Thread: Body Fat Scales

ChicaBella has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Fat Scales

i'm looking for a scale that can provide me with an amost accurate % of body fat. Any suggestions?
    Releasing the Thinner Me:)

kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChicaBella View Post
    i'm looking for a scale that can provide me with an amost accurate % of body fat. Any suggestions?
    Don't use the electric ones. They're crap and give innaccurate readings. I'd try getting your hands on a caliper. It's the cheapest.

BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000) BellaValerina is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would just get a regular weight scale with none of the fancy BF %, BMI calculations, water weight etc.

The best body fat analyzer is a hand held model, Omron Healthcare HBF-306C Hand Held Body Fat Monitor. I ordered mine on Ebay for like 36$ with shipping.

If you use a scale for BF% you will be +5% more BF than reality. Enjoy!
    View my story of becoming "Female Transformation of the Week" at: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/operation-dream-barbie-is-a-success.html

sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a Taylor body fat/ body water scale and i also have the hand held Omrion body fat analyzer. Both of them give me about the same result each time. calipers are definitely to way to go but i find them hard to do on myself.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, none of them are particularly accurate. However, I do love gadgets and have one myself . It's the Tanita that also measures water%. That is a bit helpful, as BF% changes as hydration levels change, so it can help you estimate a little more. Or, at least understand part of how your BF% can change like 5% in a day, LOL.

britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Agree with Birdiefu

I have a worthings that gives me cool graphs on my phone or laptop. Although I know it's not 100% accurate it always makes me do a little happy dance when the graph line goes down

As for hand held devices they're not accurate either but again good for a general guide.

Whichever you choose (unless you are a hardcore masochist) don't be using them everyday as you'll always get a different reading, quickest way to drive yourself insane lol.

critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    LMAO I received a new scale for Christmas. It shows BF%, H20%, and recommended calories based on goals. This morning: BF=45.6% (up from 36% last week) H20=35%. Recommended calories were a little high (especially if I were 45% BF), but not too bad.

I don't take it seriously. I'm sure I'm neither 30% nor 45%, closer to 20 - 25%.

There may be better models. The one I have claims to be a top pick by Doctor's Offices. Those Offices... smart structures.

I do like seeing the hydration levels, though 30some percent would be pretty dire. I do think the direction may be correct - as in I was less hydrated than the last time I stepped on the scale, but that's all.

Sorry no help finding an accurate BF scale. I don't think they're made yet.

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't think you should try to find one that gives an accurate number, ha ha. I have a "taylor" and I don't really pin my hopes on the number, I just observe the trend....and the instructions say to do it at the same time of day, and try to have the same level hydration, and same level of fed (i.e., fasted, fully fed, etc.)....

Good luck!
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you won't find one Check out the sticky on Body Fat: What it is and how to measure it to see why they are so inaccurate.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10) sahm22kids is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Yeah, none of them are particularly accurate. However, I do love gadgets and have one myself . It's the Tanita that also measures water%. That is a bit helpful, as BF% changes as hydration levels change, so it can help you estimate a little more. Or, at least understand part of how your BF% can change like 5% in a day, LOL.
    Yes, definitely get the one with the water %.

Mine never really changes. Maybe like .5% from day to day. The main reason for getting inaccurate results are not doing it at the same time of the day, doing it with a full bladder or a comppletely empty bladder. Doing it when u first wake up or after a workout. Your feet are supposed to be damp when you do the tanita scale. But my calipers, along with my scale and handheld device all give me results within a 1% difference.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kait123 View Post
    Don't use the electric ones. They're crap and give innaccurate readings. I'd try getting your hands on a caliper. It's the cheapest.
    Honestly - calipers can be even worse in the hands of those who don't know how to use them. Calipers are only accurate when used by someone who knows what they are doing.

Originally Posted by BellaValerina View Post
    The best body fat analyzer is a hand held model, Omron Healthcare HBF-306C Hand Held Body Fat Monitor. I ordered mine on Ebay for like 36$ with shipping.
    Actually - in most females, hand held ones are LESS accurate - the electric current going through the path of least resistance - which is from one hand to the other (straight across the chest).

So if you are a typical female and hold your BF on hips / thighs - the reading will 'miss' this, and you'll get a much lower number than that which is true.

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Agree - if you MUST then I would probably go for a good set of Tanita scales - not too bad in terms of allowing something to TRACK your bodyfat changes over time... but you need to be consistent in terms of your time of measurement (same time of the day), and your diet / water intake overall (so you don't get massive swings in water weight etc).

Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    you won't find one Check out the sticky on Body Fat: What it is and how to measure it to see why they are so inaccurate.
    But at the end of the day: This is the best answer.

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    Actually - in most females, hand held ones are LESS accurate - the electric current going through the path of least resistance - which is from one hand to the other (straight across the chest).

So if you are a typical female and hold your BF on hips / thighs - the reading will 'miss' this, and you'll get a much lower number than that which is true.But at the end of the day: This is the best answer.
    Interesting. I've used one of those at my gym and it always gives me a # between 6%-10%. The trainers are always saying "that's great!", when it's clearly total BS. Absolutely ridiculous. I've seen the thread with pics of different bf% and I would guess myself between 20-25%.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)