livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Testosterone levels and muscle recovery

Just curious how much testosterone levels affect muscle recovery. Like if a person have a lower test levels like 200 does he need more time for muscles to recover before hitting that same muscle group again compared to a guy with levels around 700?
    I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Gives Me Strength
    Phillipians 4:13

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its relative to what your personal "normal" levels are. Not you vs general populatioj

livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10) livetoliftsd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by genepool View Post
    Its relative to what your personal "normal" levels are. Not you vs general populatioj
    So currently i have a level of 277 which is in the normal range but seems low to what average people my age have. do you think my muscles would recoover slower now than if they were at like 700?

kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50) kapsemaj will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by livetoliftsd View Post
    So currently i have a level of 277 which is in the normal range but seems low to what average people my age have. do you think my muscles would recoover slower now than if they were at like 700?
    Yes, that is what he is saying, but I don't know if that's quite true.
    A lot of things increase test though, like saturated fats, and masterbation.
    So if an increased test will help recovery, then that means you should masterbate and eat a lot of pizza, your recovery will be better?
    Beginners, read:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=660236753&posted=1#post660236753

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    277 is low, especially at 20. The "normal" range is actually low because most men are overweight, they don't train with weights and they don't eat a proper diet to support optimal testosterone.

If you're under 30 years of age and your testosterone is below 500 you're either doing something wrong (poor diet, poor training, overweight etc) or something is wrong.

To answer your question, yes low testosterone will extend recovery time.

Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    277 is low, especially at 20. The "normal" range is actually low because most men are overweight, they don't train with weights and they don't eat a proper diet to support optimal testosterone.

If you're under 30 years of age and your testosterone is below 500 you're either doing something wrong (poor diet, poor training, overweight etc) or something is wrong.

To answer your question, yes low testosterone will extend recovery time.
    ok thanks. how does a poor training affect it?

Also would a person with this low of test levels benefit more from a 5 day split working a muscle group each day rather than an upper/lower split twice a week. Especially if the person is trying to mainly gain hypertrophy muscle mass?

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ok thanks. how does a poor training affect it?
    Poor training is training without progress, as long as your weights/reps are increasing you're fine.

Also would a person with this low of test levels benefit more from a 5 day split working a muscle group each day rather than an upper/lower split twice a week. Especially if the person is trying to mainly gain hypertrophy muscle mass?
    An upper/lower performed twice per week (4 days total) is better than a 5 day split for most beginner and intermediate lifters. The vast majority of studies on the matter conclude that training twice per week is better than training only once per week given equal weekly volume (so training twice per week with 10 sets is better than training only once per week with 20 sets).

Once you're advanced you can throw all this stuff out the window and train however the **** you like but until then it's best to stick to the basics.

You can train with a 5 day split if you like, you'll still make great gains, plenty of rank beginners make great gains on 5 day splits but the real question isn't whether or not beginners can make gains using 5 day splits but instead whether or not 5 day splits will promote an equal rate of progress, I don't think they do.
    Last edited by Kelei; 01-16-2011 at 09:27 AM.

ok thanks. so im looking at lyle mcdonalds bulking routine and am curious how much a rest day on wednesday is really needed. the program calls from lower tues/thursday, upper m/f and rest wednesday, saturday, and sunday

ok thanks. so im looking at lyle mcdonalds bulking routine and am curious how much a rest day on wednesday is really needed. the program calls from lower tues/thursday, upper m/f and rest wednesday, saturday, and sunday
    Don't you mean upper on Mon and Thu and lower on Tue and Fri?

that could be it too haha

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm pretty sure T levels fluctuate at a rather large range so maybe you should get tested again under better circumstances (ie not recovering from a hard workout).

k, thanks man