Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pjordan4477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy How long before Keto kicks in?

I've eaten meat for 3 days...Stix say I'm still negative.

Today is day 4...
    I was skinny once...once.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pjordan4477 View Post

Today is day 4...
    Then throw them away. They are all but useless. Use the scale and measuring tape.

They are a medical tool for diabetics, so they do work...

Are the levels so low that it's useless to use them?

The proof that it's working would be a great motivator even when weight isn't providing results.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They're useless for three paragraphs of reasons that I typed out like 2 days ago, and I don't want to do it again. Search keto strips, click keto forum only, search within the last week only, and I bet you there are 5 threads in that timeframe alone.

jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmart21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Black_Spit View Post
    They're useless for three paragraphs of reasons that I typed out like 2 days ago, and I don't want to do it again. Search keto strips, click keto forum only, search within the last week only, and I bet you there are 5 threads in that timeframe alone.
    Thank you.

Please people; use the search function. There's a ketostix question just about everyday. Same questions; same answers.
    My Cutting Log/Bodybugg Review:
    <http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=714033911#post714033911>

You rep me; I rep you!
    -----------------------

עבד ישוע - עבד השם access1denied's Avatar
    access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) access1denied is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    TS, make sure that you're getting in your macros right. If your diet is too heavily favored toward protein, which your initial post makes it seem, then your liver will convert too much protein into glucose for you to enter ketosis. You need to make sure your macros are 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs. You can give or take 3 or 4 percentage points on fat and protein, but leave your carbs as trace as possible.

Everyday I'm Muscling eternalprimate's Avatar
    eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eternalprimate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Today is day 4...
    Ha Ha!
    IIFYM/IF Crew.
    R.I.P. Zyzz - Son of Zeus, Brother of Hercules, Father of Aesthetics

Well, good news is I dropped 5 lbs yesterday.

My blood sugar was messy after a 20 minute cardio.

Took my vitamins, potassuim, Flax seed and was good to go.

I've had my potassuim drop so low I about fell out, back in 2007.

Last night I say a very very slight color change in the sticks.

I'm eating 2 turkey cheddar (Johnsville) sausages in the morning. Red or white meat for lunch - same for dinner.

Should I be hitting the red meat more?

Searched and Read pros and cons...

During which the amount of fat you eat came into question.

Why is the amount of fat I eat so important? I'm low/no carb and around 150g of protien.

The basis of this question relies on the fact that I'm a fat ass and there is enough pork around my belly to fill in on the "fat to burn" process.

I want my body fat burnin, not the fat I eat...

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm eating 2 turkey cheddar (Johnsville) sausages in the morning. Red or white meat for lunch - same for dinner.

Should I be hitting the red meat more?
    Less processed foods and more fresh foods + veggies.

Why is the amount of fat I eat so important? I'm low/no carb and around 150g of protien.
    It's the majority of your calories unless you are PSMF'ing.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    Less processed foods and more fresh foods + veggies.

It's the majority of your calories unless you are PSMF'ing.
    Okay, I had to look up PSMF. New to this stuff. I'm not trying to PSMF, I want to put veggies back in, but slowly once I know the body has adapted to fat energy.

I was told to not eat carbs to kick ketosis off. I started with veggies, but didn't see results so I went all meat. (that desicion was based on the lack of color on the sticks)

Let me rephrase the question.

Is too much fat (low exercise rate individual) keeping me from losing body fat during ketosis?
    Will ketosis turn to body fat when fat intake is depleted or turn to protein intake for a glucose conversion?

Let me rephrase the question.

Is too much fat (low exercise rate individual) keeping me from losing body fat during ketosis?
    Will ketosis turn to body fat when fat intake is depleted or turn to protein intake for a glucose conversion?
    Too many calories is the only thing that will prevent you from losing fat.

Too little fat will lead to lack of energy, lack of ideal hormonal environment for fat loss/muscle retaining, and increased hunger.

And yes, done for longer periods of time will lead to higher protein conversion.

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    (low exercise rate individual)
    How low are your exercise levels? This is likely to be the biggest reason you're not in ketosis.

Originally Posted by chimponarope View Post
    How low are your exercise levels? This is likely to be the biggest reason you're not in ketosis.
    I got on the treadmill for 20 minutes yesterday. First exercise I've had since Fall Softball.

I sit at a desk, I come home and do homework at my desk. I'm married with 2 kids and 2 on the way...there just isn't time for exercise and 6 hours of sleep.

vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I bought ketostix today as well and it doesn't show a slight trace of ketones... This is my 3rd day in keto and I was feeling alot of fatigue yesterday when lifting. I'm pretty sure I'm entering ketosis if not already in it since I had less then 25g of carbs these couple of days, so I don't think the ketostix is accurate.
    "Leave your ego at the door"

NASM Certified Personal Trainer

IG - Siberian.beast
    ********.com/Siberian.beast

I'm married with 2 kids and 2 on the way...there just isn't time for exercise and 6 hours of sleep.
    I'm married with 3 kids, work 9-5, sons wrestling practice from 5:30-7:30, pick up daughter from dance class about 8:00.

I get up at 4:30 and get to the gym at 5:00 when it opens. There is time.

Now, I average 4 hours sleep, and it's not ideal, but if you wanted to do it you could.

I'm not criticizing you, but don't make excuses. If you don't want to do it don't do it.

Originally Posted by vDa View Post
    I bought ketostix today as well and it doesn't show a slight trace of ketones... This is my 3rd day in keto and I was feeling alot of fatigue yesterday when lifting. I'm pretty sure I'm entering ketosis if not already in it since I had less then 25g of carbs these couple of days, so I don't think the ketostix is accurate.
    It's not that they're inaccurate, there are just too many variables to list to take into account, such as hydration levels, time of day, etc. You're doing it right. Keep it up.

vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vDa is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's not that they're inaccurate, there are just too many variables to list to take into account, such as hydration levels, time of day, etc. You're doing it right. Keep it up.
    Right on man!

I just got back from the gym, did an hour workout and then 40 minutes of cardio, pretty intense. Got home and whipped out the magic stick (ROFL) and it turned purple! I know it doesn't mean much but now I know atleast that when I workout (+ do cardio) my body uses fat as a fuel source, so I'm happy and more motivated then ever!!!

FYI,Today before doing anything just sitting at home it didn't turn purple, and after lifting it did, so means when my body is using fuel its using ketones! Sorry alittle offtopic but I thought I'd let the OP know try testing yourself right after a long cardio session or lifting!
    "Leave your ego at the door"

NASM Certified Personal Trainer

IG - Siberian.beast
    ********.com/Siberian.beast

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I got on the treadmill for 20 minutes yesterday. First exercise I've had since Fall Softball.

I sit at a desk, I come home and do homework at my desk. I'm married with 2 kids and 2 on the way...there just isn't time for exercise and 6 hours of sleep.
    Congrats on the ones on the way (got another one due soon myself) BUT if you're not going to exercise you're not going to be able to carb up etc as you're just setting yourself up for failure (pretty much no exercise will stop you getting back into ketosis quickly enough). Without the carb ups do you still want to do this?

I sit at a desk too, and it's a nightmare for general activity but it can be done. Thought about some DB's at home? You could run a decent allover workout at home with just some DB's, obviously you're not going to get huge but could be enough to help you out.

I'm married with 3 kids, work 9-5, sons wrestling practice from 5:30-7:30, pick up daughter from dance class about 8:00.

I get up at 4:30 and get to the gym at 5:00 when it opens. There is time.

Now, I average 4 hours sleep, and it's not ideal, but if you wanted to do it you could.

I'm not criticizing you, but don't make excuses. If you don't want to do it don't do it.

Just for comparison sake, I get up at 5:30 to leave at 6:30 for 7-4 job. Then I get home eat dinner, spend an hour with the wife and kids, and it's homework/research till 11-12.

Just finished my Masters Degree and have a break till January when I start my PhD studies. Then it's busy time again.

I do have P90X...guess I could break that in half do half in the morning and half at night.

Originally Posted by vDa View Post
    Right on man!

I just got back from the gym, did an hour workout and then 40 minutes of cardio, pretty intense. Got home and whipped out the magic stick (ROFL) and it turned purple! I know it doesn't mean much but now I know atleast that when I workout (+ do cardio) my body uses fat as a fuel source, so I'm happy and more motivated then ever!!!

FYI,Today before doing anything just sitting at home it didn't turn purple, and after lifting it did, so means when my body is using fuel its using ketones! Sorry alittle offtopic but I thought I'd let the OP know try testing yourself right after a long cardio session or lifting!
    Obviously Keto has best results with WO. I'll kick it in to high gear for the next 3 weeks and see what happens. Putting veggies back in for lunch and dinner.

In StL...cool. I work for Charter at Manchester and 270.

I understand bro. At 8:30 when we get home from work/extracirriculars, we start with dinner and kids homework.

I do have P90X...guess I could break that in half do half in the morning and half at night.
    There you go. Or just half period.

My routine is abbreviated to hell. I lift for about 30 min 4x a week with an occasional 10-15 min sprint session thrown in there.

Us old people with a bunch of kids running around and stresses of work and family (not to mention lack of sleep) can't do high volume routines anyway. It would just be a one way ticket to overtraining. Even one or two days of s full body routine would be great.
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 12-16-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Holidays....ugh

Holidays are the will power killer. Get the family together, put out the candies and cookies, and I'm superman falling to my knees clutching my chest from all the kryptonite snacks.

I didn't have that much I kept it very moderate, even for me, yet I was horribly sick to my stomach. Even my diet soda is tasting too sweet.

Is Keto having this big of an effect on my body? Does anyone else not eat sweets cause you just don't like them anymore after prolonged Ketosis?

Well dropped Ketosis for 12/24 - 1/2 Gained 7 lbs to 255.

Back to 248 last night...so (as grass as this is) it must have mostly been waste.

It worked...the stick went pink

It was a small amount, but it finally showed up. 2 weeks and 2 days into the diet.

Weighed in at 244 last night. Even without the scientific proof the diet has been working.

I've been enjoying the meat a little too much, I need to get back to the leaner cuts.

kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kodyt21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Took me 8 days to show 140+ on ketostix..

Today is day 4...

heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I need to get back to the leaner cuts.
    Why? That's my favorite part of keto...

That and all the eggs.

zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10) zarion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was showing ketones on the stix clearly on my second day on the diet. Looking forward to carb up tomorrow

Blaine Train has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaine Train has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Today is day 4...
    you can feel your body for lack of a better word dying while you enter keto then once its fully kicked in its like nothing happened. watch interview with the vampire for me it was like that i felt like i was dying at work and then 3 hours later i felt great.
    Just Win Baby.

Originally Posted by heytred View Post
    Why? That's my favorite part of keto...

That and all the eggs.
    Because my exercise level is null. I'm a full time student/employee/father. Time is not on my side.