D4ng3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Specific stretching is painful

I find that when I try to stretch my bad leg (due to surgery when I was 8, I'm now 21), it goes from a general uncomfortable pull into quite a sharp pain (you know the one, where you feel like you are over stretching?) instantly. There is no 'warm tug' where you feel yourself stretching. It just starts hurting as soon as I move out of the light stretch stage. Thoughts? This is any time. Even after warming up. I've tried just grinning and bearing the pain, but it is brutal, and doesn't make me want to stretch the leg at ALL.

AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ask a doctor/physiotherapist.

In general though, you don't make something more flexible by trying to go way past your current flexibility immediately, you do it a bit at a time.
    Bench: 572lbs (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9RrAfn0TfkY&feature=youtu.be)
    Squat: 924lbs (https://youtu.be/hnvJ0SdCYKw)
    Deadlift: 924lbs (https://youtu.be/KDS6TQ_--eM)
    Bent Over Row: 485lbs (https://youtu.be/dc-t9k3f208)
    Over Head Press: 405lbs (https://youtu.be/h3o4jOBa8IM)

MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MaxPunishment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not an expert talking here, but I think you want to go through gradual stages of stretching it out. Sounds like you're going for a full stretch on that leg, but maybe start off with a partial stretch which is just to the point where you're still comfortable for a very short duration and then just do multiple sets of these partial short stretches. From there gradually increase the amount of the stretch and the duration you're holding it and maybe you'll see some results there
    Keep punishin'

Originally Posted by MaxPunishment View Post
    Not an expert talking here, but I think you want to go through gradual stages of stretching it out. Sounds like you're going for a full stretch on that leg, but maybe start off with a partial stretch which is just to the point where you're still comfortable for a very short duration and then just do multiple sets of these partial short stretches. From there gradually increase the amount of the stretch and the duration you're holding it and maybe you'll see some results there

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Maybe stretching several times throughout the day, but more lightly than I normally would, will help loosen up the ligaments.

tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tckep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You have to be very careful with injuries. I do alot of martial arts as well as teaching them. I have 2 bad shoulders, 2 bad knees, a bad wrist, and a bad ankle. I am no stranger to recovering from pulls, tares, etc. There are two types of stretching: static and dynamic. Static stretching is where you are stationary and holding a specific stretch for a certain number of seconds. Dynamic stretching is loosening up your body with motion. Arm circles, foot circles, knee rotations, hip rotations, jumping jacks, etc. Typically, you want to do dynamic stretching prior to any athletic activities. Static stretching is best for after those activities when you are loosened up. You can also do static stretching right after dynamic stretching. The key is not push your muscles too hard, too fast, before you warm them up...especially when you are injured. The other thing to think about is rehabilitating your injuries with weights. Start with low weights and build up. You want to strengthen the muscles around the injured area, which will compensate for the injury and allow it to heal. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by tckep View Post
    You have to be very careful with injuries. I do alot of martial arts as well as teaching them. I have 2 bad shoulders, 2 bad knees, a bad wrist, and a bad ankle. I am no stranger to recovering from pulls, tares, etc. There are two types of stretching: static and dynamic. Static stretching is where you are stationary and holding a specific stretch for a certain number of seconds. Dynamic stretching is loosening up your body with motion. Arm circles, foot circles, knee rotations, hip rotations, jumping jacks, etc. Typically, you want to do dynamic stretching prior to any athletic activities. Static stretching is best for after those activities when you are loosened up. You can also do static stretching right after dynamic stretching. The key is not push your muscles too hard, too fast, before you warm them up...especially when you are injured. The other thing to think about is rehabilitating your injuries with weights. Start with low weights and build up. You want to strengthen the muscles around the injured area, which will compensate for the injury and allow it to heal. Hope this helps!
    It does. Thank you.