Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    SashoMuskula has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys!

I accidentally stumbled upon this thread. I was surprised to find out there is a name for this condition. As other folks wrote here I thought it was just the way I wuz built.

I will proceed with correcting my condition but I need to make sure of something first.

How does this correction process interfere with your normal work out throughout the week?

For example, I am indeed doing deadlifts and I DO feel that only my lower back is under tension (Glutes remain unexercised). You suggest doing deadlifts with fewer weights - would not that defeat the actual purpose of the deadlift as being an exercise for gaining general strenght with weight progression?

Also how does the suggested treatment of ATP interfere with regular squats? Should one also lower the weights there? What about power cleans?

To summarise : should one turn ones back a little but on the regular work outs until ATP condition is fixed to some degree? Or can I do both simultaneosly?

TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SashoMuskula View Post
    Hey guys!

I accidentally stumbled upon this thread. I was surprised to find out there is a name for this condition. As other folks wrote here I thought it was just the way I wuz built.

I will proceed with correcting my condition but I need to make sure of something first.

How does this correction process interfere with your normal work out throughout the week?

For example, I am indeed doing deadlifts and I DO feel that only my lower back is under tension (Glutes remain unexercised). You suggest doing deadlifts with fewer weights - would not that defeat the actual purpose of the deadlift as being an exercise for gaining general strenght with weight progression?

Also how does the suggested treatment of ATP interfere with regular squats? Should one also lower the weights there? What about power cleans?

To summarise : should one turn ones back a little but on the regular work outs until ATP condition is fixed to some degree? Or can I do both simultaneosly?
    Lower the weights on all leg exercises, and focus on the hammies and glutes. I would not do squats unless you can get a good contraction in glutes and hammies, same goes for dead lifts. You will progress faster if you stay away from quad and hip dominant exercises like squats. If you do squats do them ATG and lower the weight. Put more volume for hammies, so leg curls and GHRs are great exercises.

sangeet22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

d

so which one of the 4 did you buy?

from performbetter(dot)com

TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sangeet22 View Post
    so which one of the 4 did you buy?

from performbetter(dot)com
    I bought the full 3 foot one. Don't buy the half ones.

Thanks for the response!

Originally Posted by TheBroBrah View Post
    Lower the weights on all leg exercises, and focus on the hammies and glutes. I would not do squats unless you can get a good contraction in glutes and hammies, same goes for dead lifts. You will progress faster if you stay away from quad and hip dominant exercises like squats. If you do squats do them ATG and lower the weight. Put more volume for hammies, so leg curls and GHRs are great exercises.

How radically do you suggest lowering the weights on exercises like deadlift/squats?

I am asking all of that mainly because I am a little bit after the beginners phase of bodybuilding - I have done Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strenght for almost 3 months and I have recently switched to a more complex work out schedule. Therefore, I am still developing all of my body without working exclusively on "weak points"!

Lastly, do you not think that reducing on the leg exercises for 1-2 months (until ATP is fixed) will create an imbalance in my development? I am asking not only you but also all of you guys out there.

Cheers!
    Sasho

Thanks for the response!

How radically do you suggest lowering the weights on exercises like deadlift/squats?

I am asking all of that mainly because I am a little bit after the beginners phase of bodybuilding - I have done Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strenght for almost 3 months and I have recently switched to a more complex work out schedule. Therefore, I am still developing all of my body without working exclusively on "weak points"!

Lastly, do you not think that reducing on the leg exercises for 1-2 months (until ATP is fixed) will create an imbalance in my development? I am asking not only you but also all of you guys out there.

Cheers!
    Sasho
    low enough to feel your other muscles working, rather than most of the load going to the quads and lower back.

Your legs will not be getting bigger, so yes your upper body will be imbalanced in comparison to your lower body. But would you really have terrible posture which makes you look terrible, or take a couple months and disregard heavy leg training?

madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) madkad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In the FoamRoller pdf file what stretches do you do?

its just you say buy just one roller, so looking is it right to just deal with the stretches to the end of the page 2?

I feel I have it bad and think I was born like it as I always remember being like this, also my son looks the same and has since he started walking

Hope I can fix the dam thing

low enough to feel your other muscles working, rather than most of the load going to the quads and lower back.

Your legs will not be getting bigger, so yes your upper body will be imbalanced in comparison to your lower body. But would you really have terrible posture which makes you look terrible, or take a couple months and disregard heavy leg training?
    Ok man, guess you'll always have to sacrifice something, won't you

Would you also lower the weight on power cleans?

jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jam88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice guide, I realised i had this a few months ago but didnt really find any good ways to correct it. Now I will put in the time.

Only problem is, I cant find one of these god damn foam rollers for less than $35 shipped (in canada). What a ****ing joke. Am i missing something here? are these things built with solid gold cores or something? Or do these retailers take us for complete morons?

/rant

EDIT: Is a softer or harder roller better?
    Last edited by jam88; 02-12-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Originally Posted by jam88 View Post
    Nice guide, I realised i had this a few months ago but didnt really find any good ways to correct it. Now I will put in the time.

Only problem is, I cant find one of these god damn foam rollers for less than $35 shipped (in canada). What a ****ing joke. Am i missing something here? are these things built with solid gold cores or something? Or do these retailers take us for complete morons?

/rant

EDIT: Is a softer or harder roller better?
    Thanks man. Yeah they are expensive, but worth it, trust me. I thought the same thing but it was worth every cent i payed for it. There's a difference between ****ty rollers and quality rollers. You get what you pay for when buying these.

A more firm roller is definitely better. Too soft of a roller will not have much of an effect.

Ok man, guess you'll always have to sacrifice something, won't you

Would you also lower the weight on power cleans?
    Yes but it will be worth it in the end. If you're feeling your lowerback come into play too much on power cleans i would lower the weight.

Originally Posted by madkad View Post
    In the FoamRoller pdf file what stretches do you do?

its just you say buy just one roller, so looking is it right to just deal with the stretches to the end of the page 2?

I feel I have it bad and think I was born like it as I always remember being like this, also my son looks the same and has since he started walking
    disregard everything in that guide except the foam rolling with the full roller.

Also yes some people are born with it, but i believe it is still fixable. Remember practicing good posture is very important as well.

K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the thread! I also discovered I have ATP thanks to this. I just have a few questions:

How long and how often should I do those stretches everyday and the foam roller exercises?

Also will this interfere with my body building routine at all? For example on a leg day or a back day, or is it still safe to stretch?

Should I do the stretches pre work out? Or whenever I remember through the day. Same for the foam roller.
    Last edited by K0pe; 02-14-2011 at 06:43 PM.

maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I also have been dealing with this for a while. I’ve ready many articles and seen many videos about this and have been implementing all these techniques… But it’s the first time I see that you can foam roll the hip flexors.
    I tried it for the first time last night and it was a world of difference…. It was somewhat painful, since my hip flexors are so tight and tender from years of sitting in front of a desk.
    Today they feel a little sore and that only means that it’s working… right????

maguirre

Originally Posted by maguirre View Post
    I also have been dealing with this for a while. I’ve ready many articles and seen many videos about this and have been implementing all these techniques… But it’s the first time I see that you can foam roll the hip flexors.
    I tried it for the first time last night and it was a world of difference…. It was somewhat painful, since my hip flexors are so tight and tender from years of sitting in front of a desk.
    Today they feel a little sore and that only means that it’s working… right????

maguirre
    Yes, they should hurt while foam rolling that means they are tight. And a little soreness is ok yes.

Originally Posted by K0pe View Post
    Thanks for the thread! I also discovered I have ATP thanks to this. I just have a few questions:

How long and how often should I do those stretches everyday and the foam roller exercises?

Also will this interfere with my body building routine at all? For example on a leg day or a back day, or is it still safe to stretch?

Should I do the stretches pre work out? Or whenever I remember through the day. Same for the foam roller.
    No problem man! Most people don't even know they have it, i find it quite funny.

If you want maximal progress i would foam roll and stretch 3 times a day, once in the morning, once after your workout, and once before you go to bed.

And no it will not interfere at all unless you stretch before a workout, NEVER stretch before a workout, it can actually cause injury. I would save foam rolling until after your workout, but i think it's ok to do it before as well.

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you need a section on dynamic mobility. Guys like Mike Robertson, Tony Gentlicore, and Eric Cressey all are big advocates, especially since they help activate a lot of the weak muscles in APT.

If anyone is wondering what a proper warm-up consists of in an Eric Cressey world, here is a sample from his new book "Show and Go":

Foam Rolling:
    -IT Band/Tensor Fasciae Latae
    -Quads
    -Hip Flexors
    -Adductors
    -Hamstrings
    -Lats
    -Pecs
    -Rhomboids
    -Thoracic Extension
    -Arches of Feet (ball)
    -Calves and peroneals (ball)
    -Piriformis/Glutes (ball)
    -Infraspinatus (ball)

Warm-ups (preferably, barefoot)
    1-leg Supine Bridge 1x8/side
    Split-Stance Kneeling Adductor Mobs 1x8/side
    Wall Hip Flexor Mobs 1x8/side
    Wall Ankle Mobs 1x8/side
    Squat to Stand 1x6
    Walking Spiderman w/Overhead Reach 1x5/side
    Cross-Behind Overhead Reverse Lunge 1x5/side
    No Money Drill 1x8

You can google what those are but they're pretty simple. I recommend "Assess and Correct" as well.

K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10) K0pe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey, 1 more question. I got my roller today so I began to do the 3 exercises you mentioned you worked on. I noticed for spine stablity it is very hard for me to roll with my hands behind my head. I have to push off the floor really hard with my feet and kinda my hands sometimes, is that normal since my spine is curved? I would say my atp is worse than yours in your 1st pic

Hey, 1 more question. I got my roller today so I began to do the 3 exercises you mentioned you worked on. I noticed for spine stablity it is very hard for me to roll with my hands behind my head. I have to push off the floor really hard with my feet and kinda my hands sometimes, is that normal since my spine is curved? I would say my atp is worse than yours in your 1st pic
    You don't really need to put them behind your head, if your core is strong enough you can just rest them on your legs. It takes some getting used to but that's the way i do it.

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i have APT, the physio im working with only has me doing lower abs strengthening stuff

Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    i have APT, the physio im working with only has me doing lower abs strengthening stuff
    I don't see why. The abdominals aren't even the root of the APT, sure they contribute a little bit depending on the person. But the hip flexors and glutes are probably the biggest factor.

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't see why. The abdominals aren't even the root of the APT, sure they contribute a little bit depending on the person. But the hip flexors and glutes are probably the biggest factor.
    apparently it's more too do with my lower lumbar, and also my feet. no offence but im gonna to go with a very experienced physio who's actually worked with me, rather than some dude on the internet.

TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    apparently it's more too do with my lower lumbar, and also my feet. no offence but im gonna to go with a very experienced physio who's actually worked with me, rather than some dude on the internet.
    APT is caused by the muscle imbalance / tightness of the quads and hamstrings. These problems can in turn be caused by other thing as the whole body really works together as a whole.

I am assuming your feet problems is fallen arches? which I suffer from too. This causes stresses on your knees which in turn affects the quads which is why he is probably working on them.

Strengthing abs is often use to correct overall posture rather than specifically APT which is why TheBroBrah questioned it
    Tight lower back? Aching knees? Poor hip flexor mobility? Weak glutes?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

-=[Misc Scotch Crew]=-
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆

Wish I could rep you again. Just stopping by to give you props one more time. I got my roller last saturday and doing 2-3 5-10 minute sesions a day with 2 of those stretches you posted I already see a way less exaggerated curve in my spine.

Props!

Wish I could rep you again. Just stopping by to give you props one more time. I got my roller last saturday and doing 2-3 5-10 minute sesions a day with 2 of those stretches you posted I already see a way less exaggerated curve in my spine.

Props!
    Very very glad to hear man, keep up the good work. Shouldn't be too long before your back to a neutral spine. That's about what i do as well, 2-3 5-10 min sessions. Works like a charm and i feel great after each session. Also remember to practice being in neutral posture, and also try and strengthen those glutes and hammies as well! GJDM.

Originally Posted by TheKoiCarp View Post
    APT is caused by the muscle imbalance / tightness of the quads and hamstrings. These problems can in turn be caused by other thing as the whole body really works together as a whole.

I am assuming your feet problems is fallen arches? which I suffer from too. This causes stresses on your knees which in turn affects the quads which is why he is probably working on them.

Strengthing abs is often use to correct overall posture rather than specifically APT which is why TheBroBrah questioned it
    Correct. Good post mate. Chest lookin swole.

nah not fallen arches, more my posture is all wrong (my body "hangs" off my hips or something), which is related to the ATP

Yeah I keep my back straight all the time. Atp is getting better by the day and it feels great. Just 2 more questions though, is it normal to feel my abs tighten up I guess, or being used while doing spine mobility? Don't know how to word it right, but it's the same burn almost as if I was doing crunches.

Also I really hate the hip flexor foam rolling so I usually only do a minute long session or so compared to the 3-4 for quads and back, but I stretch my hip flexors way more through the day, is that fine?

TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000)
    abs will feel a little tighter as instead of them being stretching over a distended gut they are being brought back together

for me a really feel it in my glutes, it feels like I am perminantly flexing them

is the hate for hipflexor rolling because of the pain or just the awkwardness of the exercise. if its because its so painfull then thats more reason to keep doing it it'll get better pretty quickly
    Tight lower back? Aching knees? Poor hip flexor mobility? Weak glutes?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

-=[Misc Scotch Crew]=-
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆

I don't really feel anything in my glutes but sometimes when I go really long on spine mobility I feel my hams tighten up suddenly (almost painfully) and I stop at the point before it starts to hurt.

My reasons for hating the hip flexor is basically because of the awkwardness, yeah. It doesn't really hurt, not as much as back or quads for sure. I did use to game a lot as a kid but I was still active and moved around, so my hip flexors aren't that much of a weak point. My problem was walking and sitting slouched over all the time. Also since all my clothes are pretty big for me atm as I dropped ~25 lbs on my cut, my pants/boxers keep getting caught under the roller and it just irritates me.

abs will feel a little tighter as instead of them being stretching over a distended gut they are being brought back together

for me a really feel it in my glutes, it feels like I am perminantly flexing them

is the hate for hipflexor rolling because of the pain or just the awkwardness of the exercise. if its because its so painfull then thats more reason to keep doing it it'll get better pretty quickly
    Yep exactly. You should be pretty much flexing them all throughout the day. It's work at first but then it becomes a habbit. You will also notice less stress on your lower back and hips as the day goes on while using this habbit. Yes more pain = tighter muscles.

Yeah I keep my back straight all the time. Atp is getting better by the day and it feels great. Just 2 more questions though, is it normal to feel my abs tighten up I guess, or being used while doing spine mobility? Don't know how to word it right, but it's the same burn almost as if I was doing crunches.

Also I really hate the hip flexor foam rolling so I usually only do a minute long session or so compared to the 3-4 for quads and back, but I stretch my hip flexors way more through the day, is that fine?
    That's great too hear brotha. And yes your abs will burn for a while but as the weeks pass it will become natural. Trust me. Although don't over do it and suck them in too much.

I actually do the same thing though, i do a shorter session for my hip flexors because i feel stretching does more for them and they are a smaller muscle in the first place.

Oh another thing i forgot to address. Do not sleep on your stomach!!! It's terrible for your APT. I actually have a hunch that contributed a little bit in my APT. Sleep on your side, much healthier for your spine.

Also, make sure to practice good posture seated just as you would standing up. It feels unrelaxing at first but it will become natural like all other things.
    Last edited by TheBroBrah; 03-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Pronoun: Phaggot/Genius backinbusiness's Avatar
    backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) backinbusiness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What do you think? Slight APT?

Man....after looking at this pic I've lost a lot of weight in the last 6months due to this lower back pain. Sucks ass....

Looking to get the foam roller today. Found it local for a decent price.
    Misc Firearm Crew. 2nd Amendment cannot be Interpreted.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
    2023 Goal: Continue triggering leftist R&P deranged posters and incels.
    Never relax around joggers

Originally Posted by backinbusiness View Post

What do you think? Slight APT?

Man....after looking at this pic I've lost a lot of weight in the last 6months due to this lower back pain. Sucks ass....

Looking to get the foam roller today. Found it local for a decent price.
    That APT isn't slight at all, it's pretty bad. And yes you definitely have it. You have all the symptoms.