Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LessThanLuke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    Because low bar is a mechanically advantageous position compared to high bar, takes the low back out of the equation, this isn't hard sht to figure out. EVERYONE should be able to squat more low bar than they do high bar....
    ]
    No. I squat more high bar. It just feels way more natural. Go with what you squat more with. Stop over analysing ****, get stronger on squats and your o-lifts will go up as long as your technique is good.
    793 deadlift @ 231 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8k57L5fvPk

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by breathinglife View Post
    A while back I stalled out on squat for a few years, and it was only by doing a linear progression and grinding through weights I thought were impossible that I was able to make a break through.

Squats always feel SO heavy to me. I've tripled 495, but when I triple 405 it still feels like it is going to crush me. Every time I unrack something above 4 plates I feel like the weight is going to destroy me. I'm pretty sure this is the reason why so many people have trouble with squats--they are so intimidating. When I see you descend SO slowly on squat, I can feel the caution there.

I think the reason overreaching programs tend to work so well on squat is that people don't know what they are capable of lifting because they are afraid of going to true failure on squats.

So yes, I think you should start approaching squats with the attitude of do or die. Start trying 5 or 3 rep PRs that seem impossible, and only give yourself the option of total muscular failure, or completion of the set. Don't re-rack the weight and don't just give up. I took a look at some of your failed squat attempts and they don't look like you failed at all--it just looks like you gave up.

For an example of what it looks like to truly fail a squat, I humbly offer myself getting crushed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVkTxCEj6Y

You can see that I almost was crushed on the second rep, but I still gave the 3rd rep a go. I don't do this every workout, but I have completed some reps you wouldn't believe possible--just because I was willing to risk getting crushed by the weight.
    Excellent and honest post and advice.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LessThanLuke View Post
    Stop over analysing ****, get stronger on squats and your o-lifts will go up as long as your technique is good.
    Really? What is your weightlifting total?
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    accidentally repped him fuk
    RIP mainsqueeze530
    "Rustle your opponents jimmies from afar." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Mods - I don't have multiple accounts, asked for old accounts be banned, never had two open at one time.
    Misc - you don't have to rep me back lol, in return no rep begging pls tx

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A while back I stalled out on squat for a few years, and it was only by doing a linear progression and grinding through weights I thought were impossible that I was able to make a break through.

Squats always feel SO heavy to me. I've tripled 495, but when I triple 405 it still feels like it is going to crush me. Every time I unrack something above 4 plates I feel like the weight is going to destroy me. I'm pretty sure this is the reason why so many people have trouble with squats--they are so intimidating. When I see you descend SO slowly on squat, I can feel the caution there.

I think the reason overreaching programs tend to work so well on squat is that people don't know what they are capable of lifting because they are afraid of going to true failure on squats.

So yes, I think you should start approaching squats with the attitude of do or die. Start trying 5 or 3 rep PRs that seem impossible, and only give yourself the option of total muscular failure, or completion of the set. Don't re-rack the weight and don't just give up. I took a look at some of your failed squat attempts and they don't look like you failed at all--it just looks like you gave up.

For an example of what it looks like to truly fail a squat, I humbly offer myself getting crushed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVkTxCEj6Y

You can see that I almost was crushed on the second rep, but I still gave the 3rd rep a go. I don't do this every workout, but I have completed some reps you wouldn't believe possible--just because I was willing to risk getting crushed by the weight.
    Yeah I actually did see that 495 vid and that was a truly epic set!

Thanks BL, I'll take this to heart and I guess just try a little harder and get a littler looser with my form if it means making a weight. Maybe I'll just start Madcow's since that works with one heavy set instead of 3 medium ones.

For everyone else, here's a vid of today, I went a little heavier than planned and got vids of both the high bar and the low bar to see which ones you guys liked more. I DID try to go faster but again my right leg doesn't really squatting at all so I had to fight through that to get to the bottom faster and bounce, here it is:

'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

champion w8lifter in prog boykid28's Avatar
    boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I actually did see that 495 vid and that was a truly epic set!

Thanks BL, I'll take this to heart and I guess just try a little harder and get a littler looser with my form if it means making a weight. Maybe I'll just start Madcow's since that works with one heavy set instead of 3 medium ones.

For everyone else, here's a vid of today, I went a little heavier than planned and got vids of both the high bar and the low bar to see which ones you guys liked more. I DID try to go faster but again my right leg doesn't really squatting at all so I had to fight through that to get to the bottom faster and bounce, here it is:

[youtube]ezIz1XTPAPU[youtube]
    the high bar squat looked better to me. it seemed smoother. i think shaving ur beard would help ur squat too .
    -we are what we repeatedly do. therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.
    -sollevatore di pesi campione in corso
    -"that guy is running in shorts"Dr.House
    "he's not running, he's trolling"Dr.Wilson

gym PR's:

snatch:90kg
    clean & jerk:117.5kg
    total:202.3kg

oly squat:179.5kg

journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130985093

godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just put more weight on the bar and go for a pr
    RIP mainsqueeze530
    "Rustle your opponents jimmies from afar." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Mods - I don't have multiple accounts, asked for old accounts be banned, never had two open at one time.
    Misc - you don't have to rep me back lol, in return no rep begging pls tx

batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    what did u do from 0:13 til 0:23?? NOTHING.. why you take 10 seconds to prepare for a squat?
    NB! If i accidentally neg you or forget to rep back, pm me :3

boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by batmannu View Post
    what did u do from 0:13 til 0:23?? NOTHING.. why you take 10 seconds to prepare for a squat?
    u really dont like him now, do u?

gym PR's:

DWHarrington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

For an example of what it looks like to truly fail a squat, I humbly offer myself getting crushed...

It sounds as though you are weak at the top and lack stability. One way to overcome this is to do high box squats. I used to do these using an old 1950's heavy tubular steel kitchen chair.

I doubt you will be able to find any kitchen chair as sturdy today. Whatever you use it shoud be able to support a lot of weight and be about the height of a kitchen chair... maybe higher depending on your height. I'm 5ft 4in so you can figure if you need something higher than kitchen chair height.

Un-rack the weight and squat down slowly like you are just sitting. Just let your butt kiss the chair, high bench or whatever you are using and stand. Don't bounce off the chair or sink down in it. The chair is only a guide to let you know you know when you've gone low enough for this exercise.

Keep your reps between 8-12. I worked my way up to where I was able to do 8-12 reps with about 75+ pounds above my best single full squat. With that kind of strength and stability un-racking for a single was a piece of cake.

You should start this exercise with a weight that is fairly easy for you and just gradually build up the weight over time. Don't do anything below 8 reps. Lowering the reps to handle more weight on this exercise serves no purpose. The purpose here is to condition your back, legs and all muscles involved for heavier weights and improving your stability.

This exercise does not replace full squats. It is an assistance exercise, a tool to increase your strength at the top and stability.

BTW You should always use pins in your power rack in case you get stuck at the bottom. Safety first. Just set the pins so that they will catch the weight if you have a miss.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by DWHarrington; 01-05-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: additional details

batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by boykid28 View Post
    u really dont like him now, do u?
    his form looks better than on the previous videos.
    but thats not what everyone has told him to do.. luls..
    NB! If i accidentally neg you or forget to rep back, pm me :3

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by batmannu View Post
    his form looks better than on the previous videos.
    but thats not what everyone has told him to do.. luls..

- Stizzel

the high bar squat looked better to me. it seemed smoother. i think shaving ur beard would help ur squat too .
    Think I should stick with that or did the low bar look better?

What's wrong with the beard?

- Stizzel

Learning and Evolving MJAffliction's Avatar
    MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For what it is worth, I like the high bar better.

The main hinderance is your lack of explosiveness. You're not being dynamic when squatting, for whatever reason it may be (I know you said a medical condition).

BUT, if you are consistent with using that form in the previous video and squat like that all the time, then continue progressing / adding weight with that aforementioned form!

This is all just my opinion. I'm a measly 315 lb squatter myself so I shouldn't be offering advice as it is.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MJAffliction View Post
    BUT, if you are consistent with using that form in the previous video and squat like that all the time, then continue progressing / adding weight with that aforementioned form!
    Exactly. It doesn't matter if it takes you 10 seconds to lower bar, if the bar is high or low, or if your shoes have a heel or not. If you are consistent and you follow the training principles that work for you, you should get progress.

I recently used a 5 seconds down, 5 seconds up tempo on my squats. I went from 185x3x3 to 225x3x3 in 4 weeks. After 3 workouts with a regular squat tempo I got a 30lb PR.

There is no reason you have to move fast to get stronger.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MJAffliction View Post
    For what it is worth, I like the high bar better.

The main hinderance is your lack of explosiveness. You're not being dynamic when squatting, for whatever reason it may be (I know you said a medical condition).

This is all just my opinion. I'm a measly 315 lb squatter myself so I shouldn't be offering advice as it is.
    Originally Posted by raffiki View Post
    Exactly. It doesn't matter if it takes you 10 seconds to lower bar, if the bar is high or low, or if your shoes have a heel or not. If you are consistent and you follow the training principles that work for you, you should get progress.

I recently used a 5 seconds down, 5 seconds up tempo on my squats. I went from 185x3x3 to 225x3x3 in 4 weeks. After 3 workouts with a regular squat tempo I got a 30lb PR.

Totally agree with both you guys!! GoJu, just use the technique you're comfortable with and start moving more weight!!!!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ehh, I think he needs to work on at least having the ability to squat fast enough to bounce out of the hole before he starts to modify the different parameters of the lift. His technique is looking better in that last vid.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post
    Ehh, I think he needs to work on at least having the ability to squat fast enough to bounce out of the hole before he starts to modify the different parameters of the lift. His technique is looking better in that last vid.
    I wasn't suggesting he do that. It was just an example. Half this 5-page thread is people claiming that his squat has stagnated because he doesn't lift fast enough. So apparently Ed Coan never actually got strong.

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Because low bar is a mechanically advantageous position compared to high bar, takes the low back out of the equation, this isn't hard sht to figure out. EVERYONE should be able to squat more low bar than they do high bar....
    You're going to be strong at the style you train in.
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I wasn't suggesting he do that. It was just an example. Half this 5-page thread is people claiming that his squat has stagnated because he doesn't lift fast enough. So apparently Ed Coan never actually got strong.
    He's claimed part of his problem is the weight feels too heavy; if he goes faster and is able to thus lift more weight than his body will get more accustomed to how heavier weight feels. Then he'll have more mental confidence when squatting slowly. I think he should mix the two to some degree, but try to go faster for now so he can get used to heavier weight.

so track & field jumpers and sprinters dont get stronger from sprint/speed training?

gym PR's:

breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Goju, your most recent video looks like a huge improvement, especially with the speed. Keep training like that, and I think you'll see some real progress.
    637/390tng/615 - belt/wraps, best gym lifts.
    600/370/600 - best competition lifts.
    575/330/560 - best competition lifts at 181 raw.
    "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Cor 9:27

Olympic Lifter & Coach GqArtguy's Avatar
    GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ed Coan never intentionally lifted slow with maximal weights. Even if he had 1000lbs on his back, he was still trying to move it fast and exert maximal effort. Just because a weight moves slowly doesnt mean youre trying to move it slowly.
    Olympic Lifting Coach

My Demo Vids and some training:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mhbuitrago

Goju, your most recent video looks like a huge improvement, especially with the speed. Keep training like that, and I think you'll see some real progress.
    Thanks man, which squat looked better? The high bar or the low bar?

- Stizzel

ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    should he not spread his stance a bit wider and sit back a little farther?

Thanks man, which squat looked better? The high bar or the low bar?
    the high bar looked better. but it only really matters which 1 feels more comfortable and u can lift more weight with.

gym PR's:

so track & field jumpers and sprinters dont get stronger from sprint/speed training?
    Not significantly.

Originally Posted by GqArtguy View Post
    Ed Coan never intentionally lifted slow with maximal weights. Even if he had 1000lbs on his back, he was still trying to move it fast and exert maximal effort. Just because a weight moves slowly doesnt mean youre trying to move it slowly.
    He never tried to bounce his squats.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    He's claimed part of his problem is the weight feels too heavy; if he goes faster and is able to thus lift more weight than his body will get more accustomed to how heavier weight feels. Then he'll have more mental confidence when squatting slowly. I think he should mix the two to some degree, but try to go faster for now so he can get used to heavier weight.
    Maybe that is a point, but it doesn't matter. He says he can't move any faster than that. My point is, for the purposes of squat strength, there is no reason whatsoever that he should have to move any faster.

Obviously it will affect the snatch and clean, but that isn't the point of the thread. And anyone who thinks that bouncing back squats will improve their clean is barking up the wrong tree, and increasing their chance of injury.

Olympic Lifter & Coach GqArtguy's Avatar
    GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) GqArtguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He never tried to bounce his squats.

Nice shifting of the goal posts, but Coan never had to go rock bottom (i.e. bounce out of rock bottom), just parallel. And in either case he never paused or lifted slowly intentionally with max weights, but rather used a stretch shortening cycle.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgrf...eature=related
    Olympic Lifting Coach

My Demo Vids and some training:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mhbuitrago