NeverBlind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help with Keto [Someone who is big]

Basically, I see diets of people who have 40 pounds or less to lose. That is cool, but I need a lot more weight to lose and wondering if Keto is the right plan or if I should go to calorie counting.

I don't know what to do with my diet, this is what I'm eating (barely turned 7 days today).

Morning: 3 eggs, 4 slices of bacon
    Lunch: Salad, 4 chicken strips, grated cheese
    Dinner: Steak, grated cheese, Salad, 2 chicken strips and a boiled egg.

I weigh over 400 pounds, so I need a lot to lose. Going to go shopping for food today, so help will be appreciated.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NeverBlind View Post
    Basically, I see diets of people who have 40 pounds or less to lose. That is cool, but I need a lot more weight to lose and wondering if Keto is the right plan or if I should go to calorie counting.

I don't know what to do with my diet, this is what I'm eating (barely turned 7 days today).

Morning: 3 eggs, 4 slices of bacon
    Lunch: Salad, 4 chicken strips, grated cheese
    Dinner: Steak, grated cheese, Salad, 2 chicken strips and a boiled egg.

I weigh over 400 pounds, so I need a lot to lose. Going to go shopping for food today, so help will be appreciated.
    It will work wonders for you. Keep up the good work. 7 days is a good start.

If you haven't, you should read Atkins New Diet Revolution.

It wouldn't hurt you to throw a few cups of green vegetables in there a day, too. Honestly at your weight I wouldn't stress about calories unless you see the scale stop moving for a week or so. But with the diet you listed, the weight will fall off of you for an extended period of time, I'm sure.

rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Black_Spit View Post
    It will work wonders for you. Keep up the good work. 7 days is a good start.

If you haven't, you should read Atkins New Diet Revolution.

It wouldn't hurt you to throw a few cups of green vegetables in there a day, too. Honestly at your weight I wouldn't stress about calories unless you see the scale stop moving for a week or so. But with the diet you listed, the weight will fall off of you for an extended period of time, I'm sure.

Good reply Black_Spit, I agree..

Your just about Keto anyways now, just up your fats a bit, maybe check out Fitday.com and get your Macros together.. Aim for 65% fat/30%Protien/5% carbs.

You just got past the hardest part of starting the new lifestyle, hang with it now.. Start a journal to keep you on track and motivated, It helps alot..

Great luck to you,

Hey,

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Yes, I will add more vegetables. What do you guys recommend for veggies? AKA I hate asparagus. lol

I have also been doing workouts in the morning, nothing big on cardio yet (I have done some, about 20 minutes every other day). I'm surprised for being so big how I can do so much. I see people smaller than me that can't do much.

Thanks for the help!

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great job NeverBlind and your first 7 days looks real good. You will be dropping weight quickly eating this diet!

In my opinion, broccoli is probably the best nutrional option when it comes to veggies, and I love the taste and fiber too. It really is amazing how easy to make and good some ground beef (or really any meat, I use tuna as well), brocolli, spices, and oil can be.

Once you've got the diet under control and you're ready to get more ambitious with your workouts, keep in mind that muscles require much more calories to maintain than does fat, so a workout regimen that includes weight training will actually make you loose fat quicker than standard cardio.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spimp187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by NeverBlind View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Yes, I will add more vegetables. What do you guys recommend for veggies? AKA I hate asparagus. lol

I have also been doing workouts in the morning, nothing big on cardio yet (I have done some, about 20 minutes every other day). I'm surprised for being so big how I can do so much. I see people smaller than me that can't do much.

Thanks for the help!
    Keep it up man, the fat loss really starts to happen once you become fat adapted - approx. 10-14 days in.

As for veggies, I don't enjoy them much. A good recipe I've been using, where I actually enjoy eating them:

2-4 cups broccolli
    olive oil (enough to lightly coat)
    garlic powder (to taste)
    salt & pepper (to taste)

Pre-heat oven to 450. Mix the oil and broccolli. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place uncovered in oven for 25 mins.

The broccolli gets a little bit browned and crispy - even my kids like it. Steamed sucks IMO.

devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good luck on your diet man! I started this round of keto July 5th when I was about 380lbs. I dropped about 80lbs the first 3 months to get to where I was at a comfortable weight to do some exercise (as well as medical clearance).

You are gonna see major results in the first couple of months, and Its only gonna get better with time. I suggest you do a log to maintain motivation and get support from others who share your struggle. If you got any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

FYI I do SKD (no carb ups)...untill Feb 20th
    USMC 04-08
    Native Texan

Texas Longhorns-Texas Rangers-Dallas Cowboys-San Antonio Spurs-Alexis Texas

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Vegetables: asparagus (optional!), avocado, aubergine, broccoli, bokchoy, brussel sprouts, beet greens cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower, celery, celeriac, chard, courgette, dandelion, endive, fennel, green beans, kale, lettuce, leeks, mushrooms, mangetout, olives, spring onion, peppers, rhubarb, radish, spinach, spring greens, salad greens, watercress. There's a lot more, that's what springs to mind.

Go heavy on the green veg. It will bulk out your meals, provide fiber to keep you regular, and will keep your friends and family off your back. It's hard to lecture you on your unhealthy high-fat diet when you are horsing into a salad or pile of broccoli.

Eat to hunger. If you are not hungry, wait till you are. Your body will not let you starve or drop calories too low, but it will often take advantage of ketosis to drop calories to the point where you can get fast fat loss. Make the most of it.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

@Eileen thanks for the list, I wrote it down. Looks good. I don't eat much, I know people here take down 6 meals a day. Personally Keto makes me less hungry and I barely take down 3. 2 are bigger, with salads and more cheese. But damn, its good.

@devildogJMS Wow, if you told me you used to weigh over 300 pounds, closing the 400, I wouldn't believe you. You look great. I can only hope Keto kicks my bum as hard as you and I drop 80+ pounds the first 3 months. So far my pants are fitting a bit better, only been 8 days.

@spimp187 Will give it a try, thanks!

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate all the help.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Six meals is not required, or even advised. Get into the habit of eating only when you are hungry, not because it's meal time. Most of us are fat, not because we can't tolerate hunger, but because we eat for reasons other than hunger.

gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gotigers has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wouldn't six meals be better? Even though you are eating minimal carbs I'm assuming the trace carbs can add up in one meal, enough to kick you out of keto. Four cups of brocolli is 8g net carbs, add in some nuts and cheese and you're over 10g of carbs (since 10g = insulin response) and out of ketosis.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gotigers View Post
    Wouldn't six meals be better? Even though you are eating minimal carbs I'm assuming the trace carbs can add up in one meal, enough to kick you out of keto. Four cups of brocolli is 8g net carbs, add in some nuts and cheese and you're over 10g of carbs (since 10g = insulin response) and out of ketosis.
    No reason to do it unless you're bulking and have a low appetite.

The 6 meal/day notion is broscience, admittedly broscience I subscribed to for many years.

If you are eating high carb, then it makes sense to eat small frequent meals to minimise insulin spikes. But on keto, carbs should be from high fiber veggies, and in proportion to the size of the meal, so it should not be an issue.

Six meals a day means a lot of time in the kitchen, and encourages eating when you are not hungry. If you are extremely ripped and prepping for a competition, that's fine. If you just want to shift bodyfat with as little stress as possible, fewer meals generally works better.

Why do you think that 10g of carbs means an insulin response?

devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) devildogJMS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If you are eating high carb, then it makes sense to eat small frequent meals to minimise insulin spikes. But on keto, carbs should be from high fiber veggies, and in proportion to the size of the meal, so it should not be an issue.

Six meals a day means a lot of time in the kitchen, and encourages eating when you are not hungry. If you are extremely ripped and prepping for a competition, that's fine. If you just want to shift bodyfat with as little stress as possible, fewer meals generally works better.

Why do you think that 10g of carbs means an insulin response?
    I agree 100%
    USMC 04-08
    Native Texan

Texas Longhorns-Texas Rangers-Dallas Cowboys-San Antonio Spurs-Alexis Texas

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was on the 6 a day for years, but now I'm much less rigid with it. On many days I'll eat only 3 times, on other days its 7 times. It really just depends on when I'm hungry and have time available to eat. One way I manage the cals is that I typically have all my food (save breakfast, PWO, and bedtime) all packed the night before or in the morning, so I just eat that according to when I get hungry.

Its cheaper too, as I almost never eat out... although I did just recently get a philly cheesesteak minus the bread... and it was delicious.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

Hey,

Sticking with the 3 meal plan, don't feel hungry and happy with what I eat. Going to say, is the 60/35/5 ratio for food 100% needed? I have a feeling I have more protein than fat. Will need help shifting numbers.

Putting greens in all my foods, at least outside breakfast. Also doing 'P90X' each morning.

You've got a bit of wiggle room, but try to keep fat higher than protein. Apart from anything else, high fat food is tastier and more satisfying.