ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Better late than NEVER - Please offer any advice

Hey Everyone....

This year I decided that I am way too young to feel as old as I felt. So I began losing weight and now I am working out 5 times per week with a trainer. I am so freakin' enjoying myself and am really beginning to see some of the fruits of my labor. So I would like to tell y'all about my journey and what I am doing to take control of my health.

About the third week of November, 2010 I began to be really conscious about the food I ate. Then in December I began taking a metabolizer product called Lean EFX. This product worked great for me. It is the only weight loss supplement I have ever taken that has worked. When I took the others....Hydroxycut, Xenadrine, Lipo6 and a few others over the years the only thing that lost weight was my wallet. Anyway, I took the Lean EFX for 45 days as directed and cycled off for 30 days. I just started again about 1.5 weeks ago.

Nutrition....
    I currently only eat solid food twice per day. Usually at lunch time and then again around 5 pm before my evening workout at 7:30ish. For breakfast I usually have a protein shake, always just one scoop of whey isolate, and another protein shake mid morning. After lunch I usually have another protein shake and then again about 1 hour prior to workout. I also have a protein shake (MHP Probolic - SR 12 Hour Release w/Casein) immediately following my evening workout. All the shakes combined are approximately 150 grams plus whatever I may consume at lunch and dinner. I guess I am getting about 175 grams per day on average. My solid meals usually consist of a grilled chicken breast with broccoli and/or sweet potato or a grilled chicken salad with a vinegarette dressing on the side. The evening is either chicken again or tilapia with veggies. Now I do stray from this on occassion with a SubWay turkey sub or something else that is healthy and nutritionally beneficial. I have totally taken salt, sugar and cola out of the equation. I am only drinking water and usually drink at least 1 gallon per day and sometimes up to 2 gallons depending on my hydration needs. I really try to space all these meals/snacks every three hours. I do add some fruits such as bananas and grapefruit at least once per day. My total caloric intake is 1500 to 1800 calories per day.

Supplements.....
    I began taking Cellucor P6 about 1 week ago (experiencing dry mouth as a side effect but so far nothing else). It seems to be working very well. I can already tell that my strength is improving.
    1 dosage of Lean EFX in the morning
    Amino Acid 12 hour time released....3 in the morning and 3 in the evening and sometimes 3 additional if the workout was pretty heavy and hard that day.
    1 package of Shakeology by BeachBody.com....gives me all the vitamins.
    SuperPump 250 1 scoop sometimes 2 about 30 minutes prior to workout

I would like to stack the Cellucor P6 with a GH/IGF-1 releaser but all the ones I have researched seem to be just BCAAs. The advertising hype makes it so hard and confusing to know if these supplements actually work. Any suggestions??? Please understand I am not looking for a magic pill. However, I would be open to taking something else to help me capitalize on my efforts, as long as it is safe and not a steroid. The trainer I am working with has suggested Super Pump Max and Gaspari SizeOn PreContest to build and hydrate muscle without the water retention.

Training:
    Working out 5 days per week....Monday thru Friday. I warm up with 5 to 10 minutes of cardio. Then I perform 2 power moves (1 set each of 15 reps) with a heavier weight and then I do a circuit of usually 5 to 6 moves. Then after completing 1 set on each move I repeat for the second and then third set of circuit training. The sets are 15, 12, and 10 with increasing weight each set. Then I repeat the whole circuit again with about 1/2 the weight but higher reps to failure. Cardio at the end and try to get at least 30 minutes total between the pre-workout and post-workout session. Usually about three times per week I do approximately 60 minutes of cardio in the morning before work.

So that is basically it. I am 46 years old and have never been in great shape. I thought it is now or never. I was sick and tired of living the way I was living. I am now eating cleanly and nutritionally and really enjoying it. I do not miss sweets, salt or cola. It really has been alot easier than I expected. I began to have issues with high cholesterol and was prescribed a statin drug. I refuse to take any drugs for it. I would rather try and reduce the cholesterol through nutrition and supplementation such as Omega-3 fish oil.

When I began this journey in November of 2010 I weighed 265 lbs. Today I am 230 lbs. Then I struggled to get my belt to the second hole and only if I sucked my belly button to my spine. This morning I was able to get it to the 5th hole and all without the need to suck in my gut. That was pretty cool to me!

I am most definitely encouraged at the progress I am making. I realize that my transformation is not going to happen overnight after 46 years of neglect. So I take it one day at a time and live for the moment I am in. I tell myself every morning....today I can do this. I don't think about tomorrow. I just focus on what I can do today to reach my goal. My goal is to lean down to 180 but would not mind to be heavier IF it is all muscle and not fat. I still am at about 30% body mass but that is down from 35%. My ideal would be around 10-12%.

So if any of you have any words of wisdom....please share. I welcome any and all constructive comments.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

ImDoinItNow,
    JOHN
    Last edited by ImDoinItNow; 02-07-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Welcome. Why not start a training journal and post your workouts.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Endorphin Addiction.... DBLBacn's Avatar
    DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000) DBLBacn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ImDoinItNow View Post
    Hey Everyone....

I am most definitely encouraged at the progress I am making. I realize that my transformation is not going to happen overnight after 46 years of neglect. So I take it one day at a time and live for the moment I am in. I tell myself every morning....today I can do this. I don't think about tomorrow. I just focus on what I can do today to reach my goal. My goal is to lean down to 180 but would not mind to be heavier IF it is all muscle and not fat. I still am at about 30% body mass but that is down from 35%. My ideal would be around 10-12%.

JOHN

You've already got the hardest part down if you're motivated and seeing progress. Too many people start to lose that motivation and try to do to much to quickly making them taper out and give up. I'm glad to see you making the positive changes in your life that are getting you to where you want to be. I would recommend making some actual specific goals, both short and long term and setting dates on them. The tools on bodyspace are really good for doing that and help you track your progress. You may even see some faster results that way because if you're like me, being able to physically see your progress measured out and the charts and stuff they have on bodyspace really helps. Keep working hard and focusing on it every day. You have a solid plan and know where you're going, all that's left to do is keep it up and get there. Be proud of yourself for the accomplishments you have made so far and the fact that you are one of the few who decided to get up and live a healthier life. Keep the motivation level up and make sure to let us know how you progress through the whole thing, and remember that the community on here is always available when you have a question or need an extra kick in the a** to get moving on some days, we all have them so this is a great place to look for extra motivation. Congratulations on your accomplishments so far and good luck with your future progress!

ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImDoinItNow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for the encouragement. The success that I have experienced so far is keeping me motivated. My determination to build a healthy body is rock solid. It certainly helps to be trained by someone that has knowledge and experience and knows how to motivate me to keep pushing forward. Every day I can see and feel progress. It is all so exciting!!

I am concerned about my caloric intake. Since I am training so hard now I am not sure if I am consuming enough nourishment to support my dramatically increased activity. The amount of calories I have been taking in has worked so far to help with the weight loss and get me to where I am now. However, I don't want to sacrifice what I have gained in strength and muscle while on this journey of transformation. Please share any suggestions.....

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am concerned about my caloric intake. Since I am training so hard now I am not sure if I am consuming enough nourishment to support my dramatically increased activity. The amount of calories I have been taking in has worked so far to help with the weight loss and get me to where I am now. However, I don't want to sacrifice what I have gained in strength and muscle while on this journey of transformation. Please share any suggestions.....
    you should be concerned, because you aren't eating anywhere near enough for what your goals seems to be. For a guy your size, 1500-1800 calories is the surest way to throw your body into starvation mode. I realize that you've lost 35 pounds to this point, and you have my most heartflet congratulations on that. It's never easy, no matter what you may be doing. However, you're going to start hitting a wall soon if you don't start eating better.

Also, IMO, you seem to be WAY too dependent on supplements for your basic nutrition. They're meant to supplement, not replace, solid food.

everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    Also, IMO, you seem to be WAY too dependent on supplements for your basic nutrition. They're meant to supplement, not replace, solid food.
    Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post.

I'd eat a solid breakfast, lunch and dinner, and use protein shakes as supplements to get your protein at or above 1g/lb lean body mass. I cook my own breakfast, eat leftovers for lunch and eat dinner at home, so what my wife cooks tends to determine how many shakes (if any) I need.

As far as calories, track them as best you can for a week along with your weight. If you are losing too much or feel like crap, add some calories. If your body does hit starvation mode or a plateau, adding calories to rev up the engine (along with carefully planned cheat meals) will actually do more to help you lose than lowering calories.

Good luck! You have the motivation. Now just fine-tune the variables and you will succeed!

philip
    I LIFT THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cpojkILO0

Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    you should be concerned, because you aren't eating anywhere near enough for what your goals seems to be. For a guy your size, 1500-1800 calories is the surest way to throw your body into starvation mode. I realize that you've lost 35 pounds to this point, and you have my most heartflet congratulations on that. It's never easy, no matter what you may be doing. However, you're going to start hitting a wall soon if you don't start eating better.

I agree with your comment on being too calorie deficient which is why I posted my concern in that regard. That amount of calories worked for me to get started but I have found that since I have been weight training my appetite has increased. For my age and current weight my BMR is about 2500. Yesterday, after keeping a daily food diary, I realized that my actual intake was 2111.

About the supplements.....I am not relying on them as a replacement but rather to augment my current nutrition. The Shakeology drink is actually a very nutritionist meal replacement shake. The other protein is for in between snacks and post workout. The only other supps I am taking are the fat metabolizer and the test booster. So is there something I am not understanding there?

Originally Posted by everphilski View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking as I read your post.

I'd eat a solid breakfast, lunch and dinner, and use protein shakes as supplements to get your protein at or above 1g/lb lean body mass. I cook my own breakfast, eat leftovers for lunch and eat dinner at home, so what my wife cooks tends to determine how many shakes (if any) I need.

As far as calories, track them as best you can for a week along with your weight. If you are losing too much or feel like crap, add some calories. If your body does hit starvation mode or a plateau, adding calories to rev up the engine (along with carefully planned cheat meals) will actually do more to help you lose than lowering calories.

Good luck! You have the motivation. Now just fine-tune the variables and you will succeed!

philip
    Thank you for your comments as well. There is still much for me to learn and work on concerning diet and nutrition. Actually, though, I feel great! There are times when I feel a little slump in my energy so I usually eat a banana or something for a boost. As I continue to train, my body wants more fuel and I am trying to listen to it and respond accordingly. Anyone have suggestions on what the caloric intake should be?

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with your comment on being too calorie deficient which is why I posted my concern in that regard. That amount of calories worked for me to get started but I have found that since I have been weight training my appetite has increased. For my age and current weight my BMR is about 2500. Yesterday, after keeping a daily food diary, I realized that my actual intake was 2111.
    keep in mind that your goal is to keep your metabolism pumping. Here's what you want to do, and it's a little rough as far as the description but I think you'll get it-

determine the amount of maintanance calories for the weight you are attempting to achieve. Next, determine the amount of calories you are burning in training and add those two together. That will give you your basic target (and shock the hell out of you when you see how high that number is)

About the supplements.....I am not relying on them as a replacement but rather to augment my current nutrition. The Shakeology drink is actually a very nutritionist meal replacement shake. The other protein is for in between snacks and post workout. The only other supps I am taking are the fat metabolizer and the test booster. So is there something I am not understanding there?
    my bad. Just seemed to be that way to me from the description you gave of them.

Carry on, sounds like you've got a game plan that's working for you, and that's what's ultimately important.

M5 Reloaded + P6 Black =∞ MikeCellucor's Avatar
    MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MikeCellucor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ill make sure I stay posted. Anytime you need tips just let me know.

I also would say that P6 extreme is probably not causing the dry mouth, unless you are dehydrated. It could be the LEAN EFX as the stimulant profile is the exact match that gets me very dried out.
    Last edited by MikeCellucor; 02-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    No Longer with Cellucor....do not contact directly for assistance, please see Official Rep Thread for assistance or contact Cellucor directly at Cellucor.com

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Biggest thing I'd say is to keep it simple and be patient. I keep reading things and wanting to try new stuff. Last year I did 3 different programs and only gave one of them long enough to work as intended (P90x). Keep it simple: simple workout program, eat lots and reasonably well, and sleep. Many veteran builders kept telling me this advice and it took a year for it to finally hit me upside the head and sink in. Low and behold, I'm actually making some decent progress.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555