unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Training 5.1 for the overtrained...

Sometimes we need to give our bodies some rest from the punishment and rigors of training. Just ask anyone who's been at the iron game long term. But for those like myself who train to keep their mind right, taking off a week or two is just not an option. Been there and done that so I'm not going there right now, but that's a whole seperate article.
    Ok, let me explain. I call this program 5.1, and recently I've enjoyed increased hardness, definition, and a greater sense of well being without the expensive supplements I'm taking a break from as well. Because I recomend focusing on the negative part of the movement, and really lifting in a steady rhythmic fashion rather than how I might train when going for the big weights.
    In this program the 5 stands for breaking down the 5 groups of legs, chest, back, shoulders, and arms. Now I only prescribe training one of these per session on days Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in rotation so that each is hit hard only every 11 days. Since the key to this program is performing high doses of multi-joint movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, standing front presses, and on arm day, close grip bench presses, you'll forget it's been 11 days between group sessions.
    When training for strength, power, and mass, most of us use a pyramid approach to building up to the heavier weight and sets. With this program I like to perform more reps and work on those early sets. In fact, it's nothing for me to do 25,40, or even 100 reps with very light weights, but certainly not to failure.
    The 1 represents the grouping of calves and abs, which I will pound each Sunday. Since this probably is not enough work for calves and certainly not abs, I instinctively do some high rep training with few sets at the end of those weekday sessions. Again reaching as many as 100 reps, but on these sets I really push through the pain barrier. Most of the time I perform 1 or 2 sets.
    I'll be posting specific sessions soon, but feel to take this theory to tweak and fit to your own needs. Just be careful to arrange the 5 bodypart sessions so that you're not doing things like training back and legs 2 days apart and doing deadlift and squats too close together. My order is legs, chest, back, shoulders, and arms.
    Good luck...