just started my bulking/cutting season yesterday. I have given UP milk products, still working on giving up gluten. I've switched out milk for plant based almond milk, macadamia milk, oat milk. (Can't have soy) kept some soft cheeses in diet and yogurt.

With fish being polluted with microplastics I've completely cut them out.. as it could cause cancer down the line, also cut out pork.

Mostly try to eat kangaroo, chicken and some ground mince.