Thread: home gym Ideas?

MsMandy86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

home gym Ideas?

So I love the idea of working out at home, and having everything i need (ie shower, food) at my reach within a timely manner, and that's besides the gas prices. But I'm at a loss as to what I should get to workout without spending a fortune. I definitely want to bulk up so maybe some free weights? and something for cardio.. an elliptical?

If anyone has any great Ideas they can share or know of a great way to get some cheap equipment that would be awesome and hopefully beneficial to others out there looking to builds a mini home gym

Average Joes DodgeBaller wide lats's Avatar
    wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    several sets of dumbells (load the right weights before you train) and free weight plates 20kgs 15kg's, 10ks, 7.5kgs 5kg,s, and 2.5kgs a regular bench it doesn't have to have the barbell rack you can use the dumbells for benching, a kettlebell or a few of them, a squat rack with safety pins at the side, a pullup bar which attaches to the door or cieling, and if you have to do cardio get whatever floats your boat.

people are always selling exercise equipment, check your local papers you usually can get everything under half retail price and delivered free.

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    At minimum you're going to want a free weight set and a bench. The adjustable barbell/dumbbell sets where you just put weight plates on are probably the cheapest option. You'll probably also want a stability ball and a pull up bar.

For cardio, you really don't need expensive equipment. You can get a jump rope, run outside, or do plyometrics.

I mainly work out at home and I LOVE IT! I roll out of bed around 6am, work out for an hour, then shower and get ready for work. It saves me a lot of time.
    Last edited by bethanyboo; 01-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.

solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solesurvivor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/hardcore_at_home_welcome_to_the_big_time

that link may help you out. sorry, you're going to have to copy and paste that bad boy...

PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PrettyReckless has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do you always change the weights before every exercise? Isn't it a bit of a hassle if you're doing circuit training? There'll obv be different weights per exercise.. just wanna know what you guys are doing at home, because it's always been my problem with working out at home.

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheBlackSwan View Post
    Do you always change the weights before every exercise? Isn't it a bit of a hassle if you're doing circuit training? There'll obv be different weights per exercise.. just wanna know what you guys are doing at home, because it's always been my problem with working out at home.
    I usually only switch between 2 different exercises at one time, and I'll typically do 1 with a barbell and one with a dumbbell so I'm not constantly switching. So I only have to change the weights a few times during a workout. It doesn't take all that long.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can do a lot with just adjustable dbs and a bench. I just put a gym in my basement and I love it! I got Ironmaster adjustable dbs (not exactly cheap though). They're very easy to switch wts, durable, and beats having to buy an entire set of all the wt amounts. I also have a power rack and barbell set.

Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

lhoneym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Home gyms are a great thing to have...I have collected various equipment throughout the past few years. Depending on your general workout goals and the amount of money that you have a available, I would suggest buying the minimum equipment that you need right now and as you progress,so will your gym. Really inexpensive equipment to start off with are resistance bands, a chair w/o arms (i.e. a kitchen chair), and maybe a pull-up bar. Honestly, to have a great workout you don't even need weights. Body resistance exercises can be varied and are honestly one of the best tools you have at your disposal.
    A great way to pick up cheap equipment is craigs list. Other alternatives are going to gyms and seeing if they are updating their equipment, some gyms simply throw away old plates and DB's. Lastly, check out a thrift store. You would be surprised by the equipment you will find and a lot of it is in barely used condition.
    NASM-CPT

Average Joes DodgeBaller wide lats's Avatar
    wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wide lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    You can do a lot with just adjustable dbs and a bench. I just put a gym in my basement and I love it! I got Ironmaster adjustable dbs (not exactly cheap though). They're very easy to switch wts, durable, and beats having to buy an entire set of all the wt amounts. I also have a power rack and barbell set.

That is what i am aiming for, very similar.

unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) unchained45 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Great Deals

Originally Posted by bethanyboo View Post
    At minimum you're going to want a free weight set and a bench. The adjustable barbell/dumbbell sets where you just put weight plates on are probably the cheapest option. You'll probably also want a stability ball and a pull up bar.

For cardio, you really don't need expensive equipment. You can get a jump rope, run outside, or do plyometrics.

I mainly work out at home and I LOVE IT! I roll out of bed around 6am, work out for an hour, then shower and get ready for work. It saves me a lot of time.
    I too enjoy training at home. Before making my last home gym addition, I found some great prices on craig's list. I finally bought a leverage home gym from a retailer in the end because it was 35% off, but I already had a decent amount of home gym equipment similar to what I found on the online classified ads. Also, if you have a ********, twitter, or myspace account with alot of friends, give a shout out on those regards. One of my friends on ******** just asked me if I wanted to buy all of his equipment for $150.00, but I just didn't need it. This would have been enough weight equipment for most people to take care of those needs.

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pull-up bars are great to have too! I have one that fits in a doorway- no screws or anything- it just kind of fits into the frame. Very easy to put up and take down. You can do chins and pullups with them and they are awesome.
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Femmes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MsMandy86 View Post
    So I love the idea of working out at home, and having everything i need (ie shower, food) at my reach within a timely manner, and that's besides the gas prices. But I'm at a loss as to what I should get to workout without spending a fortune. I definitely want to bulk up so maybe some free weights? and something for cardio.. an elliptical?

If anyone has any great Ideas they can share or know of a great way to get some cheap equipment that would be awesome and hopefully beneficial to others out there looking to builds a mini home gym
    Hello,

I hear you, I was feeling the same two years, when I decided to build my home gym or my apartment gym. I would suggest buying basic since you goal is to bulk. A Smith Cage is you have at least $500 to spare whcih in my opinion is worth it. Or a strong functional bench one with incline/decline, preacher and leg curl. In addition, a set of ajustable dumb bell up to 50-75lbs, one olympic barbell, and a regular barbell for curl for squat, EZ bar curl and finally some plates from 5-35lbs, and a chin bar for pull up and ABS. After that you may add a few items here and there if you want them. For cardio, use the stairs at home and in the Summer go outdoor. If you want to spend more money invest on a spin bike great for legs. I found the best way to purchase equipment is to buy at discounted prices such as yukon, sports factory outlet ect... or if you are adventurous go to Craig list and look for gym that are closing and look at their merchandise however, the draw back is no warranty for equipment for repair. Hope that was helpful. I love exercising at home. It is the best. The motivation to push myself hard is my only issue since I exercise alone. Also go to bodybuilding.com and look for home gym there are also some suggestions. best wishes. Let me know how it goes.
    0+0

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My stuff is in storage right now unfortunately but this is my gear:

- Power cage
    - 3 Olympic bars
    - 250kg of Werksan bumper plates
    - 8 to 32kg kettlebells (4kg increments)
    - Several belts
    - Chalk + bin for chalk
    - Simple bench
    - Bowflex selecttech adjustable dumbbells (5 to 55lbs)
    - Treadmill
    - Stationary bicycle
    - Concept 2 rower
    - Mini-television
    - Rubber bands
    - Foam rollers, etc
    - Pullup bar (don't use, there's one on the cage)

I miss it so bad it's killing me. I have a better gym than my current gym When I move, I will also set up a kiddie play area.
    Last edited by sonti; 01-15-2011 at 06:58 PM.

MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MinorSwoll has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Dude... just go on Craigslist and get weights for 25cents a pound...

Your weights don't have to be shiny to work

You could buy a bench too if you'd like off of craigslist or just a new shiny one
    My Rap Page - http://www.********.com/MCKaiZero (No songs yet)

I'm an Italian who doesn't act like I'm in Jersey Shore

Mesomorph - 15 years old - Nov 12, 1995

Weight on February 22nd, 2011 - 185
    Weight on August 17th, 2011 - 165
    Weight Currently (Aug 26, 2011) - 160.5
    Goal - 6-10% bodyfat before I go into a mad-bulking stage

MsMandy86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

great link that's exactly what ive been looking for! ok here is the plan.. I deff want to lose the last 10 lbs, then start toning. and i always need cardio but am kind of picky (hate working out outside unless its perfect weather, don't like using videos and such) so i gave in and got an elliptical. next step is a pull-up bar and weight set, since that's pretty much all I have room for. I think that'll do for a few years until I can get a house with enough space and get other things I want like a squat rack with accessories and bar with plates.. any other suggestions are welcome. and ill keep looking on craigslist and such for deal!

Originally Posted by solesurvivor View Post
    figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/hardcore_at_home_welcome_to_the_big_time

that link may help you out. sorry, you're going to have to copy and paste that bad boy...