Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Always a Marine! Now LPN! Kilim's Avatar
    Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Kilim's 12 week Transformation Challenge Contest log

About Me:
    I am currently 34 years old and started working out again 7 months ago. I had made a journal of my last 7 months that can be found here: My Journal - Restart.
    Currently work night shift so my schedule and timing is miserable but workable.
    I am making some decent progress so far but this contest seems perfect timing to push myself even harder! Working out is not a problem for me as I am in love with it. The hardest part is the diet.
    Working crazy hours and as a nurse I can't just drop what I am doing and eat but I am working on it.
    I picked my starting and end date for this contest specifically. Made sure that the end of 12 weeks lands on my birthday so it would be a great gift for myself to see how I can Transform myself in 12 weeks when I turn 35!
    Currently train by myself and video each of my lifts so I can critic it afterwards, can't afford a trainer anyways. Still learning everyday and enjoying my journey this way.
    Goals in 12 weeks:
    To get to 10% Bodyfat.

Perform 5x5
    Squat: 270lbs
    Bench Press: 200lbs
    Overhead Press: 140lbs
    Bent-over Rows: 200lbs
    Deadlift: 315lbs
    BodyStats:
    Stat / Day 1 / +12 Weeks / Difference
    Height: 5'8.0"
    Weight: 184.8
    Bodyfat: 21.9% w/ Omron (20.7% w/ BF Caliper)
    Waist: 36.5"
    Thighs: 24"
    Calves: 15.25
    Chest: 38.5"
    Forearms: 11.5"
    Arms: 14.5"
    Shoulders: 47.5"
    Hips: 35.25"
    Neck: 15.5"
    Day 1 Pics

Newspaper and Body Fat % & Weight:

Front/Side/Back Pics

Current Supplements & Uses:
    (Supplement changes will be posted as needed)
    CL Purple Wraath: 1 serving in 1.8L Ice Cold Water Intra-workout
    CL Purple InTrain: 1 serving in 1.8L Ice Cold Water Intra-workout
    CL White Flood: 1 serving in 10-20oz ice cold water (only during days I feel tired/weak/need extra energy)
    CL Orange Triad: 3 tabs in AM and 3 tabs in PM
    CL OxiMega Fish Oil: 1 serving a day
    AllMax Micronized Creatine Mono: 5g with PWO-shake
    ON 100% Casein: 1 serving in 15-20oz Milk Pre-bed
    Whey Protein Isolate (Currently TruNutrition Iso-ology): General use as needed.
    Diet Plan:
    Diet is the hardest as money is tight and hard to have different meals to what my wife and son wants to eat that day. That and I work night shift and that just screws with my timing even more.
    Typical Diet I "Try" to follow is:

Workout Days:
    (Usually a High Carb Day)
    Meal 1: Proatmeal (1 serving Steel Cut Oats + 4-5 cut strawberries + 1 serving WPI)
    Meal 2: PWO Shake (1 serving Quick Oats + 5g Creatine + 1 tbsp Peanut Butter + 1 serving WPI in 10-12oz ice cold water)
    Meal 3: Meat + Carbs + Mixed Veggies
    Meal 4: Protein Shake (8-10oz Milk + 1 serving WPI)
    Meal 5: Meat + Mixed veggies and sometimes some carbs
    Meal 6: Pre-bed Shake (15-20oz milk + 1 serving ON 100% Casein

Non-Workout Days:
    (Plan is for Low Carb Day)
    Meal 1: 3-4 scrambled eggs + some strawberries or Proatmeal
    Meal 2: Protein Shake
    Meal 3: Meat + Mixed Veggies
    Meal 4: Protein Shake
    Meal 5: Meat + Mixed Veggies
    Meal 6: Pre-bed shake
    Last edited by Kilim; 12-21-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    "Fear is the Mind Killer!"
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body!"

My Transformation Blog: http://mannixcastro.com/
    Workout Planner Spreadsheet for MS Excel: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108563891
    White Flood Juicy Grape Sponsored Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139863933&p=784479373

Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kilim is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Day 1 - 12/19/10
    So today is starting day.
    Just a quiet Sunday as it is my weekend off.

Meals:
    3 eggs Scrambled + Biscuit
    1 WPI Shake
    1 WPI Shake
    Grilled Veal Rib + Mixed vegetables
    Casein Pre-bed Shake

Day 2 - 12/20/10

Today is workout day

Meals:
    4 eggs Scrambled + biscuit + 4 strawberries
    Proatmeal + 4 strawberries
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    1 WPI Shake
    1/2 Boston Market Chicken + Red Potatoes + Corn

Lifting:
    (WU = Warmup Sets, WS = Work Sets)

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    50 x 5
    95 x 5
    140 x 3
    185 x 2
    WS
    230 (5x5) *PR*

Bench:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    92.5 x 5
    137.5 x 3
    WS
    182.5 x (5x5)

BO Rows:
    WU
    none
    WS
    177.5 x (5x5)

Dips
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    BW + 48.75 x (3x5)

Reverse Crunch:
    3x12

Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Sleep: Slept for ~6-7 hours and could not sleep anymore. Guess I am excited about the day.
    Took some WF anyways Pre-WO just to have an extra boost but i think the weights are heavy now and I feel beat.
    I was famished by the time I was free for dinner PWO and I think I ate a lil too much chicken.

Squats:

Another PR as I completed 230lbs 5x5!
    Heaviest I squatted EVER!
    I had to increase my rest period to 1-2 minutes and even got to 3 minute rest on the last set.
    Always hate the 1st 3 sets they feel kinda like warmups and the 4-5 sets feels like the my body is ready for it now but tired lol.
    Honestly, I was scared I was not going to be able to complete this lift. Part of me wanted to give up but I just told it to shut up and stop being a wuss!

Bench:

Really had to push myself on this one. Almost stalled on the last rep of the 4th set.
    Made sure to have a concious effort to keep my entire body tight and I think it helped!

BOR:

Not really happy with my form on this one but I did it.

Dips:
    Weight feels heavy and I am still kinda paranoid of hurting my shoulder again on this.
    Just made sure to take it easy and happy I was able to complete it right.

Reverse Crunch:
    Felt tired by the time I did this and actually had a cramp when I was stretching afterwards.

Workout Planner Spreadsheet for MS Excel: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108563891
    White Flood Juicy Grape Sponsored Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139863933&p=784479373

Day 3 - 12/21/10

Sleep: ~8hrs

Meals:
    1 WPI Shake
    1/4 BM Chicken + Red Potatoes + Corn
    Prebed shake
    WPI Shake
    Ribeye Steak + Mixed veggies
    WPI Shake
    Cardio:
    20min Incline Treadmill: ~ 1 mile
    Just a relaxing off-day with a little jog added in.
    Started off light as its the 1st time I did any cardio in months!

Day 4 - 12/22/10

Sleep: ~6hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    1 can Tuna
    Pre-bed shake
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Meat Ravioli

Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    52.5 x 5
    97.5 x 5
    142.5 x 3
    187.5 x 2
    WS
    232.5 x (5x5)

OH Press:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    71.25 x 5
    WS
    116.25 x (5/5/5/4/0)

Deadlift:
    WU
    175 x 5
    220 x 3
    265 x 2
    WS
    310 x (1x5)

Chin-ups:
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +50 x (3x5)

Prone Plate Switches:
    3x5
    Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Felt kinda tired so took some WF pre-WO again.
    Body felt bashed again after the workout.

Squats:

Honestly was kinda scared starting off with squats today.Bunch of fears was jumping around my head but I just squashed them and proceeded with the lift.
    I don't think I did bad at all in the end but I can feel my body has been busted by the squats.
    FYI: The way i figure I have gone below parallel on squats is by having my elbows hit my thighs. Going lower usually screws up my form in the past.

OHP:

WOW OHP felt way heavy today!
    I did 5/5/5/5/4 last session with only 1.25lbs less weight and i thought this should be no problem today, I was wrong!
    Still felt kinda worn out from squats also.
    Definitely will stay the same weight next session and hopefully kill this 1st stall!

Deadlift:

DL felt real heavy today also!
    Did the whole set with mixed grip just to be safe.
    I was happy with how teh 1st rep went but not content with the following reps.
    Think I really still need to work on my resets between reps.

Chin-ups:
    Like everything else, CU felt heavy as well.
    Just happy I completed it with good form.
    Think next session I would just use 1 of my micro-plates that is 0.6lbs for a good micro-loading progression from here.

Prone Plate Switches:
    Definitely felt like a beat dog by the time I did this.
    Just happy I was able to complete it.
    Maybe next week I can add a rep at least to the whole session.
    Last edited by Kilim; 12-23-2010 at 02:16 PM.

♠ CONQUERING BARBELL ♠ audieswu's Avatar
    audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Subbed! For support and motivation.
    CONQUERING BARBELL
    www.conqueringbarbell.com

DUP Training Powerlifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154586623

***Powerlifter Crew***

Instagram: Conquertheweights

Ice Cream and Deadlifts! born4muscle's Avatar
    born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Subbed! Stay dedicated. Make the 12 weeks count.

Day 5 - 12/23/10

Sleep: None

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    1c Pansit + 1/2c Pork and ox tail + 1 fried chicken thigh
    1 can tuna
    WPI Shake
    Chicken Parm w/ Spaghetti
    Its my night off and my son is off school due to the holidays which means no sleep for me until way later!
    Up for ~30 hours today until I get to have bedtime.
    Took my 8yo to watch Harry Potter then picked up the wife then dinner and bed.
    Wish my days off are actually relaxing lol

Day 6 - 12/24/10

Meals:
    Proatmeal + 5 strawberries + 2 eggs scrambled
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Christmas Dinner + Drinks

Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    55 x 5
    100 x 5
    145 x 3
    190 x 2
    WS
    235 (5/5/5/4/5)

Bench:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    50 x 5
    95 x 5
    140 x 3
    WS
    185 x (5x5) *PR*

BO Rows:
    WU
    135 x 5
    WS
    180 x (5x5)

Dips
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    BW +50 x (3x5)

Reverse Crunch:
    3x12

Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Sleep: After being up for ~30 hours I finally got to sleep for ~12 hours!
    NO WF today as I felt fine at start but maybe I should have.

Squats:

Weight felt real heavy and I felt out of it today on the squats.
    1st 2 sets are front view as someone wanted to see how it looks from the front.
    By the 3rd set I was starting to feel real tired somehow.
    On the 4th set, 5th rep I think my legs just gave in under the weight and had to drop the bar on the pins! (@ 3:30)
    1st time I have ever done this and now I know I can do heavy weights and have it drop WITHOUT hurting myself!
    Some old lady squatting in the smith machine next to me is trying to convince me I need to Squat lighter and STOP videoing myself on my lifts as it distracts me lol.
    I don't even look at my vids until AFTER I upload them on my PC at home.
    I think I did better somehow on my 5th set after I had that incident.
    Definite redo with the same weight next session!

Bench:

Not sure how but i forgot to vid my very 1st set!
    Maybe I was still stunned from my squat incident earlier.
    I did fine on the bench though and think I can do a decent progression next session!
    Going for +2.5lbs next session.

BOR:

OK BOR Session.
    Still think I can do it better but its starting to get heavy.
    +1.25lbs next session so I can still progress but not sacrifice form for weight.

Dips:
    As usual I am still paranoid of hurting my shoulder again.
    but managed to pull another good session.
    +1.25lbs next session.

Reverse Crunch:
    Did a good job, no cramps today.
    Still not ready for Dragon Flags though.
    Hoping after 1-2 more weeks and I can do at least bent-knee dragon flags.

Today is Christmas Eve so had a party later that night.
    Ate a bunch of food and had some alcohol.
    I guess I will have to call tonight a cheat night and hope to not have another one like this in a while.
    But its a once a year event so why the hell not

beastmode14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastmode14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Well done!

Hey man, your squats looked awesome.. I mean Im not an expert but you went so deep with those you might as well have laid an egg.. haha Xp Ive seen people who only go 90 degrees with their knees as if their sitting on an imaginary chair and I know that's not nearly as affective as your squats.. And your bent over rows didnt look that bad.. Ive definitely seen way worse there too.. keep it up man! I think I might video my workouts soon.. great idea!

MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Watch some of your vids. Make sure you keep your form. No injury's. None the less killer work out. Nice to see someone from the challenge in here. I'm in here too. Just look for Mongo260.
    "Submission NOT Optional"

Day 7 - 12/25/10
    Sleep: 8hrs

Meals:
    3 eggs scrambled + biscuit
    WPI Shake
    Tuna melt
    WPI Shake
    Steak + Mixed veggies
    I was going to do some HIIT Cardio but was a little hangover from last nights party.

Day 8 - 12/26/10
    Sleep: 6hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Steak + Mixed veggies
    Pre-bed shake
    Tuna Melt + 1 tbsp PB + Slices of Apples
    Steak + Mixed veggies
    Pre-bed shake
    Day 9 - 12/27/10
    Sleep: 6hrs + 2hrs before work

Meals:
    3 eggs scrambled + Proatmeal w/ 4 strawberries
    WPI Shake
    Ham & Cheese Croissant + 1tbsp PB w/ Apple Slices + Chicken Noodle Soup
    2 Beefsticks + 4oz Steak
    Had a blizzard the day before and was unable to go to the gym to workout today because they are closed

Originally Posted by beastmode14 View Post
    Hey man, your squats looked awesome.. I mean Im not an expert but you went so deep with those you might as well have laid an egg.. haha Xp Ive seen people who only go 90 degrees with their knees as if their sitting on an imaginary chair and I know that's not nearly as affective as your squats.. And your bent over rows didnt look that bad.. Ive definitely seen way worse there too.. keep it up man! I think I might video my workouts soon.. great idea!
    Funniest I have ever heard someone describe my squat depth!

About a couple months ago I realized my form was crap so I decided to start videoing my lifts and have them checked out.
    I find it a very useful tool and now I video myself on every lift possible.

Originally Posted by MONGO260 View Post
    Watch some of your vids. Make sure you keep your form. No injury's. None the less killer work out. Nice to see someone from the challenge in here. I'm in here too. Just look for Mongo260.
    yeah I hurt my left shoulder doing weighted dips a few months ago and has not been the same since.
    I get paranoid of hurting myself again so I try to be extra careful on dips.
    On my main lifts I have the rack for safety so not worried as much.
    And now that I missed a lift and had the weight drop on squats, I know for sure the rack will keep me safe!

ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ShayZ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great squat depth
    RIP mainsqueeze530

y u leave us so early bro?

Day 10 - 12/28/10
    Sleep: ~2-3

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Light Tuna Salad
    WPI Shake
    Beef Teriyaki Bento Box
    1 Grilled Veal Chop + Mixed Vegetables
    Pre-bed shake
    Cardio:
    none
    Its my day off again so just took a short nap then hanged out with son.
    Was planning to do some light cardio but too tired from being up all night that decided to just take it easy today.

Day 11 - 12/29/10

Sleep: ~10hrs

Meals:
    3 eggs scrambled + 1 biscuit + 2 bacon
    WPI Shake
    Proatmeal + 5 strawberries
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    1c Quinoa + 1 Chicken Teriyaki Breast

Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    55 x 5
    100 x 5
    145 x 3
    190 x 2
    WS
    235 x (5x5)

OH Press:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    71.25 x 5
    WS
    116.25 x (5/5/5/4/3)

Deadlift:
    WU
    140 x 5
    185 x 5
    230 x 3
    275 x 2
    WS
    320 x (1x5)

Pull-ups:
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +51.25 x (3x5)

Prone Plate Switches:
    3x5
    Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Had a decent sleep but wanted to break a couple PR's so decided to take some WF anyways.
    DL Goal of 315lbs met!
    New DL Goal by 3/13/11 = 440lbs!

Squats:

Started of kinda scared to do the squats today but just decided to grab the bull by the horn and kick its ass!
    (I drop the weight on the pins last session for the 1st time ever!)
    Had a bit of forward lean that need to fix again.
    I think I will add 2.5lbs next session and see from their if I should continue that route or drop it to 1.25lbs/session.
    Its getting freaking HEAVY for me now and will only get heavier from here!

OHP:

Not sure if the squat just killed me or the weight for OHP is still too much for me.
    Noticeable that I am struggling with the weight but at least I was able to do 3 more than the last session.
    2nd stall and if the next OHP Session is a 3rd stall then I will deload -10%.
    I think I did OK on my wrist position the 1st rep but need work again afterwards.

Deadlift:

DL felt real HEAVY but I am happy I finished it albeit some issues I want to fix.
    I reached both a PR and goal today!
    Beat the last PR of 315lbs which is also my goal!
    Now I have a new goal of 440lbs to beat by 3/13/11 which is also the end of my Transformation Challenge Contest!
    Thing I don't like about my DL today is that my hips is going up too early which I need to fix next session.

Pull-ups:
    Felt heavy but manageable.
    Almost screwed up my form due to fatigue!

Prone Plate Switches:
    Managed fine but still unable to add additional reps.

RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10) RdRookie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Agreed.

Two words: RETRACT & DEPRESS.

Other than that, killer effort, killer progress, and killer journal!

Registered User SuperSoldier117's Avatar
    SuperSoldier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperSoldier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperSoldier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperSoldier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperSoldier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperSoldier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome start. Good idea to record yourself. I think I'll sub in for this to.

Originally Posted by SuperSoldier117 View Post
    Awesome start. Good idea to record yourself. I think I'll sub in for this to.
    I video myself so I can correct issues that I do and do not notice at the time.
    It has helped me improve since I started videoing myself and I encourage EVERYone to do it!
    It is a VERY useful tool!
    (Specially when you cannot afford a trainer cuz your poor like me )

audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) audieswu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great work thus far bro. What's your primary goal? Get strong first while you cut. Or just straight cut?

I'm subbing for sure man. Gotta support my fella pinoys
    CONQUERING BARBELL

DUP Training Powerlifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154586623

***Powerlifter Crew***

Originally Posted by audieswu View Post
    Great work thus far bro. What's your primary goal? Get strong first while you cut. Or just straight cut?

I'm subbing for sure man. Gotta support my fella pinoys
    I REALLY wanna get down to 10% BF as I am not happy with the extra I got from not being as active as I used to be.
    While I am trying to get there I also wanna break PR's!

The hard part from what I am reading is that in order to build muscle, you need to have a caloric excess diet.
    To lose Fat you need a calorie deficit diet.

While doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the past 7 months I was able to lose some fat while also gain some muscle while staying within the same weight.
    From what I read it is possible to do both but it just takes longer to achieve goals.

Summer is going to be here soon so I think I will focus on cutting for now then try to bulk up later on.

PS:
    This is the HEAVIEST I have EVER lifted in my entire life!
    I just need to perfect my form now.

Originally Posted by Kilim View Post
    I REALLY wanna get down to 10% BF as I am not happy with the extra I got from not being as active as I used to be.
    While I am trying to get there I also wanna break PR's!

The hard part from what I am reading is that in order to build muscle, you need to have a caloric excess diet.
    To lose Fat you need a calorie deficit diet.

While doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the past 7 months I was able to lose some fat while also gain some muscle while staying within the same weight.
    From what I read it is possible to do both but it just takes longer to achieve goals.

Summer is going to be here soon so I think I will focus on cutting for now then try to bulk up later on.

PS:
    This is the HEAVIEST I have EVER lifted in my entire life!
    I just need to perfect my form now.
    Bolded part, I'm that example I have been doing a modified version of Power/Hyper routine, eating at 2100 cals. for almost an entire year but hitting the weights hard (see my log -- shameless plug lol) But it is possible just takes alot longer to shred up. In the end though. My goal was to keep getting stronger on all my core lifts (really important to me), but also keep dropping some bf%.

I'll be recomping for the first time come end of January. So I will take advantage of the excess cals. I will go on a straight cut again come April.
    CONQUERING BARBELL

***Powerlifter Crew***

Day 12 - 12/30/10

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    1c Quinoa + 1 Chicken Teriyaki Breast
    Light Tuna Salad
    Pre-bed shake
    WPI Shake
    Grilled Salmon Salad w/ 1/2 Pita
    Just a relaxing Thursday.

Day 3 - 12/31/10

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    1 Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast w/ Grilled vegetables
    Light Tuna Salad
    WPI Shake
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    2 CPK Korean BBQ Steak Tacos + 3 slizes CPK Pepperoni Pizza

Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    57.5 x 5
    102.5 x 5
    147.5 x 3
    192.5 x 2
    WS
    236.25 (5/4/3/3/3)

Bench:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    97.5 x 5
    97.5 x 5
    142.5 x 3
    WS
    187.5 x (5/5/4/4/4)

BO Rows:
    WU
    136.25 x 5
    WS
    181.25 x (5/5/5/5/4)

Dips
    WU
    none
    WS
    none

Reverse Crunch:
    none

Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Sleep: Slept 6-7 hours PWO.

My gym was closing early due to New Years Eve so I decided to go to the gym after work, which I usually do not do.
    (I tend to go an hour after I wake up from bed).
    So after sleeping around 6hrs then being up for about ~15-16 hours, I went to the gym after work.
    Took some WF in hope to boost me up but I guess I am just real tired from the day and had a real sub-par workout today.
    I just did my main lifts and skipped the assistance exercises due to my weakness today.

Squats:

I guess I was more tired that I thought.
    I was hoping my adrenaline rush would kick in and boost me up but it didn't happen.
    I was trying to do some box squats to practice on trying to figure out the spot where I just go parallel and not go below parallel too far.
    Also trying to work on keeping my chest up more also.
    Failed 5x5 so same weight next session.
    Debating if I should try box squatting again next session with same weight.
    Either way today was a horrible session and if next session is as bad I will deload.
    Also think now is a good time to fins a training partner to help me push myself.
    Someone to just piss me off so I can push harder works for me.

Bench:

Also a bad session today due to fatigue.
    I think I could have done 5x5 if I was well rested.
    Not happy at all with this one.
    Even though it was a bad session, I think I will add +1.25lbs next session.

BOR:

I think my form for BOR is actually a bit better on this one.
    Think this is how I should have my DL start also.
    I did a slightly wider grip than usual, maybe that made a difference?
    But I was getting tired and I think the 5th rep on sets 3-5 didn't reach full range.
    And my damn camera dropped on the 3rd rep/5th set lol.
    Think next session I will add +1.25lbs.

Dips:
    Was too tired and decided to skip it today

Reverse Crunch:
    Was too tired and decided to skip it today

Day 14 - 1/1/11
    Sleep: ~2-3

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    1 Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast w/ Grilled vegetables
    Light Tuna Salad
    Pre-nap Shake
    Chinese Family Dinner
    Cardio:
    none
    Quiet and relaxing New Years Day!
    Had a dinner with my family at our favorite Chinese restaurant.
    Its a start of my weekend off from work so was not able to get much sleep and just a short nap.
    Slept later that night and had a few drinks.

Day 15 - 1/2/11

Sleep: ~8hrs

Meals:
    Steak + Scrambled Eggs + Side Salad + Potatoes
    WPI Shake
    Lamb Boti Kebab + 1/2 Poori Bread
    Pre-bed shake
    Another Quiet Sunday.
    Slept a little late and woke up late and had a nice quiet father-son day
    Brunch at our favorite restaurant in town with my son and nothing much.
    Last edited by Kilim; 01-04-2011 at 06:45 PM.

2 Week Review:

Day 1 / Day 16 / Difference
    Weight: 184.8lbs / 184.6lbs / -0.2lbs
    BF%: 21.9% / 20.9% (20.7% w/ Caliper) / -1.0% (-1.2% w/ Caliper)

Goals met:
    Deadlift: 315lbs

New Goal:
    Deadlift: 440lbs

Notes:

Happy with progress so far!
    Losing Body Fat and gaining Lean Body Mass has been the goal for a long time!

Also weights are getting real heavy but that just means push harder!
    Reaching my goal early on the DL is great and now to set new goals and reach all of them!

Day 16 - 1/3/11

Sleep: ~6-7hrs

Meals:
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Bento Box: Beef Teriyaki + 1/2c Rice + 2 Shumai + 1 California Roll + Miso Soup
    WPI Shake
    Teriyaki Chicken Breast + 1c Quinoa
    Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    101..25 x 5
    101.25 x 5
    146.25 x 3
    119.25 x 2
    WS
    236.25 x (5x5+5)

OH Press:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    71.25 x 5
    WS
    116.25 x (5/5/2/3/2)

Deadlift:
    WU
    145 x 5
    190 x 5
    235 x 3
    280 x 2
    WS
    325 x (1x5)

Chin-ups:
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +52.5 x (3x5)

Prone Plate Switches:
    3x5
    Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Decent sleep and went to the gym at my usual routine. (Usually go to the gym ~1-1.5 hours after eating my Proatmeal breakfast)
    Felt good at the start of the workout but left the gym feeling beat up and the rest of the day.
    I woke up with I think is a pinched nerve on my neck and traveled to my mid-upper back between my shoulder blades by the end of the day.
    On a side note, I found my old Sansa Clip MP3 player and I find that having music while lifting helps me get that extra push I needed!

Squats:

Started of energize and I think I did well on my squats today!
    There was this hot chick doing squats on the smith machine next to me and I got distracted and ended up doing my 4th set twice!
    Otherwise I am happy and set another PR and I think I did most of my squat form decently.
    Just to be safe I think only +1.25lbs next session.

OHP:

3rd stall on OHP so going to deload -10% next session.
    The 1st set felt fine but went downhill after that.
    Maybe that extra set in squats didn't help either.

Deadlift:

Just added 5lbs on this session and was able to pull it but I am not happy with my form.
    I think I will do the same exact weight next session and call this a stall due to not so good form even though I added 5lbs.

Chin-ups:
    Heavy weight but managed to do it.
    Think next session I will only add 1.25lbs so I don't mess my form.

Prone Plate Switches:
    Felt tired by the time I got to this.
    Just happy I managed to do it.

Ice Cream and Deadlifts! born4muscle's Avatar
    born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) born4muscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    solid training day, man. keep it up.
    Tackling this endeavor with a scientific, evidence-based approach.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mbutler21

Instagram- the_mbutler

Day 17 - 1/4/11

Sleep: 6-7 hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Teriyaki Chicken Breast + 1c Quinoa
    Prebed shake
    WPI Shake
    NY Sirloin Steak + Mixed vegetables
    Quiet Tuesday.

Day 18 - 1/5/11

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    NY Sirloin Steak + Mixed vegetables
    Prebed shake
    Proatmeal + 5 Strawberries
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Wheat Spaghetti w/ Meatballs

Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    102.5 x 5
    102.5 x 5
    147.5 x 3
    192.5 x 2
    WS
    237.5 (5x5)

Bench:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    98.75 x 5
    98.75 x 5
    143.75 x 3
    WS
    188.75 x (5/5/5/4/5)

BO Rows:
    WU
    137.5 x 5
    WS
    182.5 x (5x5)

Dips
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +51.25 (3x5)

Reverse Crunch:
    (3x12)

Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Sleep: Slept 5-6 hours.

Was planning to sleep a little longer but my son woke me up from my sleep and couldn't fall back to sleep afterwards.
    No Stims Pre-WO this time and i think I did a good decent workout.

Squats:

I think my form is ok.
    Noticed on some sets that my upper body is doing a lil forward lean and drop more than I need and want to which I need to fix next session.
    Think it stems from me still unsure on when I break parallel.
    I have been using my elbows hitting my thighs to tell myself that I hit below parallel but i think that is causing my chest to drop a bit and some unnecessary forward lean.
    I mostly just hit parallel in most of my reps and it feels weird that I think I am squatting not low enough when I just hit parallel!
    But when I squat and hit way below parallel I feel like I am in my happy place ... with the happy little trees ...
    Next session I will microload again with just +1.25lbs.

Bench:

Not a bad session.
    But I kinda lost my tightness on the 4th set and not able to get the 5th rep.
    Made sure I kept myself real tight on the 5th set and completed it.
    I think if I had a partner I would have been able to do a full 5x5 by having my partner push me by pissing me off.
    Next session microload again with +1.25lbs.

BOR:

Maybe this is my bet BOR yet?
    I made sure to take a second to reset between each rep and tried to control the descent as best as I can.
    Next session will be a microload of +1.25lbs.

Dips:
    Not a bad dip session.
    Was not too scared today, maybe it was because I was also trying to showoff to the 2 hot chicks doing pull-ups and dips on the machine next to me.

Reverse Crunch:
    1st 2 sets felt fine but got a little tired on the 3rd set.
    Had some minor cramping while I was stretching afterwards.

Day 19 - 1/6/11

Sleep: ~2-3hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Wheat Spaghetti w/ Meatballs
    WPI Shake
    Hanger Steak Wrap + Side Salad
    WPI Shake
    Its my night off from work so that means I don't get enough sleep today to take care of my son.

Day 20 - 1/7/11

Sleep: 9hrs

Meals:
    Proatmeal + 5 Strawberries
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Lumpia + Quinoa
    WPI Shake
    Shrimp Scampi w/ Linguini
    Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    103.75 x 5
    103.75 x 5
    148.75 x 3
    193.75 x 2
    WS
    238.75 x (5x5)

OH Press:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    60 x 5
    WS
    105 x (5x5) *Deload #1*

Deadlift:
    WU
    150 x 5
    195 x 5
    240 x 3
    285 x 2
    WS
    330 x (1x3)

Pull-ups:
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +52.5 x (3x5)

Prone Plate Switches:
    3x5
    Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Slept real good after having not enough sleep the day before due to having a night off!
    No stims again Pre-wo and I think I did an ok workout despite my disappointment on myself on the DL!
    Also I think I need to tighten my weight belt 1 notch down now. Not getting that same tightness now that I think about it Post-WO!

Squats:

Personally a tough squat session.
    I don't think I was as stable this time around.
    Focused mainly on trying to keep my upper body from dipping down when hitting the hole and also trying to just hit parallel.
    I think there was a couple of reps where I missed parallel by a centimeter which I am not happy about.
    Think I will need to start doing 3x5 soon but next session I will only add +1.25lbs again.
    Also the squat sessions are taking much longer now.
    Taking about 1 minute to do a set and usually a 2-3 min rest period in-between sets!

OHP:

Deloaded the 1st time and I think I got tired from the squats!
    Still not happy with the wrist position also.
    Will add +1.25lbs next session.

Deadlift:

Focused on proper form and reset today.
    Think I did the lift decentlly for what I did.
    1st stall on DL! Somehow my brain pussied out and wouldn't let me try to finish and get my 4th and 5th set! Retribution next session!

Pull-ups:
    Really had to push myself to complete this.
    Think I will only add 1.25lbs again next session and really push myself hard to do it.

Prone Plate Switches:
    Yeah real tired on this.
    Think the squats is really getting to me and affecting everything down the line.

Day 21 - 1/8/11

Sleep: 5-6 hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Grilled Veal Loin Chop + Quinoa
    Prebed shake
    WPI Shake
    Buffalo Wings + Slice Pizza
    Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast

Day 22 - 1/9/11

Sleep: 7 hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast + Quinoa
    2 Chocolate Chip Pancakes + 2 Eggs + 1/2 Slice bacon
    WPI Shake
    Mahi-Mahi + Mixed vegetables

Day 23 - 1/10/11

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Mahi-Mahi + Mixed vegetables
    Pre-bed shake
    Proatmeal + 6 Strawberries
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Porterhouse Steak + Sweet Potatoes + Corn
    Pre-bed shake

Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    60 x 5
    105 x 5
    150 x 3
    195 x 2
    WS
    240 (3x5)

Bench:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    55 x 5
    100 x 5
    145 x 3
    WS
    190 x (5/5/5/4/3)

BO Rows:
    WU
    140 x 5
    WS
    185 x (5/4/4/4/3)

Dips
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +52.5 (3x5)

Reverse Crunch:
    (3x12)

Cardio:
    None

Notes:

Sleep: Slept 4-5 hours.
    Slept for a few hours right after work then to the gym.
    Its my night off so I just try to make up for lost sleep later that night.

Squats:

Think my form is ok.
    Need to control my decent more and still need to make myself guestimate better when I hit parallel and not go too deep.
    Decided to start doing 3x5 from 5x5 as I didn't realize I have already deloaded 4x on Squats since I started 31 weeks ago.
    Also the whole squat session was just taking too long (~1min per set and 2-3 mins rest between sets) making my whole routine with warmups and stretches last about 2hrs!
    Otherwise its a nice session.
    +5 lbs 3x5 again next session.

Bench:

Think Starting to get fatigued from not enough sleep.
    1st stall and not able to get 5 reps on 4th and 5th rep.
    Try again the same weight next session.

BOR:

Everything about this lift I do not like.
    Think my form is horrible.
    So stalled and will try again next session with the same weight.

Dips:
    Felt good, no fear!

Reverse Crunch:
    Same deal like last session.
    Able to push all 3 sets but started cramping when I was trying to stretch afterwards.

MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MONGO260 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

If your starting to cramp up your probably not drinking enough water during your workout. Workouts are looking good keep up the good work.
    "Submission NOT Optional"

If your starting to cramp up your probably not drinking enough water during your workout. Workouts are looking good keep up the good work.
    I drink at least 20oz water with my Pre-WO meal.
    I bring a 1.8L water bottle during my workout and sip it throughout.
    I add 1 serving CL Purple Wraath and 1 serving CL Purple InTrain with it too and finish the whole thing by end of my workout.

I ONLY get the cramps on my abs after doing Reverse Crunches.

I also aim to drink at least 1 gallon of water a day.

Day 24 - 1/11/11

Sleep: ~6+2hrs

Meals:
    3 Eggs Scrambled + 6 Strawberries
    WPI Shake
    Balboa Sandwich
    Chicken Parm w/ Spaghetti
    Quiet time and actually was able to sneak an extra 2 hour nap before work!

Day 25 - 1/12/11

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Pot Roast + Mixed vegetables
    Pre-bed shake
    Grilled Veal Loin Chop + Mixed vegetables
    Had a Snow Storm so got stuck getting mandated @ work!
    So missed my chance to workout today

Day 26 - 1/13/11

Sleep: 6-7hrs

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Pot Roast + Mixed vegetables
    Pre-bed shake
    Tandoori Chicken + 1/2 Poori Bread

Day 27 - 1/14/11

Meals:
    WPI Shake
    Tandoori Chicken + Rice
    Pre-bed shake
    PWO Shake w/ PB
    Chicken Breast + Roasted Potatoes + Corn
    Lifting:

Squats:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5) Overhead Squat
    65 x 5
    110 x 3
    155 x 2
    200 x 1
    WS
    245 x (3x5)

OH Press:
    WU
    Bar x (2x5)
    65 x 5
    WS
    110 x (3x5)

Deadlift:
    WU
    150 x 5
    195 x 5
    240 x 3
    285 x 2
    WS
    330 x (1x3)

Chin-ups:
    WU
    BW x 5
    WS
    +53.75 x (3x5)

Prone Plate Switches:
    3x5
    Cardio:
    None

Notes:

I realized after looking at my journal for the last 8 months that I had some calculations wrong.
    I have deloaded a total of 4x (+1 deload to work on form) on squats!
    Also deloaded a 3rd time on OHP.
    So I decided that according to the SL Program I should switch from 5x5 to 3x5.
    So now back to progressing in 5lb increments until my next stall.
    And when I hit my 1st stall, which I think will be soon, I will microload again.
    Also changed my rep scheme for my lifts and I think it helped in making me not too tired once I get to my worksets!

Squats:

2nd time Squatting doing only 3x5 instead of 5x5.
    Started doing Overhead squats with an empty bar 2x5 as my 1st warmup for fun.
    I like it better than doing a 2x5 empty bar squat starting warmup.
    Squatting is challenging but mentally is not as bad knowing I don't have to do 5x5 and only 3x5 now.
    Think form is not bad but also not perfect.

OHP:

1st time doing OHP 3x5 instead of 5x5.
    Felt not as worn out due to not doing 5x5 on squats earlier.
    Really need to fix this wrist issue, I don't understand why I am just being stupid on placement.

Deadlift:

Didn't like the fact that my knees are sticking too far forward.
    Kept my chest up and I think I need to lift my hips up more to prevent that knee forward issue.
    Otherwise I think the rest was fine.

Chin-ups:
    Felt real good doing chin-ups today.
    Really reveled at the fact that a couple of people was watching me doing weighted chin-ups as if I was some sort of monster lol.

Prone Plate Switches:
    Decent session. Nothing much to talk about.

Transformation Challenge: +1 Month review

BodyStats:
    Stat / Day 1 / +1 month / Difference
    Height: 5'8.0"
    Weight: 184.8 / 181.6 / -3.2lbs
    Bodyfat: 21.9% / 20.4% / - 1.5%
    Waist: 36.5" / 35.5" / -1"
    Thighs: 24" / 24" / 0
    Calves: 15.25" / 15" / -0.25"
    Chest: 38.5" / 38" / -0.5"
    Forearms: 11.5" / 11.5" / 0
    Arms: 14.5" / 14.5" / 0
    Shoulders: 47.5" / 47.5" / 0
    Hips: 35.25" / 35" / -0.25"
    Neck: 15.5" / 15.5" / 0
    Lifting Stats:
    Week 1 Start / +1 Month / Difference
    Squats: 230 (5x5) / 245 (3x5) / +15
    Bench Press: 182.5 (5x5) / 190 (5x5) / +7.5
    OHP: 116.25 (5x5) / 110 (3x5) / -6.25
    BOR: 177.5 (5x5) / 185 (5x5) / +7.5
    DL: 310 / 330 / +20

Lifting Notes:
    Stalled and had to deload and switched 5x5 to 3x5 on Squats and OHP as per SL 5x5 program.
    (Been doing SL 5x5 for a while and didn't realize I stalled 4x in Squats and 3x in OHP since starting in a few months ago.)
    Did some microloading on most of the lifts and probably why not such a huge change in numbers.

Also I achieved my DL Goal this month!
    I have changed my DL Goal to 440lbs now!

Comparison Pics:

Day 1 Pics

+ 1 Month pics

(More comparison pics next post)
    Notes:
    Not as good a progress as I would have wanted.
    Had a few bad meals specially this week which I think is what caused my progress to not be as good as I wanted.
    Still a visible and measurable changes though which is better than nothing.
    Last edited by Kilim; 01-17-2011 at 08:05 AM.