cxrock16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

chest wont grow!

ive been browsing through the threads and none of them seemed to help.. ive been going to the gym for almost 3 years and it just wont seem to get any bigger.. i always drink protein post workout and ive also tried, creatine,l-arganine,N.O, and recently dimethadrol. i tried going every other day then cut back to 3 times a week when i heard overworking them is actually more harm.. the exercises i do is ill do the cable flys 3 sets of 5-6 as heavy as i can then bench 3 sets of 5-6 and ill switch between dips and flys with the same amount of reps.. any suggestions?

steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is everything else growing--arms, shoulders, back, legs, etc., but not your chest? If nothing else is growing, you probably aren't eating enough and getting sufficient calories. On the other hand, if everything but your chest is growing, what does your split/exercise routine look like? How often are you working chest?

ya im getting bigger everywhere else my arms, back and shoulders had significant gains. i try to eat as much as possible atleast 4 meals a day when i work and try to eat more on days off. do you think upping my protein shake intake would make a big difference?

and work my chest about 3 times a week with atleast a days rest inbetween

steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steven1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by cxrock16 View Post

That's way too much chest work. I only focus on the chest once per week. You might could get away with working it twice a week (which I wouldn't recommend), but 3 times is definitely too much. Also, try to eat at least 5 meals per day--on the days you train as well as on the days you don't. Each day, you should be consuming at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of your bodyweight and probably at least 500 calories over what you need to maintain your current weight.

Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonnerjs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would suggest working your chest only twice per week with different exercises than you've been doing... More protein isn't going to magically go to your chest... your lack of chest growth also likely has to do with your form... if when performing those exercises you naturally put more strain on other muscles, say the shoulders in bench press, then the chest wont grow like you want... really try focusing on keeping your shoulder blades back and getting a good stretch and contraction in your chest... you'll have to go lower weight but isn't that worth it to get a bigger chest?... hope that helps
    "If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worth while, it can be done"
    -Vince Lombardi

www.IntenseTrainingGear.com

thanks for the advice guys i guess i just felt like anything less then 4 times a week wasnt enough.. ill try doing more dumbell ass appose to bench and when i do bench ill do lower weight so i can isolate the chest better

BBCing with a 365 Tan LBJackson4's Avatar
    LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by steven1977 View Post
    That's way too much chest work. I only focus on the chest once per week. You might could get away with working it twice a week (which I wouldn't recommend), but 3 times is definitely too much. Also, try to eat at least 5 meals per day--on the days you train as well as on the days you don't. Each day, you should be consuming at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of your bodyweight and probably at least 500 calories over what you need to maintain your current weight.
    I would agree with once a week myself. I workout chest once a week myself.

Originally Posted by Bonnerjs View Post
    I would suggest working your chest only twice per week with different exercises than you've been doing... More protein isn't going to magically go to your chest... your lack of chest growth also likely has to do with your form... if when performing those exercises you naturally put more strain on other muscles, say the shoulders in bench press, then the chest wont grow like you want... really try focusing on keeping your shoulder blades back and getting a good stretch and contraction in your chest... you'll have to go lower weight but isn't that worth it to get a bigger chest?... hope that helps
    Working it out twice a week isn't too bad either, as long as the days are as far apart as possible (like the beginning of the week and the end of the week). Do you have pics? It would be easier for us to help if we could see where you're lacking. I'm not a big fan of barbell flat benching due to my height, 7 foot wingspan and the longer range of motion, but I would definitely suggest benching with dumbbells. It isolates the chest a lot more, especially if you squeeze at the top. Incline bench presses are the way to go. Good luck buddy and don't be discouraged or frustrated. My chest has been my weak point as well, but inclines has developed it a little better. This is what this site is all about....people willing to offer advice if it's worked for them.
    New York Football Giants, New York Knicks, New York Yankees, and if I followed hockey, it would be the New York Rangers.....bet you can't guess where i'm from

BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    dont round your shoulders, you do this by keeping your shoulder blades squeezed together for the entire set...proper form is what your missing out on, also dont workout your chest more than once or twice a week

cliffs: Pick one day a week for chest

Dont round your shoulders

squeeze shoulder blades together while doing pressing motions

/Users/cxrock16/Desktop/IMG_1190.JPG

pic
    Attached Images

Super Saiyan Genetics genetics 83's Avatar
    genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    way too much brah. I would only train chest max 2x per week with 3 days rest between. I would also do 2 presses maybe 3 and then do cable flyes at the end of my workout 3 sets til failure.
    ██ █ ★ █ ██ CVC ██ █ ★ █ ██
    US Army '04-07 OIF III
    Saiyan Crew
    F-Body Crew
    Texas Crew
    Over 30 crew

dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) dallascowboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm focusing on strength vs size as of right now working chest twice a week and have a 41" chest and can bench 300lbs...IMO I think my body is not proportioned to my strength. If you want a big chest, work it out once a week intensely.

BBCing with a 365 Tan LBJackson4's Avatar
    LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by genetics83 View Post
    way too much brah. I would only train chest max 2x per week with 3 days rest between. I would also do 2 presses maybe 3 and then do cable flyes at the end of my workout 3 sets til failure.
    this
    New York Football Giants, New York Knicks, New York Yankees, and if I followed hockey, it would be the New York Rangers.....bet you can't guess where i'm from

Cyberbuild has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    maybe you overwork your chest work chest 1 times a week

jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jetlynk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Like most of the people on here are saying. Do your chest no more then 2 times a week if you wanna get your pecs bigger. Any more then that and your just working an endurance part of it, working your muscles to be able to do weight receptively but not large amounts of weight all at once, which is what you need to make them bigger. The same goes for your cable fly's not that I'm saying don't do them but don't focus on them, your bench is whats going to build up those pecs, cable flys help work the other parts of the chest that might get missed from pushing heavy weight on the bench. But this also helps you build on your weight on the bench.

I don't want a big chest myself, my goal is on building push up endurance so I use push up exercises twice a week with a heavy lifting workout at the end of the week, which will in time allow me to do things like rock climbing and other things with my own body weight with ease. But chances are I'll never be able to bench 300lbs this way.

If I were to build up my chest strength and in turn build up my pecs, I would focus my energy on flat/incline/decline bench press with dumbbell flys as a finisher doing this 1 to 2 times a week. A few years ago I built myself up pretty fast working out this way going from lifting 100lbs to 270 lbs in 5 months. Also you have to remember to focus alot on the shoulders and triceps, as your chest can't really grow without building on them as well.
    You may delay, but time will not.
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.
    Don’t wait for moods. You accomplish nothing if you do that. Your mind must know it has got to get down to work.
    Yesterday is a cancelled cheque. Tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is the only cash you have, so spend it wisely.
    If you do give up though just think. The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GavinBlack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ya im getting bigger everywhere else my arms, back and shoulders had significant gains. i try to eat as much as possible atleast 4 meals a day when i work and try to eat more on days off. do you think upping my protein shake intake would make a big difference?
    This could be an indication that you are not performing your chest work out with correct form.
    If everything else is growing then it isn't your diet.

The other guys are right, you are training your chest too much too. Google Mike Mentzer's theory on bodybuilding. It breaks the norm and does work for some.

ok ill give it a try thanks to everyone who responded!

HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000)
    ok ill give it a try thanks to everyone who responded!
    I wonder why more people don't talk about the proper use of heavy dumbbell flies when it comes to building a great chest. Arnold had one of the best chests of all time, so watch how he does flies and crossovers. There is not much bend at the elbow. His arms are almost straight, with a slight bend at the elbow. I see way too many people doing flies that are basically glorified presses.

Also, try doing these types of flies to pre-exhaust BEFORE presses, and try implementing decline bench more, and incline bench with a focus of bringing the bar towards the neck region.

pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    then this is your problem
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Knicks - NY Yankees

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction"

SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10) SomaliTerorist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ive been browsing through the threads and none of them seemed to help.. ive been going to the gym for almost 3 years and it just wont seem to get any bigger.. i always drink protein post workout and ive also tried, creatine,l-arganine,N.O, and recently dimethadrol. i tried going every other day then cut back to 3 times a week when i heard overworking them is actually more harm.. the exercises i do is ill do the cable flys 3 sets of 5-6 as heavy as i can then bench 3 sets of 5-6 and ill switch between dips and flys with the same amount of reps.. any suggestions?
    so you been gymming for 3 years and taking every supplement available and your still 145 lbs ?? thats your problem brah

eat like a BOSS you need lots of protien carbs and healthy fats.. train like a BEAST and fuk like a PORNSTAR bout 3 times a week

if that dont work .. take STEROIDS..

if that dont work .. then just GIVE UP man but UNTIL THEN . do as i told you brah

goodluck

steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) steven48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    damn dude waste of 3 years...your overworking like crazy. I do chest 1-2 times a week AT THE MOST. Your workout shouldn't exceed 2 hrs (thats pushing it). Have you tried doing dif rep/set schemes? Do you start out with dif chest exercises everytime? I suggest you take a weight gainer, theres tons out there. My personal favorites: heavyweight 900, serious mass. Take morning, midday, before sleep. If that don't work I suggest steroids like the guy earlier or pick up a new hobby.
    "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." unknown

Good supplements: dark matter, universal animal m-stak, mesomorph, serious mass

Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rott3nThoughtz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Try doing reps of 8-12 on weights you can actually work with without ruining form. And try working out on your chest once a week.. Rest period is an important part in muscle growth.
    Last edited by Rott3nThoughtz; 01-26-2011 at 05:22 PM.

WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WarTurtle2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

here's the secret...everytime you are done bench pressing...stand up tall... flex your chest...and yell..

chest ARISE..... and before you know it...your chest will grow

but make sure you bench first...otherwise saying it wont work
    "I drink weight gainer shakes for fun"

"favorite exercise-concentration curls with Double Quarter Pounder's with cheese"

1RM=40lbs

Bench Press: 40lbs
    Squat:20lbs
    Deadlift:70lbs
    OHP:13lbs

Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shelmo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've always wanted to give different muscles groups at least 4-5 days rest so i'd train chest once a week. Don't see if your training other body parts how you could do it more than that anyways unless your not training it hard enough each time.

4/5 exercises, high volume, moderate weights, concentrate on style.. dont bother just trying to bench big to look cool in the gym.

My chest routine would be something like

Seated Press to warm
    Decline Bench
    Flyes
    Pullovers
    DB Press

Then you can always mix it up with cable crossovers, isolated pressing, even peck decking..

Don't overtrain.
    The higher you climb, the further you see..

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by steven1977 View Post
    wat he said^^^^^^^^^^^^