Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JeremyLeon View Post
    just tryin to not burn muscle tissue.. i plan meals around lifts and cardio and think i get in sufficient nutrients... still a bit confused but i kinda startin to see it
    ok....so....few things working here when you do cardio...first, it is inherently a catabolic activity, catabolism just means breaking down of tissue, muscle glycogen, fat, amino acids from body protein (hopefully not), etc.
    So you hear that and think "oh ****!" But put this in your pipe and smoke it: weight training is catabolic too, just as much as cardio.
    HOWEVER, the body's adaptive response to weight training creates a stronger anabolic response than the transient catabolic effect that weight training has. That's why the net effect of weights is muscle growth not breakdown.
    Cardio you have to look at a little different....unless you are inactive and don't exercise, LISS, and MISS won't be enough of a tension stimulus to cause an adaptive anabolic response (however, in couch potatoes they actually gain a little bit of muscle from LISS/MISS because their baseline of adaptation is so low). However, high intensity cardio that requires large amounts of muscle action can actually cause enough of an anabolic response to mitigate any catabolic effects of the cardio.
    Think about how much force a sprinter's hamstring is putting out when he's doing an all out sprint. It's A LOT and very comparable to weight lifting.

So that's the adaptive side of things....however nutrition also plays an effect.

If you go into exercise with fuel; carbs and protein being most effective, it reduces the acute catabolic effects of the cardio and speeds recovery. So essentially it lessens how catabolic cardio is.

Most people think "wait this is bad, I don't want cardio to be working off of what I've eaten, I want it to work off of my bodyfat!"
    Well, that's not correct. If you are counting your macros, and eating a set number of calories, who cares if you eat a big meal before doing cardio. A 400kcal session burns 400kcals no matter what, even if you ate 500kcals right beforehand...If you didn't burn the fat exactly during cardio, and instead burned off the food you ate, who cares? You will burn it later when you have 500 calories less in your daily allotment.
    In fact, doing cardio without fuel will make it harder to get your Hear rate up and to get solid muscle action to burn those 400kcals, and you will have to put out greater energy to do so, so more effort=more catabolism, and less fuel=more catabolism. That's why IN GENERAL I'm not a fan or fasted cardio. Although it has its time and place in specific instances.

Other things to consider is that even though the adaptive response to MISS/LISS is low, and likely won't have an impact on muscle tissue, if a VERY large amount is done, that can tell the body that you want more oxidative (ie, smaller) muscle tissue since you are more interested in cardio training than weights. So there is a ceiling to how much you can do before it bites you in teh behind.
    Also, HIIT, although anti catabolic in its adaptive effects on the body, carries a hefty recovery component, and if your legs are trashed so much that you can't get in a good leg workout, you'll lose muscle....not because of the HIIT, but because you can't lift heavy on leg day.

PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So what do you think of fasted cardio Eric? I know you & Berto are not fans - but speaking from a catabolism issue. If one was to sip on BCAA's during fasted cardio, as most suggest - that should limit any muscular catabolism..yes?

Catabolism is the bodys last resort - yes? So I'm assuming you gotta really TRY to burn off muscle? i.e not eating before/after, no aminos, balls out cardio.

Retired Pro W/C Bodybuild RichKnapp's Avatar
    RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000) RichKnapp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eric you were so indepth on this I posted it in my Blog/site.
    50+ year old stubborn mule. Follow along at
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177980091&pagenumber=

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Quelly View Post
    ok....so....few things working here when you do cardio...first, it is inherently a catabolic activity, catabolism just means breaking down of tissue, muscle glycogen, fat, amino acids from body protein (hopefully not), etc.
    So you hear that and think "oh ****!" But put this in your pipe and smoke it: weight training is catabolic too, just as much as cardio.
    HOWEVER, the body's adaptive response to weight training creates a stronger anabolic response than the transient catabolic effect that weight training has. That's why the net effect of weights is muscle growth not breakdown.
    Cardio you have to look at a little different....unless you are inactive and don't exercise, LISS, and MISS won't be enough of a tension stimulus to cause an adaptive anabolic response (however, in couch potatoes they actually gain a little bit of muscle from LISS/MISS because their baseline of adaptation is so low). However, high intensity cardio that requires large amounts of muscle action can actually cause enough of an anabolic response to mitigate any catabolic effects of the cardio.
    Think about how much force a sprinter's hamstring is putting out when he's doing an all out sprint. It's A LOT and very comparable to weight lifting.

So that's the adaptive side of things....however nutrition also plays an effect.

If you go into exercise with fuel; carbs and protein being most effective, it reduces the acute catabolic effects of the cardio and speeds recovery. So essentially it lessens how catabolic cardio is.

Most people think "wait this is bad, I don't want cardio to be working off of what I've eaten, I want it to work off of my bodyfat!"
    Well, that's not correct. If you are counting your macros, and eating a set number of calories, who cares if you eat a big meal before doing cardio. A 400kcal session burns 400kcals no matter what, even if you ate 500kcals right beforehand...If you didn't burn the fat exactly during cardio, and instead burned off the food you ate, who cares? You will burn it later when you have 500 calories less in your daily allotment.
    In fact, doing cardio without fuel will make it harder to get your Hear rate up and to get solid muscle action to burn those 400kcals, and you will have to put out greater energy to do so, so more effort=more catabolism, and less fuel=more catabolism. That's why IN GENERAL I'm not a fan or fasted cardio. Although it has its time and place in specific instances.

Other things to consider is that even though the adaptive response to MISS/LISS is low, and likely won't have an impact on muscle tissue, if a VERY large amount is done, that can tell the body that you want more oxidative (ie, smaller) muscle tissue since you are more interested in cardio training than weights. So there is a ceiling to how much you can do before it bites you in teh behind.
    Also, HIIT, although anti catabolic in its adaptive effects on the body, carries a hefty recovery component, and if your legs are trashed so much that you can't get in a good leg workout, you'll lose muscle....not because of the HIIT, but because you can't lift heavy on leg day.
    This was probably the single best thing I've read in months regarding cardio. THANK YOU!! This will make things so much easier to explain to people why they want good meals surrounding workouts and why weight training is essential.

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PaC-mAn8 View Post
    So what do you think of fasted cardio Eric? I know you & Berto are not fans - but speaking from a catabolism issue. If one was to sip on BCAA's during fasted cardio, as most suggest - that should limit any muscular catabolism..yes?

Catabolism is the bodys last resort - yes? So I'm assuming you gotta really TRY to burn off muscle? i.e not eating before/after, no aminos, balls out cardio.
    if you take bcaa before cardio, its not fasted...that's just basically pre digested protein. And no catabolism is not the body's last resort....catabolism does not equal muscle wasting....losing fat is a form of catabolism, catabolism just means breaking down tissue and being in an energy deficit. About 5-15% of energy expended comes from protein; dietary protein if its available, body protein if it is not. Eating adequate protein reduces muscle wasting a lot, eating adequate carbs does also, weight training negates it hugely.

Losing or gaining muscle is a two part equation
    Protein Synthesis minus Protein Catabolism. Both are always happening, and the end result of whether or not you have muscle loss or not is determined by if there is more muscle catabolism than there is synthesis or not.

I challenge you to question the assumption that protein catabolism is the body's last resort.
    The body is a survival machine. If it believes it is starving (down to essential levels of bodyfat) and needs to make it through a winter, or prolonged period of food scarcity...what is it going to use as energy?
    option a: bodyfat when you are already at 6% and have very little left
    option b: all this excess muscle tissue you have, as most bodybuilders from a survival standpoint have a lot more muscle than is needed for survival.

Look at starvation victims, they have no muscle and no fat...its not like there is a point where all the fat melts off and THEN all the muscle starts to go. If muscle catabolism was the body's last resort we could do whatever the hell we wanted for prep and not worry as long as we had some bodyfat left. HIIT twice a day every day, 1000 calories a day from any source.
    Originally Posted by RichKnapp View Post
    awesome, hope it clears up some things for some folks
    Originally Posted by Rsardinia View Post
    This was probably the single best thing I've read in months regarding cardio. THANK YOU!! This will make things so much easier to explain to people why they want good meals surrounding workouts and why weight training is essential.
    it's a confusing topic with a lot of misinformation out there, so i'm glad you have some more info in your arsenal since I know a lot of guys ask you questions...happens when you walk around at 6% bodyfat all year at 200lbs lol (not to mention that A&F model look....why are you so sexy Robbie?)
    Last edited by Quelly; 01-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.

PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if you take bcaa before cardio, its not fasted...that's just basically pre digested protein. And no catabolism is not the body's last resort....catabolism does not equal muscle wasting....losing fat is a form of catabolism, catabolism just means breaking down tissue and being in an energy deficit. About 5-15% of energy expended comes from protein; dietary protein if its available, body protein if it is not. Eating adequate protein reduces this a lot, eating adequate carbs does also, weight training negates it hugely.

Protein Synthesis minus Protein Catabolism. Both are always happening, and the end result of whether or not you have muscle loss or not is determined by if there is more muscle catabolism than there is synthesis or not.

I challenge you to question the assumption that protein catabolism is the body's last resort.
    The body is a survival machine. If it believes it is starving (down to essential levels of bodyfat) and needs to make it through a winter, or prolonged period of food scarcity...what is it going to use as energy?
    option b: all this excess muscle tissue you have, as most bodybuilders from a survival standpoint have a lot more muscle than is needed for survival.

Look at starvation victims, they have no muscle and no fat...its not like there is a point where all the fat melts off and THEN all the muscle starts to go. If muscle catabolism was the body's last resort we could do whatever the hell we wanted for prep and not worry as long as we had some bodyfat left. HIIT twice a day every day, 1000 calories a day from any source.
    Makes a lot of sense, thanks

JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    quelly u'r awesome. so essentially a good balance between the different types of cardio, based around your lifting regiment, with a solid pre and post macro intake would be the best way to go a bout it? looking at ur statement of "challenging the last resort" what do u think is the best combination once u get down to say 10% , 8%, 6% etc... im just tryin to figure out a plan for my approach to cardio sessions. gracias

and just as a suggestion... but maybe this should go up on the 3DMJ website in the article section! great material man. thanks alot
    Last edited by JeremyLeon; 01-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    -=Meat Head Nation=-
    -=Team Striated Sushi=-
    --------------------------------
    Some People Dread The Pain Associated With Working Your Muscles To Exhaustion... Others Hate It... I Live For That Pain... Call Me A Masochist
    Shootin for that "Ned Flander's Syndrome"
    Workout Journal

"Meat Head Nation_Journey to the INBF"
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128975511

Eat Hard, Lift Hard, Meat Head Nation

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was going to say the same thing. Nice post, Eric.

if you take bcaa before cardio, its not fasted...that's just basically pre digested protein. And no catabolism is not the body's last resort....catabolism does not equal muscle wasting....losing fat is a form of catabolism, catabolism just means breaking down tissue and being in an energy deficit. About 5-15% of energy expended comes from protein; dietary protein if its available, body protein if it is not. Eating adequate protein reduces muscle wasting a lot, eating adequate carbs does also, weight training negates it hugely.

it's a confusing topic with a lot of misinformation out there, so i'm glad you have some more info in your arsenal since I know a lot of guys ask you questions...happens when you walk around at 6% bodyfat all year at 200lbs lol (not to mention that A&F model look....why are you so sexy Robbie?)

Two in a row? Mad man.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WhiteFiberz View Post
    He's not lying! I prefer some aggressive MISS because it actually felt like I was doing something, walking? yuck!

All my 450kcal sessions were in 22 min too
    You and me both. I'm the same way. I can't stand walking slowly on a treadmill for hours just to burn a few calories.

"In and out just like a robbery" or something to that effect is what I remember being told

I too was jogging around town in my hoodie, hat and gloves in the depths of February in NY.

For me, even with cardio of that nature, I never felt like muscle loss was an issue at all. In fact, I really can't comprehend how I would have kept more because I don't think I lost much. Certainly not an issue with the quads and hams withering away for me.

Fcuk! Another question B..lol.

How often do you eat out during prep? Is Wendy's still on the menu? LOL

tylerrc55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Berto, quick question man, i was wondering on what you think is best in terms of offseason bulking/gaining...Ive heard to gain about a pound a week, 1-2 pounds a month, etc etc, what do you think is a good method to go by?
    Those Who Dont Fall, Dont Stand Up. - Fedor

ur not ur f*cking khakis bwelch1985's Avatar
    bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Think of it this way...you wouldn't make a sandwich or fries or salad or whatever at home w/out precisely measuring would you? That's why during prep most of us (berto included) only eat things we've weighed and prepared ourselves. So yeh...no Wendy's during prep!

Originally Posted by bwelch1985 View Post
    Think of it this way...you wouldn't make a sandwich or fries or salad or whatever at home w/out precisely measuring would you? That's why during prep most of us (berto included) only eat things we've weighed and prepared ourselves. So yeh...no Wendy's during prep!
    They do have macros up on their website and such...so just curious. Makes sense though - gotta be precise - especially if you gotta step on stage.

ur not ur f*cking khakis bwelch1985's Avatar
    bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They do have macros up on their website and such...so just curious. Makes sense though - gotta be precise - especially if you gotta step on stage.
    Well they have macros for a standard serving size but I don't see the cooks back there weighing anything on a food scale lol

Offseason or just cutting for a beach body I wouldn't hesitate to eat out using standardized imprecise macros...but when it comes to prep why take a chance? Namean?

quelly u'r awesome. so essentially a good balance between the different types of cardio, based around your lifting regiment, with a solid pre and post macro intake would be the best way to go a bout it?
    yup you got it
    looking at ur statement of "challenging the last resort" what do u think is the best combination once u get down to say 10% , 8%, 6% etc... im just tryin to figure out a plan for my approach to cardio sessions. gracias
    I wish it was that simple Jeremy, but honestly its so individual I couldn't do you much service by trying to answer that. Some guys like Berto could literally get shredded without cardio completely, and it would be faster and maybe more efficient maybe doing 1-2 session a week, 1 HIIT 1 MISS, somebody like me can't over do it, but also needs it so a delicate balance is needed....some people, endos and women espeically end up doing A LOT of cardio to really bring in the last bit of lower body detail
    and just as a suggestion... but maybe this should go up on the 3DMJ website in the article section! great material man. thanks alot
    Consider this my framework for February's Q&A
    Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post

Two in a row? Mad man.
    I was feeling frisky

Dere is NO offseason DREhova 87's Avatar
    DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Might as well keep the ball rolling... What is your take on IF training? Berto or E-Quell
    Last edited by DREhova 87; 01-05-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Bnizzle163 View Post
    Ever since working with you guys, I actually enjoy cardio. If I'm feeling good, I push it and hit the 400 cal mark (of my 500) at about 25 mins, if I feel like chilling or I'm pooped, I hit 400 around 35. Makes cardio a no brainer . I too used to believe in zones. SO overrated!
    Yep! And if you are dragging donkey arse you can just catch Sportcenter and its many reruns!

Originally Posted by JENerator View Post
    My gym has this same treadmill. It's ridiculously difficult. You can add a counter load/drag weight to the treadmill, too, so it's even that much harder to move. There are settings where I can't even get it to begin to move AT ALL. They call it the "beast" and many have lost their lunch during sprints. Yes, I love it.

Oh and Berto, yes, if it all works out, you should absolutely do "that" show this summer! You're already on the west coast, going later to the east coast, already went south for the holidays...it's time to take in the scenic fields of gold in the midwest!
    Going to run nekid through the corn fields! Had a great time meeting Ben and everyone else last time! Oh and the grocery stores are called Shnucks! I got a big kick out of that.

Originally Posted by WhiteFiberz View Post
    He's not lying! I prefer some aggressive MISS because it actually felt like I was doing something, walking? yuck!

All my 450kcal sessions were in 22 min too
    You are seriously making me feel like getting a run in! I love it, and best of all you feel healthy and in shape.

dude...start logging again. i miss your journal
    First year in college....he is on the the "How to be playa forum"

Originally Posted by deltpecx View Post
    What's a zone?.....
    When you counting all your macros, and never missing a workout LOL

Boom head shot!

Originally Posted by RichKnapp View Post
    Read all about it

Even when in a pinch, specially in the later parts of prep if I had to do AM cardio I would have a bite of something. During that stage you can actually feel the effects of food, your heart rate actually gets up there.

Protein Synthesis minus Protein Catabolism. Both are always happening, and the end result of whether or not you have muscle loss or not is determined by if there is more muscle catabolism than there is synthesis or not.)
    Very crucial point here. Its never black or white! Just like that insulin read you put up a while back. With that said I am having 1100kcal meal right now, and will store some fat most likely...but I took 5 steps forward throughout the day, and 1 step back with this meal.

Its the big picture, although now I feel kinda guilty about this pizza

quelly u'r awesome. so essentially a good balance between the different types of cardio, based around your lifting regiment, with a solid pre and post macro intake would be the best way to go a bout it? looking at ur statement of "challenging the last resort" what do u think is the best combination once u get down to say 10% , 8%, 6% etc... im just tryin to figure out a plan for my approach to cardio sessions. gracias

Said it earlier in this thread, but cardio has to be slightly dynamic. Is has to bend and give a little to what the main goals are here. Meaning allowing us to continually stimulating our bodies in a way that is conducive to preserving LBM, and lets face it when you are dieting your recovery is a bit hampered in some phases. Which is why I allow myself, and other 3DMJ clients to decide what is best on that day.

Two in a row? Mad man.
    That's what she said!

Originally Posted by jked4life View Post
    You and me both. I'm the same way. I can't stand walking slowly on a treadmill for hours just to burn a few calories.

"In and out just like a robbery" or something to that effect is what I remember being told

I too was jogging around town in my hoodie, hat and gloves in the depths of February in NY.

For me, even with cardio of that nature, I never felt like muscle loss was an issue at all. In fact, I really can't comprehend how I would have kept more because I don't think I lost much. Certainly not an issue with the quads and hams withering away for me.
    Like you got bags of loot

This was evident by how well your strength stuck around.

Fcuk! Another question B..lol.

How often do you eat out during prep? Is Wendy's still on the menu? LOL
    I might eat out a few times, but I will pick my spots. Also you have to recall that I am 7 months away from deadline, and I have 17 or so pounds to loose. Not to mention I am still averaging over 3,000kcals a day. There is some room to wiggle with.

Originally Posted by tylerrc55 View Post
    Hey Berto, quick question man, i was wondering on what you think is best in terms of offseason bulking/gaining...Ive heard to gain about a pound a week, 1-2 pounds a month, etc etc, what do you think is a good method to go by?
    Depending on how long you have been lifting. For example in my case 0.5 to a pound a months is what I aim for. What you just mentioned is not bad for most people though.

Yeah LOL

If you are having issues making the scale move I would wait. Or at least not eat much carbs, or fats at these pit stops. Go with protein and veggies.

yup you got it
    I wish it was that simple Jeremy, but honestly its so individual I couldn't do you much service by trying to answer that. Some guys like Berto could literally get shredded without cardio completely, and it would be faster and maybe more efficient maybe doing 1-2 session a week, 1 HIIT 1 MISS, somebody like me can't over do it, but also needs it so a delicate balance is needed....some people, endos and women espeically end up doing A LOT of cardio to really bring in the last bit of lower body detail

Consider this my framework for February's Q&A

I was feeling frisky
    But I love cardio Which is why I do it!

Originally Posted by DREhova 87 View Post
    Might as well keep the ball rolling... What is your take on IF training? Berto or E-Quell
    I know with my lifestyle it would not fit, but I am not apposed to it. One thing it does bring to light is how overrated meal timing, or better said frequency really is.

My main beef with it is that so much of Layne's research would suggest that IF setup would not be optimal as far as protein dosing goes. However, no research has been done on what kind of effect IF type feeding intervals cause. Although the thought of it gets me drooling, but then the whole law of diminishing returns rears its ugly head :P
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10) CalebR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Im game!
    Caleb Ralston
    Lead Producer Believe Media
    Director Stan RHINO Efferding Proving It
    http://ProvingItDVD.com
    http://youtube.com/believevideo

Chat with me on twitter! http://twitter.com/caleb_ralston

"The same power that conquered the grave lives in me"
    -The Bible

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by father flex View Post
    that's what she said!

lol!
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyLeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    berto- just watched part 5 of the video journals... and i can't find the link u said to the various sheiko routines... and i just wanted to ask u to plzz follow through w making more videos during ur prep.. awesome stuff man.
    -=Meat Head Nation=-
    -=Team Striated Sushi=-
    Some People Dread The Pain Associated With Working Your Muscles To Exhaustion... Others Hate It... I Live For That Pain... Call Me A Masochist
    Workout Journal

Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000) Blazed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Berto's Vids are the tits.
    Instagram - @gourmetpaul

Powerbuilding Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129013

Offering full contest prep, body transformation, and nutritional coaching. PM for inquiries.

Dere is NO offseason DREhova 87's Avatar
    DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DREhova 87 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Watch the rest of them. Talks about errthang.

FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ME(ish) Upper

So I went in to test out the shoulder, and played it safe. Started with some DBs first.

50 x 5, 60, 5, 80 x 5, 100 x 2, 120 x 2, 130 x 2....and 140 x 1

That last one let me know that 150 x 3's(paused) would have been a bad idea today. Decided to to some lighter bench press instead.

Bench Press

315 x 2,2

HS Decline

3 Plates + 25 x 8 RP 3,3,3,3,2
    Same x 6 RP 2,2,2,2

Seated Cable Rows

240 x 5
    250 x 5 Great holds and eccentrics!
    220 x 7 RP 3,2,2,2
    220 x 7 RP 3,2,2

Cable Pushdowns

180 x 8,7,7,7

DB Curl's

55 x 6 RP 2,2,2,2,2
    55 X 6 RP 2,2,2,2

Nutrition

Misc

Some tricep striations are starting to come out to play!

Originally Posted by CalebR View Post
    Im game!
    Caleb! I see you are going to share your journey to become a human forklift eh

lol!
    Don't let Eric's good boy persona fool you

berto- just watched part 5 of the video journals... and i can't find the link u said to the various sheiko routines... and i just wanted to ask u to plzz follow through w making more videos during ur prep.. awesome stuff man.
    Good place to start!

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/

Originally Posted by Blazed View Post
    The spring break variety to!

Originally Posted by DREhova 87 View Post
    Watch the rest of them. Talks about errthang.
    Except what happened at the yurt party after hours

devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000) devinh is just really nice. (+1000)
    All lies about the tricep striations. Unless we get pics.
    When you said you were testing out the shoulder and then wrote down this db presses, I thought that was for db shoulder presses. I almost threw my phone across the room until I realized it was for chest presses.
    CAN and WILL
    100% Natural Bodybuilding
    www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.COM
    www.biolayne.com

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Blazed View Post
    Get all the vids! Berto Gone Wild... up to 8 seasons!

Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    Good place to start!

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/
    There's also an excel sheet floating around the forums and google that sets up ALL the numbers for you! Just gotta know your 1RM.

Originally Posted by devinh View Post
    All lies about the tricep striations. Unless we get pics.
    When you said you were testing out the shoulder and then wrote down this db presses, I thought that was for db shoulder presses. I almost threw my phone across the room until I realized it was for chest presses.
    I threw my phone across the room and it stayed intact. The iPhone is indestructible!!! (lol jk don't throw your phone.)
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) toddbz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    See I told you guys E's the one to explain this.
    Now if this were a test, I'd get a solid C+

So here's a question. Does HIT have to be done ballz out? Meaning 100% effort.
    www.3DMUSCLEJOURNEY.COM

My sport is your sports punishment

Tricks are something whores do for money...or candy.

Team BK

Training journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=148831101

Originally Posted by toddbz View Post

Great Q..was wondering this as well.

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by toddbz View Post

I usually let mine hang all out, but I do HITT at home. If you do that at the gym, you're sure to get kicked out!!!
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

Originally Posted by extremenergy3 View Post

There's also an excel sheet floating around the forums and google that sets up ALL the numbers for you! Just gotta know your 1RM.
    link?
    -=Meat Head Nation=-
    -=Team Striated Sushi=-
    Workout Journal